Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could of..would of.. should of?

SOMDColtsfan

This will be a bitter sweet pill to swallow if the Colts turn this defense into a monster right off the bat. All the years the offense carried this team and striking gold only once when the defense finally showed up at the end of `06. Happy to see changes but cant help think what might have been. Dynasty like never seen before?

Think of all the difference makers the Baltimore defense has in place....

Nagata... Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs... and that's just off the top of my head... I know I'm forgetting some very good players...

But they've got big time talent that fits their line-up.... lots of it.... it will take us a few years -- at least -- to have all the right pieces in place...

Nagata... Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs... and that's just off the top of my head... I know I'm forgetting some very good players...

But they've got big time talent that fits their line-up.... lots of it.... it will take us a few years -- at least -- to have all the right pieces in place...

Corners that can cover.....

How much of the corner problems was scheme- playing 7-10 yards off the line and a non existent pass rush?IMO, I dont think this D will be as bad as many are projecting and cant possibly be as bad as last year.

Honestly, if we had decent corner play, we would have been way better. Our front 7 was decent, but our secondary was always lacking. When we finally got a decent secondary (Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea), we went to the Super Bowl and won it all. And if our corners didn't play so far off in the 2009 Super Bowl, and we had a healthy Freeney, I don't think there's any question that we win that game. I put more of the blame on the playcalling though. Dungy, Meeks, and Coyer were never that great. Dungy's Tampa 2 was good in Tampa because he had the players for it and we didn't have them here.

Honestly, if we had decent corner play, we would have been way better. Our front 7 was decent, but our secondary was always lacking. When we finally got a decent secondary (Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea), we went to the Super Bowl and won it all. And if our corners didn't play so far off in the 2009 Super Bowl, and we had a healthy Freeney, I don't think there's any question that we win that game. I put more of the blame on the playcalling though. Dungy, Meeks, and Coyer were never that great. Dungy's Tampa 2 was good in Tampa because he had the players for it and we didn't have them here.

Hey! That injured Freeney managed to push a 300+ lbs O-Lineman right into Drew Brees lol (Just Saying). But I totally Agree. We should've Won that Game

Actually we werent the only team that had Corners back off the line an the 10 yard cushions were dumb but there werent that many. most of them were regular 5-6-7 yards off and thats not much, the problem was missed tackles by Corners do to bad angles or over pursuit, of which there was plenty and seemingly the lack of instincts on our Corners to jump the route and make the interception, I watched a play in particular where Powers was late on jumping a screen pass to Mike Wallace that went for pretty decent yards

You just named 4 difference makers off the top of your head. Throw in McClain, Johnson, Landry, etc. as pretty decent players too.

If you play the "Ours/Theirs" game, and say which players from our D would start on theirs, we'd say Freeney and Mathis (they may not agree to that). Bethea is great but is he's no Reed.

Just goes to show how far we are from that monster when it comes to personnel.

You just named 4 difference makers off the top of your head. Throw in McClain, Johnson, Landry, etc. as pretty decent players too.

If you play the "Ours/Theirs" game, and say which players from our D would start on theirs, we'd say Freeney and Mathis (they may not agree to that). Bethea is great but is he's no Reed.

Yup...... really good post. Our defense can and likely will be much improved. But something that good didn't get built that fast. This won't be complete by this same time next year. Even with all that new-found cap money to spend. It just takes time to get the right people into place.

But, that's OK..... it should be fun watching that monster get built..!

Hey! That injured Freeney managed to push a 300+ lbs O-Lineman right into Drew Brees lol (Just Saying). But I totally Agree. We should've Won that Game

Yeah, but right after we got that sack, they changed and went to 3 step drops and quick passes. It's very easy to complete a 4 yard slant route when the DB is 7 yards off the ball. High school teams could complete that pass against NFL defenses

colts front 7 has been awful over the years especially the dt position. the lb's were bad as well with the exception of bracket but he couldn't stop the run. i have no idea what colts teams you've been watching over the years but we always had problems in the front 7.our secondary was the strength of the defense with bethea,sanders,hayden,jackson. we were usually rank top 15 in pass defense but dead last against the run. from 2006 to 2009 nfl commentators like colinsworth,gruden have mentioned on several occasions that the colts had the best safety tandem in the league

colts front 7 has been awful over the years especially the dt position. the lb's were bad as well with the exception of bracket but he couldn't stop the run. i have no idea what colts teams you've been watching over the years but we always had problems in the front 7.our secondary was the strength of the defense with bethea,sanders,hayden,jackson. we were usually rank top 15 in pass defense but dead last against the run. from 2006 to 2009 nfl commentators like colinsworth,gruden have mentioned on several occasions that the colts had the best safety tandem in the league

Our DTs were bad, but DEs and LBs were better than advertised. And our pass defense was ranked high because teams didn't need to pass on us. I think a few years ago, we set the record by only allowing 6 pass TDs all season. However, that is because our run defense was so bad, teams didn't need to pass the ball. They would run it, score points, run the clock, keep Peyton on the sidelines, and avoid throwing INTs

to be honest i dont see a problem with our front 7. I mean Redding,McKinney,Nevis,Moala,Chapman those guys are over 300 lbs. should be able to contain the run. then freeney,Mathis,Angerer and who ever wins the other ILB job. the front 7 should be decent. Safety position should be fine too, yeah Zbikowski is no Ed Reed or Landry but he still can be good at the SS and Bethea at FS maybe even try to move rucker to safety see how he does there, maybe he will shock us all and play better at safety then he did at CB.

Great feedback, alot of different opinions and all valid points. I`m just glad change is on the way even if it takes a little while. So tired of seeing a Colts defense that nobody feared and poor coaching, wrong personnel or whatever the reasons were to be "that defense". Reading some of Robert Mathis` tweets along the way this off season I believe the players were tired of being "that defense" also and ready for change. A coach the players will go to war for may make a big difference and turn them into over-achievers. We shall see!

This will be a bitter sweet pill to swallow if the Colts turn this defense into a monster right off the bat. All the years the offense carried this team and striking gold only once when the defense finally showed up at the end of `06. Happy to see changes but cant help think what might have been. Dynasty like never seen before?

Hi its Mike i use to read your blogs on the other website( Big BERT JONES FAN ) I no how you feel sometimes its hard to move on but im looking foward and can't wait

I think Redding might be able to start on their defense....pure conjecture.

The D line should be a stone-wall.

For a stone wall we need more bricks, those will be bought next season. I think the new FO has more sense than believing O-line alone can take us to SB again.

Patience fellow-fans! We will have both good O- and D-line after a few season. this is a systematic building or rebuilding process, no matter what Pags says.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'll agree the d-backs playing off 5-10 yards was easy pickin's for Brees to march down the field.

But there were other reasons we lost that SB:

1) Peyton's horrible pick 6 slant pass.

2) Our head coach (who will remain nameless) playing uber-conservative.

3) Hank Baskett.

Harper and David were the starters for the super bowl team. With that said Harper was a very under rated corner. I would gladly take a nick harper in his prime right now.

Hi its Mike i use to read your blogs on the other website( Big BERT JONES FAN ) I no how you feel sometimes its hard to move on but im looking foward and can't wait

Same here as far as cant wait to see whats been assembled this offseason. As fans we cant complain with so many winning seasons, just wish they finished the deal a few more times with such a great offense but mediocre defense. I think Irsay realized and it struck him early last year it has to be a balanced effort on both sides of the ball and it set his mind/decision in stone to make neccessary changes. Come on September!

How much of the corner problems was scheme- playing 7-10 yards off the line and a non existent pass rush?IMO, I dont think this D will be as bad as many are projecting and cant possibly be as bad as last year.

Excellent point and I believe that is Bert Jones in your avatar...nice!

That game still haunts me

haha, you're not the only one man. That was the year that they had the Bounty in Effect. I believe the Commish. should've STRIPPED them of the Super Bowl Title. Take their Rings off their Fingers, & bring it to Indy. Call Peyton back from Denver & Everyone else in FA to come get their Rings. That game was RIGGED. lol IMO