Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

I can see your point, but I honestly think the message coming from the top is that they need to protect AR and limit him running. 

I also think if they decide to make him into a true dual threat QB, it'll last for just one game.

I'll leave this here.  https://www.aol.com/florida-qb-anthony-richardson-injured-213958383.html

you could be right, but man that wouldn't make a lot of sense would it. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Basic coaching. You don’t throw the ball with at your pen five yard line with little time left. Especially when you get the ball back in second.

Oh ... I agree that it was horrible play calling. Just saying we were not going to kill the hat with 1 or 2 kneel downs. We still could have to defend from Houston picking up less than 20 yards . It was either 3 runs or maybe a screen to Taylor mixed in.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is one thing I agree with. When we let him be himself the WR got more open and the run game by the other backs improved.

They weren’t throwing it anyway 

I agree. So then AR could have stayed in the game and simply handed the ball off.

Instead he took himself out. Which in the grand scheme of the how the game played out, doesn't matter. But it makes him look weak to the other players to take him self out of the game just to catch his breath.

QB's like Vick, Lamar Jackson, etc. who are running QBs never take themselves out to catch their breath.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I didn’t read this close enough. Looks like AR might be getting his wrist xrayed

Was that at the beginning of the game? Every AR apologist hopes so... 😁

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Oh ... I agree that it was horrible play calling. Just saying we were not going to kill the hat with 1 or 2 kneel downs. We still could have to defend from Houston picking up less than 20 yards . It was either 3 runs or maybe a screen to Taylor mixed in.

Huh. Texans are not using their time outs with that little time left 

football is just a crazy sport when you look at it. when all things go right, AR could literally be a one of a kind QB, but when things consistently go wrong he looks like the absolute worst, and out of position. 

Remember how great Watson looked as a young QB? Him and Luck were always a must watch. I thought we were going to get a rivalry between stroud and AR, but there isn't even a competition at this point. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AKB said:

you could be right, but man that wouldn't make a lot of sense would it. 

Bro, I came on here a couple weeks ago saying that He's not a pocket passer. He can't run the prototypical RPO because he is not consistently accurate in the short to intermediate levels in the quick read, and he cant always run because he always gets hurt. 3 strikes. It's over. 

16 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Here's the dilemma: Flacco is the better QB now, but he's not the long term answer at the QB position. We don't know if AR is either, but he's SUPPOSED to be, so you gotta let him play.

From Ballard to Steichen, they're all invested in making AR into a franchise QB. They have a tough task ahead of them.

Oh, and as his coach, you can't let him run because he's going to get injured. And you can't call short passes because of his inaccuracy. So whatever you do, you're going to look really bad as a coach. 

Then they’re all gonna soon be unemployed. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Huh. Texans are not using their time outs with that little time left 

You must be kidding . Why wouldn't they use their time outs with the ball on the colts 12 yard line. Your "huh" is perplexing.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Bro, I came on here a couple weeks ago saying that He's not a pocket passer. He can't run the prototypical RPO because he is not consistently accurate in the short to intermediate levels in the quick read, and he cant always run because he always gets hurt. 3 strikes. It's over. 

i agree, i too think he can't run an NFL offense. 

that's why people are ripping shane. but if the FO believes AR to be a guy that can get to that level, then shane is gonna run a gameplan to cater that type of growth, or those types of looks. it's a confusing issue really.

when it comes down to it, we wouldn't have this issue if we didn't select an inexperienced athlete to play the hardest position in football

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Yeah, I don't get the fans harping on this singular play that he sat out. It was 3rd and 20 something and the play call was a planned handoff so Steichen must have taught differently about this 'key play'. I think people who want Flacco to start over him are just latching onto a nothingburger here. There's plenty of of valid reason that one would want Flacco to start, but AR being a quitter isn't one.

I never stated I wanted Flacco to start. I have never seen a starting Qb take himself out of the game  like a Running Back. He lacks toughness and that isn't something that's good to witness as a starting Qb with a Captain patch. I bet Michael Pittman was deflated after gutting it out every week and seeing his Qb Tap out

• Like 2

My thoughts.

Taylor, Dayo, Moore, and Buckner all played great games.  

Here are my thoughts on someone who’s watched George, Manning, and Luck early in their careers.  Richardson is reminding me a lot of George than the later two and that’s not good.  You just aren’t seeing the progression.  If anything it’s getting worse as teams figure him out.  Rather they are all his fault or not you just can’t win in the league when your QB goes 2-15 in the first half and gives up the game deciding INT and then completes 33% of his passes for the game.  Yes Shane and the WRs need to help him but he also has to be better.  He’s also proving to be very stubborn.  They said on the past two broadcasts the coaches have told him he needs to get down and his response is I don’t really want to do that I like my chances because I am bigger.  That tells me he’s still playing with a mentality that he’s just the best athlete on the field.  That works in high school and maybe even in college but when you get to the NFL it doesn’t because these guys know how to hit and you aren’t always bigger or the best athlete on the field.  That’s why I was saying up to the draft and on draft night I wanted nothing to do with AR.  I just don’t think he’s a NFL level QB because the passing just isn’t there.  

With that said he’s going to get the rest of this year and maybe next year so no I am not in the play Flacco camp.  Yes it might get you in the playoffs but he’s not winning you the Super Bowl which is what we wall want and he’s an answer for the rest of this year and maybe next and that’s it.  Then you are going to have the same ugly hole the Colts have had since Luck left with no way to repair it.  So while I think ultimately Richardson is going to bust out I do think it’s in the Colts best interest to play him.  I will say if he busts out you fire everyone and start over with a new QB, GM, and coach.  I will also say I want to be wrong. I want AR to work and will continue to pull for him to work but right now you are seeing flashes of greatness few and far between which is exactly what you saw with George.  

So how do you help him?  It starts with Shane.  He needs to realize they didn’t draft CJ Stroud who is comfortable in the pocket and making plays from there.  The announcers in the past two games and Rick Vinturi have both said AR is not comfortable in the pocket and he’s not the pocket passer Shane keeps trying to play him as.  Like it or not you drafted a running QB so you have to let him run and let him move and depend on your ground game.  The offense we saw from AR the past two weeks to start the second half is when he’s at his best, letting him move and run if he wants and maximizing JT.

The Colts game plan today was awful.  JT runs wild on the Texans and you know AR has been struggling yet the Colts come out trying to be a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type offense and don’t use the run game at all until the second half.  Then Taylor gets going and you get down to the red zone and what happens?  You instantly take the ball out of Taylor’s hands and go back pocket passing with AR and what happens the whole drive nearly implodes!  

Yes AR has to be smart running and has to learn rather he wants too he needs to get down or get out of bounds even if it means getting a few less yards.  The last drive was a prime example of that.  Rather than go out of bounds and stop the clock he cuts up to get 7 or 8 yards and loses 15 seconds that they could have very well gotten into field goal range with because he thinks he’s about to bust off an 80 yard TD run if he splits the defense.  Yes in high school or college you might be able to do that and it might very well work because you are that much better than everyone else but that is not the case in the NFL.  These guys are faster, bigger, and stronger than anyone you’ve played in your life, even if you played in the SEC in college.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, IndyEV said:

If we are sticking with AR, we need to sell sell sell at the trade deadline and get as many picks as possible! Get 1 or 2 high 1st round picks next year and rebuild! Hopefully we will have a new GM/DC by that time to get the right players in here! Let’s face it, winning the division is out of reach now, and this team would be better off missing the playoffs! 
spacer.png

Lol

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

My thoughts.

Taylor, Dayo, Moore, and Buckner all played great games.  

Here are my thoughts on someone who’s watched George, Manning, and Luck early in their careers.  Richardson is reminding me a lot of George than the later two and that’s not good.  You just aren’t seeing the progression.  If anything it’s getting worse as teams figure him out.  Rather they are all his fault or not you just can’t win in the league when your QB goes 2-15 in the first half and gives up the game deciding INT and then completes 33% of his passes for the game.  Yes Shane and the WRs need to help him but he also has to be better.  He’s also proving to be very stubborn.  They said on the past two broadcasts the coaches have told him he needs to get down and his response is I don’t really want to do that I like my chances because I am bigger.  That tells me he’s still playing with a mentality that he’s just the best athlete on the field.  That works in high school and maybe even in college but when you get to the NFL it doesn’t because these guys know how to hit and you aren’t always bigger or the best athlete on the field.  That’s why I was saying up to the draft and on draft night I wanted nothing to do with AR.  I just don’t think he’s a NFL level QB because the passing just isn’t there.  

With that said he’s going to get the rest of this year and maybe next year so no I am not in the play Flacco camp.  Yes it might get you in the playoffs but he’s not winning you the Super Bowl which is what we wall want and he’s an answer for the rest of this year and maybe next and that’s it.  Then you are going to have the same ugly hole the Colts have had since Luck left with no way to repair it.  So while I think ultimately Richardson is going to bust out I do think it’s in the Colts best interest to play him.  I will say if he busts out you fire everyone and start over with a new QB, GM, and coach.  I will also say I want to be wrong. I want AR to work and will continue to pull for him to work but right now you are seeing flashes of greatness few and far between which is exactly what you saw with George.  

So how do you help him?  It starts with Shane.  He needs to realize they didn’t draft CJ Stroud who is comfortable in the pocket and making plays from there.  The announcers in the past two games and Rick Vinturi have both said AR is not comfortable in the pocket and he’s not the pocket passer Shane keeps trying to play him as.  Like it or not you drafted a running QB so you have to let him run and let him move and depend on your ground game.  The offense we saw from AR the past two weeks to start the second half is when he’s at his best, letting him move and run if he wants and maximizing JT.

The Colts game plan today was awful.  JT runs wild on the Texans and you know AR has been struggling yet the Colts come out trying to be a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type offense and don’t use the run game at all until the second half.  Then Taylor gets going and you get down to the red zone and what happens?  You instantly take the ball out of Taylor’s hands and go back pocket passing with AR and what happens the whole drive nearly implodes!  

Yes AR has to be smart running and has to learn rather he wants too he needs to get down or get out of bounds even if it means getting a few last year.  The last drive was a prime example of that.  Rather than go out of bounds and stop the clock he cuts up to get 7 or 8 yards and loses 15 seconds that they could have very well gotten into field goal range with because he thinks he’s about to bust off an 80 yard TD run if he splits the defense.  Yes in high school or college you might be able to do that and it might very well work because you are that much better than everyone else but that is not the case in the NFL.  These guys are faster, bigger, and stronger than anyone you’ve played in your life, even if you played in the SEC in college.  

a very sensible post. but you left out Ballard. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wasn’t talking about Allen now. Don’t be silly. I was talking about his traits. You don’t make him a pocket passer every play with seven step drops 

While I agree with you that Josh Allen as a rookie had the ability to throw and run, like AR does, Josh Allen was able to stay healthy when running. He did so in college and in the NFL. This is something that AR has proven he cannot do and that's why I disagree with the comparison.

Just now, dw49 said:

Plenty of blame to go around here including 2 bad penalties  by Pittman that turned 2 possiblle TD's into FGs. Another by Joesph that cost us 12 yards of field position on that last drive. Really an inexcusable block in the back . Horrible play calling and we need a better MLB.

You are correct, plus Pittman missing the catch that the defender timed right to hit him.

Everyone wants to blame someone, but it's a team sport.

I want to blame the coaching, cause these young kids have talent. IMO 

They are not being coached and prepared enough to win on weekends.

Now don't take me the wrong way cause Ballard could have and still help this young team in the free agency. But I love how the team can make wins out of close wins even after bad play calling and coaching!!

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wasn’t talking about Allen now. Don’t be silly. I was talking about his traits. You don’t make him a pocket passer every play with seven step drops 

Chloe. You can die on the AR hill/Steichen is hurting him all you want. Truth is, AR is NEVER going to be consistent enough to be a solid QB in this league. What you are seeing is what you are going to get and every time something goes array, you can pick any excuse you want however the excuses will always be there. This is the issue with this guy. He is fools gold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AR on why he tapped out: “I’m not gonna lie. I was tired. That was a lot of running I did right there. I needed a break.” 

Face of the franchise.

He doesn’t learn from his mistakes. He seems to lack self awareness. I hope he figures it out because the alternative will set the franchise back, but the kid is becoming tougher and tougher for me to root for. My 2 cents. If that stuff doesn’t bother you in a supposed franchise QB, cool. Carry on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Catloaf said:

We might as well run Richardson like crazy... what's the worst that's going to happen?  He gets hurt and we win with Flacco?

we basically need to run the offense that packers did vs us with Willis

The sad reality is that there is zero improvement from AR from game 1 of this year, in fact he may be getting worse.

Today he completed a measly 10 passes on 32 attempts. Just 31.25% completion. He is below 50% all year. 

I think it’s safe to say he is not ready to be an NFL QB…I do think he should be benched and I think he needs to sit and learn and take some additional courses from pro trainers.

It’s unfortunate that it has been this bad so far. Our TOP is an absolute joke…I mean the defense has not been great all year but goodness they have to be on the field so much it’s unrealistic to expect them to hold up all season long at this rate.

Disappointing loss yet again.

• Like 2

Just now, Happy2BeHere said:

The sad reality is that there is zero improvement from AR from game 1 of this year, in fact he may be getting worse.

Today he completed a measly 10 passes on 32 attempts. Just 31.25% completion. He is below 50% all year. 

I think it’s safe to say he is not ready to be an NFL QB…I do think he should be benched and I think he needs to sit and learn and take some additional courses from pro trainers.

It’s unfortunate that it has been this bad so far. Our TOP is an absolute joke…I mean the defense has not been great all year but goodness they have to be on the field so much it’s unrealistic to expect them to hold up all season long at this rate.

Disappointing loss yet again.

did you see the TOP graphic from the week 1 matchup? 

it was 40 mins HOU to 20 mins IND

• Like 2

No. When you let him have some designed runs the WR get more open and it helps JT. Doesn’t mean you can’t let him throw at all.

do you not remember the packers game chloe? that's exactly what they did with willis

11 minutes ago, AKB said:

i agree, i too think he can't run an NFL offense. 

that's why people are ripping shane. but if the FO believes AR to be a guy that can get to that level, then shane is gonna run a gameplan to cater that type of growth, or those types of looks. it's a confusing issue really.

when it comes down to it, we wouldn't have this issue if we didn't select an inexperienced athlete to play the hardest position in football

Correct. I have blamed Ballard for a lot however not so much with the pick. I think he had too in his mind. In fact, if I were to blame Ballard in that draft, I would blame him for not going to 1 as the Panthers did. That's where Ballard made his mistake. He doesn't like to sell the farm and because of that, we got saddled with a shiny tractor who can't work the field of football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JColts72 said:

Imagine Peyton coming out to catch his breathe. Sorry excuse of a football player. Cannot play QB; just switch him already. 

I don’t think I ever saw Peyton Manning get out of two sacks in sprints like that and move around again at a sprint either.  That might very well explain why he was tired.  Again, I have issues with AR as I laid out in this thread but yeah I can understand him being tired there.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I’m starting to lose faith in Shane.  He was grossly out coached again.  

I really don’t think this was an out coached situation or bad play calling because with how bad AR played you can’t cover with playcalling. This was, one team has the better QB and our QB was 2/15. You can’t win with your QB playing like that. If Flacco played we would have won. 

if you want to sum up this game it’s with ARs stat line. He needs to start showing growth. 

• Like 1

I saw the fourth quarter last week and the Steelers game. That’s how the offense should be run. Steichen didn’t do that in GB.

i feel like when you quote me you're kind of talking past me a bit. like we are talking about the same thing, but not really.

The offense Green bay ran versus us was very run heavy, designed runs, and short to intermediate passes with willis with the very occasional shot. 

that's what I think we should run, and then open up from there as he gets comfy. i figure that's also what you're saying, but who knows. seems like we are talking past each other a bit. 

• Thanks 1