Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Like Our Guys?

Smonroe

I was vocal, along with a lot of you, that we needed an experienced CB/S prior to the season.  Ballard always said “I like our guys”.

The last couple weeks he’s been right.  Of course, they’ve faced three QBs that wouldn’t normally be NFL starters.   

The next few weeks will tell the real story.

So, do you think after Sunday we’ll still “like our guys”?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was vocal, along with a lot of you, that we needed an experienced CB/S prior to the season.  Ballard always said “I like our guys”.

The last couple weeks he’s been right.  Of course, they’ve faced three QBs that wouldn’t normally be NFL starters.   

No.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We won't.  However, Ballard probably still would.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

as others have said. We shall see with this murderous row of games we have coming up.  

But I’ll go on record and say I thought a starting CB room of Brents, jones, Moore was formidable and that a good pass rush and stud at FS is what we needed.

so only difference from what I wanted vs what we got is Brents has been injured and Womack stepped in his place, our pass rush has been trash because of injuries, and the experiment of Blackmon at free safety and cross at strong safety has been ok….so I guess I do somewhat like our guys.  lol 

BUT, we really haven’t been tested yet.  The run game has kind of taken the bullets.  Well after these games coming up does this age like fine wine or sour like milk.

28 minutes ago, JackWV said:

As is the norm our secondary is only as good as the pass rush. Stroud will have a lot to determining if "I like our Guys" 

After the next four games we will know all there is need to know..

I agree.  The key to making the secondary look good is getting pressure on the oppositions QB. 

With the rules and the athletic ability of today's WRs,  its next to impossible to cover them.

Ballard saying he like his guys is based on their talent.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Creekside said:

The front seven have been more disappointing than the secondary, especially against the run.

Because they were decimated with injuries. With how the secondary has looked it makes me sad we didn’t get to see this dline at full strength. First to games were disapointing for the dline but they stopped the bleeding some what. I am still not sure what I think of partridge.

43 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yep

I'll say the secondary has preformed better than expected, but it's been against sub par qb's. The next 5 games are going to be a real test.

As far as liking our guys goes, two of them are gone and one is missing the majority of the season. Without Womack this is a different discussion. I do like how Jones is developing. He is becoming a solid starter. Cross is doing well against the run and made a few plays on the pass. Worth more development. Blackmon has shown to be better at strong safety than free. That int against Tennesee was a bright spot in a rather bad game.

It's not all doom and gloom. Nothing about the situation says that enough was done in the offseason though. Only minor moves needed to be made. Like I said earlier, if we don't pick up Womack then we would be in way worse shape. He wasn't even on the roster for the 'We like our guys' comment.

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Well I like our guys really hasn’t panned out that well. Womack who is a pleasant surprise really isn’t one of his “guys”. Jaylon is playing well for a 7th round pick, Cross is playing ok also. The group as a whole is still very lackluster in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Well I like our guys really hasn’t panned out that well. Womack who is a pleasant surprise really isn’t one of his “guys”. Jaylon is playing well for a 7th round pick, Cross is playing ok also. The group as a whole is still very lackluster in my opinion.

With the way the rules are these days,   most secondaries are lack luster.  The key is getting pressure on the qb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting Buck back will make a difference but a great deal of people were saying Latu will be the DROY and that not going to happen. You have to wonder about our scheme in the front seven because no pass rush means losses against decent teams. I think Bradley's system is tired and uninventive and we just need to ride the season out and replace him in the off season

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree.  The key to making the secondary look good is getting pressure on the oppositions QB. 

With the rules and the athletic ability of today's WRs,  its next to impossible to cover them.

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your  post is all this thread needed.

Except, to add, if we had a quality pass rush would our current starters be able to make plays?

Womack has just what I really don't like about Brents who I don't care if he comes back. Womack has the speed to cover most anyone, and the quickness to redirect and close on quality short to medium route running.

So he is worth further watching.

Jones lacks some of what Womack has so he relies on savvy and experience. So to what upside will another season of starting take him?

Cross has some goods and I am certain he has calmed so fears of his doubters. Again, a season of starting will be good for him.

Blackmon is pretty decent but we had to wait till year 4 to see consistent good ball.

Without a quality pass rush we will learn little over the next 5 games. We can watch for mental mistakes like miscommunication/ dropped coverages etc. and for some good individual coverages. Pray for good health so they can get a lot of snaps playing together. They are young and might just turn into a very intellectual unit.

• Like 1

Don’t see what the quarterbacks have to do with it.  If you’re covered you’re covered.  For me it’s scheme more than anything.  If you play soft any NFL quarterback should be able to hit open receivers underneath.  AR has trouble I’m afraid but he’s the exception imo.  I hope we continue the recent trend of allowing Womack and Jones to play more press which they are very good at.  I like our starting secondary right now.  I think they’re doing a good job.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Don’t see what the quarterbacks have to do with it.  If you’re covered you’re covered.  For me it’s scheme more than anything.  If you play soft any NFL quarterback should be able to hit open receivers underneath.  AR has trouble I’m afraid but he’s the exception imo.  I hope we continue the recent trend of allowing Womack and Jones to play more press which they are very good at.  I like our starting secondary right now.  I think they’re doing a good job.

Think Alec Pierce last year with Gardner Minshew vs this year with Richardson. The QB was the whole difference. If the QB isn't a threat to pass down the field then you don't have to defend that.

Last week there were a few times that Hill was open downfield, but there was no chance the QB was going to make that throw. That's not good defense. That's a limited offense.

Now if they are able to contain the big plays against better offenses (with better quarterbacks) then I'd say it's ok for us say Ballard was right for liking our guys.

I agree with hoping we play more press. I won't fully blame the scheme, but it is flawed. These are the players they want in the scheme they play. These players probably don't start on many other teams.

• Like 2

If the D changes things  up with blitzes and press man, therefore  becoming less predictable, the Colts have a solid chance of winning this game. If it’s same old “bend don’t break, rush only the front four” approach, then even if the Houston running game is kept in check, Stroud won’t be pressured, and the D will have a long day. 
The D scheme this week and thereafter will write the script. 

51 minutes ago, Shepman said:

There is also a big gap between liking our guys and I love our guys.  Like is sorta a neutral answer.

In this case it meant he wasn't going to bring anyone in.  You could say that it contributed to the first two losses.  But not being able to stop the run was a bigger factor.

I still believe that we need an experienced CB and S.  This 4 game stretch will tell the story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

With the way the rules are these days,   most secondaries are lack luster.  The key is getting pressure on the qb

I disagree with, I think both go hand in hand to be a well oiled machine. Pressure can cause sacks the QB to make mistakes but tight coverage on the back end can also lead to Sacks and the QB to make mistakes also. I won’t say one is better than the other tbh.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The pass rush has lost Ebukum, Buckner and Paye.   That might have something to do with our lack of pass rush.   

Of course, but speaking for myself, I was very surprised to see the run defense get gashed for almost 500 yds in the first two games... And it's still easy to move the ball on the ground against the Colts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creekside said:

Of course, but speaking for myself, I was very surprised to see the run defense get gashed for almost 500 yds in the first two games... And it's still easy to move the ball on the ground against the Colts.

That’s fair.   It’ll be interesting to see how the Colts look these next few weeks starting Sunday.   

• Like 1