Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We are playing strong safeties at free safety, it felt like. Plus, when your DL is short staffed, the logical response would be to throw in blitzes because they aren’t going to get home often for pressure. 

Coaching mistakes on D all over the place, IMO.

I will concede that the Colts were probably one pass rusher short today.  But we had 4 out  Sam, Paye, Buck and Lewis, and there are many games where the rush has been a non factor, so its not clear it was an injury problem.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

The offense scores 30 plus without your man child AR at the helm. The defense could at least make a professional effort to make one stop and get off the field. Next man up works for teams that draft or trade for good players but not Ballard or his * Defensive coordinator. Did you see the three man rush prevent before the winning field goal. next excuse.

Keep them coming.

Lawrence burned us several times on blitzes

Just now, DougDew said:

I will concede that the Colts were probably one pass rusher short today.  But we had 4 out  Sam, Paye, Buck and Lewis, and there are many games where the rush has been a non factor, so its not as clear as being an injury problem.

The pass rush has been good until injuries hit

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it’s hillarious you all think this defense today is what it usually looks like. This is  not what our defense usually looks like.

Thid defense does not typically look like it did today. Wr couldn’t get pressure today because we had no one on the dline.

However, the defense continues to allow positive yards after initial contact. This has been happening for seasons.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Because of the addition of Latu.  The other guys have been here for years...all of them.... and it has sucked....which is why Latu was drafted.

Just now, DougDew said:

I will concede that the Colts were probably one pass rusher short today.  But we had 4 out  Sam, Paye, Buck and Lewis, and there are many games where the rush has been a non factor, so its not as clear as being an injury problem.

It is two fold. Bad coaching and middle of the road players or like some refer to as 2nd tier players. A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while but not Ballard. He could mess up a wet dream.

2 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

...yet Trevor had a career day against this dead last ranked defense. Injuries or not this should've been a game that was winnable but nothing is easy with this meh built team full of JAG type players that Ballard continues to double down on!! 8 yrs and counting....

and I fully expect Will Levis to have his career game next week

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SR711 said:

- Injuries or not, a defense has to give you more than that if you are going to have any chance of winning a game.  This secondary is not very talented, has no depth (no surprise there I guess to anyone other than Chris Ballard and his minions) and continues to give up big pass plays like its candy on Halloween.  

- We all want AR to develop into a franchise level QB and I think he has the raw tools both physically and mentally to do so.  What Flacco gave us today was mostly a veteran, All pro level performance at QB: essentially the type of performance we would all be happy with if AR puts that out.  Yet, we still lost to an 0-4 team had a struggling QB who had lost the last 9 games he started all because our defense was a complete no show.  A lot of that is on roster construction of a GM who has had 8 years to build this thing in his vision.  I will say it right now: this defense is going mess up with AR development if this continues.  Having to consistently make "hero" plays to make up for what one side of the ball is not giving you is not an ideal way to bring this guy around.  

- In reality, nothing will change because there is and has been a lack of real accountability with this organization for the past several years.  Unfortunately, that starts with the owner holding a certain standard, path for improvement throughout the whole franchise.  

I loved the drafting of AR but  if it doesn't work out,  I won't be bummed out. I am very concerned bout his health and if he does miss more games. The Colts will have to seriously look at going in another direction in 2025.  This cannot go on much longer with AR missing so many games. Two years in and he has played like 8 games. I love the kid but i dont miracously see him becoming this iron warrior. As Tony Dungy always said. History tells you everything about a player.The one thing that is apparent is this. Steichen is a gifted play caller and knows his qbs. He has won with Minshew and Flacco. I would trust him going forward with  a new qb pick in 2025. I never thought we would make the playoffs. I predicted last season that Ballard would be fired and Steichen wild bring in his own guy. I am a year late, lol. I know that Steichen has shown Irsay that he belongs no matter how this season plays out. I believe that Steichen will lead this team forward with his hand-picked GM and new D coordinator. I look forward to that and finally getting rid of Ballard.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed, the pass rush was bad.  But why would have Pays and Lewis made more of a difference than Latu and Dayo?  Paye doesn't sack, he's an edge run defender.  If you tell me its because they were gassed, I'll say they didn't have a pass rush the entire first half.

They make the rotation better when they all play. Just Paye and Lewis by themselves no. But Paye, Latu, Lewis, and Odeynigbo together pushes the pocket better than what we saw today. Injuries have us pretty thin right now 

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

correct , ballard has had so many busts at defensive end and corner its not even funny ...   the players he ends up rewarding with second contracts for the most part dont live up to the amount of money they get .

Paye was the last straw for me. He did nothing to earn a 5th year extension. I don't care if what they gave him wasn't much for a D end. I knew he wouldn't turn the corner and be that guy. We all seen him for 3 years. He could set the edge but had no bend and/or strength. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

The offense scores 30 plus without your man child AR at the helm. The defense could at least make a professional effort to make one stop and get off the field. Next man up works for teams that draft or trade for good players but not Ballard or his * Defensive coordinator. Did you see the three man rush prevent before the winning field goal. next excuse.

Keep them coming.

What an absolute hater you are huh? A personal insult to a player that wasn't even part of any conversation and didn't even play. Some of y'all are incredibly cringy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I loved the drafting of AR but  if it doesn't work out,  I won't be bummed out. I am very concerned bout his health and if he does miss more games. The Colts will have to seriously look at going in another direction in 2025.  This cannot go on much longer with AR missing so many games. Two years in and he has played like 8 games. I love the kid but i dont miracously see him becoming this iron warrior. As Tony Dungy always said. History tells you everything about a player.The one thing that is apparent is this. Steichen is a gifted play caller and knows his qbs. He has won with Minshew and Flacco. I would trust him going forward with  a new qb pick in 2025. I never thought we would make the playoffs. I predicted last season that Ballard would be fired and Steichen wild bring in his own guy. I am a year late, lol. I know that Steichen has shown Irsay that he belongs no matter how this season plays out. I believe that Steichen will lead this team forward with his hand-picked GM and new D coordinator. I look forward to that and finally getting rid of Ballard.

Both AR and AD could be "soft".  It may have been an issue with other teams' predraft analysis.  Its something to watch for, and hope to get reassurance they are not.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not only that, I didn't hear Latu's name all day. Just a terrible defensive performance all-around.

Don't worry. Gus will come out and say we had a lot of break downs and players just got to play within the system.  These players cannot play within the system and/or their role in that system because they just lack talent. They become over whelmed and blow an assignment because they just don't have what it takes to play the postion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What do you mean he burned the colts on blitzes? Lawrence burned them with a MVP completion rate of 87 pct.

next.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Don't worry. Gus will come out and say we had a lot of break downs and players just got to play within the system.  These players cannot play within the system and/or their role in that system because they just lack talent. They become over whelmed and blow an assignment because they just don't have what it takes to play the postion.

Just have to work on their technique

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not only that, I didn't hear Latu's name all day. Just a terrible defensive performance all-around.

I thought the difference clearly was big plays.  Usually other QBs pick us apart.  This game the big play was the difference.  As well as a big running play, which we saw the first two games this season.

BTW, Bixby is good.

• Like 1

Alright after taking some time to digest. I really think this was a lose from the start, and that’s how they treated it. Get everyone healthy and reset for the remainder of the season. 

Flacco was good but he absolutely can not start over a healthy Richardson. This team IS NOT winning the Super Bowl with Flacco. This season is about Richardson development and seeing if he can lead us to the playoffs. So please try to look at it rationally because Flacco starting does absolutely nothing for this team moving forward. 

Without Taylor we have no run game. End of that. 

offensive line played good enough with the Jags knowing we were going to throw every down. 

defense…dumpster fire. The talent is there but there is nobody to develop it or scheme is properly. Gus has to go at some point. Also Chloe don’t use injuries as an excuse this defense was trash when fully healthy. 

at the end of the day, we aren’t catching the Texans. We are 2-3 with a decent shot of fighting for a playoff spot. Let’s see where this goes. 

All game whenever it looked like the Colts offence might make a game of it, I found myself turning negative saying, now it’s on the defence … as if.

I am tired of three decades of bend and too often break defence.  Enough of this.  I am now in the camp of the Colts need to move on from Gus.  Whether it’s at the end of the season or now, I don’t even mind it being now, despite my traditionally thinking that in season is too late to change things up anyway.

Offence basically sucked for the middle of the game, so despite catching fire late, just too little too late.  Steichen has generally not been aggressive enough in his play calling, but there were flashes of what this offence can be when aggressive.

Defence is just epically bad.  The philosophy of it is horrible.

I have steadfastly been in the Ballard camp and I do like Steichen, but honestly, if the end of this season is the end of the Ballard era, I don’t even care anymore.  To have lost this game to the Jaguars is just such an incredible downer to me.  I believe it shows that the Colts are at best pretenders, or at worst, a bottom feeder team.  Results have to eventually speak and to me, this season is the final word for Ballard.

This is as down as I have felt about the Colts since Reich’s last year.  I had to wait 30-something years since the early 1970s for the Colts to finally win a SuperBowl, and it’s now been, what, about 14 years since their last SuperBowl appearance?  I fear I don’t have enough time on this Earth to sit through another multi decades drought.  :(

I hope it turns out that I am wrong about these current Colts, but I am not seeing a spark in them. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Captain_Colts1317 said:

Alright after taking some time to digest. I really think this was a lose from the start, and that’s how they treated it. Get everyone healthy and reset for the remainder of the season. 

Flacco was good but he absolutely can not start over a healthy Richardson. This team IS NOT winning the Super Bowl with Flacco. This season is about Richardson development and seeing if he can lead us to the playoffs. So please try to look at it rationally because Flacco starting does absolutely nothing for this team moving forward. 

offensive line played good enough with the Jags knowing we were going to throw every down. 

defense…dumpster fire. The talent is there but there is nobody to develop it or scheme is properly. Gus has to go at some point. Also Chloe don’t use injuries as an excuse this defense was trash when fully healthy. 

at the end of the day, we aren’t catching the Texans. We are 2-3 with a decent shot of fighting for a playoff spot. Let’s see where this goes. 

Playoffs???

13 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

EJ Speed leads the league in tackles, yet seems to flat out  miss  as many as he makes

That’s because a lot of his tackles come after the ball carrier gets precious yards. 

• Like 1

That loss belongs slowly to the defense. Miss tackles, and every team in the NFL owns us inside the 15 yards. The blitz was virtually nonexistent. Flacco and the rest of the offense are all that kept us in it.  Braden Smith owns the most mistakes in that game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Anyway, offence basically sucked for the middle of the game, so despite catching fire late, Just too little too late.  Steichen has generally not been aggressive enough in his play calling, but there were flashes of what this offence can be when aggressive,

JAX had us pinned at our 5 yard line 2 drives in a row.  One by a (probably) bad FC by Downs, and the other on the interception by Cross.  Play calling had to be limited there.

We scored 34 points with no gifts provided by the D in term of FP.  I can't believe we are going to bag on play calling or QBing.

4 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

The defensive talent wasn’t there today. They are all hurt.

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

All game whenever it looked like the Colts offence might make a game of it, I found myself turning negative saying, now it’s on the defence … as if.

I am tired of three decades of bend and too often break defence.  Enough of this.  I am now in the camp of the Colts need to move on from Gus.  Whether it’s at the end of the season or now, I don’t even mind it being now, despite my traditionally thinking that in season is too late to change things up anyway.

Anyway, offence basically sucked for the middle of the game, so despite catching fire late, Just too little too late.  Steichen has generally not been aggressive enough in his play calling, but there were flashes of what this offence can be when aggressive,

Defence is just epically bad.  The philosophy of it is horrible.

I have steadfastly been in the Ballard camp and I do like Steichen, but honestly, if the end of this season is the end of the Ballard era, I don’t even care anymore.  To have lost this game to the Jaguars is just such an incredible downer to me.  I believe it shows that the Colts are at best pretenders, or at worst, a bottom feeder team.  Results have to eventually speak and to me, this season is the final word for Ballard.

This is as down as I have felt about the Colts since Reich’s last year.  I had to wait 30-something years since the early 1970s for the Colts to finally win a SuperBowl, and it’s now been, what, about 14 years since their last SuperBowl appearance?  I fear I don’t have enough time on this Earth to sit through another multi decades drought.  :(

I hope it turns out that I am wrong about these current Colts, but I am not seeing a spark in them. Sad.

I am tired of it too and I was a fan when we moved here so I have seen the real bad with Pagel and Kush, Dowhower, and George, etc.. I never would have ever thought we could lose 10 straight games at Jacks of all places. 

• Like 1