Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

To me, he doesn’t look nearly as good as he did last year.  I think they are stifling his game, worrying about injury.

I guess we have to accept this is an evaluation season.  The defense is below average, so this team isn’t going far (IMHO) unless AR turns it around fast.  

I do see progression , the ball is going to the right people he is just missing high , he is coming off a shoulder surgery and hasn’t played a lot of football, this offseason was spent rehabbing. He need to just keep playing and fine tuning his mechanics. Them high throws I feel like is when he is trying to take some off the ball and it doesn’t come in hot and kind of sails. But I see progression even doe he looks ruff. He is protecting him self and learning to play from the pocket. 

You want an honest evaluation, he’s looking like a backup QB with flashes of talent, with the speed of the game rattling him now that DCs around the league have more film for his weaknesses for throws underneath with inconsistent mechanics.

His inconsistency is wild, there’s truly no consistent floor to build on. Sooner or later, if he lets it get to him, he’ll start thinking too much about it. That’s where the coaching needs to settle him down and help him more. Eventually he has to execute 

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

You want an honest evaluation, he’s looking like a backup QB with flashes of talent, with the speed of the game rattling him now that DCs around the league have more film for his weaknesses for throws underneath with inconsistent mechanics.

He is basically a rookie but we aren't using him right. I love Shane but the last 2 weeks his play calling has me puzzled. We need to use a playbook similar to what the Ravens do with Lamar, AR needs to run more. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is basically a rookie but we aren't using him right. I love Shane but the last 2 weeks his play calling has me puzzled. We need to use a playbook similar to what the Ravens do with Lamar, AR needs to run more. 

Its not that simplistic. He isn’t responding well to the fact DCs are exploiting his underneath throwing weaknesses. The coaches have to settle him down mentally, I feel. Shane did use JT more but at some point, AR has to grow mentally and have more calm while executing. Shane can only do so much with his mechanics.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Its not that simplistic. He isn’t responding well to the fact DCs are exploiting his underneath throwing weaknesses. The coaches have to settle him down mentally, I feel. Shane did use JT more but at some point, AR has to grow mentally and have more calm while executing. Shane can only do so much.

Regarding JT, yes I loved 23 carries, that is what needs to be done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

James Boyd posted this. Even though he was limited last season his mechanics were not this bad. I think he is still working through this stuff because of the surgery.

Yeah, you can tell the mechanics regression.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Don’t you think they’re holding him back?  They need to call at least one or two runs early just to keep the D’s attention.  

I’m definitely starting to sense they want him to run less. And maybe that is in conjunction with his wishes, he’s outright said he doesn’t want to run as much, but that’s such an integral part of his game they need to take more advantage of it than they have so far this season. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I’m definitely starting to sense they want him to run less. And maybe that is in conjunction with his wishes, he’s outright said he doesn’t want to run as much, but that’s such an integral part of his game they need to take more advantage of it than they have so far this season. 

I don't mind him running near the endzone. That play where he run over Bryd was a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

To early to determine “progress”…more time is needed. It’s highly unusual to see any meaningful progress in a handful of games.

Sorry, I disagree.  You may not see leaps and bounds each game, but you should see improvement.  

The interceptions were worse today than last week.  He’s still missing wide open receivers.  

I’m hoping it’s rust (and I won’t start again about wth didn’t they play him in the preseason).  He looked so good last season, I expected more now.  

3 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

The second int I think he would have been fine if he just took off running instead of throwing the pass. He definitely looks like he’s being coached to run less.

He easily had the first down and could have slid or gone out of bounds.  So extremely minuscule chance of injury.  

Take the d… layups!

• Like 1

I do see progress, minimal, but it’s progress.  

He’s better at making his reads.  More of his mistakes have came from bad throws rather than bad reads.

His throwing/accuracy has seemed to stay the same.  I’m not worried about this.  He’s played essentially 7 nfl games.  The more experience and coaching he gets, we should see improvement throughout the year.  And as I’ve mentioned before, don’t think Shane has been doing him any favors.  The game plan we saw for the last qtr and a half of the last game, I’d like to see going forward for the entire game unless otherwise.

hes regressed with his decision making regarding taking off.  Not sure if that’s coaching or him.  Would like to see him take off for the easy yards and slide rather than make an off one foot throw for an INT. 

he’s finished every game he’s played in, huge improvement regarding health.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

To me, he doesn’t look nearly as good as he did last year.  I think they are stifling his game, worrying about injury.

I guess we have to accept this is an evaluation season.  The defense is below average, so this team isn’t going far (IMHO) unless AR turns it around fast.  

IMO very little. He’s still being careless with the ball, he doesn’t seem to be able to hit on the routine throws. Idk if it’s nerves or if he’s thinking too much but he doesn’t seem to be processing everything as he should. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jemack said:

I think he actually regressed...

Absolutely.  At the beginning of last year, he looked better than this.  He looked confident and somewhat accurate.  He currently looks like the worst starting QB in the league. 

He can throw an occasional bomb?  NFL history is littered with inaccurate QBs who could connect on an occasional bomb.  If you can’t put together consistent drives, it doesn't mean anything.  It will never be enough.

Stream some high school football from Friday night.  He is missing throws that high school QBs routinely make.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

No progress at putting drives together. None at all 

They held the ball 10 minutes longer than us.  When your D gives up 9 of 21 3rd down attempts and 4 of 5 on 4th (I think), you just can’t keep putting them on the field. 

Amazing we won.

Imo, the coaches are failing AR by making him do something that I just don't think he can do right now in his career which is sit in the pocket and make throws. Also once again very little plays to the TEs. Why are we taking away easy throws for AR to make to atleast build his confidence and sustain drives

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Imo, the coaches are failing AR by making him do something that I just don't think he can do right now in his career which is sit in the pocket and make throws. Also once again very little plays to the TEs. Why are we taking away easy throws for AR to make to atleast build his confidence and sustain drives

This x10.  I just don’t understand how people expect the youngest starting qb in the league with the least amount of experience regarding the position PERIOD to come in and light it up.  

• Thanks 1

A lot of people on this forum said the 4 games he played last year wasn’t enough of a sample size to know much about him, so why would 3 games be sufficient this season to judge if he’s progressing? I’ll continue watching each week and hoping we see growth over the course of the season. A long way to go this season, a lot of football to be played. 

I’ll tell you where he is very obviously progressing- playing full games. That shouldn’t be understated, given it was the largest concern for many on here. I believe in AR to keep putting the work in to get better. He’s a good dude, he’ll bust his butt for this team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I actually think he looks better. I like how when he is running, he’s trying to protect himself vs going head to head with Linebackers . The running and getting down before the hit is a huge positive.

the accuracy will come. Most of what I’m seeing is happy feet like he’s trying to play too fast. I think as the game slows down for him, the happy feet will go away, the feelings of ghosts will go away, and he’ll be able to put the right touch on the balls.

that said, I saw a bunch of drops, one each by Taylor and Downs, Pittman dropped one too. So it’s not all on AR, though ultimately he is responsible as QB