Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama

MTC

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a pick this was! This kid has 3rd round talent and a lot of potential in this league. I mean, he played with Nick Saban. He should share snaps with McKinney and hopefully become a good NT in this league. I have a feeling he becomes the best NT in this draft.

If this fatty's knee holds up, our defense is gonna just fine! He is a MAN in the middle and will command constant double teams. This fatboy alone will free up Angerer and Freeney and Mathis and Conner to fly to the ball this year.

REALLY like this pick. If not for the knee issue he would have been a 2nd rounder at worst.

I like the guy. I am not expert but you can see from these videos of him that he is good at his position. However, I don't understand why everybody praises him for playing with a torn ACL. I find that rather foolish because it could potentially jeopardize his NFL career. I am not sure he gained anything by continuing to play. He ended up in the 5th round anyway.

Love what Rotoworld wrote on im.

The Colts expect fifth-round NT Josh Chapman (ACL, meniscus surgery) to be cleared for football practice by mid-June or July.

In other words, the Colts' medical team anticipates Chapman participating in training camp after reconstructive knee surgery in January. Chapman will contend for nose tackle snaps with Antonio Johnson and Brandon McKinney. Chapman is the most gifted option, and the job should be his once he's healthy.

He's already been cleared for training camp.

"Cleared for training camp" and "completely healed" are two different things.

However, I don't understand why everybody praises him for playing with a torn ACL. I find that rather foolish because it could potentially jeopardize his NFL career. I am not sure he gained anything by continuing to play. He ended up in the 5th round anyway.

It is a two-sided coin. On the positive side, it shows that he is dedicated and willing to sacrifice and play through pain for the success of his team. You want that kind of attitude/hunger/etc. On the flip side, though, there is always the possibility that he damaged himself permanently by playing through injury and will never completely heal right.

I still say he's a little undersized for a true NT, but hopefully he makes up for that in brute strength.

i disagree. Vince Wilfork is a great NT and he is 6'2", 325 lbs. I think we all have to have a wait-and-see attitude towards him. He could end a being an All-Pro. Of course, he could end up being a bust too, haha so.... ???

i disagree. Vince Wilfork is a great NT and he is 6'2", 325 lbs. I think we all have to have a wait-and-see attitude towards him. He could end a being an All-Pro. Of course, he could end up being a bust too, haha so.... ???

They probably haven't changed Wilforks weight since he went to the combine, but I can almost guarantee you that Wilfork is well over 325.

Dunno if anyone follows Walter Football's draft grades but...

136. Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama A+ Grade

The Colts are having one heck of a draft. They needed a nose tackle, and they somehow obtained a player who could have easily been picked on Day 2. Josh Chapman dropped because of some injury concerns, but he's well worth the risk atop Round 5.

Chapman is quoted as saying he is the answer for us at noseguard

His ego is as big as he is....

He's going to need to be cocky..playing that position...

Chapman is quoted as saying he is the answer for us at noseguard

His ego is as big as he is....

He's going to need to be cocky..playing that position...

he can be as cocky as he likes as long as he stops the run and frees up our LBers

He also slimmed down for the draft. He comes from a top conditioning program, where your weight is optimized for your play style. So when your weight starts to slow you down you are scaled back to find your optimum weight. When he moved in to the starting role in 2010 he was a touch to light, and did not warranty that all important double team. By mid-season he had moved up to the point where he was to heavy. He was then scaled back to his optimum, where he played for the rest of his career.

Also as I said earlier he didnt just play through the injury, he didnt know it was torn and didnt feel anything to warranty a test to find out that it was torn.

NT's dont play on third and medium to long any way. He will probably be in rotation.

I still say he's a little undersized for a true NT, but hopefully he makes up for that in brute strength.

Jay Ratliff is one of the best NT in a 3-4 if not THE best. He's 6'4" 287lbs. It's not always about being 330lbs+

Chapman is a great steal in the 5th round. He'll start day one.

Jay Ratliff is one of the best NT in a 3-4 if not THE best. He's 6'4" 287lbs. It's not always about being 330lbs+

Chapman is a great steal in the 5th round. He'll start day one.

There would seem to be many who disagree. While, Ratliff may be somewhat effective in his style of play, he is not doing the job of a prototypical NT. He is really nothing more than a one gap penetrator. Here's an article I found on Ratliff and the Cowboys. Take notice of the poll at the bottom of the article where the fans seem to overwhelmingly want somebody different at the NT spot. I would say if he was considered one of the best NT's in the league, that the fans wouldn't want him replaced.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/3/7/2851007/dallas-cowboys-2012-offseason-plan-nose-tackle-jay-ratliff

There would seem to be many who disagree. While, Ratliff may be somewhat effective in his style of play, he is not doing the job of a prototypical NT. He is really nothing more than a one gap penetrator. Here's an article I found on Ratliff and the Cowboys. Take notice of the poll at the bottom of the article where the fans seem to overwhelmingly want somebody different at the NT spot. I would say if he was considered one of the best NT's in the league, that the fans wouldn't want him replaced.

http://www.bloggingt...kle-jay-ratliff

ok. I'm not comparing Chapman to Ratliff. I'm just saying, just because someone isn't the "typical" size, doesn't mean he wouldn't be effective. Chapman is 316lbs. He's plenty big to play the nose in a 3-4...especially considering he played the position as a starter, for the nations best college defense last year. If you haven't seen his film, you'll feel better after watching him.

ok. I'm not comparing Chapman to Ratliff. I'm just saying, just because someone isn't the "typical" size, doesn't mean he wouldn't be effective. Chapman is 316lbs. He's plenty big to play the nose in a 3-4...especially considering he played the position as a starter, for the nations best college defense last year. If you haven't seen his film, you'll feel better after watching him.

I've seen him play and I like the guy. He's as strong as a bull and im sure he'll be just fine, but my only point was that he's a little smaller than a typical 3-4 NT. I do still have concerns about his knee injury. He just had the surgury in Jan. and played on a damaged knee for 3 months before that. I hope he's ready to go by the start of the season, but I have my doubts that he'll be much of contributor this yr. and we really need another body there. I know reports are he'll be ready, but it normally takes more than 8 months to recover from ACL surgury, espesially for a 316 lb guy that depends on leg strength to do his job.

I've seen him play and I like the guy. He's as strong as a bull and im sure he'll be just fine, but my only point was that he's a little smaller than a typical 3-4 NT. I do still have concerns about his knee injury. He just had the surgury in Jan. and played on a damaged knee for 3 months before that. I hope he's ready to go by the start of the season, but I have my doubts that he'll be much of contributor this yr. and we really need another body there. I know reports are he'll be ready, but it normally takes more than 8 months to recover from ACL surgury, espesially for a 316 lb guy that depends on leg strength to do his job.

yeah I can't really predict how soon he'll be ready, but from what I've heard, he's ahead of schedule. All I know is that he was an absolute steal in the 2nd round. If we have to play McKinney until September, that's fine. I think Chapman will rotate in and out with him. Either way, i'm excited that he's a Colt.

I will wait to see if he is ready for pre-season at 100% health, otherwise it might set him back a bit. Playing the big OL boys at the next level is no cup cake. Even AJ that has been in the league a few years gets moved around by our division rival O-linemen. DT/NT, not an easy position to transition to the NFL. A lot of them get by with brute strength without hand technique in college. At the next level, everyone is strong. Suh was one of those whose hand technique was outstanding, hence the high draft pick and production right off the bat. Workout freaks that are strong like Stephen Paea still have not found time in the rotation, so you can understand me not getting ahead of myself.

When the Jags or Texans come with a 2 blocking TE formation against our D-line, that is when we will truly find out how stout our nose is. If our LBs are free to make plays, our nose is doing good, safe to say :).

I will wait to see if he is ready for pre-season at 100% health. Playing the big OL boys at the next level is no cup cake. Even AJ that has been in the league a few years gets moved around by our division rival O-linemen. DT/NT, not an easy position to transition to the NFL. A lot of them get by with brute strength without hand technique in college. At the next level, everyone is strong. Suh was one of those whose hand technique was outstanding, hence the high draft pick and production right off the bat. Workout freaks that are strong like Stephen Paea still have not found time in the rotation, so you can understand me not getting ahead of myself.

When the Jags or Texans come with a 2 blocking TE formation against our D-line, that is when we will truly find out how stout our nose is. If our LBs are free to make plays, our nose is doing good, safe to say :).

Yeah, but Chapman isn't a workout guy, he's a production guy. Alabama, best rushing defense in the FBS last year, gave up over 1/3 of their rushing yards allowed last year in the one game, against an FCS school, that Chapman sat out. As good as Georgia Southern's run game is, Alabama did much worse against their rushing attack than, say, Appalachian State or South Dakota State. I mean, that's a big dropoff.

I like the guy. I am not expert but you can see from these videos of him that he is good at his position. However, I don't understand why everybody praises him for playing with a torn ACL. I find that rather foolish because it could potentially jeopardize his NFL career. I am not sure he gained anything by continuing to play. He ended up in the 5th round anyway.

Alabama probably wouldn't have won the national championship without Chapman. I'm not advocating his decision to play on a torn ACL, but I'm sure the doctors went over the risks with him and his family. And at his position, which doesn't necessarily require a lot of lateral movement, he was able to be effective.

Yeah, but Chapman isn't a workout guy, he's a production guy. Alabama, best rushing defense in the FBS last year, gave up over 1/3 of their rushing yards allowed last year in the one game, against an FCS school, that Chapman sat out. As good as Georgia Southern's run game is, Alabama did much worse against their rushing attack than, say, Appalachian State or South Dakota State. I mean, that's a big dropoff.

True, his production was good. I am just saying that the level of OL guys he will be facing at the next level will be a big adjustment, that is all. That is true, whether you come from the SEC or Big 12 or Big Ten.

True, his production was good. I am just saying that the level of OL guys he will be facing at the next level will be a big adjustment, that is all. That is true, whether you come from the SEC or Big 12 or Big Ten.

Didn't Paea get hurt last season?

He did play 11 games, though he did not get the start in any of them. Got 14 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 safety on McNabb vs the Vikes :).

I'm just saying, if he was struggling with an injury, and being a rookie, his production or lack thereof isn't really indicative of how good he is/will be. I think that the Bears got him with a good value pick in last year's draft, which wasn't as deep as this years. Chapman probably would have been a 3rd rounder in last year's draft, even with the injury. Anyway, you have to give a rookie tackle who isn't 100% healthy more than 11 games to see whether he was a workout warrior or if he'll be an effective pro.

Also, those numbers out of a backup defensive tackle in that defense aren't bad.

Favorite pick of the draft, really good pick up, especially for the 5th round. Hopefully he can stay healthy and we can start playing him, so he can get to work. His only real downsides seem to be the injury and he is a little rough around the edges. I don't care about pass rushing because he is going to be a NT in 3-4, pass rushing is for DEs and LB. He just needs to plug a whole and stop runs. Much easier said than done though.

Nothing new to state on NT Josh Chapman. Just to echo previously well stated bloggers on here: Chapman has immovable size & girth, knows how to use his hands & arms to his advantage, comprehends leverage & is never afraid to use it, & he is low risk/high reward as a 5th round pick.

Thank God Bill Polian is no longer or GM anymore!!! Hey Bill, this is what building a franchise looks like as opposed to demolishing one by failing to address glaring weaknesses that everyone can see, but you failed to witness, let alone remedy. Building the Monster piece by piece; step by step IMO.

I doubt that most Colts fans see this kid as the next superstar, or even a solid starter from day one. But he has potential, a lot of upside, and could be a steal as a fifth round pick.

There are of course several questions that are yet to be answered

- Will his knee be a problem?

- Can he transition to the level of competition in the NFL, where he'll face fiercer competition than at college level from the oppositions O-Line

- Will his "low" weight be a problem?

As far as value for draft round goes, I think he's a really great pick.

I doubt that most Colts fans see this kid as the next superstar, or even a solid starter from day one. But he has potential, a lot of upside, and could be a steal as a fifth round pick.

There are of course several questions that are yet to be answered

- Will his knee be a problem?

- Can he transition to the level of competition in the NFL, where he'll face fiercer competition than at college level from the oppositions O-Line

- Will his "low" weight be a problem?

As far as value for draft round goes, I think he's a really great pick.

I see him as a potential Pro Bowler if he gets healthy and works well in our system

One thing we should know is that people that are worried about his hands and technique. Trust me..he played at Alabama. I mean no other school in the nation teaches kids better I would argue. I am sure this kid has had all the teaching he will need. Has he mastered them..probably not. Has he played against guys as big as what he will go up against every Sunday. YES. (This is what I like about taking guys from the SEC and big conferences...I think in the past we leaned to heavy on Big Ten and small schools. I think they have talent but you need a good mix of both on your board...just seemed Polian never had them on his board) Although not on a consistant basis and not as skilled. He will have to get better but he is in a perfect situation to learn and rotate in with McKinney. It will push McKinney to play well to stay on the field and I know this kid has the drive to start. He is a beast with great leverage and strength above even most NFL players. 560lb bench it was??? That is a freak of nature...and he plays for US.