Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts kicker Matt Gay dealing with groin injury; status for Sunday opener versus Houston uncertain

HOZER

49 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

So Matt Gay admits he had surgery but Steichen is too scared to tell us. I will remember to fear the worst everytime Steichen doesn't comment on an injury from now on.

There is this thing called HIPPA. Perhaps you've heard of it? Believe it or not,the coaching staff doesn't have to personally inform you regarding player health issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I don't know why they wouldn't just put him on IR for four weeks. There's no way he can be ready to kick this weekend, and probably not any time soon. 

And even if he can physically be trotted out there... you don't want him kicking in that state anyways - both performance-wise but also on a pure human level. 

With AR and JT in the backfield... I wouldn't mind if we just went for it in pretty much any low-yardage situation past half-field. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt he is missing that much time.

Didn't you just post that Parris Campbell was out 4 weeks with a similar injury? 

I obviously don't know anything, but since when can a player come back from hernia surgery in less than a month? He's gonna violently rotate his torso to kick a football 50 times a day while he's healing from a hernia? I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it seems like it would be a miracle.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

And even if he can physically be trotted out there... you don't want him kicking in that state anyways - both performance-wise but also on a pure human level. 

With AR and JT in the backfield... I wouldn't mind if we just went for it in pretty much any low-yardage situation past half-field. 

Which is probably what we should be doing anyway... The real question is what do we do on 4th and 9 from the 32 yard line? Schrader has a big leg, but was inconsistent in college. Do you try the 50 yarder and risk giving the other team the ball at the 40?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Didn't you just post that Parris Campbell was out 4 weeks with a similar injury? 

I obviously don't know anything, but since when can a player come back from hernia surgery in less than a month? He's gonna violently rotate his torso to kick a football 50 times a day while he's healing from a hernia? I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it seems like it would be a miracle.

The post about said 6 to 12 weeks. He is not going to be out three months. That’s what I meant. I didn’t mean not that long meaning just a game. It’s no wonder I don’t come in here anymore. He will probably miss 2 or 3 games.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The post about said 6 to 12 weeks. He is not going to be out three months. That’s what I meant. I didn’t mean not that long meaning just a game. It’s no wonder I don’t come in here anymore.

In my post, I said they should put him on IR for four weeks. I didn't say anything about 6-12 weeks, or three months, so I would not have had any idea that you were referring to anything other than what I said in my post.

I don't take responsibility for you not liking my specificity. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

In my post, I said they should put him on IR for four weeks. I didn't say anything about 6-12 weeks, or three months, so I would not have had any idea that you were referring to anything other than what I said in my post.

I don't take responsibility for you not liking my specificity. 

And what if he only misses two games? Someone posted above that it is a six to 12 week recovery. That’s what u was referring to in he won’t be out that long. Geez

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Which is probably what we should be doing anyway... The real question is what do we do on 4th and 9 from the 32 yard line? Schrader has a big leg, but was inconsistent in college. Do you try the 50 yarder and risk giving the other team the ball at the 40?

Yah, tricky one. I guess the question is... What's the success rate you expect from Schrader from 50? Do you kick it if you expect say.. 55%?

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

And what if he only misses two games? Someone posted above that it is a six to 12 week recovery. That’s what u was referring to in he won’t be out that long. Geez

My point is that I don't think it's reasonable to expect any football player -- even a kicker -- to be able to return to play in less than four weeks. And again, I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it seems incredibly unlikely for him to be back and ready in less than a month. So unlikely that they should just put him on IR.

And that's JMO. Like I said, I don't know anything other than what's been said, and I'm happy to be proven wrong.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yah, tricky one. I guess the question is... What's the success rate you expect from Schrader from 50? Do you kick it if you expect say.. 55%?

It's tricky to manage a kicker's confidence, especially a new kicker. I'd rather avoid the low percentage situations altogether, unless there's no choice. Then again, he hit a 56 yarder in preseason, so we know the ability is there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It's tricky to manage a kicker's confidence, especially a new kicker. I'd rather avoid the low percentage situations altogether, unless there's no choice. Then again, he hit a 56 yarder in preseason, so we know the ability is there.

Also, keep in mind that... It's possible NFL coaching and regimen could make improvements in player's consistency. :dunno:

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Also, keep in mind that... It's possible NFL coaching and regimen could make improvements in player's consistency. :dunno:

For sure. Not that Notre Dame doesn't have a great program, but being on an NFL team should help any player hone their craft. That seems especially true for a kicker, whose job has little to do with the level of competition. If he's been on the money throughout the offseason, they could have strong confidence in him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

There is this thing called HIPPA. Perhaps you've heard of it? Believe it or not,the coaching staff doesn't have to personally inform you regarding player health issues.

It’s HIPAA and coaches aren’t bound by it. 

4 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

So Matt Gay admits he had surgery but Steichen is too scared to tell us. I will remember to fear the worst everytime Steichen doesn't comment on an injury from now on.

You just love jumping to conclusions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's time to bring back Hotrod!!

Waving Hot Rod GIF by Indianapolis Colts

No! Talk about going in reverse…we already know what that brought the team. 

Give the rookie some football nooky and let him kick the ball…at least you’ll know if he can hang with the best or not 😊 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ADnum1 said:

Wait a minute.

If he misses 12 weeks isn't that 3 months ?

Well, I mean, uhm, see the thing is… 🤔 technically it’s a tad less than three months? 52 weeks in a year / 12 months a year = 4.33333333 so 3 months = 13 weeks ?

but I mean technically who cares what it technically is ? 😆 

• Like 1

This is one of those rare situations where you can say this thread is Gay and get away with it…not that there’s anything wrong with that (Seinfeld…).

if Gay can prove he’s an asset then I’m all for him having the job. But he’s not been stellar in my book…he’s decent but I guess we were spoiled with such consistency at this position for so long…kind of like the QB situation it’s been shaky for quite awhile now…no Mr reliables here.

side note…thoughts and prayers to all those across the nation whose hearts hurt at news of the Georgia high school shooting today….no need for this kind of violence in our humanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had triple hernia surgery last April, couldn't get out of bed for a week, couldn't do steps for 2, back to work lightly at 4, back to normal at 7.  Sure hope his is not as bad (Mine was from years of wrestling had over 1,000 bouts) but sometimes these take a long time especially the kicking motion.

49 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Had triple hernia surgery last April, couldn't get out of bed for a week, couldn't do steps for 2, back to work lightly at 4, back to normal at 7.  Sure hope his is not as bad (Mine was from years of wrestling had over 1,000 bouts) but sometimes these take a long time especially the kicking motion.

I have a hiatal hernia probably from 1000 bouts of straining on the toilet haha.

sucks you had to go through it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He had Hernia surgery and isn’t practicing, so I’m sure he isn’t going to be a go for Sunday!

Yeah I posted that before the hernia surgery  bit came out, bummer. Definitely a no go now.

Ballard should give up FA and hand that over to someone else who’s more aggressive. The Matt Gay signing looks worse and worse. If I’m being honest I actually only want Ballard managing the draft since I know he’s good there. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Arydery said:

Does anybody know how long recovery is for something like this?

Depends on the type of Hernia but I believe recovery time is about 4-6 weeks. It will probably be on the later side since his job is essentially kicking. I would have to assume the kicking motion could aggravate the Hernia. They will definitely be cautious with his recovery.