Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans Colts Week 1 Predictions

danlhart87

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stroud is legit good, is he great - not sure because 1 year isn't a tell all. I also picked Indy but only by 3, 23-20. I think like last year that the game can go either way.

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No, it is the same OC continuity with Bobby Slowik, who refused other HC possibilities to come back. He is excellent at scheming things plus Stroud does put the ball on the money far more times than not and there is far too much speed on the field that he tends to find the open guy. Their OL is sneakily good at giving him time. It is not a co-incidence he beat a healthy Burrow in Cincinnati in a FG game.

Last year, the Texans had issues in both games vs rushing QB Lamar Jackson. That is our key to pulling off a close game, dominate TOP with JT and AR. I don't see any other way to make it winnable for us. I can see the D holding the fort for a few quarters but it is hard to contain the talent they have assembled on offense unless you minimize their TOP. Our fans need to be LOUD.

Still the same team that barely beat Gardner Minshew and JT was playing hurt for the most of the game. Hell if the refs called Will Anderson offsides on the fourth down play, are we crowning the Texans like this?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Still the same team that barely beat Gardner Minshew and JT was playing hurt for the most of the game. Hell if the refs called Will Anderson offsides on the fourth down play, are we crowning the Texans like this?

Good point, Anderson was offsides. I forgot about that but he was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No, it is not, I already explained that. That last game last year, No Tank Dell, No Noah Brown, and of course without the added Stefon Diggs. 

At that point in time, everyone was hurt but Tank Dell and Noah Brown not being available would be us playing without Pittman and Josh Downs. Let us not be like the Titans fans we used to blame for the same things in the name of "almost wins". Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No, it is not, I already explained that. That last game last year, No Tank Dell, No Noah Brown, and of course without the added Stefon Diggs. 

At that point in time, everyone was hurt but Tank Dell and Noah Brown not being available would be us playing without Pittman and Josh Downs. Let us not be like the Titans fans we used to blame for the same things in the name of "almost wins". Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

And we had no resemblance of a passing game. Minshew threw for just 140 yards in that game and JT still almost got 200 yards while hurt with no threat of AR to take pressure off. 

Just now, chad72 said:

At that point in time, everyone was hurt. Let us not be like the Titans fans we used to blame for the same things in the name of "almost wins". Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

On paper, the Texans got better this year. Having said that, it basically came down to 1 play last season and just didn't execute what should have been a sure 1st down. We also didn't have our starting QB, so we will see how this plays out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And we had no resemblance of a passing game. Minshew completed 8 passes in that game 

So, is that the Texans' fault, that they did enough to just win? The NFL - everything is a close W or L, that is just how it is.

We still have HFA, still have an improved defense, and the ability of AR to make a difference like the first Texans' matchup. I am not saying whatsoever that we have no chance but I just don't like the odds with a healthy offense of the Texans and it is difficult to buy into AR and the offense till they prove us wrong, that is the X factor. Given what he did with Minshew, I have more confidence in Steichen going into game 1 than with AR and the offense, that is the reason for probably the majority of folks picking against the Colts, IMO.

You don't have to agree with me completely.

• Like 2

I think if we make this a Taylor game and win the turnover battle we win. It's the opener and Taylor is healthy; I am running Taylor 30 times if possible. It controls the clock and means we are moving the chains. We need to be able to get a pick 6 or a fumble early to rattle Stroud.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On paper, the Texans got better this year. Having said that, it basically came down to 1 play last season and just didn't execute what should have been a sure 1st down. We also didn't have our starting QB, so we will see how this plays out.

True, the Chiefs didn't win their SB based on offense, that is for sure. It was timely offense and great defense. HFA should favor our defense, which I am strongly inclined to believe is better than last year up front. A very good DL can diminish secondary issues, IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So, is that the Texans' fault, that they did enough to just win? The NFL - everything is a close W or L, that is just how it is.

We still have HFA, still have an improved defense, and the ability of AR to make a difference like the first Texans' matchup. I am not saying whatsoever that we have no chance but I just don't like the odds with a healthy offense of the Texans and it is difficult to buy into AR and the offense till they prove us wrong, that is the X factor. Given what he did with Minshew, I have more confidence in Steichen going into game 1 than with AR and the offense, that is the reason for probably the majority of folks picking against the Colts, IMO.

You don't have to agree with me completely.

I'm just saying people who think the Texans will just waltz right into LOS for an easy W annoy me when they barely beat us and it's not just here. Everyone is crowning the Texans across the league and it sucks because we should have sent them home last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chad72 said:

True, the Chiefs didn't win their SB based on offense, that is for sure. It was timely offense and great defense. HFA should favor our defense, which I am strongly inclined to believe is better than last year up front. A very good DL can diminish secondary issues, IMO.

Mahomes was great when it counted but your point is valid that the Chiefs defense bailed him out a lot. They were great against Purdy in the SB.

• Like 1

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm just saying people who think the Texans will just waltz right into LOS for an easy W annoy me when they barely beat us.

If the crowd is rocking and the D shows up, it won't be easy for the Texans. No road games are easy in the NFL anyways. We are not a doormat organization or team like the Giants, Broncos or Panthers. 

• Like 1

Football sometimes boils down to 2 or 3 plays that wins or loses games. Most amazing sport there is. We are kicking ourselves not getting a 4th and 1 to win the division. Lions are kicking themselves for blowing a 24-7 lead against the 49ers (2 or 3 plays led to that blown lead). 49ers are kicking themselves for a losing a SB they really should have won (2 or 3 plays led to that). 

If the Colts don't win this one at home the playoffs will be one step further away but they play Houton in week 8 and that is good for AR to have games under his belt. Both games will be nail biters. Colts host Jacksonville and the Texans play Tennessee at Tennessee for the last games of the regular season. Fasten your seatbelts.

12 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Texans 34

Colts 20

The Texans offense looks like a juggernaut right now on paper and I think Stroud shreds our secondary. We'll defend the run relatively well, but in the end, it won't matter too much. Richardson will pass and run for a TD each, but we'll probably be playing from behind early, and Taylor will be taken out of the game. I remember last year when we fell behind, Steichen would abandon the run, I believe he'll repeat that again here and Richardson will be forced to win the game by himself (which I don't think he can do).

Texans by two TDs in a rout.

Normally, I would chalk your prediction up to gloomy overreaction.  However, I'm with you.  So far, I don't get the positive vibe going into this game.  The CB's haven't shown that they can cover.  The defense still plays a timid soft zone whenever they get nervous.  AR hasn't yet shown that he can score the required amount of points to win in a shootout.  And JT didn't do anything more than "normal" during the preseason games.  We have to play not just a good game but a great game to beat these guys.  And I haven't seen anything that would make me believe we'll do that first thing out of the gate.

I'm expecting over 350 passing yards from Stroud.  And multiple touchdowns.

Texans 37

Colts 17

I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

i have zero trust with this team with 1st games. I don't care who we face i will automatically say colts lose week 1. Until they can break the curse and prove otherwise, i can not say colts will win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would have been the media's worst nightmare had we won the division

The media did get a lot of stories out of the Texans winning, not sure they would have said much if the Colts won.

They did go from worst to first and they always love those stories, they also had pretty outrageous betting odds to win too. I read a story saying only one bettor in the world made a significant bet on them of about $1000 and that was it.  If someone had made a big bet on them at the right time they would have really cleaned up but no one did.

5 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

This game will tell you what type of GM Ballard is. Both teams have QB's on Rookie contracts. Houston went out and added players. The Colts did not (but we do have lots of cap space). So we will see which theory is correct on team building.

we dont have one wr that defenses are afraid of . the top teams have at least one elite wr that defenses fear

Colts win this ball game. I say around 28-20.

I think we are going to control the ball a lot on the ground between Taylor and AR. Even on passing downs AR is going to extend plays. This is going to keep Stroud off the field.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Colts win this ball game. I say around 28-20.

I think we are going to control the ball a lot on the ground between Taylor and AR. Even on passing downs AR is going to extend plays. This is going to keep Stroud off the field.

sounds like a winning game plan

I hate to say this but I am not optimistic against the Texans. I can't see Juju Brents and the safeties against their offense. Our DL and our offense will be OK. On our favor, it is AR running and long ball. The Texans couldn't handle it the first time. Texans IR lost Christian Harris which was their spy key LB. Lastly, Our kicker lacks confidence in himself and I am guessing something is wrong with his leg. Like Viniteri we will eventually find out. Maybe someone knows more?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we dont have one wr that defenses are afraid of . the top teams have at least one elite wr that defenses fear

Pierce looks improved and ad Mitchell  will be a problem. Add that to pittman and Josh downs when he returns and I'm not concerned about our wrs. As long as the oline and dline does there job we can beat anybody

• Like 2

Colts win 17-14, there is a lot of bad blood surrounding this game. Speed and Zaire will go into this game with a chip on their shoulder and you can almost guarantee the rest of the defense will be playing for them as well. 

I'm expecting us to win as long as we don't ask AR to put the whole thing on his back through the air. Control the game on the ground between AR and JT. That opens things up for us in the air to RPO and play action. I think AR is really good when he is able to use the threat of the run to suck defenders out of position and hit passes behind them. That's pretty much what we did that whole first drive against Cincy 

• Like 1