Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

What was needed. Little information on him, but I can't imagine he's at the back of the depth chart just based on what I've seen. 

This clip is literally all I know about him, so I'm not getting worked up. But he looks good. That's more than we saw from Micah Abraham in preseason. He looks like a nickel backup, he can play some boundary corner, he gets his hands on the ball, and he's a STs ace. I like it.

Unrelated: The PS is 16 players. I was thinking it's 12. The Colts have a lot of work to do...

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

This clip is literally all I know about him, so I'm not getting worked up. But he looks good. That's more than we saw from Micah Abraham in preseason. He looks like a nickel backup, he can play some boundary corner, he gets his hands on the ball, and he's a STs ace. I like it.

Unrelated: The PS is 16 players. I was thinking it's 12. The Colts have a lot of work to do...

Lets Go Clap GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Get to work Ballard & co.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I like that scouting reports on Womack say his strength is in pass coverage, not run support. The Colts have loaded up on big DBs known for being stronger in run support than pass coverage in college. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Damn... Baker out? 

A bit surprised.  Flowers did nothing to make this roster, but Baker had a good TC and pre-season.  They must be giving Flowers grace for the fact that he’s not fully recovered from the Achilles.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Classic Ballard there were efforts to get better players but we low balled them or better yet we didnt even try to sign them cause i have blind belief i. The guys i drafted that are still not getting the job done.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

A bit surprised.  Flowers did nothing to make this roster, but Baker had a good TC and pre-season.  They must be giving Flowers grace for the fact that he’s not fully recovered from the Achilles.

The team is probably hoping Baker makes it through to practice squad.

18 minutes ago, Jz0204945 said:

Classic Ballard there were efforts to get better players but we low balled them or better yet we didnt even try to sign them cause i have blind belief i. The guys i drafted that are still not getting the job done.

Classic Ballard hater, with no idea what he did or did not try to do to add to the team. He did say there will be roster adjustments throughout the first month as normal. What do you think he should have said about the players who did make the 53? " They suck, but we will let them fail on their own" that really helps with their commitment and confidence. 

I do think the organization is late to the party successfully addressing some specific needs, but believe they have tried somewhat.

• Like 2

Let's caution ourselves on our expectations for these waiver pickups.  Let's not believe that who we pick up would automatically be a starter.  Or a pro bowl player.  These are for the bottom decile of the bottom decile of the team.  If the player sucked enough to be waived from a different team, it shouldn't automatically follow that they'll be the best player on our team.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Let's caution ourselves on our expectations for these waiver pickups.  Let's not believe that who we pick up would automatically be a starter.  Or a pro bowl player.  These are for the bottom decile of the bottom decile of the team.  If the player sucked enough to be waived from a different team, it shouldn't automatically follow that they'll be the best player on our team.

Did you have that same energy about Kenny Moore II when he was a cut down day casualty that we signed?

A change of scenery and an opportunity to play is all a player needs sometimes to come into their own.

I, for one, am not advocating that Womack will turn out as successfully as Moore but let’s give him a chance before crowning him or cutting him.

• Like 2

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Did you have that same energy about Kenny Moore II when he was a cut down day casualty that we signed?

A change of scenery and an opportunity to play is all a player needs sometimes to come into their own.

I, for one, am not advocating that Womack will turn out as successfully as Moore but let’s give him a chance before crowning him or cutting him.

The way I read John’s post was just as your last paragraph says. 

19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

The 49ers are deep on defense, just because the guy got cut doesn't mean he will suck. The 49ers are loaded on defense and by the way he is pretty good, I have seen him play. He is better than Baker.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 49ers are deep on defense, just because the guy got cut doesn't mean he will suck. The 49ers are loaded on defense and by the way he is pretty good, I have seen him play. He is better than Baker.

Along with @Scott Pennock and @csmopar

My post was in response to the comments of "Why would we take Womack?  He sucks!"  Well, I'm not expecting him to be amazing.

To Scott's point -- I don't think either the Patriots nor the Colts ever foresaw just how good Kenny Moore turned out to be.  So, sure, there's going to be someone who falls through the cracks and winds up being really, really good.  But to take somebody on waivers and expect them to be amazing?  I would doubt it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

My post was in response to the comments of "Why would we take Womack?  He sucks!"  Well, I'm not expecting him to be amazing.

To Scott's point -- I don't think either the Patriots nor the Colts ever foresaw just how good Kenny Moore turned out to be.  So, sure, there's going to be someone who falls through the cracks and winds up being really, really good.  But to take somebody on waivers and expect them to be amazing?  I would doubt it.

I am not saying he will be amazing, but he's better than Baker. JMO

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Ballard didn’t want to sign Moore.  He has said that he had two of his scouts jumping on the table for him after cuts, so he put the waiver claim in reluctantly…

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I can't imagine anyone thinking he's the best on this roster... I don't assume he'll even be on the field until injury, but I do think there is a good chance he isn't the worst on roster. I can't believe we kept Flowers over Baker, based on what my eyeballs saw this preseason...

20 hours ago, DavePSL said:

Another thing that really concerns me about the secondary is that if they can't cover and we play them off because we dont trust them it will negate the entire "Great pass rush" that we hope to have. I can see us having better pass rushers this year but having a lot less sacks because of our "young secondary " and that will be very disappointing considering anybody that has any knowledge about football understands that a pass rush and secondary work together when it comes to disrupting and getting pressure on the QB.

Rome wasn't built in a draft.  Truth is, we have a lot of holes to fill. If we get good QB play, good WR play, and good D line play, I'll be happy.  I'm ok with waiting until next year to get better a CB.  If our WRs are as good as we think they are, well, that was done over the course of 2-3 years.  It may be the same for our secondary as well.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I can't imagine anyone thinking he's the best on this roster... I don't assume he'll even be on the field until injury, but I do think there is a good chance he isn't the worst on roster. I can't believe we kept Flowers over Baker, based on what my eyeballs saw this preseason...

Flowers is coming back from an Achilles tear. Coaching staff knew what he'd look like early. Bradley told the media this. And to Flowers credit none of the other games we played this preseason looked like that Cardinals game 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

It is.   Three starters from a draft is what teams hope for. 

Just wanted to clarify. 

Much appreciated. I was kind of narrowed in on the underlined players, and didn't notice the difference in years!  By the way, I hope our secondary takes a step forward this year.  I think by bolstering the pass rush with Latu and Paye getting better again, I think it will help limit the homerun throws 20+ yards down the field.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

You mean the great Micah Abraham didn't even make the PS? And no other team snatched him up either? I'm flabbergasted!

Sarcasm aside, it certainly raises my eyebrows….   Perhaps we wanted him back and he said no?   Maybe he wants to pick a different team with more opportunity?   It’s not clear, but it certainly got my attention.   

I think our current PS is now 11, so there is still room for 5 more.   Worth watching. 

• Thanks 1