Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after 1st Live Action

CR91

6 hours ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

Didn’t take long for all the forum experts to figure AR out in 2 drives of the first preseason game. We may as well start scouting the QBs in the draft next year right? ..

AR will be fine, and will play better each time he goes out. Everyone needs to just relax, all that negativity is gonna be hard to carry for 19 more games. Let all enjoy the ride!

I have not read anyone really slamming AR for his performance in the first preseason game. But some Colts fans may expect a little more out of the QB the fans and the franchise are pinning all their hopes and dreams on.

It was just some brief playing time in a preseason game, but please bear with those that found it a bit concerning.

A little disappointed with the performance, mostly because I agree with the commentator who kept saying, " defense is playing too soft", where have we heard that before? In stark contrast to the Bronco defense that blitzed REPEATEDLY. This team has the speed, talent, and ability to compete and win a lot of games this year, it will just be a matter of getting away from that ridiculous soft zone, triple vanilla, retreat and surrender defense we have played for over 50 years.

The good from yesterday:

Offensive line, including Bortolini and Gonzalves, looked real good. Freeland, Pinter, Sills, Tucker also looked good.

Latu- reminded me of the good old days of Freeney and Mathis where he got held over and over and over again(he even got tackled at the feet of the qb on Moore's interception, no flag of course.)

Hull, Sermon, Goodson, and Pennix-backup running back is solid.

We have 7 receivers who would be starters for the steelers, steelers have zero that could even make our team.

The bad from yesterday:

SOFT ZONE DEFENSE OFCOURSE.

I'm hoping we ran so much yesterday because it was the first preseason game and come regular season we will open it up ALOT.

Backup linebacker still very thin, hoping Carlies can get on the field soon, McGrone and Stuard just can't get it done. Olubi looked okay.

Defensive line got pushed back to much, but when the opponent knows your NOT GOING TO BLITZ,EVER, it is a lot easier to carry out your blocking assignments.

It just goes back to what the commentator kept saying over and over, " the defense is playing too soft". He kept repeating it. He would make comments like, "you have to get up in the grill of the receiver" and "you have to 'plaster' the receiver". I mean, really, it is fundamental football to mix up your defenses during the course of a game(even high schools do it) but we  don't, haven't done it for over 50 years. It's time for some aggressive, in your face defense!

Richardson will be fine , folks seem to forget that he’s only played a little football in only 4 total games last year and I believe he actually only finished in 2 of those games. He’s shaking off the rust and will be fine. I like what I saw from the CBs (JuJu wasn’t playing obviously) but a tandem with him and Jones will be ok. If we can consistently play Press and get our CBs in these WRs faces on the line I think ultimately it will help our defense out tremendously. Jones looked really good in press and we know what we have in Brent’s if he can stay healthy. Kenny looked like Kenny , that diving Interception was a hell of a hustle play. Zaire for once didn’t look lost in coverage which tells me he has been putting in an effort to improve in that area of his game. I still don’t feel comfortable with him in coverage tbh. But he and Speed were consistently around the ball. Cross didn’t look that bad from the eye test , will have to go back and watch all his defenses snaps but he looked decent. He actually almost had an interception on one play. The one play where Mims scored on I blame Flowers, Cross was trying to signal to Flowers to switch man assignments when Mims went in motion and cross would have taken the inside receiver but Flowers didn’t listen I don’t know if Cross has Audibly told Flowers out loud to switch or if he just waved him off but either way Cross NEEDS to get more vocal with his communication. Flowers was VERY bad, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is returning from a brutal injury but man he looked bad. Lewis has really come on and improved a lot going into his 7th season. I think he will have a pretty solid year in terms of production. Latu imo will win DROY that kid is relentless and with effort alone that will get him sacks. I wouldn’t be surprised if he reaches double digits this year , at minimum I say 7-8 for him. Some other notable standouts rookie Abraham made an amazing play, I like Olubi as well he was flying around the field.

Fries will continue being attacked as our weak link. lol

Goncalves looked like a future starter. Near future if needed.

Saw some hints of promise from several newbies, yeah!

LATU :applause::strong:

I see a fine line between us winning 7 games or 9-10. 

We are in a poor spot at outside corner. 

LB depth has mystery to it.

Taven Bryan and Johnson at DT, very weak.

Backup G Sills and Rucker weak.

Backup LT ugh!

10 hours ago, AKB said:

I think this is one of the better posts breaking down the issues with Bardley. 

I guess the way I see it is this. Bradleys defense is designed pretty much to be middle of the pack. Right? I mean that's what it is in essence. A bend but don't break defense, that can capitalize playing vs a team trying to catch up score wise. The idea is that you get 8 men who can play on the line (we have), and you get some average lengthy corners who can press and play zone. 

there's an argument to be made in defense of balalrd that we are pretty close to having completed that requirement. Brents is probably cb1 once he gets some play time. Moore is the best slot corner in football. (we are missing the other outside corner, and depth)

You need a SS that can play in the box, and who can also cover athletic TEs. (maybe cross?)

And you need a savvy, FS with speed and ball skills ( we have a SS playing FS)

so if his defense could manage holding teams to  around 16th (passing yards allowed) in league, then technically he's at least doing what the defense is designed to do.

what are ur thoughts on this twifish

You pretty much summed up my thoughts.  More experience needed in a few spots along with a real talented FS. Experience is important.  It allows you to play faster and hopefully all eleven players are on the same page.  If they can find those players and gain more experience I think his defense will be very good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smittywerb said:

- Good thing we have good OL depth because Freeland doesn’t look good.  Put him back in the lab and have him do nothing but lift weights and practice technique. 

The consensus here, seems to now be, the team has got good depth on the O-line.

...however I am skeptical. Here is my analysis.

Center: 

Ryan Kelly Starter.

We lost French (for the year), but fortunately have Danny Pinter and (rookie) Tanor Bortolini. Will Fries can also be  moved to center if absolutely necessary. 

Center depth looks solid.

Guard:   

Nelson / Fries Starters.

Looks like the backup guards are Josh Stills, Arlington Hambright and (UDFA Marshall) Dalton Tucker

On the play when Ehlinger got hit and picked, Stills got pushed backwards and the DT was able to hit Sam's arm causing the interception. I don't see Stills as the answer.

Hambright is questionable at best.

I was however, pleasantly surprised, at the play of Dalton Tucker.  imo Tucker played many snaps, looked strong and held his own. Yet Tucker has a long way to go just to make the team.

Overall, I don't see NFL level depth at Guard position

Tackle      

Raimann / Smith Starters.  

Coming off a brutal rookie season, Blake Freeland, looks likely to be the teams "go to" backup Tackle. However on the same play when Ehlinger got hit, Freeland returned to his old "turnstile" form. as you mentioned, he doesn't look good. 

That leaves us with only (3rd round rookie) Matt  Goncalves and Jake Witt 

From what I saw of Goncalves yesterday, he looks promising. He played for a long stretch and I thought Matt did a  nice job. Jake Witt (IR all of 2023) has not shown anything to date.

I worry about the Tackle depth. Like everyone else, I hope Freeland develops, but based on training camp reporting, and yesterdays preseason game, it does not look like Freeland has figured it out quite yet. Leaving us with only an untested rookie to shore up the Tackle position should someone get hurt.

I view Tackle depth as a problem.

On a side note, we all know our CB room look's very shaky,

and I also think we are terribly thin at LB. Having only two frontline players Franklin and Speed.

The backups are a mashup of small hybrid (LB/Safety), practice squad, type players. Stuard, Olubi, McGrone, Ajiaki, Anderson and (5th round rookie) Jaylon Carlies. 

I have serious concerns regarding the LBs and solely blame Ballard for neglecting, or even undermining, the LB position for years.

• Like 1

I don’t know why there is so much complaining about playing a soft zone so much.  There seems to be a clamoring for more blitzing.  A good NFL quarterback who can read coverage will pick up the blitzes and burn our very young corners and FS.  If you get pressure from the front four you don’t need to blitz.  That’s how his defense is supposed to perform.  I think we are almost there with personnel.  Adding an experienced starting FS or corner right now would make a huge difference imo.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Do we know why Brents didn’t play yesterday?  Buckner is obvious but I don’t think Brents has earned that status yet. Did he pick up a minor injury at camp that I missed?

Precautionary if I'm not mistaken. Minor shoulder issue they decided to not risk in a pre-season game. 

Just now, stitches said:

Per PFF, in 8 snaps, Latu had 2 pass-rush wins against one of the best pass-protecting LTs in the league and 2 dominant run stops...

Yeah he’s going to be the real deal once he gets some experience I think.

• Like 1

I didn't see much I could complain about with the starting secondary. They gave up no points and no explosives. Some of these complaints are head scratchers to me. And oh by the way it's preseason.

15 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Every first teamer on O needs to be benched.  Bean is by far the best QB on the roster!  Cut AR and Flacco now.  Taylor is horrible and overpaid.  Rookies all belong in the USFL.  

I’m switching my fan hood as soon as I figure out if Taylor Swift is staying with Kelce.  

:applause:

You forgot that the entire coaching staff is garbage.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think getting Davis back will ultimately send Bryan packing at the end of camp.  

The question is are we getting Davis back and when will that be? And whatever is going on that's causing him to stay out for weeks will that happen during the regular season? 

5 hours ago, PackersNation said:

I have not read anyone really slamming AR for his performance in the first preseason game. But some Colts fans may expect a little more out of the QB the fans and the franchise are pinning all their hopes and dreams on.

It was just some brief playing time in a preseason game, but please bear with those that found it a bit concerning.

Love is what 25?  AR just turned 22. Let's compare in 3 years.

3 hours ago, Two_pound said:

A little disappointed with the performance, mostly because I agree with the commentator who kept saying, " defense is playing too soft", where have we heard that before? In stark contrast to the Bronco defense that blitzed REPEATEDLY. This team has the speed, talent, and ability to compete and win a lot of games this year, it will just be a matter of getting away from that ridiculous soft zone, triple vanilla, retreat and surrender defense we have played for over 50 years.

The good from yesterday:

Offensive line, including Bortolini and Gonzalves, looked real good. Freeland, Pinter, Sills, Tucker also looked good.

Latu- reminded me of the good old days of Freeney and Mathis where he got held over and over and over again(he even got tackled at the feet of the qb on Moore's interception, no flag of course.)

Hull, Sermon, Goodson, and Pennix-backup running back is solid.

We have 7 receivers who would be starters for the steelers, steelers have zero that could even make our team.

The bad from yesterday:

SOFT ZONE DEFENSE OFCOURSE.

I'm hoping we ran so much yesterday because it was the first preseason game and come regular season we will open it up ALOT.

Backup linebacker still very thin, hoping Carlies can get on the field soon, McGrone and Stuard just can't get it done. Olubi looked okay.

Defensive line got pushed back to much, but when the opponent knows your NOT GOING TO BLITZ,EVER, it is a lot easier to carry out your blocking assignments.

It just goes back to what the commentator kept saying over and over, " the defense is playing too soft". He kept repeating it. He would make comments like, "you have to get up in the grill of the receiver" and "you have to 'plaster' the receiver". I mean, really, it is fundamental football to mix up your defenses during the course of a game(even high schools do it) but we  don't, haven't done it for over 50 years. It's time for some aggressive, in your face defense!

Don't forget, Colts play Broncos in regular season. Doubt they wanted to play all their cards in a meaningless practice game 

1 minute ago, PackersNation said:

Why are you acting like I brought J-Love in this conversation? Insecure much? 

Lol...yep I'm insecure.

29 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

:applause:

You forgot that the entire coaching staff is garbage.

We have coaches?  They way they played I figured they were making it up as they went along.  

oh, and we need a new mascot too.  

Twitter is ridiculous. I've never seen two incomplete passes get so overanalyzed in my entire life. Like why? One was a free blitzer and the other Granson ran into Pitt's defender. What am I missing?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

The consensus here, seems to now be, the team has got good depth on the O-line.

...however I am skeptical. Here is my analysis.

Center: 

Ryan Kelly Starter.

We lost French (for the year), but fortunately have Danny Pinter and (rookie) Tanor Bortolini. Will Fries can also be  moved to center if absolutely necessary. 

Center depth looks solid.

Guard:   

Nelson / Fries Starters.

Looks like the backup guards are Josh Stills, Arlington Hambright and (UDFA Marshall) Dalton Tucker

On the play when Ehlinger got hit and picked, Stills got pushed backwards and the DT was able to hit Sam's arm causing the interception. I don't see Stills as the answer.

Hambright is questionable at best.

I was however, pleasantly surprised, at the play of Dalton Tucker.  imo Tucker played many snaps, looked strong and held his own. Yet Tucker has a long way to go just to make the team.

Overall, I don't see NFL level depth at Guard position

Tackle      

Raimann / Smith Starters.  

Coming off a brutal rookie season, Blake Freeland, looks likely to be the teams "go to" backup Tackle. However on the same play when Ehlinger got hit, Freeland returned to his old "turnstile" form. as you mentioned, he doesn't look good. 

That leaves us with only (3rd round rookie) Matt  Goncalves and Jake Witt 

From what I saw of Goncalves yesterday, he looks promising. He played for a long stretch and I thought Matt did a  nice job. Jake Witt (IR all of 2023) has not shown anything to date.

I worry about the Tackle depth. Like everyone else, I hope Freeland develops, but based on training camp reporting, and yesterdays preseason game, it does not look like Freeland has figured it out quite yet. Leaving us with only an untested rookie to shore up the Tackle position should someone get hurt.

I view Tackle depth as a problem.

On a side note, we all know our CB room look's very shaky,

and I also think we are terribly thin at LB. Having only two frontline players Franklin and Speed.

The backups are a mashup of small hybrid (LB/Safety), practice squad, type players. Stuard, Olubi, McGrone, Ajiaki, Anderson and (5th round rookie) Jaylon Carlies. 

I have serious concerns regarding the LBs and solely blame Ballard for neglecting, or even undermining, the LB position for years.

You had me on board right up to the last sentence.

if there’s one position on this team Ballard has not neglected or undermined, it’s LB.

Darius Leonard

EJ Speed

Bobby O

Franklin 

just to name a few

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Per PFF, in 8 snaps, Latu had 2 pass-rush wins against one of the best pass-protecting LTs in the league and 2 dominant run stops...

Per PFF Latu is our highest graded pass rusher (70.9) so far. Lewis 2nd (70.6). 

Both jumped off the tape on very limited snaps. 

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Twitter is ridiculous. I've never seen two incomplete passes get so overanalyzed in my entire life. Like why? One was a free blitzer and the other Granson ran into Pitt's defender. What am I missing?

Well bc the knock on AR is his accuracy (or lack of) and inexperience. Until he puts down a whole season of film showing otherwise you’re going To have your critics. Heck I don’t blame them…..I need to see it too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well bc the knock on AR is his accuracy (or lack of) and inexperience. Until he puts down a whole season of film showing otherwise you’re going To have your critics. Heck I don’t blame them…..I need to see it too.

Again it's two incomplete passes in the preseason after not playing football for over 300 days. What were you expecting? 100 yards and two tds?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

No, I was hoping to see him drive the ball down the field and score some points even if it was a field goal. That’s what I was hoping/expecting.

If you were expecting Shane to open the playbook in a meaningless game, you were asking to be disappointed. Wait til preseason game 3 as more of a dress rehearsal. This game was only to get his feet wet. Nothing more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

if there’s one position on this team Ballard has not neglected or undermined, it’s LB.

Darius Leonard

EJ Speed

Bobby O

Franklin 

just to name a few

Leonard was dominant for 4 years. The others are no where close to top lb’s. This position has been a weak spot for numerous gm’s!

• Disappointed with the run defense 
  • NO pass rush and I believe we only touched their QB was once
  • Denver didn't look rusty like we did, All of their QB's had time to throw and made plays 
  • Blackmon, Moore and McGrone were solid 
  • Slovis didnt look good but Bean was better and I hope he can beat out Ehrlinger for #3
  • Gay needs to be clutch this season he was not last season 
  • I am looking forward to seeing the 1st teams play at least a quarter 

Go Horse!

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

If you were expecting Shane to open the playbook in a meaningless game, you were asking to be disappointed. Wait til preseason game 3 as more of a dress rehearsal. This game was only to get his feet wet. Nothing more

Denver looked fairly  sharp and I hope our defense will play better when it counts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:
  • Disappointed with the run defense 
  • NO pass rush and I believe we only touched their QB was once
  • Denver didn't look rusty like we did, All of their QB's had time to throw and made plays 
  • Blackmon, Moore and McGrone were solid 
  • Slovis didnt look good but Bean was better and I hope he can beat out Ehrlinger for #3
  • Gay needs to be clutch this season he was not last season 
  • I am looking forward to seeing the 1st teams play at least a quarter 

Go Horse!

I don't agree at all with zero pass rush atleast not from the starters. Latu, Tyquan, and Paye were constantly in the backfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Again it's two incomplete passes in the preseason after not playing football for over 300 days. What were you expecting? 100 yards and two tds?

Yes on 1/1 throwing too

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Darius Leonard

EJ Speed

Bobby O

Franklin 

just to name a few

Ok. But only Franklin and Speed remain. Are you comfortable with our 2024 LB depth? Should the starters get hurt?

9 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Ok. But only Franklin and Speed remain. Are you comfortable with our 2024 LB depth? Should the starters get hurt?

Im never comfortable with depth at any position. Never have been dating all the way back to the 1980s. I’d love to have studs in back up roles at every single but frankly, at some point, the players have to step up into roles when needed. 

besides, I have very low expectations this coming season. Simply cause to me, this is ARs rookie year and it all starts at QB. 

but to your point, none of those names were stars when Ballard drafted them. Yet, they are all above average starters. If there is one position I truly trust Ballard on, it’s the LB position. He’s hit there the most often with OL being second