Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will get left out of the tight end room?

twfish

Who gets left out of the TE room?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. One tight end is likely going to have to be cut, which one will it be

• Kylen Granson
    • Jelani Woods
    • Will Mallory
    • Moe Allie-Cox
    • Drew Ogletree

5 hours ago, BCMak24 said:

Lol what? Granson has been a hidden gem he can be a vertical threat and he will get his hands dirty blocking too

1 TD 776 yards and 72 receptions in 3 years is hardly a hidden gem 

6 hours ago, twfish said:

1 TD 776 yards and 72 receptions in 3 years is hardly a hidden gem 

He was never projected to be starting TE and he's a 4th round pick you really expect more from that? Lol

Its interesting with Woods. In terms of body of work between him and the other TEs, there is a case he could be cut. But he was brought in here to be developed, and it would be surprising after just one healthy season (and he wasn't always healthy in 2022) to be cut before his third season. I think Ballard will want to see him this year and see if he develops.

Really have no idea who will get cut to be honest. I think Ogletree possibly.

1 hour ago, DattMavis said:

I think we keep all of them, but if anyone gets cut, maybe MAC just because of age...and we're the same age, so it hurts me to say that. 🫠

Mac started the game yesterday.  He played well.  I would be surprised if he’s cut at this stage.  No one has moved him down the depth chart.  Guys playing on the 3rd team are the ones on the bubble imo.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I didn’t notice Ogletree out there vs the Broncos.  Anybody else notice him?

He was in the game, I don't think they threw to him.

I like Laura Overton, but to me it's so annoying when she's doing sideline interviews while the game is going on.  I know it's while 2nd and 3rd stringers are out there, but I'd much rather watch them than hear a fluff interview.

(Yes, I'm a grumpy old man)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Smonroe said:

I like Laura Overton, but to me it's so annoying when she's doing sideline interviews while the game is going on.  I know it's while 2nd and 3rd stringers are out there, but I'd much rather watch them than hear a fluff interview.

Those interviews are an irritation - nothing more.  A jobs program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, husker61 said:

I have been saying granson for a while. I want taller te’s unless they are outstanding, and granson isn’t.

He's our best receiving TE!  He's not getting cut.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He's our best receiving TE!  He's not getting cut.

But he's not that good lol. I'd argue Mallory is a better receiver already, he just needs to be healthy.

I don't see Granson being cut but he's kind of maxed out his potential at mediocre at best. The others guys (not Cox) can be mediocre and maybe more.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

But he's not that good lol. I'd argue Mallory is a better receiver already, he just needs to be healthy.

I don't see Granson being cut but he's kind of maxed out his potential at mediocre at best. The others guys (not Cox) can be mediocre and maybe more.

Lol how can you say he's not that good when they haven't really utilize their tight ends to their full potential since jack doyle? Granson can create separation plus he's improved on the catching the ball

12 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

Lol how can you say he's not that good when they haven't really utilize their tight ends to their full potential since jack doyle? Granson can create separation plus he's improved on the catching the ball

Because I've watched him play for three years. I don't think it's a stretch to say "he's not that good". He's a lower tier starting TE on any scale.

This is why I'm hopeful Mallory eats into his snaps, if not completely takes over.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BCMak24 said:

He was never projected to be starting TE and he's a 4th round pick you really expect more from that? Lol

4th rounder has no weight on it for me. However he was brought in to be a gadget tight end like what Reich had in Philly with Trey Burton. To me that’s all he will be and will never be a star in the league. I don’t know why it’s believed he should be the starting tight end. Almost everyone has a better ceiling then him.

4 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I respect Kevin Bowen’s opinion.  He’s been to all of the practices where they allow media.  He said that Granson was the best of the group, and Venturi agreed.  Except Venturi said he doesn’t really count him like that, he’s more of a Hybrid.  

They both said Ogletree was the best ‘real’ TE.  

I’ve not been to practice, and we know that doesn’t compare to real game action.   But it’s all we can go on at this time.   The cream will rise as the season goes on.

I do agree that this team doesn’t have an elite TE like so many other teams have.  I think we all wanted Woods to be that guy.  It may still happen, but I guess he hasn’t shown it this season so far.  

But back to your comment that brought this on, they’re not going to cut the guy who’s been their best TE this year.  

• Like 1

Woods, Ogletree, Mallory to be kept …. and maybe keep MAC for is acclaimed locker room / veteran presence as well?

To me Granson is the cut, unless he is to be kept for a hybrid / non TE role.

17 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Because I've watched him play for three years. I don't think it's a stretch to say "he's not that good". He's a lower tier starting TE on any scale.

This is why I'm hopeful Mallory eats into his snaps, if not completely takes over.

Since he's been drafted he's done more than the starting TE moe ali cox and the great "hype" woods has done.....I've been watching this team for years and the tight ends haven't been used much since jack doyle left

17 hours ago, twfish said:

4th rounder has no weight on it for me. However he was brought in to be a gadget tight end like what Reich had in Philly with Trey Burton. To me that’s all he will be and will never be a star in the league. I don’t know why it’s believed he should be the starting tight end. Almost everyone has a better ceiling then him.

I don't know why that wouldn't matter since most players who get drafted in the 4th round usually don't make the team but granson has been proven he can be useful to this offense he's been having a great training camp so far and he had a great training camp last season....they're not cutting him so get used to it

38 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

I don't know why that wouldn't matter since most players who get drafted in the 4th round usually don't make the team but granson has been proven he can be useful to this offense he's been having a great training camp so far and he had a great training camp last season....they're not cutting him so get used to it

"... most players who get drafted in the 4th round usually don't make the team..."

Unequivocally false. And, what does it matter where he was drafted? He's a mediocre at best TE and this team needs better. Being "great" in training camp =/= great player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

"... most players who get drafted in the 4th round usually don't make the team..."

Unequivocally false. And, what does it matter where he was drafted? He's a mediocre at best TE and this team needs better. Being "great" in training camp =/= great player.

False? There aren't many starters in the league who got drafted in the 4th round plus when he was drafted the tight end position wasn't a huge need anyway but depth is always welcome.....he's great in his own way

2 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

False? There aren't many starters in the league who got drafted in the 4th round plus when he was drafted the tight end position wasn't a huge need anyway but depth is always welcome.....he's great in his own way

Moving the goalposts. Nice.

Again, who cares? His draft position has no relevance. Mo, Olgetree, and Mallory were all drafted later (Woods was a few picks earlier). It has no relevance.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Moving the goalposts. Nice.

Again, who cares? His draft position has no relevance. Mo, Olgetree, and Mallory were all drafted later (Woods was a few picks earlier). It has no relevance.

If he was a 1st/2nd round pick the conversation would be totally different.....so yeah the draft pick definitely does matter because if he didn't pan out well enough he would've been cut sooner than later.....when you already have 4 tight ends that position isn't a priority in the draft

I voted Granson.  I have had Mo as a cut all off-season, but the way the coaching staff has basically stated that the most versatile TEs will be kept has changed my mind.  Mo, Ogletree, and Woods all have the size to do some blocking in the pass and run game.  Granson and Mallory are the pure receivers, and The latter is younger and under contract for two additional years.  My gut tells me that the coaches will bring back Mo for leadership, versatility (he’s still supposed to be the group’s best blocker), and consistency.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCMak24 said:

The majority of rosters are constructed by 3rd-6th rounders. Also the majority of your top tight ends in the league are all middle to late round picks, Kelce was a 3rd, Kittle was a 5th, Darren Waller was a 6th, Mark Andrews 3rd, Logan Thomas 4th, Dalton Shultz 4th round. Tight ends are relatively across the board. Like most other positions but more so TE's draft position is not a indicator of success. For whatever reason the position is hard to be evaluated going into the league. Bust potential is some of the highest on the TE position. So that's why it hold little value to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BCMak24 said:

Since he's been drafted he's done more than the starting TE moe ali cox and the great "hype" woods has done.....I've been watching this team for years and the tight ends haven't been used much since jack doyle left

i would like to see the tight ends used more for dink and dunk to move the chains and in the red zone some 3 tight end sets

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 2:49 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

I think every aspect of Mallory's game is better than Granson. Imo, Mallory will be the best TE of this group.

Granson followed closely by Mo are my picks to be cut.

Except availability 

2 hours ago, twfish said:

The majority of rosters are constructed by 3rd-6th rounders. Also the majority of your top tight ends in the league are all middle to late round picks, Kelce was a 3rd, Kittle was a 5th, Darren Waller was a 6th, Mark Andrews 3rd, Logan Thomas 4th, Dalton Shultz 4th round. Tight ends are relatively across the board. Like most other positions but more so TE's draft position is not a indicator of success. For whatever reason the position is hard to be evaluated going into the league. Bust potential is some of the highest on the TE position. So that's why it hold little value to me.

Yes for depth.....no team is going to the draft and think oh we can find a starter in the 4th or 5th round....now there are exceptions also some are hidden gems who turn out to be really good....usually 1st to 3rd rounders are expected to make the cut or they build thru free agency 

This question is extremely tough

Granson is a good football player

He fills a role as Hback better than anyone on the team as well as slot

The guy blocks much bigger than his size

Cox is a guy that seems to have the blocking side better than others

Ogletree has shown great ability as well

Mallory catches everything

My gut says that if Woods doesn’t get in the grove he may be the surprise cut or trade

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

This question is extremely tough

Granson is a good football player

He fills a role as Hback better than anyone on the team as well as slot

The guy blocks much bigger than his size

Cox is a guy that seems to have the blocking side better than others

Ogletree has shown great ability as well

Mallory catches everything

My gut says that if Woods doesn’t get in the grove he may be the surprise cut or trade

I hope Woods doesn't become our new Mike Strachan.  

• Like 1

Well it depends on how we plan to run the offense. Steichen when hired said "We are gonna throw to score and run to win". But the way this team is set up I think we are gonna RPO to score and run to win....that changes the order of TE's with a premium being on the best blocking TE's vs route running. MAC and Ogletree are the best pair for the run, Granson and Coin flip between Woods high un reached ceiling and Mallorys workman like find a way pass catching ability to be one of the candidates for odd man out. If we truly are going to throw to score run to win, it Puts MAC or Ogletree as the coin flip odd man out.  Kind of reminds me of the George Carlin schtick, "I never had a 10 but once in college I had 5 - 2's"

On 8/12/2024 at 3:31 PM, Smonroe said:

I agree. I don't tune in to watch a game only to have to suddenly watch an interview while the game is going on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be typical Colts Luck if after cutting Woods he finally puts it together and thrives somewhere else. Granson, Mo and Ogletree are locks. It’s between Woods and Mallory let’s see who performs better these next two pre season games.