Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will get left out of the tight end room?

twfish

Who gets left out of the TE room?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. One tight end is likely going to have to be cut, which one will it be

• Kylen Granson
    • Jelani Woods
    • Will Mallory
    • Moe Allie-Cox
    • Drew Ogletree

I think it will be highly unlikely we keep 5 tight ends on the active roster so one is going to have to go. Whether it's by trade or by cut and I don't believe we will be able to stash any of them on the practice squad.

• Like 1

Doubt we keep five, but the regular season is still a month away, and the way injuries seem to go with this team, having five players is good, since even if one TE gets hurt, it still leaves us with four.

• Like 2

A case can be made for keeping 5.  Granson is a TE in name only.  He's more of an H back.  He's supposedly having a great camp and is probably the best receiver out of the group.

The goal for this team is to "run to win", so blocking is important.  (And probably will be the reason that Pierce gets more time than AD).  Mo is probably the best blocker.

From what the media guys have been saying Ogletree has been the best TE so far.  They're not going to cut Woods, he has too much potential.

So my reluctant vote would be for Mallory.  I know he was the fastest TE at the combine and has a lot of potential.  He may be hard to sneak onto the PS.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

A case can be made for keeping 5.  Granson is a TE in name only.  He's more of an H back.  He's supposedly having a great camp and is probably the best receiver out of the group.

The goal for this team is to "run to win", so blocking is important.  (And probably will be the reason that Pierce gets more time than AD).  Mo is probably the best blocker.

From what the media guys have been saying Ogletree has been the best TE so far.  They're not going to cut Woods, he has too much potential.

So my reluctant vote would be for Mallory.  I know he was the fastest TE at the combine and has a lot of potential.  He may be hard to sneak onto the PS.

All great points and hard to argue. It really is a tough call at this point.

• Like 3

Didn’t we keep 5 last year?   I think I asked this before and @Superman  said something like there was an injury at the start of the season (Woods?) and we able to hide one.  But I think Steichen values all these guys.   And I think Woods is still knocking rust off.  He needs a little time. 

And the Colts highly value true-Y tight ends.   Woods and Ogletree were taken in the same draft.  Scouts said colleges are not turning out many Y’s they’re turning out F’s.   So when you find a Y you like, you take them.  

This is my long winded way of saying we will find a way to keep all 5. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Going to say woods and people will be mad.  Granson and Mallory are the same and could be one of them. I don’t think cox is going anywheee. Ogletree looked good before his incident last year.

I agree.  Steichen said Cox has been playing great with the ones.  Woods has been getting reps with the 2’s and 3’s.  If we trim one I think it could be a swap of players with another team or getting a draft pick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn’t we keep 5 last year?   I think I asked this before and @Superman  said something like there was an injury at the start of the season (Woods?) and we able to hide one.  But I think Steichen values all these guys.   And I think Woods is still knocking rust off.  He needs a little time. 

And the Colts highly value true-Y tight ends.   Woods and Ogletree were taken in the same draft.  Scouts said colleges are not turning out many Y’s they’re turning out F’s.   So when you find a Y you like, you take them.  

This is my long winded way of saying we will find a way to keep all 5. 

They kept five at cutdown, including Woods. Then they put Woods on IR a few days later. The rule was that if a team wanted the option of returning a player from IR at some point during the season, he had to start the regular season on the 53 man roster. Since the team was hoping to activate Woods eventually, they preserved that option by keeping him on the 53 man roster. (That rule has been changed for the 2024 season. Now a player can go on IR prior to the 53 man cutdown, and still have the option of returning from IR later in the season.) 

So technically, they kept four TEs that they expected to be on the active roster, and they used a procedural tactic to keep Woods available for return from IR. But the number we should be expecting is four TEs, not five. IMO. And I think Woods will be one of those four.

I still think Mo Alie Cox is superfluous, at best. But I guess Woods and Ogletree have to show that they can adequately replace him. 

• Like 2

I believe all 5 will be kept unless Woods suddenly starts balling out in the preseason games.  MAC and Tree are the starters in the 12 formation.  Granson is starting in the 11 formation.  Woods hasn’t shown enough yet to release MAC. 

4 hours ago, twfish said:

I think it will be highly unlikely we keep 5 tight ends on the active roster so one is going to have to go. Whether it's by trade or by cut and I don't believe we will be able to stash any of them on the practice squad.

Great poll.    Wish the votes were public 

I'd say  Mo would be the one out.      Haven't seen enough of Woods to cut him    I have always thought he would turn out to be a great TE.     I have been on the Granson train since drafted.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

They kept five at cutdown, including Woods. Then they put Woods on IR a few days later. The rule was that if a team wanted the option of returning a player from IR at some point during the season, he had to start the regular season on the 53 man roster. Since the team was hoping to activate Woods eventually, they preserved that option by keeping him on the 53 man roster. (That rule has been changed for the 2024 season. Now a player can go on IR prior to the 53 man cutdown, and still have the option of returning from IR later in the season.) 

So technically, they kept four TEs that they expected to be on the active roster, and they used a procedural tactic to keep Woods available for return from IR. But the number we should be expecting is four TEs, not five. IMO. And I think Woods will be one of those four.

I still think Mo Alie Cox is superfluous, at best. But I guess Woods and Ogletree have to show that they can adequately replace him. 

Thank you.   That response was exactly why I alerted you to my post.   And I didn’t know about the rule change for 2024 season.   

So….  Let me ask you this…

Could the Colts cut MAC with the intention of signing him back in a day or two?  Thus, adhering to the rules and keeping us at 5 TE’s.    Possible?   

My vote is MAC. Love his story and he’s played decent for us but I think we’ve already seen his ceiling. He’s never played as physical as someone his size should IMHO. If he had some nastiness to him I think he could have been better. He’s going to be 31 this year and clearly isn’t running any faster. He’s also not the blocker he should be at this point, it should honestly be his forte at 6’5 260. I think Ogletree all around is better then Moe is and I do believe is Woods was healthy last year he would have been cut.

I would prefer him traded but doubt anyone will. If it was between him and Mallory at this point I’d take Mallory. He’s got wheels and when his name was called last year he did play really well. MAC being on the field is only taking opportunity’s away from our young guys and if we need a jumbo package then either Freeland or Witt can come in. Witt probably has as good of hands too haha 

• Like 3

I said Woods. He dosnt seem to be getting first team reps from the tweets I've been seeing in the other threads. I believe there was one today saying he was primarily with the 2s and 3s. I hope he becomes the TE we saw during the Steelers and KC games a few years ago.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.   That response was exactly why I alerted you to my post.   And I didn’t know about the rule change for 2024 season.   

So….  Let me ask you this…

Could the Colts cut MAC with the intention of signing him back in a day or two?  Thus, adhering to the rules and keeping us at 5 TE’s.    Possible?   

Yeah, they could. But I don't see how it helps them. They'd still have to make a roster spot for him eventually. I don't think carrying 5 TEs makes a lot of sense for any team. 

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, they could. But I don't see how it helps them. They'd still have to make a roster spot for him eventually. I don't think carrying 5 TEs makes a lot of sense for any team. 

I thought perhaps some roster gymnastics might allow the Colts to hide someone (MAC) on in IL for a while to bring back later.  

Just thinking out loud. 

Honestly I could see Granson cut or traded in a surprise move. I could be wrong but I trust what I saw in the Miami university tape.Mallory is an H Back just like Granson. Colts go with Mallory over Granson at H back bc he is bigger, stronger and faster than Granson. I'm sure Ballard envisions Woods and Ogletree as the main two tight ends. As usual Mo Cox stays on the Roster due to blocking and being a pretty decent receiver(better than most blocking tight ends). We have a lot more WR this year than last year to be keeping all the TE.

• Thanks 3

I voted MAC.  I believe he's already peaked, and also that he's peaked as "less than" Doyle.  He's useful.  And serviceable.  But we can do better.  Which is why we drafted Granson in the first place.  And Woods.  And Ogletree.  And Mallory.  We're wanting more than what MAC has already peaked out to be.  Has any of the other actually attained that yet?  Uh... no.  But all of them are trending upward.  While MAC has already hit his peak.

Personally, I would start Ogletree, with Granson in as a pure passing TE, Mallory as the alternative pure passing TE, and Woods working out of the short yardage, goal line, 2TE set for either added blocking, or the tall bully TE catching the touchdown pass in traffic.

• Like 1

I kind of feel like we really know what we have on MAC and Granson…neither are impressive…but I think MAC is the most likely to be gone if one of them gets axed…just because it’s exactly that…you know what you’ve got with him and it’s less than impressive.

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I kind of feel like we really know what we have on MAC and Granson…neither are impressive…but I think MAC is the most likely to be gone if one of them gets axed…just because it’s exactly that…you know what you’ve got with him and it’s less than impressive.

You would think so but Shane really praised him on Friday.

• Thanks 1

I think Woods COULD be a surprise cut. I understand he was out all last season, but he’s running with the twos and three’s. And this is year 3 for him.  At this point, he should probably be further along. He may ultimately be a guy who never rises above just being an elite athlete. We will see though. It’s possible they keep all 5, but with the uncertainty in the secondary, I wouldn’t count on them prioritizing having 5 TEs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Wouldn’t it be a riot if Mac has a big year with AR.  That would throw everyone for a loop.

I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. Are we confident they are going to cut Mo for Woods who has not proven anything? I’m not sure who we let go of, tbh… 

• Like 1

MAC stepped up his blocking under Steichen. The missed assignments and weak efforts were pretty much gone. As a pass catcher he is functional, not much.

Ogeltree can play at his level or better. For depth we need that 2nd short yardage blocker.

Woods has to prove he can do it. He still has 3 weeks.

Granson actually cleaned up his poor execution too. No reason to believe Mallory won't get coached up to.

One of our guys will have an injury to start the season, if need be.

But Pocketing Mo's $$$ sure would be nice.

22 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Lol what? Granson has been a hidden gem he can be a vertical threat and he will get his hands dirty blocking too

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Granson and Cox are FA. So it will be interesting. Colts have to decide if they are going to want to extend them. If they don’t they maybe they are trade bait.

I keep forgetting they are both FA’s next year, which could easily play into it.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Looks like Ogeltree is at the bottom of the depth chart based on how guys played in the first half.

I think so. But as @Restinpeacesweetchloe said, Mo and Granson are both in their final years, where Ogeltree is minimal for 2025. That’s a tough decision. 

not a bad problem though. Wish we had this problem with the secondary. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think so. But as @Restinpeacesweetchloe said, Mo and Granson are both in their final years, where Ogeltree is minimal for 2025. That’s a tough decision. 

not a bad problem though. Wish we had this problem with the secondary. 

Woods equals cox and mallory equals granson. But Ogletree did not  help himself with the off the field stuff. He played well last season after missing his rookie year so that at least helps him.