Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Beloved Colts reporter…

Our beloved Greg Doyle has been suspended from the Star for comments and gestures made to Caitlin Clark… figured since so many loved his articles about the colts, it was worth pointing out

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Our beloved Greg Doyle has been suspended from the Star for comments and gestures made to Caitlin Clark… figured since so many loved his articles about the colts, it was worth pointing out

He has been a * for years.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I just watched the interaction and wouldn’t think that is suspension worthy. I don’t care that he was but it seemed more like a compliment than anything. I guess I don’t understand the “outrage” but maybe just talk to him and say it was unprofessional.  Oh well, time off is always good!!  

• Like 1

To be clear…. There has not been a suspension for a second violation.  This suspension is for the original incident which happened three weeks ago, back on April 17.  

I think Doyel issued two apologies.  One that night and the other the next day.  Honestly, as awkward and clumsy as it was, I thought Doyle actually meant well.  

I dislike Doyel as much as anyone.  But I think this is a bit of overkill.  I don’t think it comes from the Indy Star.  The newspaper is now owned by Gannett which owns USA Today.  Corporate wheels move very slowly.  I wish this had blown over. 

If I had thought for a moment that Doyel was being a jerk or a bad guy in any way I wouldn’t mind someone dropping the hammer on him.  This all feels a bit much, but life is often unfair.  

Ok…. I’ve defended Greg Doyel.  I’ll go take a shower now.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I just watched the interaction and wouldn’t think that is suspension worthy. I don’t care that he was but it seemed more like a compliment than anything. I guess I don’t understand the “outrage” but maybe just talk to him and say it was unprofessional.  Oh well, time off is always good!!  

I agree; it was awkward, and a little odd, but I don't think it warranted a suspension. Maybe the suspension will convince him to move and stop covering the Colts. 😂

• Like 3

What some people are failing to realize is, this incident with Caitlin is not the full reason why he is in water. It is the numerous bashing/negativity of all Indiana teams over the years and him being jerkbutt towards people in general for years that led to this. This was the one that finally broke the Camels back. Also, it was very creepy the way he came off, obvious to me anyway. 

Had this been Kevin Bowen that did something similar he would not of got into as much trouble because he has a reputation of being a great guy and doesn't bad mouth everything. Get the point!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear…. There has not been a suspension for a second violation.  This suspension is for the original incident which happened three weeks ago, back on April 17.  

I think Doyel issued two apologies.  One that night and the other the next day.  Honestly, as awkward and clumsy as it was, I thought Doyle actually meant well.  

I dislike Doyel as much as anyone.  But I think this is a bit of overkill.  I don’t think it comes from the Indy Star.  The newspaper is now owned by Gannett which owns USA Today.  Corporate wheels move very slowly.  I wish this had blown over. 

If I had thought for a moment that Doyel was being a jerk or a bad guy in any way I wouldn’t mind someone dropping the hammer on him.  This all feels a bit much, but life is often unfair.  

I do think the reason for the suspension is because of who he was speaking with. Clark is probably the most hyped prospective athlete to come to Indianapolis. Had this exchange happened with someone else it probably only makes the local tabloids. But Clark is national news-level celebrity status. It honestly kind of reminds me of Taylor Swift in terms of popularity and a fast rise of celebrity status. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What some people are failing to realize is, this incident with Caitlin is not the full reason why he is in water. It is the numerous bashing/negativity of all Indiana teams over the years and him being jerkbutt towards people in general for years that led to this. This was the one that finally broke the Camels back. Also, it was very creepy the way he came off, obvious to me anyway. 

Had this been Kevin Bowen that did something similar he would not of got into as much trouble because he has a reputation of being a great guy and doesn't bad mouth everything. Get the point!

*hot water. 

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is exactly it!!!

• Thanks 1

We NEED the laugh emoji back for this post haha 

Still have no idea how he has kept a job so long, he has turned so many people off of the star it would have been wise to just cut ties. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’m happy to hear it. He’s a very creepy turd.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

...and him being jerkbutt towards people in general for years that led to this...

Wait. Did you just use jerkbutt in a sentence?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Caitlyn Clark is Star Power. 

Ranking current Indy Sports figures today-

Clark by a Landslide

JT 

Haliburton

Doyel, a guppy in the big world. Yawn. 

Thanks!  I’m not sure I fully appreciated just how popular Clark has become so quickly.    Ahead of Halliburton?   Ahead of all Colts players?!?   I confess I didn’t realize that.   WOW, that is impressive.  

Appreciate the good 411.   🏆 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks!  I’m not sure I fully appreciated just how popular Clark has become so quickly.    Ahead of Halliburton?   Ahead of all Colts players?!?   I confess I didn’t realize that.   WOW, that is impressive.  

Her and Haliburton are pretty even popularity wise that is how popular she is. Haliburton's popularity went up after the Pacers beat Milwaukee. So, he is right there with her. Not sure if she is more popular than JT because football is a different sport so to football fans/Colts fans she isn't. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Fever had 3 of their games televised last year.  Tonite is their first game this year, and  I’ve read they are scheduled to be on 36 times. (Edit- I had read that. I just checked WTHR, and they are covering 17 games, and The WNBA App says it will carry tonite for free, and every WNBA game on their League Pass. I read that Hulu will carry some games. I have no idea what other outlets will carry the Fever.) Ticket sales have skyrocketed nationwide for Fever Games- several nationwide arenas where the Fever will play away are sold out for her game. All before she has played a game. If she produces as advertised, she can and will write her ticket to riches. (And already has!)

Edited by jimmy g
More info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

The Fever had 3 of their games televised last year.  Tonite is their first game this year, and  I’ve read they are scheduled to be on 36 times. (Edit- I had read that. I just checked WTHR, and they are covering 17 games, and The WNBA App says it will carry tonite for free, and every WNBA game on their League Pass. I read that Hulu will carry some games. I have no idea what other outlets will carry the Fever.) Ticket sales have skyrocketed nationwide for Fever Games- several nationwide arenas where the Fever will play away are sold out for her game. All before she has played a game. If she produces as advertised, she can and will write her ticket to riches. (And already has!)

She is bigtime, Peyton gave her all of his airport connections (captains) on what flights to take, he also gave her his contacts for St. Elmo to get free meals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

She is bigtime, Peyton gave her all of his airport connections (captains) on what flights to take, he also gave her his contacts for St. Elmo to get free meals. 

She definitely is a huge draw right now. I’m interested to see if it stays that way.  Women’s college basketball is more popular than the WNBA in my eyes. I hope she helps the league take the next step. It’s one heck of a task. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

She is currently at the height of her celebrity.   Luckily she has cashed in with endorsement deals.   The WNBA isn't an exciting sport.  They need to lower the rims .   Cheryl Miller is the greatest women's basketball player I have ever seen.   If Diana Taurasi, Lisa Leslie, Tamika Catchings (also a Fever player), Sheryl Swoopes etc can't get people excited about the WNBA no one will.   The WNBA needs players that can drive inside and finish.   That makes basketball exciting.   I would bet many WNBA players can out shoot many NBA players,   that doesn't bring ratings.  Lower the rim, let the girls play inside

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

She is currently at the height of her celebrity.   Luckily she has cashed in with endorsement deals.   The WNBA isn't an exciting sport.  They need to lower the rims .   Cheryl Miller is the greatest women's basketball player I have ever seen.   If Diana Taurasi, Lisa Leslie, Tamika Catchings (also a Fever player), Sheryl Swoopes etc can't get people excited about the WNBA no one will.   The WNBA needs players that can drive inside and finish.   That makes basketball exciting.   I would bet many WNBA players can out shoot many NBA players,   that doesn't bring ratings.  Lower the rim, let the girls play inside

It will never happen, but I love your idea, if you lower the rim to 9.5 feet from 10 feet, WNBA players would even try and dunk more and go hard to the basket twice as much. The women that play have great fundamentals, and many can shoot the 3 well but the athleticism isn't there to play on a 10 foot rim. You have a slight few that can dunk if nobody is around them, but they are like 6'7 or taller which isn't many. Griner is a freak of nature. 

I also have no doubt that Clark will be just as great in the Pro's because nobody can shoot like her. It is about shooting and fundamentals in women's basketball. Clark has already faced the best competition she is going to face by playing LSU in 2023 Finals, South Carolina twice = in the Final 4 in 2023/Finals in 2024, and UConn in 2024 in the Final 4. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will never happen, but I love your idea, if you lower the rim to 9.5 feet from 10 feet, WNBA players would even try and dunk more and go hard to the basket twice as much. The women that play have great fundamentals, and many can shoot the 3 well but the athleticism isn't there to play on a 10 foot rim. You have a slight few that can dunk if nobody is around them, but they are like 6'7 or taller which isn't many. Griner is a freak of nature. 

If they want views, they have to make it more exciting.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If they want views, they have to make it more exciting.   

They will have to do something. I think it’s trending in the direction they want but it depends on lasting star power.  I think this draft class popularity will all fizzle out in a couple years like it did for the other big stars from college. Sometimes sports leagues just don’t work out. Just like all the secondary football leagues throughout the year:  Arena football, XFL, NFL Europe etc… WNBA has been propped up from the beginning and the only reason it hasn’t been shutdown is bc of “outrage” by people who probably don’t even watch it. 

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

They will have to do something. I think it’s trending in the direction they want but it depends on lasting star power.  I think this draft class popularity will all fizzle out in a couple years like it did for the other big stars from college. Sometimes sports leagues just don’t work out. Just like all the secondary football leagues throughout the year:  Arena football, XFL, NFL Europe etc… WNBA has been propped up from the beginning and the only reason it hasn’t been shutdown is bc of “outrage” by people who probably don’t even watch it. 

I think a lot of people will watch the Fever because many want to see how great Clark can be in the WNBA, and many want to see her fail out of jealousy. Fever will draw big whoever they play, the other teams probably not. Maybe the team (Chicago) Angel Reese is on will, because of the little Rivalry her and Clark had. Chicago is a big market too.

To @jvan1973 point, they should lower the Rim to 9.5 feet from 10 feet. You would have players going to the basket more and maybe even trying dunk = exciting. Nothing against women, I love women, but overall they are just not as athletic as most men. Some can outshoot men and I love the fundamentals the women's game brings, but the women's game just lacks overall athleticism. Jvan also said that Cheryl Miller is the greatest women's basketball ever. I agree 100%. Out of all the women I have seen play not many have better than Clark though. Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Lise Lesile, Candice Parker, and Cynthia Cooper have been all dominant players as well = College and WNBA. I am sure I am leaving a few players out. @holeymoley99brought up Ann Myers, she could compete against certain men and hold her own back in the day, she even tried out for the Pacers but got cut.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 8:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

More than likely this is a culmination of things and this was the straw that broke the camel's back (maybe substitute Jacka$$ for camel). He is a terrible hometown team reporter and would not lose a minute's sleep if this were permanent.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:17 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I also have no doubt that Clark will be just as great in the Pro's because nobody can shoot like her. It is about shooting and fundamentals in women's basketball. Clark has already faced the best competition she is going to face by playing LSU in 2023 Finals, South Carolina twice = in the Final 4 in 2023/Finals in 2024, and UConn in 2024 in the Final 4. 

Not only is she a great shooter but she has of some of the best court awareness and is passer if have seen in women's BB or even men's BB. Her passing game impresses every bit as much as her shooting or even more.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Not only is she a great shooter but she has of some of the best court awareness and is passer if have seen in women's BB or even men's BB. Her passing game impresses every bit as much as her shooting or even more.

The Fever have Bigs and Shooters, but those were triple teamed last year. Covering Caitlin will leave them to get open. She’s perfect for the Fever.

• Like 1

By calling him a crybaby, Doyel ruined Steichen interviews for eternity.  Listen to Steichen interviews from Philly.  He sounds like a perfectly normal dude.  Now, because of Doyel, Steichen is guarded, and will do the cheap Belichick impersonation as long as he is here.

• Like 3