Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

draft grade

CR91

B for the talent, D+ for the positions drafted. We have once again completely ignored the defense, the same mistake we made with Manning. Also the O-line could have gotten some help. I still have to say back to back TE's in the 2nd and 3rd,!!????

B

I would have rather had Evan Rodriquez in the later rounds for our second TE and he is also a FB. I understand the TE set, but don't agree when they picked the 2nd TE in the third.. Costly [ick could have grabbed a 2nd TE much later

Like Hilton.. again Costly.. could have grabbed later IMO

Hope we can get some D help... CB !!

Luck A+

Fleener B+ (There were better players available but it was a solid pick)

Allen B+ (Randle would have been our pick if the Giants didn't pick him so this was BPA)

Hilton C (There were several better WR's available, and Lamar Miller and Bobby Massie who were late 1st talent was still available, and we traded up when we probably didn't have to.)

I'd say B+ or A- right now, If we could grab maybe Lamar miller yet and maybe Alfonzo Denard today I would grad this draft A+++ even just one of them would offer a lot of talent at positions were we cold of course use some upgrades.

I say a B right now. I probably wouldn't have went TE/TE back to back. I would have taken another TE later but can't argue that they did get the best two. I like Hilton but don't think we had to trade up. I think he would have been there today. That said I still like him. We had a plan and it is clear we are following it! That is exciting. Wether it is a plan we all agree with it is clear they wanted to go a direction and they did it. Solid B.

I would have loved to have got Reuben Randle (I think he had special talent) in round 3...kinda wish we would have moved up even if it was just giving up a 7th rounder to go a couple positions to get him when he fell. Could have taken a really good TE in round 4 or 5.

Way too early to grade - still have 6 more picks. But from who we have taken - Luck - A+ no brainer, Fleener - I actually love this pick - size+speed+hands =TD machine so I say an A. I don't follow college football enough to know the other guys, but Allen was winner of John Mackey award so expect good things out of him - B+ until I see more, and then taking a speedy receiver/return man could help to improve field position put more points on the board, so I would give a B for Hilton as well, (and if he has better hands than Garcon could easily turn to an A this year). I look for defense, defense, defense today.

Luck- A+

Fleener- A

Allen- B+

Hilton- B

This has been a solid draft so far. Luck is the Franchise guy, Fleener is Lucks "Go To" guy, Allen is the best All Around TE, and Hilton is a speedster that will change our return game and he will help extend the field. I'm excited to see where we go today and to see this offense next season.

My grade right now would be an incomplete.

I actually like loading up to support Luck because I am looking at this as a two year process to get the players we need to even be competitive for the playoffs.

If we do well in the rest of this year and have a good draft next year, along with signing a couple of impact free agents, my predictions for our record and climb back into Super Bowl contention looks like this. (My chrystal ball exploded while working on 2014 so it is a wag.)

2012 - 3-13

2013 - 8-8

2014 - 13-3

I think for the first three rounds, I have them at a B. Good draft, not perfect but good. So far

Luck: A+. Best player in the draft. Best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. It's not even fair to the rest of the league that we were in position to get him. haha

Fleener: B+. Easily the best TE in the draft. Athletic, good length, pretty fast and has good hands. Not a stellar run blocker, but he's at LEAST on par with Dallas Clark, and seems to be a little better at sealing than he was.

Allen: B. Pretty good pickup for our 3rd rounder. I'm not sure I'd call it a STEAL, but I like the pick. Give Luck another good target, Allen will provide a solid 2 TE set for years to come.

Hilton: C+. If we hadn't traded up for him, this would have been a B. Great returner, and is super fast. Not sure where he'll fit in on offense, but I'm sure we'll find a role for him. Remember, this is basically our 4th round pick.

We still have 2 5th rounders, a 6th and 3 7th's. I'm sure we'll get some defense with those. After all, our defense is probably pretty set personnel wise. We're really only missing a NT, and another CB. We'll see what happens.

Luck: A - Duh

Fleener: A - Works as a WR and a TE

Allen: A - Very Versatile that's why he has such a high grade, can play TE, WR, FB and HB

T Y Hilton: B - Fills 2 holes, WR depth and a PR/KR but we probably could have got him without giving up a pick and moving up, that brings his grade down a letter

Overall A for right now