Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d said speculated more than reported but for sake of argument let’s say it has been agreed too.  It hasn’t been announced.  I am more interested in what the trade compensation is then what the contract will be (assuming it’s in line for cornerbacks and not QB money or something) because teams can find ways to manage the cap to make contracts work.  So depending on what they would be giving up to get him in terms of trade value depends more on if I would be okay with it.  For example if it’s a second and another pick Id be okay with it but if it costs number 15 in anyway I am not going to be crazy about it.

I don’t think it’s our 1st… However, it’s not like it hasn’t happened before with Buckner, so who knows… 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think Mo is all that good as a blocker. 

Same

I was about to respond and say something similar.

He might be the best we have, but someone can be found for cheaper and that blocks just as good (not that good, lol).

Tyler Kroft is out there. Think that is one of his strengths?

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Russel Wilson is only under contract for a year. This could open Steelers up now to make a trade for Fields.

This has to be it. Good call.

Russell is definitely not their future, so will need to draft or like you said bring in Fields.

• Like 2

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think it’s our 1st… However, it’s not like it hasn’t happened before with Buckner, so who knows… 

Right, which is why I said I am more interested in finding out what the trade compensation is than the contract in terms of if I would do the trade or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's the equivalent of a low 4th round pick.

Never know, good backup and if he has to play maybe he increases his future potential compensation.

Trade may have been largely CAP management. Pickett will earn less than 2 mil; compared to the current market for veteran backups. Competent and cheap. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Right, which is why I said I am more interested in finding out what the trade compensation is than the contract in terms of if I would do the trade or not.

I’m not as concerned about the picks, because I don’t think it’ll be our 1st. And if they think he is a difference maker like Buckner has been for our defense, giving our 2nd and another up is worth it. The money does matter though. But again, if they deem him a difference maker worthy of the investment, then I think it’s going to be hard to be upset about in any way. 

Adding Sneed and a difference maker at receiver in the draft would be a good offseason in my eyes, with everything done so far. And I don’t think not getting him isn’t a deal breaker for it to be a good offseason, but other moves will need to be made… 

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Every player brought to the Colts were Ballard types.  Both Parris and Ebron were brought here post Reich hiring and don't fit the description of what frank supposedly wants.  As well as the Cain's and Fountain's.   Really, only pre-Pittman Funchess, Pittman, and now AP fit that narrative in 6 offseasons.  The TE's don't fit the physical TE narrative either.

Agreed, SS will have some different bent towards personnel.  But I look at it as him teaching Ballard what's important, rather than telling him who to pick.

Reich was the one who wanted Parris.  It was pretty well documented that Reich was the guy who pounded on the proverbial table for Campbell and Granson.  Ballard has always drafted for the system the coach was implementing all the way back to drafting Hooker for Pagano.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Definitely not our 1st

Potentially our 2nd(doubt it straight up)

Maybe we swap 2nds and add a 4th?

Swap 2nds and add a 5th and Ameer Speed?

Or 

2nd and 4th for Sneed and 3rd and 5th(this actually has similar value to our 2nd straight up, just keep same amount of picks ?

2nd for Sneed and 3rd values Sneed at Late 2nd round.

Could be:

3rd and 2025 3rd /or 4th

4th and Jones

Wish they would get it figured out one way or the other though.

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Reich was the one who wanted Parris.  It was pretty well documented that Reich was the guy who pounded on the proverbial table for Campbell and Granson.  Ballard has always drafted for the system the coach was implementing all the way back to drafting Hooker for Pagano.  

And worth noting as all GMs do before someone turns that into a shot against Ballard.

14 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Ok.  So Frank's system did not demand big physical receivers exclusively as a philosophy.  That's what I was saying earlier.  And for anybody to say that is what Frank wanted is not being accurate.

Not to quibble, but drafting for the system is not the same thing as letting the coach pick the player.  The GM finds the player for the system and makes choices based upon other needs or considerations.  Like if to choose the WR the HC/OC wants over an EDGE or an LT with a pick.  Any particular pick is still the GMs call.

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m not as concerned about the picks, because I don’t think it’ll be our 1st. And if they think he is a difference maker like Buckner has been for our defense, giving our 2nd and another up is worth it. The money does matter though. But again, if they deem him a difference maker worthy of the investment, then I think it’s going to be hard to be upset about in any way. 

Adding Sneed and a difference maker at receiver in the draft would be a good offseason in my eyes, with everything done so far. And I don’t think not getting him isn’t a deal breaker for it to be a good offseason, but other moves will need to be made… 

Yep agree. If we get Sneed and retain our 1st - all good.  Then just sign a safety and some veteran Oline depth.

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

That’s perfectly fine.  I was just saying I listed the draft capital as the reason I am waiting to see if I am on board with the trade.  I understand not everyone shares the same view as me.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Russel Wilson is only under contract for a year. This could open Steelers up now to make a trade for Fields.

Or it could not, which the far, far, far more likely result. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

i think they let russ play this year and they draft someone too to sit a year

22 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why ? They already signedWilson…

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe Ballard is targeting a safety in the draft and not free agency?  I know it’s not what some want but it might be what he’s thinking.

Meh.  I hope not lol.  It's not a great safety class from what I've read/heard.  Means we'd likely have to use an early rd pick (Dejean in rd 1?) to make sure the position was solidified.  I'd rather have all the bases covered at least somewhat so that we can take the most impactful player at our pick rather than potentially reaching for need.  But you could be right.  We don't know what Ballard is thinking.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Sneed is a free-agent just like every other free-agent who is trying to maximize his value.  Johnson just got a big deal from the Bears.  I'm sure he wants to be at that number or higher.  

????     I don’t believe Sneed is a free agent.   KC owns his rights.   For the Colts to acquire Sneed, they can’t just sign him, they have to work out a trade deal with the Chiefs.   

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe Ballard is targeting a safety in the draft and not free agency?  I know it’s not what some want but it might be what he’s thinking.

I haven't been overly impressed with the safety class. There are a few there though(Nubin). Plus we are already young there, we need a vet.

We do have Daniel Scott coming back as well, I know they had some high hopes on him.

I just don't think there is that much of a hurry there either(like the Mo situation). So many have signed, so many are still left on the market. So there is few teams that need safeties and a bunch of safeties still available.

Veteran Safeties can be brought in all the way through camp and I to the season.

Here is a list of all remaining unsigned Safeties, as well as FA that were signed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/all/

A lot of names on that list still.

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

I haven't been overly impressed with the safety class. There are a few there though(Nubin). Plus we are already young there, we need a vet.

We do have Daniel Scott coming back as well, I know they had some high hopes on him.

I just don't think there is that much of a hurry there either(like the Mo situation). So many have signed, so many are still left on the market. So there is few teams that need safeties and a bunch of safeties still available.

Veteran Safeties can be brought in all the way through camp and into the season.

Here is a list of all remaining unsigned Safeties, as well as FA that were signed.

Let’s not forget maybe Ryan Grigson’s best free agent Mike Adams was signed that way.

12 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

Well not need. But he's a sevicable backup who knows the blocking scheme and will be cheap.

id be just as content drafting a 7th round center 

44 minutes ago, w87r said:

Same

I was about to respond and say something similar.

He might be the best we have, but someone can be found for cheaper and that blocks just as good (not that good, lol).

Tyler Kroft is out there. Think that is one of his strengths?

This has to be it. Good call.

Russell is definitely not their future, so will need to draft or like you said bring in Fields.

Steelers can always decline his fifth year and nogtiate after the season. Or pick it up. Which is probably the more likely option. This had been rumored awhile with Steelers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let’s not forget maybe Ryan Grigson’s best free agent Mike Adams was signed that way.

Mike Mitchell as well, that was Ballard though.

• Like 1

Just now, Colts1324 said:

I’ve refreshed so many times hoping for this Sneed trade or a Safety signing - I’m worn out. lol 

Just watch for Chloe to be typing. Like right now.

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Veteran Safeties can be brought in all the way through camp and I to the season.

That’s why I am not super worried like some appear to be right now.  It’s still a long off-season with lots more time to improve the roster.  Ballard was never going to go out and break the bank on a major free agent.  That’s just not who he is.  Make a reasonable trade for a guy like Sneed and then pay them?  Sure that I can see, that’s him because at that point you aren’t bidding against other teams for his services.  He’s not going to over bid though for major free agents that’s just who he is.  I am confident he’s not done working on the roster.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Why ? They already signedWilson…

Would it be because its Wilson?

You know, the old, stubby, rag armed dude not worth signing for beyond one season. I'd go with that. And Fields is good with more upside.

8 minutes ago, AKB said:

id be just as content drafting a 7th round center 

I'm of the mindset that you should bring in 3 udfa O-lineman every year and hope one sticks. 

Who knows? Maybe they don't like Pinter. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder mentioned this morning that chiefs were  reasonable with their trade that it was just the extension part.

I think that Fuller contract is a major wrench in talks.

$7.5 AAV? He had an 83.1 PFF grade

Sneed had a 71 PFF

I think Sneed is better than that, his penalties are hurting his grade.

Sneed likely want around $20m, tag is $19.8m, so it makes sense to ask for it.

Likely we want $15m, hopefully they can settle at $17.5m and wrap this fiasco up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder mentioned this morning that chiefs were  reasonable with their trade that it was just the extension part.

I'm hoping this deal gets done so we can all start moaning about the value of the trade Ballard does........

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I brought up Adams because he turned into a pro-bowler for the Colts. 

Adams played deep and had 5 int. because bum QB's over threw their receivers and hit him right in the chest. This made him a pro-bowler.

Blackmon had 3 of his four this way last season.

Larry Brown got a SB MVP that way.

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

I’m guessing draft pick and a player for Sneed. 

KC released most of their WR’s so Pierce makes sense for them - especially since Mahomes can actually push the ball downfield.

I mean, so can Richardson, right?  

• Like 1