Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

How long are we willing to holdout?

I would think 1 more week should get a yay or nay from both sides.

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

2 wide open starting QB gigs in Denver (Stidham) and Minnesota (Darnold), would guess one may go after J.J. and the other Bo Nix

...or Michael Penix Jr.??

26 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Thought this was interesting….Keeps Houston out of the first round 

MIN going to trade up to #3 for Daniels? 

The next move will be #11, #23 and next year's 1 for #3. 

That MIN offense is loaded...Jefferson, Addison and Hock. Good OL. Good coaching. 

This is a huge gamble, but I love it. Great example of building the roster and then going all out to get the franchise QB. And that rookie QB deal should give them some flexibility in FA.

Makes sense for NE. They are so bad, so why not just rebuild the roster.

• Like 3

Just now, chad72 said:

I would think 1 more week should get a yay or nay from both sides.

...or Michael Penix Jr.??

One more week (like a good chunk of people are implying) and we may miss out on other quality players becoming unavailable. Hoping that’s isn’t the case. Simmons and Sneed and I’m a VERY happy camper.

I think Penix may surprise some people. I think that’s the move. 

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

2 wide open starting QB gigs in Denver (Stidham) and Minnesota (Darnold), would guess one may go after J.J. and the other Bo Nix

MIN could have gotten JJ, Nix or Penix from #11. They are shooting higher.

This move to get #23 feels like they are eyeing #3 (assuming CHI and WAS aren't open for business). Might even have the framework in place.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

How long are we willing to holdout?

I don’t know on that- possibly for as long as it takes (we would most certainly get a safety- although that might be part of it with Diggs, you never know. You get Snead and I’ll sign that day, type of deal) 

but it seems like Sneed doesn’t want out of KC unless he is getting exactly what he wants. I don’t necessarily blame him. Maybe he puts a high dollar value on staying with the team for a chance to go 3 peat, I don’t know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

MIN could have gotten JJ, Nix or Penix from #11. They are shooting higher.

This move to get #23 feels like they are eyeing #3 (assuming CHI and WAS aren't open for business). Might even have the framework in place.

The way QB's stock rise right before draft no guarantees, many have JJ going top 5 now so him dropping to 11 would be a risk

As you may notice, this trade currently leaves the Vikings without a single pick on Day 2, but the flexibility it gives them to target a quarterback on Day 1 is taking top priority for GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. In his latest mock draft, CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards had the Vikings trading up as high as the No. 5 overall pick with the Chargers to select Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy. 

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

MIN going to trade up to #3 for Daniels? 

The next move will be #11, #23 and next year's 1 for #3. 

That MIN offense is loaded...Jefferson, Addison and Hock. Good OL. Good coaching. 

This is a huge gamble, but I love it. Great example of building the roster and then going all out to get the franchise QB. And that rookie QB deal should give them some flexibility in FA.

Makes sense for NE. They are so bad, so why not just rebuild the roster.

Drake Maye, why doesn't he get as much hype as Caleb or Jayden? Could he be the #3 QB taken and Jayden the 2nd one by the Commanders?

It is too risky to get to #3 assuming Jayden will be there. I would honestly trade to #5 with the Chargers and not give up a future No.1 pick, if I were the Vikings, #11 and #23 should get you to No.5 easily. Chargers need multiple stabs in Round 1 to replenish their roster. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t know on that- possibly for as long as it takes (we would most certainly get a safety- although that might be part of it with Diggs, you never know. You get Snead and I’ll sign that day, type of deal) 

but it seems like Sneed doesn’t want out of KC unless he is getting exactly what he wants. I don’t necessarily blame him. Maybe he puts a high dollar value on staying with the team for a chance to go 3 peat, I don’t know. 

He would then have to play on the tag, can't have the cake and eat it too if I am Sneed. :) 

• Like 1

I think it is so funny that people are on here and are shocked that Ballard hasn't made any big signings 

Then again they probably walk outside in the morning and see the sun rising in the east and say "Damn it did it again!"

5 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised. And I also wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t out of the league in a few years due to ongoing injuries. He’s been put through the wringer with major injuries… 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

but regarding the TY/Marvin- like, the only one close to resembling that type under Frank’s offense was Campbell. Everyone else was Pittman type builds, essentially. 

It seems like Frank's offense did just fine with Luck TY and Ebron.  Yes, Luck was a big part but those other two players were more dynamic than anything we've had since, IMO.  I understand the idea that "Frank" demanded physical receivers, but it seems that "his offense" did just fine when it had the proper players too.  

Overall, I'm just saying that giving CB a pass for trying after 7 years is starting to look like soccer moms cheering hard because their kid keeps earning a Participation Trophy.  And if it comes from the media, they begin to lose credibility, IMO.

Oh  well, this is a bit OT.  Carry on.

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

I think it is so funny that people are on here and are shocked that Ballard hasn't made any big signings 

Then again they probably walk outside in the morning and see the sun rising in the east and say "Damn it did it again!"

can you imagine those people next month when the eclipse happens? They won’t know what to do… 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Overall, I'm just saying that giving CB a pass for trying after 7 years is starting to look like soccer moms cheering hard because their kid earning a Participation Trophy.

Not really when you think about it...

Parents are going to cheer for their kids because that's what they should do. Offering your child encouragement is not wrong or weak. 

Fans don't have to cheer or support Chris. He's a dang adult and has his own family. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

One more week (like a good chunk of people are implying) and we may miss out on other quality players becoming unavailable. Hoping that’s isn’t the case. Simmons and Sneed and I’m a VERY happy camper.

I don't think so with Ballard because he sparsely plays free agency and typically when he doesn't get a player he wants in FA, he looks for cuts other teams make or looks to the draft mostly. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

It seems like Frank's offense did just fine with Luck TY and Ebron.  Yes, Luck was a big part but those other two players were more dynamic than anything we've had since, IMO.  I understand the idea that "Frank" demanded physical receivers, but it seems that "his offense" did just fine when it had the proper players too.  

Overall, I'm just saying that giving CB a pass for trying after 7 years is starting to look like soccer moms cheering hard because their kid earning a Participation Trophy.

Oh  well, this is a bit OT.  Carry on.

Who wouldn’t do fine with Luck, TY and Ebron (catching 13 tuddys) ? 

my comment wasn’t about having proper players, it was about Ballard drafting and bringing receivers in that Frank preferred. Which was blatantly obvious last year when our new coach gets Josh Downs. Those types weren’t Ballard types, they were brought here for Frank… 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Drake Maye, why doesn't he get as much hype as Caleb or Jayden? Could he be the #3 QB taken and Jayden the 2nd one by the Commanders?

It is too risky to get to #3 assuming Jayden will be there. I would honestly trade to #5 with the Chargers and not give up a future No.1 pick, if I were the Vikings, #11 and #23 should get you to No.5 easily. Chargers need multiple stabs in Round 1 to replenish their roster. 

In this case, I guess they would have like Daniels and Maye...much more than the next tier. Prob would be happy with both.

I think LAC is going to draft Nabers, unless ARI does something silly and past on MHJ. I just don't see them moving off that pick. Some have Nabers over MHJ. 

Mike Will is gone and Allen is getting near the end of his career. Herbert is the franchise, so he's a young franchise WR. And Nabers is insta-offense. They have a new GM, so he probably doesn't care that they drafted Johnston.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

In this case, I guess they would have like Daniels and Maye...much more than the next tier. Prob would be happy with both.

I think LAC is going to draft Nabers, unless ARI does something silly and past on MHJ. I just don't see them moving off that pick. Some have Nabers over MHJ. 

Mike Will is gone and Allen is getting near the end of his career. Herbert is the franchise, so he's a young franchise WR. And Nabers is insta-offense. They have a new GM, so he probably doesn't care that they drafted Johnston.

Quentin Johnston, I am told, is another body catcher. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Not really when you think about it...

Parents are going to cheer for their kids because that's what they should do. Offering your child encouragement is not wrong or weak. 

Fans don't have to cheer or support Chris. He's a dang adult and has his own family. 

That's what I meant.  The media carrying Ballard's water seems to be based upon something other than results.  So it appears.  

Thanks for the comment.

Just now, DougDew said:

That's what I meant.  The media carrying Ballard's water seems to be based upon something other than results.  So it appears.  

Thanks for the comment.

Yeah I'm all for being critical of him. 

I'm a fairly patient fan, but he's definitely down to his last thread with the current coaching and QB combo. I respect that his conviction for his perceived correct process is so strong and frankly unbreakable. I just don't think it's the correct philosophy on how to build a modern NFL team. 

I'd say most of us feel he's a good GM. He's not the best, but not the worst either. Right in the middle. He shows loyalty and open mindedness to his players that he drafts by rewarding them with contracts. He works through problems and doesn't seem to get rattled very often. He has all the intangibles to be a fantastic GM. It's just his focus on certain positions that is rubbing a lot of us the wrong way. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

my comment wasn’t about having proper players, it was about Ballard drafting and bringing receivers in that Frank preferred. Which was blatantly obvious last year when our new coach gets Josh Downs. Those types weren’t Ballard types, they were brought here for Frank… 

Every player brought to the Colts were Ballard types.  Both Parris and Ebron were brought here post Reich hiring and don't fit the description of what frank supposedly wants.  As well as the Cain's and Fountain's.   Really, only pre-Pittman Funchess, Pittman, and now AP fit that narrative in 6 offseasons.  The TE's don't fit the physical TE narrative either.

Agreed, SS will have some different bent towards personnel.  But I look at it as him teaching Ballard what's important, rather than telling him who to pick.

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

They traded Allen last night to Chicago for a 4th round pick, which only strengthens your point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am losing hope the secondary is going to be fixed. Right now without Blackmon the secondary is even weaker.

For the love of all that Holy…

In other words, Dear God

We are less than 48 hours into the new league year.  There is still a wee bit of time to add to the position group. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

In other words, Dear God

We are less than 48 hours into the new league year.  There is still a wee bit of time to add to the position group. 

no kidding

9 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

In other words, Dear God

You guys say this every year. Nothing happens. You are all like just edit it just started. Nothing happenes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

I don't feel like I see this very often until the actual draft.  Definitely interesting.

@NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai

Definitely surprising.

Not sure what Minnesota is trying to do.

Are Vikings trying to move up with these two 1st round picks for a QB?

Reports were out that Vikings wanted to do similar trade last year to draft Richardson and they couldn't make it.

So, it looks like they are targeting specific top QBs in this draft and only way to do that is by gradually trading up like this Houston trade like Eagles did many years ago to draft Carson Wentz.

That's opposite of what SF did to trade up and get Trey Lance, by giving up first round draft picks in each of 3 consecutive years. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Definitely surprising.

Reports were out that Vikings wanted to do similar trade last year to draft Richardson and they couldn't make it.

So, it looks like they are targeting specific top QBs in this draft and only way to do that is by gradually trading up like this Houston trade like Eagles did many years ago to draft Carson Wentz.

That's opposite of what SF did to trade up and get Trey Lance, by giving up first round draft picks in each of 3 consecutive years. 

I would say yes. Looks like they are attempting what bills did and moving up multiple times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

But PC was the first early draft pick investment they made at WR though. And he was on the roster through 2022. And then they drafted Downs to replace him last year. 

Outside of that, they were looking for an X WR until they found MPJ. 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You guys say this every year. Nothing happens. You are all like just edit it just started. Nothing happenes.

Yep. 0-7 going on 0-8. It's just trolly behavior at this point to white knight for Ballard. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Definitely surprising.

Maybe they would like to get it done with our 1st for Jefferson.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A 31 year old safety in Diggs  won’t be the answer either. If I was Blackmon I would refuse to come back because at this point it seems they don’t want him.

I'm assuming Blackmon is wanting more than the current market is offering. We also could be waiting until the potential Sneed trade and sign is done or dead before making any other large moves.

A 31 year old safety in Diggs  won’t be the answer either. If I was Blackmon I would refuse to come back because at this point it seems they don’t want him.

The problem with Diggs is that he'll take time away from the young CBs and he's average. Really no upside to signing him. I'd rather get Sneed or draft a CB in all honesty. We are in a hole now with the secondary, and it's dependent on getting a trade done with KC where there could be multiple suitors potentially. 

I guess we could draft a CB and S, but we only have 7 draft picks currently and I'm assuming very few Safeties in this draft can start right away, we'd probably have to use 2 of our first 4 picks on a CB and S if we want possible starters.

Just now, Yoshinator said:

The problem with Diggs is that he'll take time away from the young CBs and he's average. Really no upside to signing him. I'd rather get Sneed or draft a CB in all honesty. We are in a hole now with the secondary, and it's dependent on getting a trade done with KC where there could be multiple suitors potentially. 

I guess we could draft a CB and S, but we only have 7 draft picks currently and I'm assuming very few Safeties in this draft can start right away, we'd probably have to use 2 of our first 4 picks on a CB and S if we want possible starters.

Diggs is a safety.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IndyEV said:

The holes on this team Ballard just keeps making bigger and bigger! 
Wile E Coyote No GIF by Looney Tunes

Really?  How did re-signing Stewart, Moore, Pittman, Franklin, etc make the holes on this team bigger and bigger?  

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I disagree. Winning the right way and having a pool of star players that have integrity matter more… Would rather cheer for good guys that might not be as successful as we’d like than to have a roster full a character issues that win more… 

Sadly, winning literally is all that matters to a lot of people.

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

the way I interpreted that tweet was sneed doesn’t necessarily want to sign a contract after being traded.  If money is the issue then once again, we need to move on.  But idk, we’ve waited this long and now are kind of stuck.

yeah you definitely misinterpreted it.  I don't think any player ever has preferred to play on the tag rather than a long-term contract.  The only way I could see Sneed refusing to a contract is if it's with a team he doesn't want to play for.  But I would have to think if that were the problem in regards to the Colts, it would have been known long before now. :)

Yay Chicken Little is back :violin:

• Like 1

Diggs is a safety.

My apologies, for some reason I was under the impression he was a CB. I'm slightly more in favor of signing him as a S then because of the weak draft class of Safeties.

• Like 1

I am just tired of relying on young late round draft picks in the secondary. 

So am I. We don't have a high hit rate with them. I would be perfectly fine with drafting a CB in the first round. Give me Mitchell or Arnold. Unfortunately, there's no elite S off first glance in this class. A lot of mid-round guys that could turn into something.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There are 2 types of answers in this type of situation.  Short term answers and long term answers.  No, Diggs wouldn't be a long term answer but he could definitely be a short term answer.