Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if I would call three starting caliber corners plus maybe the best slot corner in the NFL thin.  That’s actually pretty deep.  Still I am not against trading for Sneed depending on the price.

Well, that may be generous.  Yes, they all started but the book is still out on Brents and Flowers.  They could be good but I'd still like to have someone with experience besides Kenny, lined up with one of them.  And their injury histories is concerning.

You saw how teams started figuring out Jones at the end of the season.  To be fair, he's a late round pick and did a good job.  I just don't know if we saw his best or he'll continue to grow.  Like you said earlier, you can only get experience by playing.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

... again... the resource allocation. 

You don’t even know what the Colts might spend on Dillon, but you’re already complaining.   It’s become par for the course.    

I’ve seen you $14m for a backup Nose Tackle comment.   You’re determined to prove you don’t get it.   Carry on. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Im trying to convince you that your expectations are completley unrealistic more than anything. Did you really expect him to overhaul the entire secomdary and receiving corps? How was he gonna do that?

Speaking for myself only, I held out hope that Ballard would see the need to direct resources toward the weaker areas of the team. Him doubling down on other areas is disappointing.

On offense, I want some OL depth and an improvement at WR. I wasn't expecting any fireworks in FA.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t even know what the Colts might spend on Dillon, but you’re already complaining.   It’s become par for the course.    

Yes. I said already - if it turns out to be a vet min or thereabout, I might change my tune. But AJ Dillon IMO doesn't have that profile of a player who gets vet min. And again - if I turn out to be wrong - I would gladly take back my objection. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve seen you $14m for a backup Nose Tackle comment.   You’re determined to prove you don’t get it.   Carry on. 

We've already established that we view that signing very differently, so yeah... lets move on... 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not just what he didn't do. It's what he is actively doing. He continues to emphasize the trenches... and in the most run-focused way possible. Extended Franklin who is strictly a run-defender, instead of going for someone like... Frankie Luvu for example, who got a similar contract and is much better player than Franklin and better in all the ways that would have helped our pass defense - incredible coverage linebacker, one of the best in the league, great blitzer(pass-disruption again). Instead of goinf for some of the DLinemen who are more pass-rush oriented, he re-signed Grover(run stuffer) and signed a 7M backup for him(another run stuffer). We still haven't made any addition to the secondary and it seems like we are losing Blackmon(still not officially confirmed, but people are saying he's scrubbed everything Colts related from his social media) who was one of the better coverage players for us last year. 

So yeah... I really don't see how he could have done anything worse for our pass-defense... maybe if we let Kenny go too. But then it would have been unmitigated disaster. 

Ok. So youre mad he didnt sign Luvu. But I dont think Luvu would even be a Franklin replacement, he would more likely replace EJ Speed in our scheme and we just invested in Speed. So again, I see that as unrealistic. And man, we dont blitz so I think its a complete waste to think they are gonna invest in a guy who blitzes all the time in a completely different scheme and philosophy. 

I dont think Gus Bradley would even view Luvu as a fit. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That Davis contract is not as it appears. It’s only like 5 million this year and they have the option for 9 million year two if he proves his worth. Don’t look at the 14 million.

It's 5M for year one with 2.5M dead money if we cut him for year 2... so yeah... it's pretty much 7.5M for 1 year. If you cut him after year one you only save 6.5M, not 9. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I don't expect (or want really) Ballard to make the big splashes in FA. I do want him to make the medium splashes.

Ballard basically only uses FA for 1-2 year JAGs he hopes can fill the holes he can't fill in the draft. It's not working for us or anyone else. You NEED to plugs holes with reliable talent. Unless you never miss in the draft, solely using that to add talent isn't enough. No succesful team does what Ballard does.

Look at what the Chiefs are doing, the Ravens, the Bengals. They add talent in FA to supplement their draft hits. Sure, they are further along than us, but when Ballard has a tendency to draft raw, traitsy guys who need 2-4 years of development we're never going to get there, because if one is a miss we're once again behind those 2-4 years a new guy will take to develop. He needs to use FA to add talent when he misses.

In a nutshell, this is indeed why we have so many weak spots.

If we win more than 7 games this season it will be because we win the turnover/penalty battles. And the coaching. Not because of talent.

We have been poor at developing his and Dodds "winners". So unless someone else influences our draft selections, we are stuck with mediocrity.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dolphins-release-xavien-howard

Dolphins release Xavien Howard

Cornerback Xavien Howard is officially free to sign with another team.

The Dolphins announced Howard’s release shortly after the 2024 league year began at 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday. The move was expected, but the Dolphins waited to make it in order to make Howard a post-June 1 cut and clear $18.5 million in cap space come that date.

3 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Ok. So youre mad he didnt sign Luvu. But I dont think Luvu would even be a Franklin replacement, he would more likely replace EJ Speed in our scheme and we just invested in Speed. So again, I see that as unrealistic. And man, we dont blitz so I think its a complete waste to think they are gonna invest in a guy who blitzes all the time in a completely different scheme and philosophy. 

I dont think Gus Bradley would even view Luvu as a fit. 

We don't blitz a lot... but when we blitz we need that blitz to be super effective. We didn't blitz a ton in Shaq Leonard's better days either... but when he blitzed it was impactful. Luvu has similar playmaking ability. And again... it's not just Luvu. If I said another player(Patrick Queen, Azeez Al-Shaair, Drue Tranquill), people would still find reasons why we shouldn't have singed them. Yes... there is no absolute perfect fit that will hit every single requirement and be super good and super cheap and super available. If we want to find reasons to not sign players we will find them. My point is... Ballard is making the focus of this off-season the same thing that he's been focusing on since forever and he continues to ignore the areas of the team that need most help.  

• Like 1

Cleveland's blitzing worked so well in the playoffs against Houston. How do people think the Colts young corners would have held up blitzing more?  Defo recently said in an interview that Gus couldn't run as much of the defense that he would have liked due to the inexperience in the secondary.  

Just now, runthepost said:

Texans might get Armstead too :Cry:

The Texans are doing what any team with a young talented QB should be doing, stacking the roster and using the cheap QB window to try to create a contention window. Good for them... 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Cleveland's blitzing worked so well in the playoffs against Houston. How do people think the Colts young corners would have held up blitzing more?  Defo recently said in an interview that Gus couldn't run as much of the defense that he would have liked due to the inexperience in the secondary.  

Gus history says otherwise 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Right...... I dont get it. They want us to blitz guys whomwerent brought in to play a blitzing scheme, just for the sake of blitzing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yoshinator said:

I'm going to say Tannehill. He'll come to a division rival in the Colts for cheap to try and prove himself.

Yeah he wouldn’t be bad to help mentor AR either 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

The Texans are doing what any team with a young talented QB should be doing, stacking the roster and using the cheap QB window to try to create a contention window. Good for them... 

Hmmm, kinda what the Colts should be doing too then right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm going to say Tannehill. He'll come to a division rival in the Colts for cheap to try and prove himself.

What exactly is Tannehill going to prove at this point?

58 minutes ago, AKB said:

right so you want DE instead of DT, but we already invested in Paye, and Dayo. Also Ebukam. We don't have a top-tier pass rusher, but outside of hunter there really wasn't an option. 

Paye and Dayo were drafted three seasons ago. Both are heading into contract years, and like you said, neither of them are top tier pass rushers. I would have rather kept our powder dry and look to find a way to add a top tier pass rusher, whether now or in the future.

Same for a good coverage LB, or help in the secondary.

we also had a decent amount of sacks, rather people wanna find some convoluted way of discounting it or not

If you think we have a good enough pass rush to support a contention level defense, then it's just an area where we disagree on a fundamental level.