Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

With Zaire mentioning both Sneed and Diggs makes me think he knows we’re interested in both players.  Players talk to each other and have friendships so it’s possible he knows.  Sneed is public knowledge but not Diggs.  He’s lobbying for both I think.

I have no doubts about it.

Just close the deals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

With Zaire mentioning both Sneed and Diggs makes me think he knows we’re interested in both players.  Players talk to each other and have friendships so it’s possible he knows.  Sneed is public knowledge but not Diggs.  He’s lobbying for both I think.

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

He's been around for like 20 years. I know what Joe Flacco brings. An old QB who needs a clean pocket. Something the Colts have a very hard time providing. Before Cleveland acquired grabbed him in desperation nobody even wanted him. And sorry, this forum is not only for positive feelings and Colts cheerleaders,

Where's this "trouble keeping a clean pocket" coming from?  2022?

5 minutes ago, lester said:

We bought 10 acres just west of Hendricks County a few years ago. My oldest son had 2700 kids in his school in Indy. Only 400 here. We are never moving…

give it time and the schools there will be just as big… Everything around Indy is expanding outwards, just like every other city in the world. 

For your sake, I hope it’s long after your kids are out of school and right around the time you are ready to sell and retire off somewhere. That’ll be a nice cash out when the property values skyrocket like every other booming community has. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

There are other options if not them.

Sneed

Fuller

Howard

Jackson

Simmons

Diggs

Curl

Baker

Jackson 

Elliott 

Howard could interest Ballard if he thinks there is another year in him. Kind of like when he signed Rhodes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, legend300 said:

Hey @Superman or @w87r who’s contracts could be extended to make room for more money to sing Snead or other free agents if they decided to go that route? 

I put this in my other thread in December.

Trades/Cuts: (cap savings)

Mo Alie-Cox ($5.92m)

Potential Restructures/ Extensions:(2024 current cap hit)

Ryan Kelly:($14,625,000)

Current deal - 1yr $14.625m, $0 guaranteed 

New deal - 3yr $36m $22m guaranteed($12m AAV)

2024 - $10m guaranteed

2025 - $12m guaranteed

2026 - $14m non guaranteed 

2024 Savings - $4.625m

2024 Savings if Cut/Traded - $12.375m

2024 Dead Cap - $2.25m

Braden Smith:($16,683,000)

Current deal - 2yr $36.5m, $0 guaranteed 

New deal - 3yr $51m, $30m guaranteed($17m AAV)

2024 - $12m guaranteed 

2025 - $18m guaranteed 

2026 - $21m non guaranteed 

2024 Savings - $4.683m

2024 Savings if Cut/Traded - $10.6m-$13.6m

2024 Dead Cap - $3m-$6m

Deforest Buckner:($22,750,000)

Current deal - 1yr $22.75m, $0 guaranteed 

New deal - 3yr $60m, $37.5m guaranteed

2024 - $17.5m guaranteed

2025 - $20m guaranteed

2026 - $22.5m non guaranteed 

2024 Savings - $5.25m

2024 Savings if Cut/Traded - $20.25m

2024 Dead Cap - $2.5m

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, legend300 said:

Hey @Superman or @w87r who’s contracts could be extended to make room for more money to sing Snead or other free agents if they decided to go that route? 

Nelson, Buckner, Braden’s, Kelly’s to start with. They can cut Cox too for 6 mil

• Like 1

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

He’s arguing and complaining for the sake of it. This isn’t the Frank Reich 2022 Colts that he lost in the locker room. 2022 vs 2023 was a night and day difference with the Oline. 

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Both AR and Minchew were always rolling out or scrambling last year. At least GM could move a little.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nelson, Buckner, Braden’s, Kelly’s to start with. They can cut Cox too for 6 mil

Yeah we can save about $10m in cap space on Nelson, but it makes his 25 + 26 cap hits really high.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s in the cap space thread that’s pinned on the main page

Its not pinned.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

I put this in my other thread in December.

Trades/Cuts: (cap savings)

Mo Alie-Cox ($5.92m)

Potential Restructures/ Extensions:(2024 current cap hit)

Ryan Kelly:($14,625,000)

Current deal - 1yr $14.625m, $0 guaranteed 

New deal - 3yr $36m $22m guaranteed($12m AAV)

2024 - $10m guaranteed

2025 - $12m guaranteed

2026 - $14m non guaranteed 

2024 Savings - $4.625m

2024 Savings if Cut/Traded - $12.375m

2024 Dead Cap - $2.25m

Braden Smith:($16,683,000)

Current deal - 2yr $36.5m, $0 guaranteed 

New deal - 3yr $51m, $30m guaranteed($17m AAV)

2024 - $12m guaranteed 

2025 - $18m guaranteed 

2026 - $21m non guaranteed 

2024 Savings - $4.683m

2024 Savings if Cut/Traded - $10.6m-$13.6m

2024 Dead Cap - $3m-$6m

Deforest Buckner:($22,750,000)

Current deal - 1yr $22.75m, $0 guaranteed 

New deal - 3yr $60m, $37.5m guaranteed

2024 - $17.5m guaranteed

2025 - $20m guaranteed

2026 - $22.5m non guaranteed 

2024 Savings - $5.25m

2024 Savings if Cut/Traded - $20.25m

2024 Dead Cap - $2.5m

Extending Buckner and cutting MAC should be plenty.  If you have to re-structure Smith or Nelson so be it.  I don't want to pay any center 12-14 million especially one that Kelly's age.  I wouldn't commit to that just now.  See how he plays this year.  They should be looking for a long-term replacement.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, legend300 said:

Nelson, Buckner, Kelly, Smith, all could be restructured/extended to make cap space. I would only touch Nelson or Buckner. The Colts likely won't touch any of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Could this effect him sliding?

So Bowers doesn’t work out at the combine for personal reasons and now he won’t workout at his pro day for a hamstring injury.

is it just me or does this seem like a huge red flag

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Extending Buckner and cutting MAC should be plenty.  If you have to re-structure Smith or Nelson so be it.  I don't want to pay any center 12-14 million especially one that Kelly's age.  I wouldn't commit to that just now.  See how he plays this year.  They should be looking for a long-term replacement.  

Yeah, I was just presenting potential options to free up money.

Probably could even save another $5m on Buckner's of we wanted to kick a little more down the road

And yeah, none of these is a rush, just as and if needed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

So Bowers doesn’t work out at the combine for personal reasons and now he won’t workout at his pro day for a hamstring injury.

He's just trying to assist in the fall to #15

• Thanks 3

Just now, Zoltan said:

🚩 

yes, and for that reason (in my best Howie Mandel impression)… I’m out… Episode 15 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

Yes and no. I’m sure he’ll have some type of private workout. 

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It's just you.  :lol:

Just you, any injury is worth millions to them.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You realize those are designed for AR. Minshew had a habit of freaking out when there was no pressure.

Look. I get most here are happy with the Flacco signing. I am not. He is 40 years old and immobile.

We will be facing many of the leagues top DE/Edge rushers. Our line did ok at times. and they stunk at times. Remember Raiman getting bullrushed over. or the countless times Blake Freeland looked like the human turnstile. We still have assignment trouble with stunts, blitzes etc.

Our offense, with the current line, needs a QB that can move.

It's pointless for me to keep trying to defend my opinion, since the entire forum is enamored with Joe.

So I'm done. We will just have to wait and see.

Perhaps Joe will be outstanding? Or perhaps, after this stint with the Colts, he will be joining Matt Ryan, in the press box, come 2025?

2 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yes and no. I’m sure he’ll have some type of private workout. 

I saw he and another player who is also hurt are having one in April.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Look. I get most here are happy with the Flacco signing. I am not. He is 40 years old and immobile.

We will be facing many of the leagues top DE/Edge rushers. Our line did ok at times. and they stunk at times. Remember Raiman getting bullrushed over. or the countless times Blake Freeland looked like the human turnstile. We still have assignment trouble with stunts, blitzes etc.

It's pointless for me to keep trying to defend my opinion, since the entire forum is enamored with Joe.

Perhaps Joe will be outstanding? Or perhaps, after this stint with the Colts, he will be joining Matt Ryan, in the press box, come 2025?

Or perhaps he won’t play and just mentor Richardson which is the main goal of this signing.

57 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Old guy that owns the woods next to us comes over from time to time to play poker with us, even mows our field for us, for free. Great guy which if you knew who his great uncle was, you’d be shocked

Let me guess.   John Dillinger.

1 hour ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Nice! not concerned about the $$, until the real breakdown of the deal is revealed, sure its not straight dollar amount.

We know it's at least just under 5 mill as that much is guaranteed .

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nelson, Buckner, Kelly, Smith, all could be restructured/extended to make cap space. I would only touch Nelson or Buckner. The Colts likely won't touch any of them. 

Definitely Buckner.

Nelson would take some thinking for me. Here was my draw up of what it could look like 

Quentin Nelson:($25,500,000)

Current deal - 3yrs $72,163,059, $37.6m guaranteed/ or paid out 

Current Cap Hits:

2024 - $25.5m guaranteed

2025 - $22.8m, $12.4m dead cap, no new cash guarantee (new cash $16,563,059)

2026 - $24.2m, $6.2m dead cap, no new cash guarantee (new cash $18,000,000)

Take 2024 base salary of $19m down to $1.125m(vet minimum) that leaves $17.875m to divide equally over the rest of the contract. So (3) years.

$5,952,333 each year 

New cap hits:

2024 - $13.7m guaranteed

2025 - $28.75m guaranteed

2026 - $30.1m $12m dead cap.

Saved almost $12m this year

Something along those lines.

Those are some rough years in 25+26.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

They don't have a lot of stuff updated yet.

I've been keeping tabs of what I think the cap is sitting at.

Yo comprendo. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I saw he and another player who is also hurt are having one in April.

Or perhaps he won’t play and just mentor Richardson which is the main goal of this signing.

How do you know the goal of the signing was for Flacco to mainly be a mentor? Every team needs a backup QB. It's obvious he was brought in to play if needed. If he can provide some help in the QB room thats fine. But they didnt pay Joe 9million to be a coach. They have plenty of coaches for that. Perhaps Flacco isnt even the type of QB who helps along the younger QBs? Maybe he keeps to himself? and just earns his pay on the field?

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I’m okay with Flacco. Not because of what will happen if he needs to play. If he has to play, we’re screwed. 

however, I like the Flacco signing for three reasons:

number 1: no Justin fields trade. Thank freaking God. Fields is a bust, has always been a bust. And would create an unbelievable uncomfortable QB room. 

number 2: his long history in the league means he knows how to avoiding injury and keeping his body in a condition to keep playing. Something AR has to learn.

number 3: Flacco has won a lot in the league over the years. He’s seen a ton of different defenses including a couple of the best ever that the Ravens had. He can help mentor ARs field awareness, hopefully. 

but yea, if he has to play, yikes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

How do you know the goal of the signing was for Flacco to mainly be a mentor? Every team needs a backup QB. It's obvious he was brought in to play if needed. If he can provide some help in the QB room thats fine. But they didnt pay Joe 9million to be a coach. They have plenty of coaches for that. Perhaps Flacco isnt even the type of QB who helps along the younger QBs? Maybe he keeps to himself? and just earns his pay on the field?

Because Richardson is the starter…

There is no other logical reason to sign him.  Also do you really think Ballard didn’t factor all that in before signing him?  This isn’t rocket science.

Just now, csmopar said:

I’m okay with Flacco. Not because of what will happen if he needs to play. If he has to play, we’re screwed. 

however, I like the Flacco signing for three reasons:

number 1: no Justin fields trade. Thank freaking God. Fields is a bust, has always been a bust. And would create an unbelievable uncomfortable QB room. 

number 2: his long history in the league means he knows how to avoiding injury and keeping his body in a condition to keep playing. Something AR has to learn.

number 3: Flacco has won a lot in the league over the years. He’s seen a ton of different defenses including a couple of the best ever that the Ravens had. He can help mentor ARs field awareness, hopefully. 

but yea, if he has to play, yikes. 

It's almost a certainty he will play. The odds of any QB making it through 17 games is very slim. Especially AR who is reckless and appears to injure easily 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because Richardson is the starter…

There is no other logical reason to sign him.  Also do you really think Ballard didn’t factor all that in before signing him?  This isn’t rocket science.

Yeah, I’m really failing to see the disconnect here and why he’s so upset about Flacco signing to be the BACKUP. 

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

It's almost a certainty he will play. The odds of any QB making it through 17 games is very slim. Especially AR who is reckless and appears to injure easily 

Yeah

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Definitely Buckner.

Nelson would take some thinking for me. Here was my draw up of what it could look like 

Quentin Nelson:($25,500,000)

Current deal - 3yrs $72,163,059, $37.6m guaranteed/ or paid out 

Current Cap Hits:

2024 - $25.5m guaranteed

2025 - $22.8m, $12.4m dead cap, no new cash guarantee (new cash $16,563,059)

2026 - $24.2m, $6.2m dead cap, no new cash guarantee (new cash $18,000,000)

Take 2024 base salary of $19m down to $1.125m(vet minimum) that leaves $17.875m to divide equally over the rest of the contract. So (3) years.

$5,952,333 each year 

New cap hits:

2024 - $13.7m guaranteed

2025 - $28.75m guaranteed

2026 - $30.1m $12m dead cap.

Saved almost $12m this year

Something along those lines.

Those are some rough years in 25+26.

I think it's been years since the Colts kicked the salary cap can down the road ? I think if they were to % gears now , Smith would be the most likely .