Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

That’s just what he said. Take it for what it is. 

I got ya. He could be right, but I highly doubt it.

None of his contract was guaranteed for this year, so they're not going to just jump over this year's contract and have the guaranteed money kick in next year.

He might make the same, more than likely $3-$4m more this season, however this season will turn all guaranteed and be part of the deal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

They care about getting big money at this time, that's all...

If Colts are ready to give out the deals, most FAs will come to Indy.

That's how it works. Especially now, money talks louder.

Jacksonville used to be such small market, then they built a strong defense around 2017, went to AFC championship, then got Trevor Lawrence, but more importantly they are shelling out Contracts to FAs left and right, so many free agents more go there...

It's usually money, good QB and team, and a GM who's not afraid to bring anyone he wants for big sum. 

I was kidding of course...Ha!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I believe there is no pay bump this year.

I believe the extension and pay starts after this season..

I might be wrong.

If there's a signing bonus, it automatically impacts the 2024 cap. The details should make things clear, but most likely, his 2024 cap number will change.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I’m not a Gus fan either. But it is what it is at this point. Truth be told Ballard’s a fan of the Bradley defensive scheme, so even if Gus were to leave we’d still have a similar defense. 

For all the things Ballard puts himself in a Corner (sticking to a defensive scheme unusually for a GM, sticking to bringing players on certain defined criteria, sticking to same DC even after HC change - another unusual, sticking to same formula every Free Agency, Draft and Off-season, Sticking to QB carousel for too long), he better be right about most of these beliefs. 

Otherwise, he'd look so stupid in the end and would have Colts behind by a decade. 

When I stand back from it and look, it seems to me that Ballard is doing the opposite of what he did five years ago.  One of his biggest blunders.  Maybe not THE biggest, but probably the one with the longest lasting repercussions.  Back then, he chose not to pay the competitive salaries of his players on the market, instead allowing them to leave and attempting to draft their replacements.  So -- out with Denico Autry and Justin Houston, and in with Kimoko Turay and Ben Banogu.  It was a disaster.

Today?  He's signing his own.  Even if his own aren't the most tippy-top talent in the league.  A player in the hand is worth two in the bush.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If there's a signing bonus, it automatically impacts the 2024 cap. The details should make things clear, but most likely, his 2024 cap number will change.

I thought that is usually how it is as well.

Just saw reports yesterday that it wouldn’t effect the cap for 2024.

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

Most likely you are. Lol. Edit: that sounded harsh, but yeah, most likely you are. Lol.

He will probably get about $3-$4m extra against the cap this season.

Well I’m def no salary cap expert. Just going off of yesterdays reports lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

I thought that is usually how it is as well.

Just saw reports yesterday that it wouldn’t effect the cap for 2024.

Well I’m def no salary cap expert. Just going off of yesterdays reports lol

Sorry that sounded harsh. 

18 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

en a vacuum hunter bc he can produce independently of gus but if gus were to get out of his box sneed would open up more possibilities to help the whole unit, but that just involves gus trusting players to do their job which his schemes inherently flow against since the purpose is to protect them from themselves … i hate gus bradley 

gus is holding the colts back and it’s infuriating 

Yep, the Chiefs have 2 head coaching caliber guys coaching for them but the current times are biased against aging DCs unlike when the Patriots had their dynasty where Romeo Crennel got HC offers. Lou Anurumo lost to Jonathan Gannon, that plays well for the Chiefs and Spags.

They also have interchangeable guys in their secondary, which ours might have too but we will never know.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

When I stand back from it and look, it seems to me that Ballard is doing the opposite of what he did five years ago.  One of his biggest blunders.  Maybe not THE biggest, but probably the one with the longest lasting repercussions.  Back then, he chose not to pay the competitive salaries of his players on the market, instead allowing them to leave and attempting to draft their replacements.  So -- out with Denico Autry and Justin Houston, and in with Kimoko Turay and Ben Banogu.  It was a disaster.

Today?  He's signing his own.  Even if his own aren't the most tippy-top talent in the league.  A player in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Ballard did it one time.   It was the same time that Covid hit and the salary cap actually went down instead of up.  And he cut two guys over 30.   All 32 teams got screwed that year.  

If the upset fans were made GMs they likely would’ve done the same thing.  That year was an exception to the rule year due to Covid.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

They care about getting big money at this time, that's all...

If Colts are ready to give out the deals, most FAs will come to Indy.

That's how it works. Especially now, money talks louder.

Jacksonville used to be such small market, then they built a strong defense around 2017, went to AFC championship, then got Trevor Lawrence, but more importantly they are shelling out Contracts to FAs left and right, so many free agents more go there...

It's usually money, good QB and team, and a GM who's not afraid to bring anyone he wants for big sum. 

And yet they’ve won less than we have

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard did it one time.   It was the same time that Covid hit and the salary cap actually went down instead of up.  And he cut two guys over 30.   All 32 teams got screwed that year.  

If the upset fans were made GMs they likely would’ve done the same thing.  That year was an exception to the rule year due to Covid.  

Yup.  And it bit him.  Pretty badly.  Probably worse than the Wentz debacle.  It was a calculated risk that went bad, and required many seasons to rectify.  (There are some who would argue that it still isn't rectified.)

I'm glad he's doing something different this year.  Are players like Pittman and Moore the best at their position?  Ehhhh.  Probably not.  But their his guys.  This is the team.  This is the flavor.  These are the guys who are pillars of that team.  Keep 'em, and let it ride.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Don't know if true, as I don't do social media outside of looking for NFL news.

My son said that Julian Blackmon I un-followed the Colts?

Yeah it's true seen it earlier

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lester said:

My opinion: Ballard is doing what he can to keep the defense serviceable but affordable so he can draft foundational pieces on offense. He's not focusing on defense, he just wants it to work so the team can build around Anthony Richardson this year. It makes sense to me.

Makes sense until AR performs another called qb sweep and gets planted back on IR for the year. Hopefully they have a decent second stringer in mind.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And yet they’ve won less than we have

That was not the point of discussion there though...

Yes, agreed. Spending carelessly in FA like Jags do takes one nowhere as well.

And, just winning more doesn't matter as well... If a team wins and continuously competes for championship like Bills have been doing every year even though they fail every time, that's something to be proud about... The rest of us - Colts or Vikings - talking about having more wins than someone else with some botched up ideas of building teams, I don't see any point in that. It gets old, and doesn't make me any happier at all. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We have a backup up for Grover. A expensive one 

Our DT depth was abysmal behind Buckner/Stewart last year. Don't know nothing about this guy but hope he's good depth at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don't think we're getting Evan Anderson anymore :(

When the Colts address the LB coverage issue, both the DL and secondary will improve. 2023 season DL sets team record for sacks, but near the bottom of the league in pressures. When the LB's cant cover the middle of the field the quick hitters/check downs are wide open all day 5-15 yards downfield, and there is no time to get pressure. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Don't know if true, as I don't do social media outside of looking for NFL news.

My son said that Julian Blackmon I followed the Colts?

Someone else here earlier said too... But that may not be your son here :D

That's why talk here got more about Blackmon leaving, as there's no other formal reports about that.

Only clue so far is him unfollowing all things Colts (supposedly).

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Praise free agent Jesus the colts have signed a free agent may people calm down now.  With that said I like this signing.  While Buckner and Stewartt are maybe the best combo of DTs in the league they have NOTHING behind them.

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Someone else here earlier said too... But that may not be your son here :D

That's why talk here got more about Blackmon leaving, as there's no other formal reports about that.

Only clue so far is him unfollowing all things Colts (supposedly).

I've been pretty busy today so must have missed that discussion. 

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Interesting signing. We clearly needed depth at DT. But, with Buckner & Grover signed,  a lot invested there. Assume we are done making moves on the DLINE now. 

Im fine with it.  Whatever we have to do to sure up the trenches on both sides of the ball, I’m for it.

• Like 1