Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

16 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

There is something to be said about letting your team grow together. I’m watching a lot of turnover right now in the league, and every year people think and say team X had the best offseason because of the heavy hitters they brought in… rarely does it translate that way.

...and this is what Ballard has been preaching.

• Like 3

This won't be popular, but that’s ok.   

But I don’t want Sneed at all.  Not any part.  

The Colts would have to give up a day 2 pick, plus a contract that would range from 4/70 at the low end to roughly 5/90 at the high end.   For a corner in a mostly zone defense?    Makes no sense to me.  

Corners next season:   Brents, Moore, Flowers, Jones,  2024 draft pick, 2024 FA vet signing.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts would have to give up a day 2 pick, plus a contract that would range from 4/70 at the low end to roughly 5/90 at the high end.   For a corner in a mostly zone defense?    Makes no sense to me.  

Corners next season:   Brents, Moore, Flowers, Jones,  2024 draft pick, 2024 FA vet signing.  

I think bringing Snead in would give us an upgrade at the position and someone that would help with the development of Brents and Jones with his experience. Snead, Brents, and Moore as starting CBs with Flowers and Jones backing them up is a pretty good room IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a fair opinion. After signing Kenny Moore, we have a lot more flexibility now at the CB position in who we sign. I think we can just draft a CB in the first 3 rounds of the draft and be ok. Lots of young kids that will grow. We should be fine.

3 minutes ago, KB said:

I think bringing Snead in would give us an upgrade at the position and someone that would help with the development of Brents and Jones with his experience. Snead, Brents, and Moore as starting CBs with Flowers and Jones backing them up is a pretty good room IMO.

Im not saying Sneed isn’t a good player, he clearly is.   But part of the value of playing a zone defense is that you’re not supposed to need a premium secondary (read very expensive).   So he may be very good, but he’s very, very expensive, and to me not worth it.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KB said:

Sneed would have a contract that would likely not expire until they become free agents. Development wouldn’t matter much at that point. 

With Kenny re-signing, I don’t see any way we trade for Sneed.

Fuller, Nelson, Gilmore, etc on a 1 year deal might make the most sense now to mentor the young guys. 

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ballard really likes his team and his players. Lets hope this is not one of those "do the same thing over and over again and expect different results" things... 

Yea. Thank God that hasn't been happening for the last 6 years. Glad the Colts see that changing it up now and then and is a good thing. 

:peek:

29 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I love paying our guys,  but I don't see how that makes the team better.   Hopefully AR stays healthy and we make big strides going forward 

Exactly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

This is a fair opinion. After signing Kenny Moore, we have a lot more flexibility now at the CB position in who we sign. I think we can just draft a CB in the first 3 rounds of the draft and be ok. Lots of young kids that will grow. We should be fine.

FWIW:  I’m not sure Ballard will find a CB in this class.   There are not many with 32 inch arms.  It’s the opposite to last year’s class when almost everyone had those super long arms.    So I don’t know how CB will respond.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that has already been done.  Just waiting on Ballard to pull the trigger.

You are forever hopeful.   Lol

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jeremy Chinn is a pretty versatile player that could take Blackmon place. Probably wouldn’t cost much. Then go sign sneed. 

Have to trade for snead

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jeremy Chinn is a pretty versatile player that could take Blackmon place. Probably wouldn’t cost much. Then go sign sneed. 

The dream would be to sign both Blackmon & Gardner Johnson 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:  I’m not sure Ballard will find a CB in this class.   There are not many with 32 inch arms.  It’s the opposite to last year’s class when almost everyone had those super long arms.    So I don’t know how CB will respond.  

It’d have to be Melton IMHO, but I’m not sure we’ll be able to get to the CB need that early in the draft…

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Cam Hart is my personal Ballard draft crush. He has 32 5/8 inch arms. We would have to take him on day 2 now IMO. Possibly round 2. We'll see on draftday what Ballard does. Maybe we get another CB in FA before then.

• Like 2

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Cam Hart is my personal Ballard draft crush. He has 32 5/8 inch arms. We would have to take him on day 2 now IMO. Possibly round 2. We'll see on draftday what Ballard does. Maybe we get another CB in FA before then.

You think Cam will go that high? 

I like him too, but I’m a sucker for Notre dame players, so it’s not exactly an objective thought process for me as it may be for you. 

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

You think Cam will go that high? 

I like him too, but I’m a sucker for Notre dame players, so it’s not exactly an objective thought process for me as it may be for you. 

Yeah. From what I've heard he's a day 2 guy now. He started out in the round 4 range, but he has risen. I think he'll ultimately settle as a late round 2/early round 3 guy. I believe his combine was really good, and his athletic traits and measurements are really solid too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Looks like we are down to about 36 mil. After signing all our own guys.

That's what I see and subtract 9 mill for rookies and another 4 million for reserves and we're down to around 23 mill left. Could jump up to 29 depending on whether or not Cox is retained for the 5.9 mill he's due. So we are not done and should improve the roster a bit before the April draft.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Does that include 8 - 10 mil for draftees?

It won’t lower the cap anywhere near that amount. Only the first three picks will affect the cap. The rest of the draft will be offset by players already being accounted for toward the salary cap.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was right about Pittman and Moore

and it makes sense according to what Ballard has been saying.  Our CB room is very YOUNG and blamed himself for it.  Figured we’d be looking for vet talent to fill it out.  

DE also.  As I said above, we were ranked 30th hurries.  That could be schem (which I think plays a part) but also need someone opposite of Ebukam to cause havoc.

Just now, dw49 said:

That's what I see and subtract 9 mill for rookies and another 4 million for reserves and we're down to around 23 mill left. Could jump up to 29 depending on whether or not Cox is retained for the 5.9 mill he's due. So we are not done and should improve the roster a bit before the April draft.

Of course, we’d have to know the contracts’ specifics to know their year 1 impacts, right?  Not a great capologist, so I can never quite figure out what we have to work with…

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

We have Granson, Ogletree, Woods and Mallory. A lot of talking heads are saying we should draft Bowers.

I just don't get why they are still hanging onto Cox and his $5 mil contract?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

It won’t lower the cap anywhere near that amount. Only the first three picks will affect the cap. The rest of the draft will be offset by players already being accounted for toward the salary cap.

I’m not sure a lot of people understand the top 51 rule of the cap. I didnt before this year, and still don’t pay enough attention to the rules to fully understand. 

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/6/2/21278326/nfl-top-51-rule-explained-how-much-cap-space-will-it-really-cost-to-sign-the-falcons-draft-class

this is from 2020, so it may be a bit outdated depending on what changes may have been made, but it does a good job breaking down how the rookies for the falcons that year counted toward the cap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think you’re way too high on rookies.  Only the top 51 count towards the cap.  Our cap experts will let us know.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

We have Granson, Ogletree, Woods and Mallory. A lot of talking heads are saying we should draft Bowers.

I agree, but maybe we like that keeping him around a little longer further hides our 1st round intentions.  Is there any advantage to releasing him before the league year opens tomorrow?  Any advantage to doing it before the draft?

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

They like him.  I know fans don’t but they clearly do.  For the record I am not saying I am agreeing with them on liking him just answering why they are keeping him.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

They like him.  I know fans don’t but they clearly do.  For the record I am not saying I am agreeing with them on liking him just answering why they are keeping him.

I believe they like him because he's a veteran and our best blocking TE. I think he's overpaid, but I guess we're keeping him.

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

I agree, but maybe we like that keeping him around a little longer further hides our 1st round intentions.  Is there any advantage to releasing him before the league year opens tomorrow?  Any advantage to doing it before the draft?

Only advantage is for MAC to get the best team fit in FA he can get and the most money he can get, to do good by him.

Maybe Ballard is going after Danielle Hunter and Justin Simmons now?? Just a thought.

I am not getting my hopes up but both those will fit our D very well, Simmons with those long arms at free safety will be great. :) 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Right, which would mean, one of the others would have to get cut, and if they did draft a TE it would be two cuts.

Then Cox would be an unrestricted FA next year. Seems foolish to move forward with MAC to me