Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire new DL coach

This seems like a great hire on paper. I hope his coaching style translates well to the league, because he obviously knows how to coach young players. Great point by @Superman that this seems like a hire of the best guy they could possibly get, rather than him having some connection or friendship with any of our FO guys or the coaching staff. 

• Like 5

I have been big fan of Partridge for years.  As a miami hurricanes fan, he is someone the fans wanted to be hired as DL coach or possible DC for years.  

He did an outstanding job at Pitt identifying under the radar talent and developing them.  Kancey is a great recent example.  He went to Miami Northwestern HS and was lightly recruited by Miami (& the other florida schools) due to his size.  Pitt stole him, developed him, and he became a first round pick.

I love this hire.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

we definitely need a new Special teams coordinator 

I don’t think so. I think there was definitely mistakes and inconsistency, but they had some real shining moments too. In Ballard’s press conference, he blamed himself for not having the players that the special teams needed. But he also said he liked our punter and kicker, so he definitely meant the supporting cast on special teams, which he thinks will be much better next year. 

• Like 5

Sounds like we found a winner at D-line. And one that is a heck of a recruiter too. Perhaps killing two birds with one stone? A guy that can coach and develop the d-line while offering valuable input on prospective defensive lineman going forward? 

• Like 6

After reading a bit about this guy, I pose this question: 

could this be a move that signals Steichen’s preference in d. coordinator and defensive style? It sounds like Pittsburgh used an entire different approach on defense. One of the highest blitz percentages in college football. Partridge was co-defensive coordinator. 

or could it be Gus saying “beef up the secondary and we’ll be far more aggressive?”

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Sounds like we found a winner at D-line. And one that is a heck of a recruiter too. Perhaps killing two birds with one stone? A guy that can coach and develop the d-line while offering valuable input on prospective defensive lineman going forward? 

Yes, it cannot be overstated how valuable it's to have a coach, who is great at identifying talent and developing them to be very good players. 

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

After reading a bit about this guy, I pose this question: 

could this be a move that signals Steichen’s preference in d. coordinator and defensive style? It sounds like Pittsburgh used an entire different approach on defense. One of the highest blitz percentages in college football. Partridge was co-defensive coordinator. 

or could it be Gus saying “beef up the secondary and we’ll be far more aggressive?”

I think we'll see some influence on our scheme with the addition of Partridge, but not a huge overhaul.

Zach Hicks wrote a great piece about Partridge, his schematic preferences, and how he sees it being implemented in Gus' scheme:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-massive-hire-unleash-defensive-line-group

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, KB said:

Does this hire make it more likely that we look at guys like Chop Robinson or Adisa Issac in the draft. Isaac could be a lot a Leo.

I think we’d be looking at a DL in the second round or a trade up from third. I really think we’ll go offense in round one. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think we’d be looking at a DL in the second round or a trade up from third. I really think we’ll go offense in round one. 

I don't think they're set on offense or defense in the first. At 15 we're gonna get what we can get. We still might trade back from there too, which I really hope we don't unless it's for an offer we can't refuse.

2 hours ago, KB said:

Does this hire make it more likely that we look at guys like Chop Robinson or Adisa Issac in the draft. Isaac could be a lot a Leo.

I don’t believe so. This team already has young pass rushers who weren’t fully developed coming out of college in Paye and Dayo. Plus the production from Chop wasn’t very impressive in college. Indy needs a 3rd quality DT more than another DE. 

• Like 2

I think this says the Colts feel like they have enough talent on the DL and they believe Partridge is the guy to take them to the next level of their development.  Maybe someone they expected to go in the top 10 falls to them and they grab him, but I don’t expect a DE in the first rd of the draft.  However, the Colts are in a position to go BPA this year. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I think this says the Colts feel like they have enough talent on the DL and they believe Partridge is the guy to take them to the next level of their development.  Maybe someone they expected to go in the top 10 falls to them and they grab him, but I don’t expect a DE in the first rd of the draft.  However, the Colts are in a position to go BPA this year. 

I agree. I do think the Colts will bring in competition for Paye and depth behind Stewart. 

On 2/6/2024 at 10:28 AM, Shive said:

I think we'll see some influence on our scheme with the addition of Partridge, but not a huge overhaul.

Zach Hicks wrote a great piece about Partridge, his schematic preferences, and how he sees it being implemented in Gus' scheme:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-massive-hire-unleash-defensive-line-group

I read Zach’s piece. He has done a really nice job following the colts. 

The big question I’m asking I guess is if Partridge might have a future (sooner than later too) as the defensive coordinator for this franchise. Could it be Bradley’s last year? I don’t see that as an impossibility. I don’t think Partridge views this as a giant leap in jobs. He was co-defensive coordinator and could have undoubtedly been a true defensive coordinator of a larger program, based on everything I have read. I can’t imagine he couldn’t have jumped to the nfl at some point with his resume. Could this move signal the future of the Indianapolis Colts defense? 

I read it in an article, might have been Zach’s, that when Bradley got aggressive, he got really aggressive- specifically against the Browns when Watson went down. To me, it feels like the organization is going to focus on the secondary this offseason and give him the tools to be more aggressive. Perhaps he isn’t, and perhaps this is his last season here… 

29 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I read Zach’s piece. He has done a really nice job following the colts. 

The big question I’m asking I guess is if Partridge might have a future (sooner than later too) as the defensive coordinator for this franchise. Could it be Bradley’s last year? I don’t see that as an impossibility. I don’t think Partridge views this as a giant leap in jobs. He was co-defensive coordinator and could have undoubtedly been a true defensive coordinator of a larger program, based on everything I have read. I can’t imagine he couldn’t have jumped to the nfl at some point with his resume. Could this move signal the future of the Indianapolis Colts defense? 

I read it in an article, might have been Zach’s, that when Bradley got aggressive, he got really aggressive- specifically against the Browns when Watson went down. To me, it feels like the organization is going to focus on the secondary this offseason and give him the tools to be more aggressive. Perhaps he isn’t, and perhaps this is his last season here… 

I think some of us are seeing what we want to see in this hire... I don't think it says anything about draft prospects, nor do I see it as an indication of what the Colts might do with the DC position in the future. They probably just hired him because he's a really good DL coach. But I'll definitely give you your props if your theory plays out.

I don't have any inside info, but I read a story recently that included a quote from a college coach, and he said a lot of college coaches and personnel are trying to get on with an NFL team right now. I think his exact quote was 'everyone is trying to get to the league.' I think with the changing landscape of college football, some talented coaches see the NFL as a better environment for them right now. And that thought has been pretty prominent in my mind lately, especially as the Colts have hired some college coaches. There's probably a variety of factors, but this theory makes sense to me.

Here's an article from Joel Klatt giving his thoughts on the dynamic: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/joel-klatt-why-so-many-prominent-college-coaches-are-leaving-for-the-nfl 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Does anyone know where Pitts DL ranked against the rest of college football?

Sack numbers and pressures ?

Top 5 in D1 from 2019-present each year, with 3 and 4 star recruits. No 5 stars

recruits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

don't have any inside info, but I read a story recently that included a quote from a college coach, and he said a lot of college coaches and personnel are trying to get on with an NFL team right now. I think his exact quote was 'everyone is trying to get to the league.' I think with the changing landscape of college football, some talented coaches see the NFL as a better environment for them right now. And that thought has been pretty prominent in my mind lately, especially as the Colts have hired some college coaches. There's probably a variety of factors, but this theory makes sense to me.

I was coming on to write this very thing, but from a different source. 

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2024/02/05/vukovcan-pitt-screwed/#google_vignette

“The University of Pittsburgh realized this, and it was the reason that whenever other major programs such as Alabama, Miami, Florida (you get the point) tried to poach Partridge, Pitt came up with the necessary money and titles to keep him.

It’s not always about money and unfortunately, Pat Narduzzi and Pitt found that out today as Partridge decided to head to the Indianapolis Colts in the NFL.

From all the information that I’ve gathered, this move had nothing to do with finally making it at the NFL level, money or being unhappy at Pitt, Partridge just wanted to escape the cesspool of college football. It’s that simple.”

It reminds me of IU basketball fans thinking they were going to get Brad Stevens or Billy Donavan to leave the nba to come back to college ball. lol. Yeah right… Who in their right mind would do such a thing? Leave a coaching world of luxury to getting back on the road to recruit? 

who knows what kind of value some of these college coaches can bring. When they are used to grinding and driving all day and night to recruit, maybe honing in on the bigger picture can bring some brilliance out. I hope we found a gem in Partridge. 

• Like 2

@ColtStrong2013

Yup. Here's another story, with Jeff Hafley talking about why he left BC as the HC to be the DC for the Packers. Pretty much says he wanted to coach football, not be a fundraiser for NIL money. I'm not even an anti NIL guy, but I get it. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jeff-hafley-explains-why-nfl-coordinator-is-a-better-job-than-boston-college-head-coach

• Like 3