Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Draft Pick

compuls1v3

Colts 2024 Pick  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Colts do with their draft pick at 15?

• Trade it for a player?
    • Trade down in the draft for more picks?

6 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

What do you think Ballard does?

I think he’ll do what he did last year.   Trade down and collect more picks.  If he stays at 15 and makes a pick that tells me the player is ranked much higher on Ballard’s board than 15.   Much the same as when Ballard picked Paye at 21 when they had Paye ranked 10th.  

I do not see Ballard trading the pick for a player like he did with Buckner.  That player would likely command a salary of $20m+ per year.   I don’t see that happening. 

• Like 2

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

He’s going to shock everyone as he trades up and gets Marvin Harrison Junior. Time to break out number 88 again!

I don't see this happening.  

But I sure would like for it to.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard considers a trade for a WR1. Maybe AJ Brown if the Eagles decide to make moves after their collapse?

AJ, MPJ, and Downs would be nice. 

otherwise I’d expect WR, CB or DL in the first and second. Then maybe some Oline, LB, and safety depth after the 2nd. 

I could see a trade down if Bowers, Nabers, and Odunze are all gone. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’ll do what he did last year.   Trade down and collect more picks.  If he stays at 15 and makes a pick that tells me the player is ranked much higher on Ballard’s board than 15.   Much the same as when Ballard picked Paye at 21 when they had Paye ranked 10th.  

I do not see Ballard trading the pick for a player like he did with Buckner.  That player would likely command a salary of $20m+ per year.   I don’t see that happening. 

Last year he stayed put and took the qb.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, atapcl said:

Last year he stayed put and took the qb.

In R1, yes…. 

But then he traded down in the second round — twice.    Then he traded down in the 5th round, I think it was 4 times.    And he might have traded down one other time in the 6th or 7th round. 

This is what I’m thinking will happen again.  Trading down multiple times in multiple rounds.  

• Like 1

I would like to see Ballard stand pat at #15 this year. The Colts need impact players. Having one on a rookie contract is a big plus. If you consider that up to 5 quarterbacks may be selected before the Colts pick, the Colts may have the equivalent of 10th pick of non QB talent in the draft. Prime position to draft a day 1 starter and impact player.  As a fan, I love the extra picks, but the Colts have enough JAG's.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Stays and picks the BPA.

But what if the BPA is Jayden Daniels?

Then trade down, it’s simple. However I would not want to trade with any of the rival teams in the divisional round in the AFC, unless it’s a great offer. NFC, I’m fine.

If we do trade down to the 20s, I’d like to be before 25, and we have seen quality drop offs in the draft before there. 

To me, there’s a good chance a Top 10 player drops to No.15 than No.20 or higher. I’d like Ballard to get a quality player at No.15 and trade back in other rounds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Then trade down, it’s simple. However I would not want to trade with any of the rival teams in the divisional round in the AFC, unless it’s a great offer. NFC, I’m fine.

If we do trade down to the 20s, I’d like to be before 25, and we have seen quality drop offs in the draft before there. 

To me, there’s a good chance a Top 10 player drops to No.15 than No.20 or higher. I’d like Ballard to get a quality player at No.15 and trade back in other rounds.

I know, logically, we need a stud CB or edge rusher.   But I’m in the camp that says - give AR more weapons.  So if a top WR is available, I’d love to take him.

But we all know Ballard…

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I know, logically, we need a stud CB or edge rusher.   But I’m in the camp that says - give AR more weapons.  So if a top WR is available, I’d love to take him.

But we all know Ballard…

Well, he finally drafted a QB last year.  Maybe he will surprise us and get a top WR this year.

8 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Well, he finally drafted a QB last year.  Maybe he will surprise us and get a top WR this year.

He didn’t have a choice last year.  

The Ballard thing to do (and probably the right thing) would be to trade back and get a couple good players to improve the team.  

The “fan”thing to do would be to stay put or even trade up for a stud WR.

I’m a fan.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard considers a trade for a WR1. Maybe AJ Brown if the Eagles decide to make moves after their collapse?

AJ, MPJ, and Downs would be nice. 

otherwise I’d expect WR, CB or DL in the first and second. Then maybe some Oline, LB, and safety depth after the 2nd. 

I could see a trade down if Bowers, Nabers, and Odunze are all gone. 

That would be a great tandem

I dont see it though, not with the decent WR draft class this year

If he goes FA this year......  I hope its DE

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In R1, yes…. 

But then he traded down in the second round — twice.    Then he traded down in the 5th round, I think it was 4 times.    And he might have traded down one other time in the 6th or 7th round. 

This is what I’m thinking will happen again.  Trading down multiple times in multiple rounds.  

The question was specific to the 15th Pick.  He did not trade back with the first pick.  Subsequent rounds he was wheeling and dealing.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The question was specific to the 15th Pick.  He did not trade back with the first pick.  Subsequent rounds he was wheeling and dealing.  

Fine.   I think with the 15th pick, Ballard will trade back.  Maybe multiple times.  

Happy? 

The only reason Ballard would trade back would be if:

A) No teams are interested in trading with the Colts so the Colts can move into the 7-12 range. 

I still think the pick will be for a WR or Bowers if there is a severe run on QB's and Tackles, and if we can get into the range I mentioned. 

Although I want a WR1, I would be fine with Bowers as he is going to be a game changer at that position. I know most would say that we already have so many TE's. I agree. They are a plethora of "jag" guys though. Colts have eliminated one (Ogletree), now they need to dump Granson and Cox and Woods if he cannot get healthy. Keep Mallory and go after Bowers. Granson they might keep in case Bowers is unattainable. 

This team can ill afford to keep grabbing guys at premium positions that are projects in premium rounds or trading back to gain more picks from premium round slots. <This strategy, although habitual and normally predictable, has not worked.

To my bolded, my meaning here is that every off-season we sit here and need CB's, Edge Rushers, WR's, and Lineman who are PREMIUM STARTERS/TALENTED, not just guys forced to start, and every year Ballard has traded back and traded back again, and it has not brought Bonafide starter results. It has not worked. It's time to change that strategy.

At #15, we trade up, use that pick to acquire a player, or stay at 15. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In R1, yes…. 

I hope he keeps the 1st round pick and drafts a playmaker. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You could make a case for a player at any position fitting a need.  Including QB.

Barring a significant injury to AR , I would lay 50-1 that Ballard will not select a QB at 1.15. No ... make it 75-1 .

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

The only reason Ballard would trade back would be if:

A) No teams are interested in trading with the Colts so the Colts can move into the 7-12 range. 

I still think the pick will be for a WR or Bowers if there is a severe run on QB's and Tackles, and if we can get into the range I mentioned. 

Although I want a WR1, I would be fine with Bowers as he is going to be a game changer at that position. I know most would say that we already have so many TE's. I agree. They are a plethora of "jag" guys though. Colts have eliminated one (Ogletree), now they need to dump Granson and Cox and Woods if he cannot get healthy. Keep Mallory and go after Bowers. Granson they might keep in case Bowers is unattainable. 

This team can ill afford to keep grabbing guys at premium positions that are projects in premium rounds or trading back to gain more picks from premium round slots. <This strategy, although habitual and normally predictable, has not worked.

To my bolded, my meaning here is that every off-season we sit here and need CB's, Edge Rushers, WR's, and Lineman who are PREMIUM STARTERS/TALENTED, not just guys forced to start, and every year Ballard has traded back and traded back again, and it has not brought Bonafide starter results. It has not worked. It's time to change that strategy.

At #15, we trade up, use that pick to acquire a player, or stay at 15. 

I'm in agreement that we need to change up the way we've been drafting.  Most of Ballard's tenure, we've traded back and got more picks.  But what we wind up with are "more guys, but guys that are pretty good but not rare air".  At this time, I'd rather have "fewer guys, but high quality".

If Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers fell to #15, I'd take him.  I'd only trade back if non of those three fell to us.

21 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm in agreement that we need to change up the way we've been drafting.  Most of Ballard's tenure, we've traded back and got more picks.  But what we wind up with are "more guys, but guys that are pretty good but not rare air".  At this time, I'd rather have "fewer guys, but high quality".

If Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers fell to #15, I'd take him.  I'd only trade back if non of those three fell to us.

Exactly. I concur. :hat:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Barring a significant injury to AR , I would lay 50-1 that Ballard will not select a QB at 1.15. No ... make it 75-1 .

Probably a million to one.  But that wasn't what I said.  

I said you could make a case for any position being one of need, including the QB.

Who could argue that we really don't know what we have in AR, both health  wise and talent.

To be clear, I think he's the real thing.  I love his attitude and the little we saw of him on the field.  But he's yet to prove himself in both of the areas I just mentioned.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rome may be there at 15, Bowers could be as well? Talk about weapons for AR. 

I like Rome and would love if we got him. My heart says Woods can still be an elite TE, because I was so high on him pre-draft.

Malik is my dream, but he’s almost certainly not going to be there.

54 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Probably a million to one.  But that wasn't what I said.  

I said you could make a case for any position being one of need, including the QB.

Who could argue that we really don't know what we have in AR, both health  wise and talent.

To be clear, I think he's the real thing.  I love his attitude and the little we saw of him on the field.  But he's yet to prove himself in both of the areas I just mentioned.

If it's a million to one , how would you make a legitimate case that QB is a "valid" need at pick 1.15. When Mahomes  sat on the KC bench in his rookie year , did anyone think QB was a "need ?" I get your point but don't agree that QB would be a need for the Colts. I do agree that you can make a case for OL , DL , LB and secondary. TE only if Bowers fell.

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He didn’t trade down in the 1st last year….

23 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

What do you think Ballard does?

I think he’ll stand pat and draft some explosive player for the offense. Every single year, Ballard telegraphs what he’s looking at and every year, he follows through. The only areas he really focused on in his presser was that we needed to be more explosive on offense and better in the secondary. So I’m guessing he’ll go offense either TE or WR in round one, followed up by CB or FS in round two

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.    You’re the third person in the thread to point that out. 

Just making sure you knew. 

actually I was reading from top to bottom and hit multi quote but somehow managed to post it before I got all the way through. Whoops

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

If it's a million to one , how would you make a legitimate case that QB is a "valid" need at pick 1.15. When Mahomes  sat on the KC bench in his rookie year , did anyone think QB was a "need ?" I get your point but don't agree that QB would be a need for the Colts. I do agree that you can make a case for OL , DL , LB and secondary. TE only if Bowers fell.

You’re mixing up your argument.  Yes, I said the odds are that Ballard won’t select a QB.  Obvious.

Then I gave the legitimate case if he did select one.  capisci?

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You’re mixing up your argument.  Yes, I said the odds are that Ballard won’t select a QB.  Obvious.

Then I gave the legitimate case if he did select one.  capisci?

To be fair, it did read a bit confusing, I had to read twice to get your point