Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sudden Death Cage Match: Colts vs. Texans *Saturday 8:15pm (MERGE)

RollerColt

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts are really not getting any respect this game. Crazy with it being in Indy. 

The game is won and decided in the trenches and Colts have the better OL and arguably the better DL as well. Also it’s not like the Texans are at full strength at WR lol.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I am absolutely not going to subscribe to the conspiracy theory that the NFL is instructing the refs to make sure that a certain team wins.

If that were the case the Cowboys would have made Super Bowl since 1995.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This time two years ago, the Colts were facing a win or go home situation. They were 9-7, heading into the final game of the regular season. They lost 26-11 to the Jaguars, and the season was over. To me, the worst part of that loss is that the team never showed up; they sleep walked through the entire game, which was supposed to be the most intense situation the team had faced all year.

Jim Irsay responded with a late night video, saying that the team had allowed "doubt, fear, and a lack of faith to slip into our DNA." He called it unacceptable, and promised that anyone who was part of the operation moving forward would be walking in with "all chips in," starting with himself. Irsay sensed something that he didn't like within the team, and wanted it gone.

A few weeks later, the Colts traded away Carson Wentz, their starting QB, who was hoped to be a guy who would be with the team for a few years. A few months later, they fired HC Frank Reich in the middle of the season.

From what I can tell, here's every current Colts player who was on that roster:

Offense

Sam Ehlinger

Jonathan Taylor

Michael Pittman Jr

Kylen Granson

Mo Alie-Cox

Will Fries

Quenton Nelson

Ryan Kelly

Braden Smith

Defense

Kwity Paye

Dayo Odeyingbo

Tyquan Lewis

DeForest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Zaire Franklin

EJ Speed

Kenny Moore

ST

Rigoberto Sanchez

Luke Rhodes

IR

Ashton Dulin

Danny Pinter

Julian Blackmon

Suspended

Al-Quadin Muhammad (with the Bears in 2022)

So that's 19 active players, plus four more who are still with the team but won't play this week. A lot of turnover, but still a good chunk of our core roster that was around for that gut punch of a let down. I'm sure those guys remember how terrible the end of that season was, and want to avoid it.

On the other hand, the coaching staff has been almost entirely replaced. Matt Eberflus was the DC, who left to the Bears in 2022, and almost his entire staff was replaced when Gus Bradley was hired last year. Assistant DL coach Matt Raich is the lone holdover; he's been with the team in a similar role since 2020.

Then Frank Reich was the HC and de facto offensive coordinator, and almost his entire staff was replaced when Shane Steichen was hired this year. The lone holdover on offense from Reich's staff is Reggie Wayne, but he wasn't hired until 2022.

Joe Hastings was assistant special teams coach in 2021, and he's still in the same position.

Aside from Raich and Hastings, only Rusty Jones, Richard Howell, Doug McKenney and Zane Fakes were on the staff in 2021. Those four are strength/conditioning coaches.

The situation is very familiar to 2021, the roster still has a good amount of holdovers, but the coaching staff is almost completely different. It will be interesting seeing how the Colts handle the pressure of tomorrow's game.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts are really not getting any respect this game. Crazy with it being in Indy. 

It’s the sexy team to pick all because of CJ Stroud. Thats a more engaging headline than Garnder Minshew led Colts. 

Bulletin board material. I’m sure the players don’t and shouldn’t need extra motivation for tomorrow but I’m sure they hear the noise. 

I don’t want a competitive game. I want a demolition. I hope we blow them out tomorrow. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

It’s the sexy team to pick all because of CJ Stroud. Thats a more engaging headline than Garnder Minshew led Colts. 

Bulletin board material. I’m sure the players don’t and shouldn’t need extra motivation for tomorrow but I’m sure they hear the noise. 

I don’t want a competitive game. I want a demolition. I hope we blow them out tomorrow. 

Thats the spirit, just like the first game! Lets go!!!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

You just never know with this team. I could see us showing up & scoring 30 on them. I could also see our offense going stagnant & our secondary getting obliterated. 

Love this team, but it’s been a consistent theme for the past decade. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

This time two years ago, the Colts were facing a win or go home situation. They were 9-7, heading into the final game of the regular season. They lost 26-11 to the Jaguars, and the season was over. To me, the worst part of that loss is that the team never showed up; they sleep walked through the entire game, which was supposed to be the most intense situation the team had faced all year.

Jim Irsay responded with a late night video, saying that the team had allowed "doubt, fear, and a lack of faith to slip into our DNA." He called it unacceptable, and promised that anyone who was part of the operation moving forward would be walking in with "all chips in," starting with himself. Irsay sensed something that he didn't like within the team, and wanted it gone.

A few weeks later, the Colts traded away Carson Wentz, their starting QB, who was hoped to be a guy who would be with the team for a few years. A few months later, they fired HC Frank Reich in the middle of the season.

Offense

Sam Ehlinger

Jonathan Taylor

Michael Pittman Jr

Kylen Granson

Mo Alie-Cox

Will Fries

Quenton Nelson

Ryan Kelly

Braden Smith

Defense

Kwity Paye

Dayo Odeyingbo

Tyquan Lewis

DeForest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Zaire Franklin

EJ Speed

Kenny Moore

ST

Rigoberto Sanchez

Luke Rhodes

IR

Ashton Dulin

Danny Pinter

Julian Blackmon

Suspended

So that's 19 active players, plus four more who are still with the team but won't play this week. A lot of turnover, but still a good chunk of our core roster that was around for that gut punch of a let down. I'm sure those guys remember how terrible the end of that season was, and want to avoid it.

On the other hand, the coaching staff has been almost entirely replaced. Matt Eberflus was the DC, who left to the Bears in 2022, and almost his entire staff was replaced when Gus Bradley was hired last year. Assistant DL coach Matt Raich is the lone holdover; he's been with the team in a similar role since 2020.

Then Frank Reich was the HC and de facto offensive coordinator, and almost his entire staff was replaced when Shane Steichen was hired this year. The lone holdover on offense from Reich's staff is Reggie Wayne, but he wasn't hired until 2022.

Joe Hastings was assistant special teams coach in 2021, and he's still in the same position.

Aside from Raich and Hastings, only Rusty Jones, Richard Howell, Doug McKenney and Zane Fakes were on the staff in 2021. Those four are strength/conditioning coaches.

The situation is very familiar to 2021, the roster still has a good amount of holdovers, but the coaching staff is almost completely different. It will be interesting seeing how the Colts handle the pressure of tomorrow's game.

Nice re-cap.   The only thing I’d add, is that a bunch of top players got covid in the last two weeks.   Wentz did….  I think 3-4 of the OL did.   And a few other key players as well.   I think the lackluster performance those last few weeks could be attributed in part to getting Covid.  

I know some here won’t subscribe to this perspective but I think it’s the only logical reason that explains such a large falloff in performance when you’d least expect it.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

You just never know with this team. I could see us showing up & scoring 30 on them. I could also see our offense going stagnant & our secondary getting obliterated. 

Love this team, but it’s been a consistent theme for the past decade. 

Trust me I’ve aged about 5 years this season. Even the Raiders game which should have been OVER got tight until the last 50 seconds. This team straps you in and won’t let go until the clock officially hits zero. For better or for worse lol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What the heck is this.

If the team was more consistent (as they will be) l think they'd be up 5 or six spots. Not sure I agree where the Texans are at.

21 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Trust me I’ve aged about 5 years this season. Even the Raiders game which should have been OVER got tight until the last 50 seconds. This team straps you in and won’t let go until the clock officially hits zero. For better or for worse lol. 

Lol, l came out the room with soaked underarms after the Raiders game. My wife didn't know what to think...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Offense

Sam Ehlinger

Jonathan Taylor

Michael Pittman Jr

Kylen Granson

Mo Alie-Cox

Will Fries

Quenton Nelson

Ryan Kelly

Braden Smith

Defense

Kwity Paye

Dayo Odeyingbo

Tyquan Lewis

DeForest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Zaire Franklin

EJ Speed

Kenny Moore

ST

Rigoberto Sanchez

Luke Rhodes

IR

Ashton Dulin

Danny Pinter

Julian Blackmon

Suspended

I'm not sold on the present conditioning crew.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I heard yesterday Texans are not great against the RPO. Well they will get RPO to death against colts. Hopefully we get another pierce bomb. Those shots have got to open up the run eventually.

I hope it's not a close to the vest, conservative game plan on Off and Def because of the stakes.

Hopefully I haven’t jinxed myself but looking at the weather forecasts for next weekend. Of course these could change but very very cold in KC. Not too bad in Buffalo.

I think Bills are a team that could get away from colts. I think Chiefs is more likely to be a close game. Hopefully I haven’t jinxed myself.

1 hour ago, adubb84 said:

Why not us? The time to get hot is right now. Get hot now and don't cool off. 

Massive game tomorrow. I'm not sure we are even in the right headspace to understand how big this game is for this franchise to finish this year. Dominate the line of scrimmage tomorrow in a big win and this team won't be so overlooked come next weekend. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice re-cap.   The only thing I’d add, is that a bunch of top players got covid in the last two weeks.   Wentz did….  I think 3-4 of the OL did.   And a few other key players as well.   I think the lackluster performance those last few weeks could be attributed in part to getting Covid.  

I know some here won’t subscribe to this perspective but I think it’s the only logical reason that explains such a large falloff in performance when you’d least expect it.  

It's very possible that the COVID infections played a role in that late season collapse.

However, the fact that the team was just as lackluster in the first two games of the next season makes me think the coaching and preparation were a big problem. I know you think it's harsh to blame Reich for how things went in early 2022 because the OL and QB play weren't good, but there was a lack of intensity that was hanging over the operation, and I think a lot of that was based on Reich and his staff.

Somewhat connected, it's my hope that Steichen has everyone dialed in for the test that they're facing this week. The team has already overachieved, but they have a rare opportunity right now, and I hope they seize the moment. I would be shocked if Steichen doesn't have everyone fired up and locked in.

• Like 5

This is essentially a playoff game. A situation we’ve been in 2 years ago and a lot of players currently on the team were here then as well. 

All I want to see from our guys is want to and a will to fight. We lacked that 2 years ago. I hope it’s a good game and we win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's very possible that the COVID infections played a role in that late season collapse.

However, the fact that the team was just as lackluster in the first two games of the next season makes me think the coaching and preparation were a big problem. I know you think it's harsh to blame Reich for how things went in early 2022 because the OL and QB play weren't good, but there was a lack of intensity that was hanging over the operation, and I think a lot of that was based on Reich and his staff.

Somewhat connected, it's my hope that Steichen has everyone dialed in for the test that they're facing this week. The team has already overachieved, but they have a rare opportunity right now, and I hope they seize the moment. I would be shocked if Steichen doesn't have everyone fired up and locked in.

With hindsight, and more perspective, I don’t have a problem blaming Frank.   

My biggest problem with 22 is that the fans got no answers of all that went wrong. 
At his year end press conference, Ballard’s first words were “I failed…” and that seemed to take the steam out of the media.   They didn’t ask many tough questions that I had, and I was left wanting more answers.   Hugely, hugely disappointing to me.  I’m still angry about it. 

A year with Steichen has me re-thinking a good number of views.   

22 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Thats why we paid Ebukum big money...I think he comes throiugh

I don't know about big money. Good money for sure but:

He is tied for the 36th highest AAV of all Edge's.($8m AAV)

Make less than 1/4 of #1(Nick Bosa $34m AAV)

Makes 1/3 of most other top paid guys.(Watt, Sweat, Bosa, Garrett, Gray $24-$28m AAV)

That's Big money.

He has been quite the bargain, OtC has his valuation at $15m AAV currently.

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't know about big money. Good money for sure but:

He is tied for the 36th highest AAV of all Edge's.($8m AAV)

Make less than 1/4 of #1(Nick Bosa $34m AAV)

Makes 1/3 of most other top paid guys.(Watt, Sweat, Bosa, Garrett, Gray $24-$28m AAV)

That Big money.

He has been quite the bargain, OtC has his valuation at $15m AAV currently.

Definitely has had a career year and big upgrade over Yannick....tomorrow he comes through once more. (85.3 to 51.4     Samson this year vs Yannick last).

• Like 1

I think the forum is with me when I say the loss to Jacksonville 2 years ago was one of the worst losses to our organization in many years. What makes it doubling gut wrenching was I was there for me. 
A great post earlier shows truly how many of our Players were in that game. Houston and it’s QB and Coach are the shiny penny for sure to the masses. We are a hum drum vanilla team, that many have not seen play this year. 

Like JMV says, we have got to go take this moment, losing has got to go away for the organization, fan base, etc. No excuses, 16 players have experience with failing, Failure is Not an Option tomorrow!

Please, this one’s for the Shoe! Just Win!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good I prefer it this way.  No pressure on us. While I am not one that believes the NFL is rigging games we all know they want their most marketable players in the biggest games.  If you go through everything there is really no reason to believe the Texans are better than the Colts.  Virtually the same team.  They just don’t have the excuse of playing with a backup quarterback.