Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Falcons post game reaction (Merge)

hambone35

On 12/24/2023 at 3:06 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Pitt and smith don’t play Sunday colts are going to lose.

Any player you take in the first is going to be a game changer. Plus there is going to be a lot of quarterbacks go in the top ten.

The Raiders are not a good team either.  I don’t buy there last 2 wins.  Not saying we win but no reason to think we lose.  With that said Vegas has themselves plus 3 which is an even worse look for a home game. 

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

What is funny, and many here probably don't see it. is how Arthur Smith uses his RBs compared to how the Colts coaches use JT.

Tyler Allgeier burned us on a 25 yard TD run from an outside pitch play.  I've never seen ATL run that play with Allgeier....ever.....its usually Robinson.  

They actually called a to-the-boundary pitch play for their inside runner RB...and it went for 25 yards, untouched TD.  I've never seen Frank or Shane call that kind of a pitch to JT, or, have the sense that JT could remotely turn the corner as effectively as even Allgeier.   And then there is Bijan, who is probably the best open field runner in the NFL...but people don't know that yet.

JT...run to the pile, and hope their is a crease by the time he gets there.  (Then blame failure on the Oline)

Moss is a tougher runner if you are only going to run at the pile. We came up with a lower game plan offensively.

We were 27th in yardage allowed WITH all of the turnovers we had created.

Is it a big surprise they would pile up some yardage if we didn't turn them over?

How many plays did we see Zaire diving at them as they ran by and Thomas never close to anyone to make a play? 

Speed is really improving with experience.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not odd. I let the fans think this is a well constructed roster.  When they lose, it really shows the deficiencies.  Like they always say. U learn more about your team from a loss than after a win. 

So you don't enjoy wins,  and only come to complain after losses.   Thanks for admitting it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

What is funny, and many here probably don't see it. is how Arthur Smith uses his RBs compared to how the Colts coaches use JT.

Tyler Allgeier burned us on a 25 yard TD run from an outside pitch play.  I've never seen ATL run that play with Allgeier....ever.....its usually Robinson.  

They actually called a to-the-boundary pitch play for their inside runner RB...and it went for 25 yards, untouched TD.  I've never seen Frank or Shane call that kind of a pitch to JT, or, have the sense that JT could remotely turn the corner as effectively as even Allgeier.   And then there is Bijan, who is probably the best open field runner in the NFL...but people don't know that yet.

JT...run to the pile, and hope their is a crease by the time he gets there.  (Then blame failure on the Oline)

I saw Frank dial up an HB pass to Taylor, ONCE, and it got like 15 yards.  Then never, saw, it, again... I've also seen some. trap plays with Nelson pulling, even this year,  but didn't see it against the Falcons.  Lastly,  you are absolutely right,  I can't remember a run to the outside in a long time. Very disappointing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

The Raiders are not a good team either.  I don’t buy there last 2 wins.  Not saying we win but no reason to think we lose.  With that said Vegas has themselves plus 3 which is an even worse look for a home game. 

I think you’re selling the raiders short.  Especially now with Pierce as their new head coach.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

They have been much better since they fired McDaniels.  Don’t get me wrong if the Colts want to be a playoff team they need to be able to beat the Raiders at home but the Raiders aren’t a team just playing out the string to end the year.

• Like 2

Just now, compuls1v3 said:

Right,  but that's where elite RBs look outside.  I've seen him do it before,  but he didn't do it against the Falcons.

Because the plays being called were all behind Nelson and Kelly, which is who they like to run behind.  When he saw the hole was closed he’d start to look to bounce it and he was getting tackled.  I don’t know why the Colts didn’t call more outside runs after they worked so well vs the Steelers.  I know I was personally calling for them to run outside all game.  Running into the middle of the Falcons is running right at what the Falcons do best as a team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To me it was more than the line. It was pretty clear his vision was not good.

In his last 18 games, JT has one 100-yard performance. He’s gone 12 straight without hitting 100. For whatever reason, he’s not a game-changing back anymore. 

• Like 1

I think the rpo is hurting the running game and the pass protection. Why run it with a qb that isn’t a threat to run? I think that threat is the only way it works. I have been saying all year, the line and backs are the strong part of the offense, not the very average qb and receiving group. A top coach in any sport plays to their players strengths, not have players play to his strengths. It will take a year or two to get players to fit his offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

All I’m saying is the Raiders are a better team with Pierce as their new HC.   He has them playing hard and smart and that’s all you can ask.   

They were 3-3 coming into today since Pierce took over.  The three wins were against Giants, Jets and Chargers.  One of the losses was a shutout loss at home to the Vikings.   Today was a good performance against a suddenly reeling divisional opponent.  Anything is better than McDaniels Im sure we all can agree.  

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So you don't enjoy wins,  and only come to complain after losses.   Thanks for admitting it

That’s not at all what he said.

Thats like saying you openly attack other posters for having the temerity to criticize players/coaches.

Theres a lot of vitriol targeted only at certain posters here. It’s gross and it should stop. You don’t have to respond to them. You can just simply not respond. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's so nice to see that his new contract has paid dividends for the Colts. Like I said, the Colts should have waited.

I don't have a big problem with the size of the contract.  The offense need's any kind of play maker, so mildly over paying for 3 years is what desperate GMs/owners should probably do.  

I have a problems with the idea that he is a difference maker....that the Colts are a lot better offense when he is in the game (I'm not sure we are worse).  In some respects, I'd prefer even Allgeier.  At least Allgeier would get tough yards in a 4 minute clock kill, and provide something when the blocking isn't perfect.

23 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think it’s important to ask if this is just what JT does or what he’s being told to do. 

A little of both.  I think they ask him to do what he is good at, and don't ask him to do what he can't do very well.   I mean, it only takes one crease and things to fall right for an 80 yard TD.  So you try it a lot no matter how many two yard stuffs you get.  

Even if RB was being instructed to run into the pile, any decent RB with 3 years of college experience and 4 years of NFL experience should want to get yards where ever they see the opportunity, and not just blindly follow orders every play.  There is something wrong with his ability to run outside.  Gotta be, after 4 years of the same thing with two different play callers.

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Nope. I am just the voice of reason in pointing out the flaws in the way this team had been constructed. They can win against bad teams, and people can get all warm and fuzzy. This team needs a GM who builds a team with football players and not athletes. Not what they may turn out to be in the NFL but what they have done in college.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Still not sold on Rainmann. He struggles with power rusher. Did you guys notice how they stuck big Campbell on him when Campbell is typically a interior guy.

I did notice. Everyone is slamming Freeland here, and yes he did struggle... yet Raimann got pushed around as well, and then comes out afterwards, as having an excellent game by PFF, where it seems, he is usually highly rated, on a weekly basis.

I watched live, and will use NFL+ to watch the replay of the game... but I thought Raimann looked bad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I did notice. Everyone is slamming Freeland here, and yes he did struggle... yet Raimann got pushed around as well, and then comes out afterwards, as having an excellent game by PFF, where it seems, he is usually highly rated, on a weekly basis.

I watched live, and will use NFL+ to watch the replay of the game... but I thought Raimann looked bad.

Having that 1st pick in the 20’s it’s going to have to be something for colts to think about if there is a tackle there. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Having that 1st pick in the 20’s it’s going to have to be something for colts to think about if there is a tackle there. 

No they are not Raimann has had a great season.  He has the highest grade of a Colts lineman on PFF and graded well Sunday.  Most of the pressure was not coming from his side.  I am not buying people’s judgment of lineman play who said multiple times this year they didn’t see a drop off from Kelly to French this year.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No they are not Raimann has had a great season.  He has the highest grade of a Colts lineman on PFF and graded well Sunday.  Most of the pressure was not coming from his side.  I am not buying people’s judgment of lineman play who said multiple times this year they didn’t see a drop off from Kelly to French this year.  

He has shown he has a weakness. One I am not sure he can overcome.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 10:24 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When you have a franchise QB there is a lot more room for error. Then when you have a creator like Richardson when things do break down you’re never out of the play.  

you keep mentioning "franchise QB". The Colts have not had a franchise QB since Andrew luck. AR will be a rookie again next year. Do you realize he was labeled a "project" when drafted. He only started 10 games in college. He should not have been drafted in any round at all. It would be awfully nice if it works out but, one should not hold their breath.

Seeing how much time was waisted on Qb's since Luck left, specifically Brisset, I can see the current situation going right up to the 2028 season before they throw in the towel.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because the plays being called were all behind Nelson and Kelly, which is who they like to run behind.  When he saw the hole was closed he’d start to look to bounce it and he was getting tackled.  I don’t know why the Colts didn’t call more outside runs after they worked so well vs the Steelers.  I know I was personally calling for them to run outside all game.  Running into the middle of the Falcons is running right at what the Falcons do best as a team.

This is a good explanation of what was going on. My question is, If you're successful running outside one week. why can't you try again until you can't? What ever happened to the stretch play used for edgerrin James? The Colts seem to run the most predictable offense in the league. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

This is a good explanation of what was going on. My question is, If you're successful running outside one week. why can't you try again until you can't? What ever happened to the stretch play used for edgerrin James? The Colts seem to run the most predictable offense in the league. 

Same question.

23 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

I don’t think that’s part of the coaches rpo offense, and you don’t have a running qb

or one that is a deep passing threat. So teams clog the middle and the safety’s play closer to the line, making short passes and running the ball tougher.

2 hours ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

you keep mentioning "franchise QB". The Colts have not had a franchise QB since Andrew luck. AR will be a rookie again next year. Do you realize he was labeled a "project" when drafted. He only started 10 games in college. He should not have been drafted in any round at all. It would be awfully nice if it works out but, one should not hold their breath.

Seeing how much time was waisted on Qb's since Luck left, specifically Brisset, I can see the current situation going right up to the 2028 season before they throw in the towel.

They didnt really waste time on Brissett.  He was their backup when their starter retired on the eve of the NFL season.  They had no choice but to start him.  As soon as they had a chance they returned him to his backup role and signed Rivers to start.