Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank fired by Panthers (Merged)

runthepost

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was doing the exact same thing. Went on to NFL.com expecting to see Chargers headlines and lo and behold there was the news. 

I was at the Chargers game last night. Fans seem to be done with Staley, and I don't blame them. Once you start beefing with media members, I think the writing is on the wall.

And I thought he should have been replaced after their playoff meltdown last year. He's a defensive HC, they have a talented defensive roster, but they give up a ton of yards, a lot of points, don't force a lot of turnovers, and can't get off the field on third down. And it seems like they invent new ways to lose games.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was checking for news that Staley was fired when I saw that Reich was fired... I figured Reich would last to the end of the year, but there's no real reason for them to wait.

NFL media/twitter is sooooooo out of touch. I'm reading twitter and wondering... "what am I missing?" They are blaming Tapper and Irsay for Frank's downfall. Are you freaking kidding me? 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was checking for news that Staley was fired when I saw that Reich was fired... I figured Reich would last to the end of the year, but there's no real reason for them to wait.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was doing the exact same thing. Went on to NFL.com expecting to see Chargers headlines and lo and behold there was the news. 

Chargers play the 2 & 9 Patriots this weekend at Foxborough - if they lose that one, Staley will probably be canned NLT Monday

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

NFL media/twitter is sooooooo out of touch. I'm reading twitter and wondering... "what am I missing?" They are blaming Tapper and Irsay for Frank's downfall. Are you freaking kidding me? 

Tepper has apparently been micromanaging, and his history hasn't been great with HCs. And Irsay's decision and method last season were very unconventional, plus Irsay has a reputation for being a loose cannon (even if not totally deserved, although he's been shooting from the hip too much lately). So I can understand feeling like Reich hasn't had the best circumstances lately.

I don't agree with the idea that anyone is to blame for Reich's downfall, though. I think he did this to himself, and it's all come to a head in the last two years. If "stuck in his ways" has a human embodiment, it's Frank Reich.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I saw him run a screen on 4th and 6 on their own 25 yard line yesterday and I thought to myself... "Yep... his days as HC are numbered".

Didn't expect it to happen like... right away. 

Yep. That was one of the worst things I had ever seen. They literally just gave up and handed the ball back to Tennessee. And the 2nd worst one was throwing on 3rd and 2 at the end of the first half, which stopped the clock and then gave the ball back to the Titans, who then promptly scored a field goal to go into the locker room. 

A veteran head coach should know better. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was at the Chargers game last night. Fans seem to be done with Staley, and I don't blame them. Once you start beefing with media members, I think the writing is on the wall.

And I thought he should have been replaced after their playoff meltdown last year. He's a defensive HC, they have a talented defensive roster, but they give up a ton of yards, a lot of points, don't force a lot of turnovers, and can't get off the field on third down. And it seems like they invent new ways to lose games.

That had to be super frustrating to witness in person.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

sounds like the colts defense a lot of the time

7 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

sounds like the colts defense a lot of the time

They are statistically similar in a lot of ways. But as much as I dislike the Colts defense at times, the Chargers have a more talented roster, and are still bad -- Bosa, Mack, Samuel Jr., Derwin James, Kenneth Murray, etc. And they have a super talented QB being squandered by their overall ineptitude. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Dude legit thought he could just "Jerry Jones" the Panthers and walk in and win. Screwing people - I mean hedge funding - does not equate to successfully running a football team. 

If the Panthers were publicly traded, Tepper might have already bought a whole lot of "put" options, anticipating their crash. :) 

50 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Chargers play the 2 & 9 Patriots this weekend at Foxborough - if they lose that one, Staley will probably be canned NLT Monday

That won't happen because the Patriots are tanking for Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, lol.  :) 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

They are statistically similar in a lot of ways. But as much as I dislike the Colts defense at times, the Chargers have a more talented roster, and are still bad -- Bosa, Mack, Samuel Jr., Derwin James, Kenneth Murray, etc. And they have a super talented QB being squandered by their overall ineptitude. 

It’s really starting to weigh on Justin too. I’ve never seen him get rattled and frustrated before this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Funny thing, his offense looks that same as it did here.  But he also suffers from having the same bad WRs and Oline problems, not to mention questions at QB.  

idk man, nothing is that different here besides Josh downs.  It’s essentially the same line minus an improved French and Raimann, pretty much the same weapons except Shane didn’t have our best offensive weapon for weeks and was still putting up +20/game without our dynamic rookie qb.  Shane essentially created 2 offensive game plans and has succeeded with both.  Tbh, the opening game against the jags was all I needed to see to know Shane > Reich.  We had probably the worst rushing performance in our teams history and was almost able to win that game.  

I do think that everything going in Caroline isn’t 100% his fault but he’s apart of the problem.  The GM needs to go also.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah. I'm not the biggest Bradley fan, but it's not like this defense is underperforming. We have our problems, but overall the problems seem to happen in the exact areas you expect and because of lack of talent in the exact positions you expect. Other teams have some insane talent and are performing even worse than us. Can you imagine this defense with Bosa and Mack at EDGE... 

9 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

idk man, nothing is that different here besides Josh downs.  It’s essentially the same line minus an improved French and Raimann, pretty much the same weapons except Shane didn’t have our best offensive weapon for weeks and was still putting up +20/game without our dynamic rookie qb.  Shane essentially created 2 offensive game plans and has succeeded with both.  Tbh, the opening game against the jags was all I needed to see to know Shane > Reich.  We had probably the worst rushing performance in our teams history and was almost able to win that game.  

I do think that everything going in Caroline isn’t 100% his fault but he’s apart of the problem.  The GM needs to go also.  

We scored a lot of points during the Wentz year, without a great oline and the same if not worse WRs.  Last season was just bad everywhere.

Just saying that the criticisms of the CAR talent pool look a lot like the weaknesses around here over the past three seasons now.  Frank has been dealing with the same issues with two different teams.  I think he should have done better, just pointing it out.   It would be interesting to see where CAR would have been if they had Moore, CMC, and Levis.  Not a juggernaut but probably 5 wins by now? 

• Like 1

Not surprised at all.  Pretty much the same stuff we complained about was happening with the Panthers.  Do I think it’s all franks fault, no.  But he’s apart of the problem.

hes not the qb guru that everyone thinks he is.  I’m sorry, but Shane is proof of a qb guru.  As a rookie hc, dude has created 2 different offensive game plans for 2 different style QBs and was/is successful with both.  A good HC to me is someone who can create a plan around whatever qb he gets and become successful with them.  The panthers aren’t the most talented team, no one expected them to do much this year, but there hasn’t been any improvement whatsoever.  

maybe Frank can go back to being an OC, but idk if anyone wants to deal with him after this.  

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We scored a lot of points during the Wentz year, without a great oline and the same if not worse WRs.  Last season was just bad everywhere.

Just saying that the criticisms of the CAR talent pool look a lot like the weaknesses around here over the past three seasons now.  Frank has been dealing with the same issues with two different teams.  I think he should have done better, just pointing it out.   It would be interesting to see where CAR would have been if they had Moore, CMC, and Levis.  Not a juggernaut but probably 5 wins by now? 

regarding the wentz year, we also had the best version of JT.  Not to mention, it took Reich weeks to realize that we needed to hand the ball off more instead of letting wentz throw for 40 times a game. 

regarding Carolina, I don’t know where they would be with Levis because im not a levis believer.  I think it would be the same result honestly.  Frank has never wowed me with his coaching.  Like, with him, it was always the players that wowed me more.  I rarely said to myself “man, that was a great call by the coach” with frank.  I’ve said that pretty often this year with Shane.  And outside of Pittman, downs, and moss…who has really shined on offense this year as far as weapons goes?

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Eventhough I give Herbert a hard time at times for not playing well at the end of games, I know his coach stinks and he doesn't put him in great situations to succeed. I am not that naive. Imagine if Shane had Herbert here. I would be happy, Herbert is a great talent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

regarding the wentz year, we also had the best version of JT.  Not to mention, it took Reich weeks to realize that we needed to hand the ball off more instead of letting wentz throw for 40 times a game. 

regarding Carolina, I don’t know where they would be with Levis because im not a levis believer.  I think it would be the same result honestly.  Frank has never wowed me with his coaching.  Like, with him, it was always the players that wowed me more.  I rarely said to myself “man, that was a great call by the coach” with frank.  I’ve said that pretty often this year with Shane.  And outside of Pittman, downs, and moss…who has really shined on offense this year as far as weapons goes?

However you criticize it, we still scored a lot of points under Reich/Wentz with basically the same players we have now but lower quality LT. 

Scored a lot more than CAR is scoring.   The big difference is that CAR doesn't have JT, but I don't see that as a complete account.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eventhough I give Herbert a hard time at times for not playing well at the end of games, I know his coach stinks and he doesn't put him in great situations to succeed. I am not that naive. Imagine if Shane had Herbert here. I would be happy, Herbert is a great talent.

Pierce will be catching a lot of deep balls like Mike Williams, both jump ball WRs that also catch posts running across the field. Minnie Minshew can't see that far. :) Props to Steichen, he is almost making Minshew look good. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

However you criticize it, we still scored a lot of points under Reich/Wentz with basically the same players we have now but lower quality LT. 

Scored a lot more than CAR is scoring.   The big difference is that CAR doesn't have JT, but I don't see that as a complete account.

I guess what I’m getting at is that the players made Reich look better than what he is/was, not Reich making the players look good.  

just this year alone, how many personnel changes has Shane had and we seem to not miss a beat?  No JT to begin the season, revolving DB starting lineup, worst version of Shaq, 2 starting QBs, No Grover for 6 weeks…and we have a winning record and in the playoff hunt.  I don’t think Reich would’ve been able to do what Shane has done this year, and Shane is a rookie HC.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Speculation on steroids, which is somehow now being referred to as "knowledge." 

I'm not saying Reich wanted Young, or didn't want Stroud, but no one knows, despite their insistence.

It didn’t exactly take making the rank of detective to put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4. 

We suffered through enough years and QBs with frank to know what he wants his guy to do. He needs a guy with solid mechanics and processing. Someone who can throw a good deep ball, and not turn extended plays into mistakes. He needs these things. He doesn’t want them, he needs them. He cannot win without it reliably. We suffered through it. 

Stroud does all of that stuff. Very well. Stroud was head and shoulders pro-ready over Young, and it’s shown. Young’s mechanics need work, and he can force himself into mistakes. And that’s exactly what we’ve seen this season. 

Of the 4 rookie QBs in this draft I can even see frank ranking Young below the other 3. Young is the least of what frank looks for in a QB compared to the other 3. He’s a tiny guy, an injury waiting to happen, and we’ve seen what happens when frank has to turn to his backups… Young’s arm comes up short vs the other 3, he can’t put quite the mustard on his throws that the other 3 can, he can’t extend plays like Richardson, and he doesn’t have near the touch that Stroud has. 

“Touch” was a word that we always heard from frank defenders when it came to the question “what does frank need to win?”

If you had to sum up Stroud as a passer through the whole pre-draft process the most appropriate word would have been “touch”. His mechanics are smooth and fluid, he makes his reads and then he makes a really nice throw that he can pretty much put wherever he wants because he’s just that good at it. 

CJ Stroud checks all of frank’s boxes. He was a pro-ready guy who didn’t need a ton of work on his foundation and development, and he could do all of those things frank needs right out of the box. Making an assumption that frank wanted to draft the kind of guy he always wanted at QB instead of a guy who was just more of the same he’s fought and dealt with in the past is not just being wildly theoretical. 

As soon as tepper mentioned Young over Stroud frank should have been threatening to run into traffic after dark in protest because the writing was already on the wall for frank and Young as a pair before they even were a pair. 

If frank wasn’t standing on the table to get Stroud over Young then he’s a bigger derp than even I give him credit for being because he and Young was never anything other than a pairing destined for failure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, runthepost said:

God I can’t wait to see the national media tripping over themselves, or that jerk in Philly. 

reich is a good guy, but he’s not a HC material, no accountability, no creativity and no sense of the moment. Maybe hell find work as a QB coach or something again but he’s done for in the league now. Fired twice in a years time mid season

43 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s really starting to weigh on Justin too. I’ve never seen him get rattled and frustrated before this year. 

Their OL falls apart at the worst times, and while Kellen Moore has some nice play calls here and there, they run a pretty stale offense as well. Looks a lot like the Colts in the early Luck years, mostly dependent on a talented QB to bail out a predictable offensive scheme.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah. I'm not the biggest Bradley fan, but it's not like this defense is underperforming. We have our problems, but overall the problems seem to happen in the exact areas you expect and because of lack of talent in the exact positions you expect. Other teams have some insane talent and are performing even worse than us. Can you imagine this defense with Bosa and Mack at EDGE... 

Go back to the Raiders in 2021, and you'll basically see it. A little more production in some areas, still very limited overall, especially against good QBs/offense. My issues with Bradley are on a fundamental level, I don't think his scheme holds up, and he's very rigid. But week to week, we'll see some good results. I'm still impressed with how he handled the Ravens game, but that leads to more frustration as he goes back to his usual ways against every other team.

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's been reported that Frank wanted to take CJ Stroud with the #1 pick, but Tepper wanted Young. I wonder if the Panthers took CJ , do you think the Texans would have taken Young or Richardson? 

When? By who? I would love to see an actual report, and not a rumor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, smittywerb said:

I guess what I’m getting at is that the players made Reich look better than what he is/was, not Reich making the players look good.  

just this year alone, how many personnel changes has Shane had and we seem to not miss a beat?  No JT to begin the season, revolving DB starting lineup, worst version of Shaq, 2 starting QBs, No Grover for 6 weeks…and we have a winning record and in the playoff hunt.  I don’t think Reich would’ve been able to do what Shane has done this year, and Shane is a rookie HC.  

I would point out that our oline is probably the best its been in 3 years, because we have the best LT we've had in three years. 

I would say that Shane's Minshew/Raimann/Downs/Pittman/Moss, is as good as anything Frank worked with since Luck.

But I'm not comparing Shane to Reich.  I'm comparing CAR's talent to the talent Reich had here.  Frank deserves to be fired both times.  Just pointing out the similarities of the weaknesses in the talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Short selling for me. 

Not to mention that to me a lot of that financial stuff is playing with imaginary money. To each their own, but for me personally it doesn't scream honest day's work. Seems more like a calculated gambling day job. 

That’s not accurate in the least

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It didn’t exactly take making the rank of detective to put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4. 

We suffered through enough years and QBs with frank to know what he wants his guy to do. He needs a guy with solid mechanics and processing. Someone who can throw a good deep ball, and not turn extended plays into mistakes. He needs these things. He doesn’t want them, he needs them. He cannot win without it reliably. We suffered through it. 

Stroud does all of that stuff. Very well. Stroud was head and shoulders pro-ready over Young, and it’s shown. Young’s mechanics need work, and he can force himself into mistakes. And that’s exactly what we’ve seen this season. 

Of the 4 rookie QBs in this draft I can even see frank ranking Young below the other 3. Young is the least of what frank looks for in a QB compared to the other 3. He’s a tiny guy, an injury waiting to happen, and we’ve seen what happens when frank has to turn to his backups… Young’s arm comes up short vs the other 3, he can’t put quite the mustard on his throws that the other 3 can, he can’t extend plays like Richardson, and he doesn’t have near the touch that Stroud has. 

“Touch” was a word that we always heard from frank defenders when it came to the question “what does frank need to win?”

If you had to sum up Stroud as a passer through the whole pre-draft process the most appropriate word would have been “touch”. His mechanics are smooth and fluid, he makes his reads and then he makes a really nice throw that he can pretty much put wherever he wants because he’s just that good at it. 

CJ Stroud checks all of frank’s boxes. He was a pro-ready guy who didn’t need a ton of work on his foundation and development, and he could do all of those things frank needs right out of the box. Making an assumption that frank wanted to draft the kind of guy he always wanted at QB instead of a guy who was just more of the same he’s fought and dealt with in the past is not just being wildly theoretical. 

As soon as tepper mentioned Young over Stroud frank should have been threatening to run into traffic after dark in protest because the writing was already on the wall for frank and Young as a pair before they even were a pair. 

If frank wasn’t standing on the table to get Stroud over Young then he’s a bigger derp than even I give him credit for being because he and Young was never anything other than a pairing destined for failure. 

I'm not challenging the logic of this conclusion. Pre-draft, I felt Stroud was QB1, and Young was a pass. It's not hard for me to understand why anyone would think Stroud would be Reich's preference. 

The problem, IMO, is the bolded, and statements like it. Just because you or anyone else thinks that Reich would have preferred Stroud over Young does not mean that Reich actually did prefer Stroud over Young. Nor does it mean that Tepper forced Young on Reich, or that Reich didn't want Young. There's also a GM in the mix, and his evaluation would have been a factor.

Yet, people have reached the conclusion -- and in some cases appear to think that this conclusion is undeniable -- that Reich wanted Stroud, and Tepper forced them to take Young. And the more it gets repeated, the more entrenched this belief becomes. And there appears to be no supporting evidence, just a narrative that everyone has bought into. No one actually KNOWS this thing that everyone is claiming to know. It's one thing to think that this is logical and likely, and yet another thing to talk about it as if it's established fact.

In short, it's all speculation and conjecture, that people are repeating as if it's scientific fact. And that's what I'm challenging.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s not accurate in the least

@rockywoj, @RollerColt

BTW, hedging is when your normal business profit is based upon a set of conditions, and you "hedge" the business to protect it from those conditions changing.  A proper hedge has to have a profitable business line underpinning.  If the hedge itself is the source of profit...that's when it looks like gambling or funny money. 

Farmers might have a situation where they have input costs at, say, $4,00 per bushel and output sale crop prices are $6.00 per bushel at the time of their input.  They "hedge" the crop prices as to lock in their $2.00/bushel profit....in case by the time they sell the crop prices haven't declined to $5.00/ bushel or less.  Of course, the hedge eliminates the possibility they gain a windfall if prices rise to $7.00/bushel by the time they sell.

They use a hedge to lock in the margin created by their main line of work.  They are not hedging (speculating) on crop prices as their main driver of income/wealth.  There is a difference.

Now back to football..... 

• Thanks 1

Paywall: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article282370333.html 

In an exclusive interview with The Charlotte Observer, Reich said he was sorry he couldn’t get the Panthers headed in the right direction in the short time frame given.

“There’s a heart-pounding disappointment in not hitting the marks that we needed to hit to keep this going and try to get it turned around,” Reich said. “It hurts me for the guys, the team, the coaches and the fans.”

Reich also said of Tepper, who fired him in person Monday morning at Bank of America Stadium shortly before the news was announced: “I want to convey that I have nothing but positive thoughts about Mr. Tepper. On a personal level, I saw a side of him that I deeply respect and care about. But the NFL is a meritocracy. It’s not unconditional love. I understand from a professional standpoint Mr. Tepper is going to have certain standards that he expects to have met. I have no hard feelings, and my personal relationship with him was actually a real highlight of this short time.”

“It was a great opportunity,” Reich said. “The way the doors opened up for it was amazing. But there’s not always a storybook ending…. I also take comfort and find peace and strength that there is a next chapter of my life. I do believe that. I do believe God ordains our steps.”

Reich, who turns 62 next week, wasn’t ready to definitely say that he was finished with coaching. But he did say: “This is probably the final chapter of my NFL journey.

Interesting thought at the bottom. Don't know if he'd take a college job in the NC area or something like that, but he sounds like he's done with moving around to keep a job in the NFL. At 62, with lots of grandkids, I don't blame him.

However, I believe the guaranteed NFL coaching contract requires him to try to find new employment if he's going to receive his remaining money. So he's probably not just walking away from coaching.

• Like 1

First coach to be fired in back-to-back seasons let alone in season!

He should never have been hired but that's why they are the Panthers. 

A impatient meddling owner who knew he made a mistake and whoever in charge of selecting Bryce young was a mistake, especially seeing how Stroud is lighting up the league and how AR5 looked and also Levis. I think Young will be a serviceable QB but not with someone like Reich in charge and maybe get away from the Dysfunctional organization that drafted him. 

It was a good 24 hours for me as the colts won and currently the 7th seed and Reich getting embarrassed being let go in season after only 11 games there.  haha As most of you know I'm not a fanboy of Frank and the criticism he got from me and others was warranted, though I know he has fans in this forum and talking heads.

Bottom line is the colts are better off without him as will be the Panthers.....and having a guaranteed contract of $9mil annually isn't exactly devastating to him and his bank account. 

My advice to him is stay away from coaching and enjoy your millions. 

I didn't read everything here and I'm sure it's already been said but it is a real shame to fire him when you have a rookie qb.   There was a time when rookies were allowed to grow.  BY could turn out to be a great one.  Give him a few years.  Stroud isn't the standard.