Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

I have a hard time saying they did him dirty with how much we'll still be paying him for not playing for us. Maybe at the end of the day, the pay ends up evening out for the years of insane production while he was on his rookie deal.

For the record, I don't think they did him dirty, just talking about how it might be perceived by some.

I think they did him a solid by letting him get a chance to go somewhere and contribute.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The two sides had a meeting requested by Shaq, some things were relayed that he didn’t like, per his own admission . They told him he was gonna be inactive. Then released him. 

those are the only facts we actually know at this time, everything else is speculation 

If he went in there flipping tables and stuff, then I fully support the decision to release him. I doubt that happened, though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chickenMan said:

I would say they are both elite WR2. Maybe the two best WR2 in the league. But as a die hard Colts and Bengals fan who has seen years of both of them, neither are true star WR1 like Chase or Jefferson.

Lockett, Waddle, Aiyuk, Theilen, Kirk, Mike Williams, Meyers, Nacua, Godwin, Devonta Smith.. there have been lot of competition for best WR2 spot. 

I think Pittman lacks the additional gear that Higgins has but Pittman could be more reliable with better QB play. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think he is stubborn. I actually think he is a players coach.  Leonard still wasn’t even making impact tackles. 

Goes well beyond Shaq.

Think back about how well Rodgers was playing in limited opportunities last year and he refused to start him in front of Facyson for too long.

You don't make as many impact tackles if you are taking out blockers so Franklin can.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Goes well beyond Shaq.

Think back about how well Rodgers was playing in limited opportunities last year and he refused to start him in front of Facyson for too long.

You don't make as many impact tackles if you are taking out blockers so Franklin can.

It’s like people forget that Gus was in charge of our defense last season… you know… the 4-12-1 season? 

We’re seeing the same thing happen this season where we can’t get a stop when it’s needed, WRs are wide open, and for the most part we can’t put any pressure on the QB… 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Goes well beyond Shaq.

I will say this Bradley was still learning his players as first time DC for Colts. He eventually got it right with Rodger’s. He seemed to get Moore in a good spot this year too. 

• Like 2

Shaq (like all of us) is a mixed bag; there’s the guy who was active in his community and to those who knew him, a “great guy”. A guy who (in his early years) was an amazing player.
  Then there’s the guy who was too focused on being “dissed” by media who didn’t consider him the best LB in the league in his early years, who referred to himself in the third person, who complained about playing time when it was obvious his play was hurting the team. 

The complaining can be a cancer to a team. Think about guys like Zach Moss, Ogletree, Granson, Speed and Nick Cross who could all make a case for more playing time. I don’t know if this was a primary consideration for his release but it may have been one of the reasons he was let go.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

If he went in there flipping tables and stuff, then I fully support the decision to release him. I doubt that happened, though.

I’m with you. It’s just so uncharacteristic of the Colts to go this route during the season. Only times I can think of was pre-Jim Irsay as owner. I mean we even put McNary on the inactive list when he got charged with rape. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am excited to see more Speed.

Would you categorize that as having a.....need...for more Speed?

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am excited to see more Speed.

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s like people forget that Gus was in charge of our defense last season… you know… the 4-12-1 season? 

We’re seeing the same thing happen this season where we can’t get a stop when it’s needed, WRs are wide open, and for the most part we can’t put any pressure on the QB… 

Lots of obstacles this year though. I don’t mind if Shane decides to get his own guy. But I do think what has happened this year has been a little out of his control.   I will be interested to see any changes out of the bye week. Hopefully Brent’s is back and we see changes he is talking about. He mixed up coverages a ton lady two games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Gus can’t release players. Only the GM & owner have that power

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

top gun i feel the need GIF

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I will say this Bradley was still learning his players as first time DC for Colts. He eventually got it right with Rodger’s. He seemed to get Moore in a good spot this year too. 

It's a love hate thing with Gus.

Everyone HATES his soft zone that yields high amount of yards, yet they LOVE when his patience on defense results in a TO.

I'm not saying anything either way on Gus, but I am saying he is stuck in his ways.

Whether that be going with HIS guys

Or

Reluctance to blitz more

To 

Whatever (soft zone, etc)

Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was expecting Leonard to be gone, just not today. 

No I’m saying I’ve never been a fan of Bradley or his scheme. That includes his time in Jacksonville. 

Where I struggle putting this together is say that there was friction between Bradley and Darius, seeing how we worked it out with JT who clearly said he wanted to be traded, I don’t see Ballard knee jerk reacting to a fall out in this alleged meeting unless something really bad went down

• Like 3

Surprised it happened mid season but ultimately was the right play. Darious Leneord was a beast. Shaq got injured, got paid and was a complete shell of Darious. 

Best wishes

Im actually pretty happy to see the organization making the hard but right call for once.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Where I struggle putting this together is say that there was friction between Bradley and Darius, seeing how we worked it out with JT who clearly said he wanted to be traded, I don’t see Ballard knee jerk reacting to a fall out in this alleged meeting unless something really bad went down

Exactly! It’s all very strange. Ballard talked about never giving up on a relationship back at the beginning of the season with JT… and yet now we just toss him out? Something happened. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's just weird to me they won't give their $20m LB a chance to improve.

I get the injury concern with the guarantee in his contract, but then bench him and at least let him practice along side the team? Sure, he could get injured in practice as well, but they must've REALLY not wanted to risk paying him those $6.5m to not even give him at a chance like that?

He was loafing out there and had no burst. He had more than enough time to get in shape. Going further was a waste of time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chickenMan said:

I’m a Bengals fan too, I know he’ll be gone. I’ll miss him a ton, but we need the cash for Joe and Chase. 

Speaking of, I remember now that you’re the other Bengals fan here, how are you feeling about the team?

You're both a Bengals and Colts fan? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think he is stubborn. I actually think he is a players coach.  Leonard still wasn’t even making impact tackles. 

Gus has very much seemed more of a "force players into my scheme" vs "how can I fit my scheme to make the most of the talent of the players" kind of coach. We've seen some minor tweaks to the scheme, but he's pretty rigid about it and I think that's a disadvantage in the league at this point. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

Everyone HATES his soft zone that yields high amount of yards, yet they LOVE when his patience on defense results in a TO.

I hate to say it but those turnovers the last two games were probably more on the opposing QBs making horrible decisions and throws than the scheme. 

Now if we come out and demolish the Buccaneers? I’ll lighten up a bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

Gus has very much seemed more of a "force players into my scheme" vs "how can I fit my scheme to make the most of the talent of the players" kind of coach. We've seen some minor tweaks to the scheme, but he's pretty rigid about it and I think that's a disadvantage in the league at this point. 

Ballard’s supposed to acquire players to fit his scheme.  I think he’s doing pretty well so far.  Hard to do it overnight.  Leonard was a holdover.  So I think you can say it was  inevitable considering his circumstances.

• Like 1

Thanks for the memories, but to me he was a liability to the D when on the field this year in my opinion. Injury took his edge, sad really. Don't know if it even matters that it happened now. I don't think this team is distracted by it, maybe a little sad to those who were close to him. As far as Gus he wasn't my guy from day 1 but his system is "safe" with a low talent team such as ours. Good with good talent at every level......he doesn't bend much to players skill set, but for a GM he is probably easy to identify and draft talent for......what we need is some more talent beyond the LB'ers we have some rookies, both promising and not so much, and our Safeties are avg/good but the lack of experience and the overall averageness cannot be overcome by any coach....some consistent pass rush wouldn't hurt...... and a more progressive/innovative coach wouldnt hurt, but we need talent on the field to make the coach make any difference whatsoever. 

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Good Morning Hello GIF by LA Kings

I am too. My dad is a lifelong fan of Cincy, my mom is a Colts fan. My dad always liked the Colts too so I grew up cheering for both teams. 

Interesting. You have to have a team you like more though right? Who do you root for when they play each other? 

• Like 1