Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you have an unpopular opinion about the Colts? If so, what is it?

AKB

Saw this idea on Colt's Reddit, and I liked how the conversation there went. I think it's an interesting question, so of course I have to come and ask my favorite Colts board. 

My unpopular opinion is that Gus Bradley's defense isn't that bad. Sure, some parts of it are, in particular, prevent situations, but overall it is not a bad scheme, we are missing the two outside corners right now, and we lack depth on the defensive line, making it harder to get pressure with 4 only. 

one user (TheGravPav) on Reddit posted" Just because we aren't winning a ton right now doesn't mean we need to fire Ballard or have Irsay step down." 

• Like 3

Everyone says we are cursed because we cut Manning, we actually did Manning a HUGE favor by cutting him and letting him pursue what ever team he wanted. Most other teams would have held him for ransom and forced a trade which would have limited his market. I wish we would have held onto Manning and let Luck learn behind him but that just wasn’t going to work.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

I think Jeff Saturday would have turned into a good coach with enough time.  I think he is a really good leader.

i personally think he was the perfect face to tank a season. PR professional, colt icon. 

like putting a pillow down to soften the blow. or a controlled demonlition. lol 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, AKB said:

Saw this idea on Colt's Reddit, and I liked how the conversation there went. I think it's an interesting question, so of course I have to come and ask my favorite Colts board. 

My unpopular opinion is that Gus Bradley's defense isn't that bad. Sure, some parts of it are, in particular, prevent situations, but overall it is not a bad scheme, we are missing the two outside corners right now, and we lack depth on the defensive line, making it harder to get pressure with 4 only. 

one user (TheGravPav) on Reddit posted" Just because we aren't winning a ton right now doesn't mean we need to fire Ballard or have Irsay step down." 

I know we are missing guys, but we are ranked 27th in defense, and 32 with points allowed at 28.6.  Our defense just is not getting it done.  We need that elite edge rusher and a cover LB.  I think our corners will do better by years end (and once Brents is healthy.)

2 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I know we are missing guys, but we are ranked 27th in defense, and 32 with points allowed at 28.6.  Our defense just is not getting it done.  We need that elite edge rusher and a cover LB.  I think our corners will do better by years end (and once Brents is healthy.)

right, but your statement basically agrees with me.

we are missing players. any defense will struggle without a number 1 corner, and a true edge rusher. combine that with a hobbled leonard, and udfa corners, you get one of the worst pass defenses

so i guess the point is, can we really judge the end product? judging him (Bradley) based off situational football might be the best metric. 

Just now, AKB said:

right, but your statement basically agrees with me.

we are missing players. any defense will struggle without a number 1 corner, and a true edge rusher. combine that with a hobbled leonard, and udfa corners, you get one of the worst pass defenses

Yeah,  not arguing,  just stating some stats and ranks.  I do wish we would blitz a little more.   Our D is so boring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKB said:

It’s not just about the missing players to me. I just dislike the passiveness of the scheme. I’d rather it was more aggresive. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Yeah,  not arguing,  just stating some stats and ranks.  I do wish we would blitz a little more.   Our D is so boring.

Yeah I get that, we are once again last in blitz rate. Which I always thought makes the opponents OL job easier because they know that they only have to worry about DL, which then makes it harder for our pass rushers.

• Like 1

Steichen is a bad coach and has a lot of the same qualities as Frank Reich. That new car smell just hasn't worn off yet, and people aren't going to admit it for a couple years. He's already abandoned the run 2 of the past 3 games when we've fallen behind 2 or more scores, and that's with a half remaining where we can catch up. This is with Gardner Minshew, mind you, not Anthony Richardson at QB.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Steichen is a bad coach and has a lot of the same qualities as Frank Reich. That new car smell just hasn't worn off yet, and people aren't going to admit it for a couple years. He's already abandoned the run 2 of the past 3 games when we've fallen behind 2 or more scores, and that's with a half remaining where we can catch up. This is with Gardner Minshew, mind you, not Anthony Richardson at QB.

The guy has been a head coach for exactly 8 games. Can we maybe.....

brakes-stop.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

It’s not just about the missing players to me. I just dislike the passiveness of the scheme. I’d rather it was more aggresive. 

It is so passive because we have no one behind our d-line that can cover for shoot. So they play deeper in zone and leave nice gaps. With the speed of Roger's and Flowers who could cover aggressively man on man, so we could often bring up a safety to tighten up on the gaps or use as a Blitzer.

It is totally a personnel problem.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You announced you don't care about the Colts anymore and would watch the Broncos instead.....weeks ago. Yet you continue to post nothing but negative posts about the team. Perhaps you don't realize they are 9th in the league in rushing...without their biggest threat. AR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Prob the most Unpopular opinion on this board: 

Shaq/Darius Leonard is washed 

Nope, that rather popular actually.

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You announced you don't care about the Colts anymore and would watch the Broncos instead.....weeks ago. Yet you continue to post nothing but negative posts about the team. Perhaps you don't realize they are 9th in the league in rushing...without their biggest threat. AR.

I need to make a thread out of my post from the other day that showed our rankings, quite surprising 

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Perhaps you don't realize this is an unpopular opinion thread. My opinion isn't supposed to be agreed with by the majority.

• Like 2

My unpopular opinion is that our pass rush (IE are players)is better than most believe it to be. We’re just not blitzing enough to make it worth while and our CBs and LBs can’t cover, and or are 15 yards off the receiver therefore the QB has easy and open targets and can get the ball out before anyone can get to the QB. This is back up by our pressure percentage vs the sack totals ratio. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Perhaps you don't realize this is an unpopular opinion thread. My opinion isn't supposed to be agreed with by the majority.

I think his point is if you announced you’ve abandoned this team, why are you still here?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Prob the most Unpopular opinion on this board: 

Shaq/Darius Leonard is washed 

It is not unpopular, most of us already believe that, including me. We are just hanging on to that low probability of hope, like Jim Carrey in Dumber and Dumber, hoping for love. :) 

• Like 2

Just now, csmopar said:

I think his point is if you announced you’ve abandoned this team, why are you still here?

I didn't abandon it. I'm apathetic towards it. I've said this before, it's hard to give up on a team I've rooted for for 25 years. I want to be positive and hope good things happen, but I'm not going to pretend everything is good when it isn't either like a lot of Colts fans.

• Thanks 1

The Colts are an upgrade at corner back and pass rushing edge from being a contender. The offense has plenty of young talent and they are all set with a very young and innovative coaching staff and competent GM. They also have an owner who cares and is willing to pay for young talent.

I realize this opinion is unpopular with the negative Nancies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

The Colts are an upgrade at corner back and pass rushing edge from being a contender. The offense has plenty of young talent and they are all set with a very young and innovative coaching staff and competent GM. They also have an owner who cares and is willing to pay for young talent.

I wouldn't say that's unpopular, just that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease". 

I'd say that if we hadn't had so many injuries and losing Stewart to PEDs we'd be winning games this year. 

The good news is we're giving our rookies CBs a ton of experience this season. That can pay off down the road for years to come. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I wouldn't say that's unpopular, just that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease". 

I'd say that if we hadn't had so many injuries and losing Stewart to PEDs we'd be winning games this year. 

The good news is we're giving our rookies CBs a ton of experience this season. That can pay off down the road for years to come. 

I consider an unpopular opinion something both the positive and negative crowd disagree on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The Colts should open their roof for all home games, regardless of weather :) 

Is that unpopular enough?? :) 

I heard Franklin and Speed talk about it.  They do not like the cold.  Zaire said something to the effect of he's played in a lot of cold in syracuse but you don't really get used to it, you just cope.  Speed seemed to not like that cold at all.

• Like 1