Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says league admits they messed up

GoColts8818

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Doubt they do that.  The NFL isn’t stupid and knows their fans have eyes.  Docking a team for publicly saying what the NFL told them and confirmed what fans saw will just make the league look bad.  They may fine him but I am guessing it ends there beyond maybe the league telling Irsay behind closed doors dude don’t do that.  Worth remembering that Goodell works for the Owners too.

This is not the first time a team has said the NFL made a mistake publicly and never once has the league cared. Now if he’s said it Sunday before they admitted it, then I could see a punishment. But I’ve seen teams post countless letters they’ve received from the league over the years regarding such topic

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with this 100%. It should be a 1st rounder, just add an extra pick at the end of round 1 so it doesn't affect other teams 1st round picks. That would give us the 33rd pick. Something huge needs be done because the REFS cost us the loss. That loss was critical because now a team like the Browns has 2 less losses and the tiebreaker over us for Wildcard spot.

This would never happen lol.. Every team would be trying to get an extra pick then and start complaining about refs screwing them. Also wouldnt think other teams would allow that to happen lol

12 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Was wondering how long it would take them to actually admit this. Now everyone can drop it that they made the correct calls. 

Well the thing is team officials are not supposed to publicly speak on those conversations with the league. Hopefully Irsay speaking on this doesn’t negatively impact the organization. But I am hoping an expanded play review system will come from this because they really screwed those two calls up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Well the thing is team officials are not supposed to publicly speak on those conversations with the league. Hopefully Irsay speaking on this doesn’t negatively impact the organization. But I am hoping an expanded play review system will come from this because they really screwed those two calls up.

Apparently they investigate and discipline players who bet on NFL games. Are they doing the same to referees and replay officials? Oh, and historically, how many corrupt union bosses have there been? The referee's union should be investigated as well.

If this nonsense keeps up, might as well make Dylan Mulvaney the Commissioner of the NFL.

8 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

Glad Irsay said it. Was frustrated that Steichen didn’t address it in his conference but likely was told by Irsay he would be doing so.

The only way things will change is if enough attention on the topic forces the league into responding.

When you have someone like McAfee, who has a very large audience openly making a connection between gambling and referees, it shows there is a large enough contingent who feel similarly right or wrong.

That is a good owner right there, going to bat for his team, his GM and his HC. 👍

• Like 5

21 hours ago, cbear said:

Seriously, I thought the nfl says after the fact when they missed calls? Or am I thinking of the nba. I know some one does.

I thought the same. Wasn't that standard procedure by the NFL? 

I don't see why the owner or anyone should be fined for reporting that the league has acknowledged that bad calls were made against the Colts at the end of the game.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I thought the same. Wasn't that standard procedure by the NFL? 

I don't see why the owner or anyone should be fined for reporting that the leagues has acknowledged that bad calls were made against the Colts at the end of the game.

The NFL will do it once in a while if it’s a really big call.  They don’t have a public two minute report like the NBA does for example.  What the NFL does do is allow teams to send in plays for review each week and then responds to the teams on yeah we got that wrong or no it was correct.  That information is not public and the reason I think some feel Irsay could get in trouble is this report was product of that and Irsay made it public.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

The NFL will do it once in a while if it’s a really big call.  They don’t have a public two minute report like the NBA does for example.  What the NFL does do is allow teams to send in plays for review each week and then responds to the teams on yeah we got that wrong or no it was correct.  That information is not public and the reason I think some feel Irsay could get in trouble is this report was product of that and Irsay made it public.

I'm sure Irsay will gladly pay the fine

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

This is not the first time a team has said the NFL made a mistake publicly and never once has the league cared. Now if he’s said it Sunday before they admitted it, then I could see a punishment. But I’ve seen teams post countless letters they’ve received from the league over the years regarding such topic

Yeah I've seen players and coaches make similar comments in pressers and on social media in the last couple years, and I don't think anyone has been fined over it. This is an owner, so maybe they'll take it more seriously. But I don't think it's a big deal.

I think one of the best things the NFL has done was when they had Mike Pereira explain controversial calls each week. He had a real knack for it, and then got a ton of money from Fox to to leave the league office. They should bring that back.

• Like 1

I’ll say it again, Baker is terrible but he’s running with Cooper. I don’t think they even touched each other and Cooper had no problem moving to the outside even Cooper looked like he was astonished when he saw the flag most receivers or divas in the NFL and he didn’t even act like he was touched. Plain and simple. If that flag is not thrown, we win the game by kneeling on the ball. I’m sick and tired of officials trying to be the focus of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

Those were bad calls , but you can’t let the game come down to that. The Ravens could have complained about that bad non- PI call against the Colts , but we blew the game 20 different ways that day and deserved to lose. 
Everybody gets bad calls , it’s just the way it is. 

With the parity in the league most games are going to come down to that when it is so egregious.  The Ravens game had a bad call go both ways. For example, Pittman had his helmet ripped off on a catch and didn’t get a face mask call just like the Ravens should have got a face mask call. 

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Somewhat surprising that the dude does achilles and shoulders.  Must be an ablsolute monster with the scalpel.  

Not sure if I’m reading it wrong but it surprising that Holder doesn’t know who the doctor is considering he does pretty much every surgery on all the big time stars in every sport. He’s done a lot of UCL surgeries for baseball pitchers. 

10 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I still think it's ridiculous a professional league like the NFL don't employ full-time refs.

Do you think it would make a difference?  This is something I've thought about over the years.  I remember as a young kid seeing a halftime or pregame segment on an NFL official who was a longshoreman.  I remember being surprised the dude needed a 2nd job.  They showed him unloading ships, and then getting ready to ref the game. 

I am not sure full time officials will make a difference. Maybe.  The NFL and NBA have had full time officials for decades and people still see their glaring errors.

The thing about football is it's really hard to call lol.  There are all kinds of illegal things that happen on every play by the letter of the law.  Literally almost every time any blocker engages he is holding by the letter of the law since he grasps the breastplate.  Point being there is a lot of interpretation involved in NFL calls.  

That PI was incredible though.  It's not on the guy that threw the flag for PI, his job is to watch the DBs and receivers.  He might never have even seen the football.  IF he didn't, he correctly threw his flag because the Dback DID clearly interfere with the receiver.  But normally on a ball 6 ft above the reciever's head when he was on the back of the END zone when it landed 10-12 feet past the end line, the other officials would confer and rule that the ball was uncatchable.

How do you think full time officials would help?  It might sound like a dumb question, but what do the full time officilals do the other 165 hours when they're not officiating the game?

Like seriously, what would full time officials do? Watch film all week?  Train all week?  Confer all week?

I just don't see how they would be better.  

I am sure these guys know the rule book front to back sideways and diagonal.  

15 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Not sure if I’m reading it wrong but it surprising that Holder doesn’t know who the doctor is considering he does pretty much every surgery on all the big time stars in every sport. He’s done a lot of UCL surgeries for baseball pitchers. 

That's increidible.  I don't care about Holder, I'm talking about the Doc.

It's like he's the best player in football, basketball , and baseball if does shoulders, UCLs, Achilles, etc. 

That is really something.   Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, and Neon Deon only he's the best at each sport. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's increidible.  I don't care about Holder, I'm talking about the Doc.

It's like he's the best player in football, basketball , and baseball if does shoulders, UCLs, Achilles, etc. 

That is really something.   Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, and Neon Deon only he's the best at each sport. 

He’s definitely THE man. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Oooops....sorry hahaha.

Big whoop. What good does an admission of being wrong do us now. We still have a loss and nothing will be done to the refs

It’s worth remembering that the refs blew a couple calls towards the end of the Ravens game which likely also have affected the outcome.

Not excusing either one.  I’d like to see the NFL just become the best they can at getting it right.  But it’s not like we’ve only been hurt by bad calls.

It’s just that fans tend to remember the times refs screwed them more than the times refs screwed their opponents.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

With the parity in the league most games are going to come down to that when it is so egregious.  The Ravens game had a bad call go both ways. For example, Pittman had his helmet ripped off on a catch and didn’t get a face mask call just like the Ravens should have got a face mask call. 

Perhaps, but Harbaugh’s bad decisions and time management were way more influential on the outcome of the game , similar to the Colts four turnovers against the Browns. 
The calls were bad, but every fan base has a story. 

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

I've heard many times before that a team gets a phone call from the League office saying that they got it wrong.  I think Polian used to mention those times on his radio show, and other times I've heard it more recently.

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

Perhaps, but Harbaugh’s bad decisions and time management were way more influential on the outcome of the game , similar to the Colts four turnovers against the Browns. 
The calls were bad, but every fan base has a story. 

Harbaugh's time management was definitely bad.  

• Like 1

The NFL "admits it" - ONLY to the owner or GM - they are "not supposed to publicly disclose the information shared"!!

OOOPS!!

I agree with Jim Irsay's suggestion for replay reviews on referee calls in the 2 minute window of both halves.

Let's be honest here - the referees have cost many a team - over the years - a victory - due to a poor or mistaken play call!!

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Do you think it would make a difference?  This is something I've thought about over the years.  I remember as a young kid seeing a halftime or pregame segment on an NFL official who was a longshoreman.  I remember being surprised the dude needed a 2nd job.  They showed him unloading ships, and then getting ready to ref the game. 

I am not sure full time officials will make a difference. Maybe.  The NFL and NBA have had full time officials for decades and people still see their glaring errors.

The thing about football is it's really hard to call lol.  There are all kinds of illegal things that happen on every play by the letter of the law.  Literally almost every time any blocker engages he is holding by the letter of the law since he grasps the breastplate.  Point being there is a lot of interpretation involved in NFL calls.  

That PI was incredible though.  It's not on the guy that threw the flag for PI, his job is to watch the DBs and receivers.  He might never have even seen the football.  IF he didn't, he correctly threw his flag because the Dback DID clearly interfere with the receiver.  But normally on a ball 6 ft above the reciever's head when he was on the back of the END zone when it landed 10-12 feet past the end line, the other officials would confer and rule that the ball was uncatchable.

How do you think full time officials would help?  It might sound like a dumb question, but what do the full time officilals do the other 165 hours when they're not officiating the game?

Like seriously, what would full time officials do? Watch film all week?  Train all week?  Confer all week?

I just don't see how they would be better.  

I am sure these guys know the rule book front to back sideways and diagonal.  

If all they had to do was prepare for NFL games that would give them time to study the teams they'll be officiating. Some players have habits of playing to just beyond what's allowed and they usually get away with it.

Also, it'd allow for more intense study of the rules and hopefully minimize situations like where Baker was called for defensive holding, but Cooper actually initiated the contact making it an OPI.

Some of these refs have been officiating for a long time and are decent at it. The benefits of full time refs would of course wouldn't be night and day, but if it's enough to halve the situations where refs impact a game in a bad way wouldn't that be worth it?

To me it's about minimizing errors and I think full time officials would be better than what we have currently.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If all they had to do was prepare for NFL games that would give them time to study the teams they'll be officiating. Some players have habits of playing to just beyond what's allowed and they usually get away with it.

Also, it'd allow for more intense study of the rules and hopefully minimize situations like where Baker was called for defensive holding, but Cooper actually initiated the contact making it an OPI.

Some of these refs have been officiating for a long time and are decent at it. The benefits of full time refs would of course wouldn't be night and day, but if it's enough to halve the situations where refs impact a game in a bad way wouldn't that be worth it?

To me it's about minimizing errors and I think full time officials would be better than what we have currently.

Training, development, they could be available for all minicamps and OTAs, seminars with teams, etc. It would lead to more consistency from crew to crew, also. I think it would have a huge impact on officiating over time.

Logistically, it's difficult. Where are they located? When do they have to be available, virtually or in person? It would be expensive. There's a union to consider, which makes things a little more difficult. I think I understand why it hasn't happened, but I think it's clearly the best way to go.

Also, to be clear, I think the refs generally do a good job. They get a lot of criticism for the mistakes, but they're officiating 150 plays each game, with a bunch of technical considerations for each play. And if they mess up on 2-3 plays, they get raked over the coals and accused of being corrupt by people who have the benefit of a half dozen camera angles, slow mo, zoom, and a rules expert explaining it to them. There's clearly room for improvement, and I think it's important to pursue improvement aggressively.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Training, development, they could be available for all minicamps and OTAs, seminars with teams, etc. It would lead to more consistency from crew to crew, also. I think it would have a huge impact on officiating over time.

Logistically, it's difficult. Where are they located? When do they have to be available, virtually or in person? It would be expensive. There's a union to consider, which makes things a little more difficult. I think I understand why it hasn't happened, but I think it's clearly the best way to go.

Also, to be clear, I think the refs generally do a good job. They get a lot of criticism for the mistakes, but they're officiating 150 plays each game, with a bunch of technical considerations for each play. And if they mess up on 2-3 plays, they get raked over the coals and accused of being corrupt by people who have the benefit of a half dozen camera angles, slow mo, zoom, and a rules expert explaining it to them. There's clearly room for improvement, and I think it's important to pursue improvement aggressively.

I think at some point I heard the refs actually didn't want to be full time, but don't quote me on that.

Honestly this is an area where the NFL should put the foot down and veto it. It's a pretty clear "next step" to improve the overall game in my opinion.

It would be expensive, no doubt, but I agree it's important to pursue improvement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think at some point I heard the refs actually didn't want to be full time, but don't quote me on that.

Honestly this is an area where the NFL should put the foot down and veto it. It's a pretty clear "next step" to improve the overall game in my opinion.

It would be expensive, no doubt, but I agree it's important to pursue improvement.

From what I've heard most refs are lawyers and professional types.   They get the best of both worlds.  Hiring full time refs wouldn't be that expensive in the grand scheme.  Pay them 200k a year,  but that is your job all year.   After the season have physical training and ruled training.   If you blow calls you are docked in some way.   Too many blown calls,  you're fired. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I know nothing about the refs' CBA, so I don't know what the NFL can actually do there. But a lot of these guys have solid careers outside of reffing, they make a few hundred thousand as lawyers, bankers, whatever... and then they make a couple hundred thousand (or more) as NFL refs. So I'm not surprised that someone who views reffing as a side gig wouldn't want to give up their actual career.

And I think those guys should be phased out, however that needs to happen. The other major sports have full time refs, and they play way more games, so the logistics are workable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know nothing about the refs' CBA, so I don't know what the NFL can actually do there. But a lot of these guys have solid careers outside of reffing, they make a few hundred thousand as lawyers, bankers, whatever... and then they make a couple hundred thousand (or more) as NFL refs. So I'm not surprised that someone who views reffing as a side gig wouldn't want to give up their actual career.

And I think those guys should be phased out, however that needs to happen. The other major sports have full time refs, and they play way more games, so the logistics are workable. 

Full time refs is definitely doable, but if they have to phase out current refs first it could take a couple of years.

I think it's a bit of a joke that a $12 billion dollar business like the NFL is still employing part time refs especially when other major sports (national and international) use full time refs.

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

From what I've heard most refs are lawyers and professional types.   They get the best of both worlds.  Hiring full time refs wouldn't be that expensive in the grand scheme.  Pay them 200k a year,  but that is your job all year.   After the season have physical training and ruled training.   If you blow calls you are docked in some way.   Too many blown calls,  you're fired. 

I definitely think this is what the league should be moving towards.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Full time refs is definitely doable, but if they have to phase out current refs first it could take a couple of years.

I think it's a bit of a joke that a $12 billion dollar business like the NFL is still employing part time refs especially when other major sports (national and international) use full time refs.

My fear is full time refs would be more controlled by the league and what the league wants. And would there be any public accountability for screw ups? There isn't now so my guess would be no. I think it would be better to review any flag thrown in the last 5 minutes of a game.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

maybe IDK

i don’t think this would make a difference. They know the rules I guarantee it.  These things happen fast on the defensive holding. It’s nothing like a rule issue IMO.

Idk man.  I just don’t see that it would make a difference.

they just should have conferred on the PI.  It’s just a bad call.  I don’t think the officials forgot the uncatchable rule there.

Angel Hernandez has been umping for decades and he totally sucks.  I’m not sure film study would have the effect you’re looking for.

all baseball calls are clear. Mom for automatic computer balls and strikes.  They can now right most wrongs on the bases and foul or fair.

Football is nothing like that.

No one ever travels in the NBA.  They don’t apply the rule.  It’s always weird to me.

I wish they’d change the offensive holding rule to the way it’s done because literally almost every block is a hold according to the rules.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yep.  Growing up it was harder to see reffing errors on my 13 inch black and white, snowy reception TV I had in my room.

they should have overruled that PI though lol.