Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline (MERGE)

sb41champs

Trade Deadline?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts Trade FOR a Player Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Colts TRADE a Player Away Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I remember when Ballard was talking about having a talk with Buckner about not asking out like Gilmore did last year. Which to me sounds like there was a possibility Buckner was going to ask out. Now 9 months later, with the starting QB sidelined and his running mate at DT suspended, this team's contention ambitions are getting suspended for one more year too. 

By no means do I think this is certainly going to happen, but I do think there is not an insignificant chance it does happen. 

I guess anything is possible but I would be really surprised if he asked out.  Gilmore has only a year or more left.  So I could see him asking.  Buckner has a much longer window.  I think he likes it here and the new direction so I would be surprised.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sure looks like this is on track to happen.  He's a young talent.  If Ballard gets him this is about the future and an opportunity to get a potential deep threat and difference maker.

Right. Jeudy was great at Bama, and he's 100% being wasted in Denver.

• Like 1

Ugh, I just really hate his attitude. 

The Broncos have been a clownshow for a couple of years now. Fine you’re upset, but take it up with the people in charge. When you start quitting on field it’s just such a bad look. We’re not contenders either, is he going to keep it up here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, stitches said:

I still think we should trade Taylor... :dunno:

dark horse candidate - I think it's possible Buckner asks for a trade. 

It is interesting that you were once a well informed poster, but now don't understand that Taylor can't be traded now or next season because of cap considerations. 

I do hope you are well.

33 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Ugh, I just really hate his attitude. 

The Broncos have been a clownshow for a couple of years now. Fine you’re upset, but take it up with the people in charge. When you start quitting on field it’s just such a bad look. We’re not contenders either, is he going to keep it up here?

Two different teams two different environments.  When a team trades for you you are going to feel wanted and you are going to go there with a different mind set and you are going to want to fit in and contribute.  I’m not worried about his attitude.  I’m expecting him to be excited and positive.  He knows we just lost AR.  He knows we will view him as an integral part of a long term goal.   So I think this has a chance to be a big add if it happens.  We shall see.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Two different teams two different environments.  When a team trades for you you are going to feel wanted and you are going to go there with a different mind set and you are going to want to fit in and contribute.  I’m not worried about his attitude.  I’m expecting him to be excited and positive.  He knows we just lost AR.  He knows we will view him as an integral part of a long term goal.   So I think this has a chance to be a big add if it happens.  We shall see.

Russel Wilson says hi…

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I voted no for both, as Ballard doesn't take drastic actions, just like the initial days of Free Agency.

But, if someone wants to trade for Leonard, he'll probably do it? It might be a possibility. 

I think that might have happened if not for the injury to AR... 

You might enjoy looking at sites  Spotrac or OvertheCap.

Spot race estimates we have $9.6m of cap space.

Leonard leaving us today would generate by my estimation a $22m instant cap hit. The math says Leonard isn't going anywhere this season.

We take $8m of cap hit if we cut him after this season.

If we don’t cut him then we would owe him about $16m for 24. 

So much for rewarding big 2nd contracts to your own.

And high dollar FA have a very high rate of being cut after the 2nd year for lack of performance/value.

• Like 1

I see us moving a TE to package a deal either for picks or WR or CB.

Maybe trading Smith cause of Freeland's play but I hope not.

Also maybe Moore, he wanted more money and now that JT is signed it may come down to Moore or Pittman. I think Brents would be better nickel than outside. We also Cross, Blackmon and Tony all who can play nickel.

Low cost Day 3 pick for Jeudy, I would be fine with it.  Then add a WR on Day 1 of the draft to give AR everything he needs on the WR front.

If we give up a 3rd rounder for Justin Simmons, I would definitely be fine with it too. Plenty of strong safeties to go around, not enough quality free safeties in the league.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It is interesting that you were once a well informed poster, but now don't understand that Taylor can't be traded now or next season because of cap considerations. 

I do hope you are well.

It's 11M in dead money and it might actually grease the wheels for a higher pick - i.e. the team getting him will be getting him on a better deal, the Colts would be getting a better pick. But again ... I do NOT think this will happen. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

It's 11M in dead money and it might actually grease the wheels for a higher pick - i.e. the team getting him will be getting him on a better deal, the Colts would be getting a better pick. But again ... I do NOT think this will happen. 

Spread over 2 years as well.

If we trade Taylor before deadline:

2023 Dead Cap: $3,375,482

2024 Dead Cap: $7,686,000

2023 Cap Savings: $1,742,000

If we trade Taylor at start of next season:

2024 Dead Cap: $7,686,000

2024 Cap Savings: $3,190,000

Contract for team traded to:

2023 $1,742,000base(prorated down to 8-10 games) - total $1,742,000(guaranteed)

2024 $7,804,000base $510,000 active bonus - total cap hit $8,314,000 (guaranteed)

2025 $11,980,000base $1,020,000 active bonus - total $13,000,000 (not guaranteed)

2026 $11,980,000base, $1,020,000 active bonus - total $13,000,000 (not guaranteed)

So essentially a 4yr $36m deal for new team($9m AAV)(3 1/2 seasons)

3yr $34.3m deal if traded start of next season ($11.4m AAV)

So that does give validity to your hope, it isn't out of the realm of feasible.

Do I think it will happen? No.

However it does make him more valuable with a contract like that in a trade. There is no cap restraints if we wanted to do this for us. Yes, it cost us more money to trade him, but if the compensation would be higher? Maybe worth it?

Either way, probably not happening.

• Like 1

Colts trade JT and Pittman to the Vikings for Jefferson straight up.

My thinking:

Vikings record plays a huge role here. Vikings get the RB they desperately need on a decent contract and a true WR2 that they can extend on their terms. They lose a WR one plus a big contract. With their record, they will be in position to take Marv Jr or a top wideout early in 2024 to pair with Pittman who will be on a team friendly rook deal.

Colt's record plays huge role here too: Colts get the true #1 they most desperately need and eliminate JTs contract off the books while evading having to pay Pittman, whose agent will try to sell as a number one because the Colts have no one better. Colts also trade for Jeudy, to replace Pittman giving the Colts a WR1a, or at least similar shell to Pittman, while allowing Moss to become the full-time starter on a more friendly contract. With their record they will be in position to take Bowers the TE.

Win-Win for each team. 

JT, Marv Jr, Pittman, and Hock

Moss, JJ, Jeudy, and Bowers

Just saying... 

• w87r changed the title to Trade Deadline (MERGE)
9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Colts trade JT and Pittman to the Vikings for Jefferson straight up.

My thinking:

Vikings record plays a huge role here. Vikings get the RB they desperately need on a decent contract and a true WR2 that they can extend on their terms. They lose a WR one plus a big contract. With their record, they will be in position to take Marv Jr or a top wideout early in 2024 to pair with Pittman who will be on a team friendly rook deal.

Colt's record plays huge role here too: Colts get the true #1 they most desperately need and eliminate JTs contract off the books while evading having to pay Pittman, whose agent will try to sell as a number one because the Colts have no one better. Colts also trade for Jeudy, to replace Pittman giving the Colts a WR1a, or at least similar shell to Pittman, while allowing Moss to become the full-time starter on a more friendly contract. With their record they will be in position to take Bowers the TE.

Win-Win for each team. 

JT, Marv Jr, Pittman, and Hock

Moss, JJ, Jeudy, and Bowers

Just saying... 

JT isn’t getting traded.  They wouldn’t have given him a new contract if he was getting traded.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. No way. We got a 1st round pick for Stefon Diggs. We would want more for JJ. We are not getting rid of Jefferson.

We aren't trading JT anyway, we just signed him to a long contract and Moss is a FA at the end of the season. Some in here need to get over being butt hurt that we signed JT. JT and AR together next year will be lethal good. 

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We aren't trading JT anyway, we just signed him to a long contract and Moss is a FA at the end of the season. Some in here need to get over being butt hurt that we signed JT. JT and AR together next year will be lethal good. 

Noone’s butthurt. Some of us just think it was the wrong decision based on how the game is played currently.

We’re saddled with JT now and Moss likely wants to go to a place he can be the #1 back next season. We can only hope JT will refind his ‘21 form or this contract will look ridiculous. Some in here are willing to overlook anything factual, though, as long as a player they like is wearing the shoe. That includes disregarding our Oline were elite at run blocking the year JT took off. They haven’t been since and JT didn’t take off last season. 

If anything Ballard would be smart to trade Moss before the deadline and get something for him while we can. JT’s attempt to get traded may have shown it won’t be much we could get for Moss though. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Some of us just think it was the wrong decision based on how the game is played currently.

Many of the young offensive minds do not seem to value the run game much, but the passing-dominated offense puts pressure on the defense and special teams. Good teams can use the run game and short passing game to get first downs and move the chains. That helps the defense to rest and takes time off the clock.  Nowadays, some teams are so enamored with passing that they abandon the run game altogether even when the situation calls for it (when taking time off the clock is most important). These offenses often go three and out, putting the defense back on the field rather than giving them a break.

I don't like the power running game or the passing-dominated game. I like a balance of passing and running.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Many of the young offensive minds do not seem to value the run game much, but the passing-dominated offense puts pressure on the defense and special teams. Good teams can use the run game and short passing game to get first downs and move the chains. That helps the defense to rest and takes time off the clock.  Nowadays, some teams are so enamored with passing that they abandon the run game altogether even when the situation calls for it (when taking time off the clock is most important). These offenses often go three and out, putting the defense back on the field rather than giving them a break.

I don't like the power running game or the passing-dominated game. I like a balance of passing and running.

I agree, but those good teams rely on their Olines and/or schemes to get it done. The solution isn’t to pay a RB top dollar and the last two decades is proof of that. 

I’m not saying the run game is irrelevant. I hope everyone understands that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Noone’s butthurt. Some of us just think it was the wrong decision based on how the game is played currently.

We’re saddled with JT now and Moss likely wants to go to a place he can be the #1 back next season. We can only hope JT will refind his ‘21 form or this contract will look ridiculous. Some in here are willing to overlook anything factual, though, as long as a player they like is wearing the shoe. That includes disregarding our Oline were elite at run blocking the year JT took off. They haven’t been since and JT didn’t take off last season. 

If anything Ballard would be smart to trade Moss before the deadline and get something for him while we can. JT’s attempt to get traded may have shown it won’t be much we could get for Moss though. 

Are you now trying to say Taylor was only good in 21 because the OL blocking was good and to back that up you point to the OL blocking wasn’t good in 22 and so neither was Taylor.   That’s your argument? 

How about noting Taylor wasn’t good last year because he suffered THREE bad ankle sprains.   How about noting the offensive line was so bad the the entire offense was beyond terrible, not just the run game.  Everything was dysfunctional.   You somehow didn’t mention either of those points.  

I think you’re working way too hard to try to make the case that re-signing Taylor was a bad decision by management. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Are you now trying to say Taylor was only good in 21 because the OL blocking was good and to back that up you point to the OL blocking wasn’t good in 22 and so neither was Taylor.   That’s your argument? 

How about noting Taylor wasn’t good last year because he suffered THREE bad ankle sprains.   How about noting the offensive line was so bad the the entire offense was beyond terrible, not just the run game.  Everything was dysfunctional.   You somehow didn’t mention either of those points.  

I think you’re working way too hard to try to make the case that re-signing Taylor was a bad decision by management. 

No I’m not…

I’m saying the difference between his great season in ‘21 and good season in ‘22 was a great blocking Oline. 

I know you want to harp on about injuries as excuses all the time, but JT wasn’t injured the first 4 weeks of the ‘22 season. His stats those 4 games:

82 carries, 328 yards and 1 TD. 4.05YPC. 

And yes, the Oline was bad, which was my point?

54 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

No I’m not…

I’m saying the difference between his great season in ‘21 and good season in ‘22 was a great blocking Oline. 

I know you want to harp on about injuries as excuses all the time, but JT wasn’t injured the first 4 weeks of the ‘22 season. His stats those 4 games:

82 carries, 328 yards and 1 TD. 4.05YPC. 

And yes, the Oline was bad, which was my point?

JT averaged 5.5 yards per carry in 21, and in the first 4 games of 22 he averaged nearly 1.5 yards LESS per carry and you think that’s PROOF that he was healthy. 

Sorry….  I think you’re making a ton of assumptions and they’re all slanted in favor of being against Taylor and re-signing him.    As I said, I think you’re working way too hard to trash Taylor.   Which was my point. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

JT averaged 5.5 yards per carry in 21, and in the first 4 games of 22 he averaged nearly 1.5 yards LESS per carry and you think that’s PROOF that he was healthy. 

Sorry….  I think you’re making a ton of assumptions and they’re all slanted in favor of being against Taylor and re-signing him.    As I said, I think you’re working way too hard to trash Taylor.   Which was my point. 

JT was injured in week 4 against the Titans. If you don’t believe that you’re just sticking your head in the sand, and I can’t really be bothered discussing this further. 

And again you’re wrong - I’m not trashing JT at all. I had him as my forum-avatar since ‘21. I love watching RBs, especially good RBs, but I Iove my team more and historic evidence shows paying RBs top dollar on their 2nd contract doesn’t pay off.

And there are more reasons:

• RBs get notoriously more injury prone after their rookie deal and production just drops. 
  • There hasn’t been a Super Bowl winner in over two decades that’s paid top dollar for a RB. 
  • You can get close to top RB performance for far less than top dollar. 
  • The RB position is one of the easiest for rookies to pick up. 

I’m not saying JT isn’t good. I’m not saying he isn’t our best RB when up to speed. But, Moss showed the week after we paid JT why paying big money for a RB is a bad idea. 

Good RB play is more about the Oline and scheme. Many teams are wringing good production out of nobodies and or rookies paid a fraction of what JT is.

This will sound cruel, but the best option is to draft a good RB and ride him till his rookie deal is up, then draft a new one. I hate that for RBs - I really do, but it is what it is. 

Now, I’m done. 

As I said in another post (and to get this thread back on track), I believe the best option would be to trade Moss, because we’re saddled with JT now. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

IMO, Moss is only a trade possibility if the FO sees the season as a lost cause.  Who else - worth a darn - is RB1 if JT goes down?

This is backing up your point.

Some Colts fans “the Colts needs depth.”  Some of those fans when the Colts have depth a position “let’s see what the Colts can get in a trade for this depth”

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

IMO, Moss is only a trade possibility if the FO sees the season as a lost cause.  Who else - worth a darn - is RB1 if JT goes down?

Here's the problem with this….

Moss is on the last year of his rookie contract.   If the Colts don’t find a way to re-sign him, then they will lose him because next year Moss would likely go to a team that will give him a much better opportunity to play than the Colts would as their RB2.  

So the Colts may be forced to make a decision by the trade deadline, which I think is either Oct 31 or Nov 1.   So the clock is ticking loudly on a decision for  Zack Moss.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

JT was injured in week 4 against the Titans. If you don’t believe that you’re just sticking your head in the sand, and I can’t really be bothered discussing this further. 

And again you’re wrong - I’m not trashing JT at all. I had him as my forum-avatar since ‘21. I love watching RBs, especially good RBs, but I Iove my team more and historic evidence shows paying RBs top dollar on their 2nd contract doesn’t pay off.

• RBs get notoriously more injury prone after their rookie deal and production just drops. 
  • There hasn’t been a Super Bowl winner in over two decades that’s paid top dollar for a RB. 

I’m not saying JT isn’t good. I’m not saying he isn’t our best RB when up to speed. But, Moss showed the week after we paid JT why paying big money for a RB is a bad idea. 

Good RB play is more about the Oline and scheme. Many teams are wringing good production out of nobodies and or rookies paid a fraction of what JT is.

This will sound cruel, but the best option is to draft a good RB and ride him till his rookie deal is up, then draft a new one. I hate that for RBs - I really do, but it is what it is. 

Now, I’m done. 

As I said in another post (and to get this thread back on track), I believe the best option would be to trade Moss, because we’re saddled with JT now. 

In your previous post to me you said Taylor was healthy for 4 weeks.   Now in your first sentence you say he was hurt in week 4.   That is NOT the same thing.   

And showing that he averaged 1.5 yards per carry less does not prove your point, it proves mine.  That things with the Colts were so terrible in 2022, that you can’t blame the falloff on Taylor, which you do, you can blame it in the disastrous OL and terrible QB play.

You give away the weakness of your argument by writing comments like the Colts are now saddled with Taylor.   You think the Colts front office has completely blown this entirely.   You’re determined to prove you’re right.   I think you make bad arguments to prove your point.   You’re not happy the Colts signed him.   You think Irsay, Ballard and Steichen all got this wrong, but you have it right.  Hence your list of reasons that you use to make your point.  As if Colts management isn’t aware of those points.  

I’m afraid we’re going to have to agree to disagree and move on.  

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's the problem with this….

Moss is on the last year of his rookie contract.   If the Colts don’t find a way to re-sign him, then they will lose him because next year Moss would likely go to a team that will give him a much better opportunity to play than the Colts would as their RB2.  

So the Colts may be forced to make a decision by the trade deadline, which I think is either Oct 31 or Nov 1.   So the clock is ticking loudly on a decision for  Zack Moss.  

That’s why I said he won’t be traded “…unless the FO sees the season as a lost cause.”  :dunno:

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Now, I’m done. 

At best Steichen wanted JT here to help protect AR for the next 2 years till AR and his receivers got up to carrying the offense. Makes sense when all we had was Moss and leftovers. 

Now we have a waste of one of those seasons. 

The Team of Irsay and Ballard seems like something I wouldn't bet on.

11 hours ago, Solid84 said:

There were plenty of posters in here that were butthurt that we signed JT. Several posters wanted him traded and several posters were constantly talking about how the RB is irrelevant in today's game. My post wasn't really even directed at you this time. I think it was smart signing him considering he is arguably the best RB in the league and only 24. It is only for 3 years anyway + Moss is going to want to get paid and will probably go elsewhere after the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There were plenty of posters in here that were butthurt that we signed JT. Several posters wanted him traded and several posters were constantly talking about how the RB is irrelevant in today's game.

I think someone can hold those sentiments and not be "butthurt". Many people think that teams should not invest long term on running backs. Remember Todd Gurley? That guy was the next great RB. He seemed to have vanished after a few years in the league. I think he was more highly thought of than JT. Imagine having given him JT money.

I support giving JT the money but I can understand fans that may not agree with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I get it. I would actually do that with the QB position unless I have a guy that can do more with less, like Mahomes or Rodgers. I don't want my team to pay a player $40 Million if the player is one-dimentional.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think someone can hold those sentiments and not be "butthurt". Many people think that teams should not invest long term on running backs. Remember Todd Gurley? That guy was the next great RB. He seemed to have vanished after a few years in the league. I think he was more highly thought of than JT. Imagine having given him JT money.

I support giving JT the money but I can understand fans that may not agree with it.

Maybe so but I was here every day and there were some pretty upset people that we signed JT to a new deal. There were even a few that wanted us to trade him for like a 4th round pick while he still wasn't extended. 

With me, I want to make it clear, I am not defending JT because he is a Colt. I post that because I have been accused of defending Colts players in the past because they play for us. I just really believe at worse he is a top 3 RB in the league is why I defend the signing. I thought it was the right thing to do for the Giants to extend Barkley and I don't even like the Giants. Barkley is top 5 IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I get it. I would actually do that with the QB position unless I have a guy that can do more with less, like Mahomes or Rodgers. I don't want my team to pay a player $40 Million if the player is one-dimentional.

I have tried to explain over and over again, that yes RB by committee is smart but in order to do that, you need a very good- great QB to get away with having 2 above average backs splitting time. Like the Colts had in 2006 with Addai and Rhodes. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts, Lamar, Tua are QB's you can get away with not having at least one good-great RB because those QB's are very-great. In the past Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, and Brees could always get away with RB by committee because they were/are Hall of Fame QB's.

• Like 1