Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Top 10 draft pick incoming....

ThorstenDenmark

On 10/17/2023 at 12:15 PM, DougDew said:

I suggested trading for Ridder if ATL wanted to trade up to 4 for a QB (because some were insisting they wanted a new QB).  And then build out the roster with the draft picks.  Ridder is not going to be the super hero guy, but a team can win games with him, IMO.  I would not describe that as being "high" on him.  That trade scenario was in the context of us not getting Stroud and ATL wanting to trade up to get a new QB (which I didn't remotely think they wanted).

I've never wanted the Colts to draft Bennett, just like I've never wanted the Colts to draft Young.  They are both too small, IMO.  My seemingly positive comments about Bennett was in the convo about why in the world Young was thought of so highly by so many.  I didn't see the disparity, but I never wanted either of them. 

Agree that outside WR gets the better ROI.  I'm not advocating Bowers over MJHj or anybody at this point.  But I think he needs to be in the convo despite who we have in our TE room.  

No way he’s in the conversation, I don’t think the Colts would invest a pick in Bowers he’s likely going in the first round potentially early second if he slides for some reason. With all the draft capital the Colts Invested at the TE position over the past three drafts I highly doubt they take a TE that high. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello Colts fans....

Well... with Anthony Richardson´s injury which looks like season ending, and though we have a decent backup QB in Minshew.... it looks like we are heading towards another top 10 draft pick.

Why so? well looking at our remaining schedule I see us going 3-8 (6-11) at best. (Yes, im not as optimistic as other colts fans in here, so sorry for that opinion)

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

A 6-11 record will put us in the ballpark of a top 7-10 draft pick, so we might get a chance to get a really great young player once again.

So for the sake of this argument, what position should we or what is our biggest need? 

And should we just go all in and throw a bunch of picks after a player like Marvin Harrison Jr?

Of course the 2024 draft is a long way from now, but given the situation with AR, this season looks to be yet another one, where the colts don't seem to make the playoffs, which in my opinion could have looked different with AR in the field.

So colts fans... how is the mood and am I being to unrealistic?

Well... with Anthony Richardson´s injury which looks like season ending, and though we have a decent backup QB in Minshew.... it looks like we are heading towards another top 10 draft pick.

Why so? well looking at our remaining schedule I see us going 3-8 (6-11) at best. (Yes, im not as optimistic as other colts fans in here, so sorry for that opinion)

Cleveland L

Saints W

AT Panthers W

AT Patriots L

Bucks L

AT Titans L

AT Bengals L

Steelers L

AT Falcons L

Raiders W

Texans L

A 6-11 record will put us in the ballpark of a top 7-10 draft pick, so we might get a chance to get a really great young player once again. 

I had us winning this game tonight :( and now the panthers finally got their first win against houston, they might play more relaxed next week at home 😕 

Im def not saying we will lose out, but damm it looks like this season is going in the wrong direction and that we secure a top 10 selection in the draft.

On 10/24/2023 at 1:33 AM, ProblChld32 said:

No way he’s in the conversation, I don’t think the Colts would invest a pick in Bowers he’s likely going in the first round potentially early second if he slides for some reason. With all the draft capital the Colts Invested at the TE position over the past three drafts I highly doubt they take a TE that high. 

Maybe not the colts.  But the mock just posted above shows mhj going 2 and bowers going 4.  So he is in the general conversation.  

4 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Put it in neutral and coast the rest of the way. Obviously we aren't getting or developing on-field talent as fast as we must. The GM and coaching staff must be too busy doing other stuff. Players go to other teams and perform much better.

I remember a quote from Chris Ballad when Andrew Luck retired:

"It's never about one player". he said...

well without an NFL starting QB under center, and though Minshew is a decent QB, we just aren't a good team.

When we won the super bowl against the chicago bears, they had rex grossman as their qb, and he wasn't a top 10 or 15 QB in the league, but they had a very great defence and an overall good team that were well balanced, where he just had to avoid making any big mistakes.

The colts team 2023 is mediocre at best, and I wonder if this will be the last year of CB as our GM if we land another top 10 selection.

1 minute ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I remember a quote from Chris Ballad when Andrew Luck retired:

"It's never about one player". he said...

well without an NFL starting QB under center, and though Minshew is a decent QB, we just aren't a good team.

When we won the super bowl against the chicago bears, they had rex grossman as their qb, and he wasn't a top 10 or 15 QB in the league, but they had a very great defence and an overall good team that were well balanced, where he just had to avoid making any big mistakes.

The colts team 2023 is mediocre at best, and I wonder if this will be the last year of CB as our GM if we land another top 10 selection.

Being a GM has to be one of the hardest jobs. The problem is: They often see in players what they want to see, not what's really there. That is made worse by recommendations by a coaching staff with the same problem. It boils down to performance, not personalities. 

25 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

We currently have the 9th pick in the draft. Lots of great playmakers in the top 10.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

I know Marvin JR is the guy everyone wants but the Colts really need a pass rusher.  If the Colts end up in the top five I think you really have to consider it even if Marvin is there.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know Marvin JR is the guy everyone wants but the Colts really need a pass rusher.  If the Colts end up in the top five I think you really have to consider it even if Marvin is there.

Kool Aid/MHJ/Pass Rush. Stewart coming back will fix some of the woes up front. Just depends how things go I guess. Also depends if Ballard decides to have more aggression in FA than a sleeping snail. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Put it in neutral and coast the rest of the way. Obviously we aren't getting or developing on-field talent as fast as we must. The GM and coaching staff must be too busy doing other stuff. Players go to other teams and perform much better.

ballard has let some above average players go to other teams by being cheap

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed.

We have literally no pass rush.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Even if we drafted a generational player at WR like Marvin Harrison Jr, or a pass rusher.... I don't think it would be enough for the colts to become succesful and a true contender.

Since 2000, there have been 13 different QB´s who have won a super bowl.

In the next 10 years or so, I can see mahomes win 2-3 more rings/ Super Bowls, Burrow, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Tua and Purdy win at least one each, and then Jennifer Lawrence in Jacksonville might sneak one in as well.

But I just don't see the colts getting close to one as things are right now.... but I hope im wrong.

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Kool Aid/MHJ/Pass Rush. Stewart coming back will fix some of the woes up front. Just depends how things go I guess. Also depends if Ballard decides to have more aggression in FA than a sleeping snail. 

Teams don’t let really good pass rushers get to free agency.  They are like QBs on defense.  If you find one you don’t let them leave.

Grover will help the run defense but he doesn’t help the lack of pass rush and he’s also a free agent at season’s end.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I expect the Colts will go on a meaningless win streak and end up selecting 15-20.

Enough to make the fan base hopeful but they will start losing when the playoff picture is being set, keeping them out of the playoffs and giving them that 15-20 pick in the 1st Round.  

48 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Teams don’t let really good pass rushers get to free agency.  They are like QBs on defense.  If you find one you don’t let them leave.

Grover will help the run defense but he doesn’t help the lack of pass rush and he’s also a free agent at season’s end.

Yeahhhhh wasn’t talking about FA pass rushers. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Maybe not the colts.  But the mock just posted above shows mhj going 2 and bowers going 4.  So he is in the general conversation.  

Who do you like in the 2025 draft you'd like to tank for? Also, I'm sure you like someone in the 2026 draft worthy of tanking for too 

20 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Who do you like in the 2025 draft you'd like to tank for? Also, I'm sure you like someone in the 2026 draft worthy of tanking for too 

Tanking?   I haven’t said anything about tanking.   This year or last or ever.  Your butthurtedness has taken you off the rails apparently 

I haven’t looked at the 2024 players much.  Folks here have been focused on receivers for the colts so that’s the convo I’m having.  

I think if this team has the chance for a generational player, it should take him. 

I would not pass on bowers just because I want to see what woods or granson or Mallory can do.  Cox is gone and keep ogletree because we need depth anyway. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Tanking?   I haven’t said anything about tanking.   This year or last or ever.  Your butthurtedness has taken you off the rails apparently 

I haven’t looked at the 2024 players much.  Folks here have been focused on receivers for the colts so that’s the convo I’m having.  

I think if this team has the chance for a generational player, it should take him. 

I would not pass on bowers just because I want to see what woods or granson or Mallory can do.  Cox is gone and keep ogletree because we need depth anyway. 

Look what Kelce and Gronkowski have done. Sure they have great qbs but it is obvious that they r so difficult to shut down.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What bothers me the most is it could be hard to keep the guys we want to because it’s a losing culture right now. We might end up being in a bigger rebuild then we want because the ones we want of need or need yo keep won’t want to stay.  New DC could change who we kept too.

That was a mistake in keeping Ballard and Bradely. It gave Ballard another year of drafting for this ridiculous scheme. Now, they both could be gone and the players he  drafted this year may not fit the next coach's scheme that comes in. A real gong show and puts the program a year behind.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That was a mistake in keeping Ballard and Bradely. It gave Ballard another year of drafting for this ridiculous scheme. Now, they both could be gone and the players he  drafted this year may not fit the next coach's scheme that comes in. A real gong show and puts the program a year behind.

Bradley was understandable. You had a new rookie head coach so it took some pressure off. But there will probably be a change after the season.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bradley was understandable. You had a new rookie head coach so it took some pressure off. But there will probably be a change after the season.

Yeah but it's once again Ballard's arrogance in believing that the. talent he has assembled on defence is good. I have always maintained that there is a very arrogant side to Ballard. Through all of his awe shucks talk, I think he really sees himself as a draft guru. I think this is so evident in  his drafting. He has basically drafted the same type of player the last 7 years without any real success. He really hasn't learned anything.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah but it's once again Ballard's arrogance in believing that the. talent he has assembled on defence is good. I have always maintained that there is a very arrogant side to Ballard. Through all of his awe shucks talk, I think he really sees himself as a draft guru. I think this is so evident in  his drafting. He has basically drafted the same type of player the last 7 years without any real success. He really hasn't learned anything.

He was right about Brent’s and flowers. They were good. Jones had been solid.Not his fault 2 got hurt and rodgers  got suspended. Then add Grover doing something he shouldn’t.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was right about Brent’s and flowers. They were good. Jones had been solid.Not his fault 2 got hurt and rodgers  got suspended. Then add Grover doing something he shouldn’t.

Grover is a good run stuffer. This defences success is predicated on D linemen who can penetrate