Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

100%

Will, for all we know he was still injured and they we’re supposed to sign a injured player to a big contract. I mean nobody outside the organization knew if he was still injured or not it was only speculation  beyond that. So I’m not sure why you’d be angry based on that. This is extremely great news for this organization.  This is going to be fun. 

I’m glad he’s back but with him missing a quarter of the season I’m still concerned about his play this year. If you look at his previous years it has always taken him 4-5 games to get going.  I remember his first season people wanted him cut because his “ vision” was terrible. Then around the 4th game something clicked and he became the player we all love. Same for the year after that minus the calls for him to be cut. It took him a few games to start producing. Last year I’m not going to count because of obvious reasons but if history is a predictor it’s going to take him awhile to start playing well. 

10 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

No, he’s not rewarding JT. He’s improving the Colts now that 3 things have happened:

1. AR showed he’s nowhere as raw as assumed

2. JT must have shown enough in practice or other private workouts that the ankle is fully healed

3. AFC is up for grabs 

None of these were guaranteed when the drama started. I for one am thrilled. And despite the weird press conference on Thursday, I understood JT’s stance even if the media hated it.

Thank you so much for a great post. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trace Pyott said:

I’m glad he’s back but with him missing a quarter of the season I’m still concerned about his play this year. If you look at his previous years it has always taken him 4-5 games to get going.  I remember his first season people wanted him cut because his “ vision” was terrible. Then around the 4th game something clicked and he became the player we all love. Same for the year after that minus the calls for him to be cut. It took him a few games to start producing. Last year I’m not going to count because of obvious reasons but if history is a predictor it’s going to take him awhile to start playing well. 

I agree but he’ll be fresh and at that’s a positive.

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Will, for all we know he was still injured and they we’re supposed to sign a injured player to a big contract. I mean nobody outside the organization knew if he was still injured or not it was only speculation  beyond that. So I’m not sure why you’d be angry based on that. This is extremely great news for this organization.  This is going to be fun. 

He was not still injured. The day training camp opened Ballard said that he was healthy and that there would be no need to put him on the PUP. He had surgery in March with a recovery time of 8 weeks. 8 weeks from March is June. If he was still recovering at the first of September he should probably be looking for a different line of work. 

He hid behind the “injury” to engineer this holdout because it gave him 4 extra weeks to entrench himself without facing any fines for doing so. 

💯

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're looking at things at hindsight. Rookie QBs are not as far along as AR has looked and you add in losing your best player, there wasn't a lot of optimism going into the season.

I know there wasn’t but we’re beyond that now and I always knew there is a lot talent on this team and so I never believed in a rebuild . So when someone mentions one I’m like what positions do you think needs rebuilt? I’m just curious in what they think and have they looked at the whole picture. 

4 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Probably the same guys that have suggested Pittman Raimann and practically every other rookie that has ever put on a Colys uniform. Give it a few games and you'll hear it again I'm sure.

21 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Are you sure it includes 2023-2024-2025-2026 ?

Since he was already under contract for this year, and they renegotiated, wouldn't 2023 be year one of the three?

There are no rules about how this stuff gets reported, so generally it's best to wait for the details. But I would expect that the contract is for three additional years, and would expire after 2026.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I know there wasn’t but we’re beyond that now and I always knew there is a lot talent on this team and so I never believed in a rebuild . So when someone mentions one I’m like what positions do you think needs rebuilt? I’m just curious in what they think and have they looked at the whole picture. 

Well for starters, rookie QBs struggle. The oline was in question after no additions especially at depth. The weapons minus JT are Pittman and a lot of one to two year players. CB was completely inexperience with no vet additions. There were plenty of concern.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Just my 2 cents, but I believe this extension was on the table months ago, JT or his agent just tried to pry out more money.

Again, just my 2 cents... 

I believe Ballard and Irsay when they said they hadn't started negotiating or exchanging offers yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

There are no rules about how this stuff gets reported, so generally it's best to wait for the details. But I would expect that the contract is for three additional years, and would expire after 2026.

the reason I was asking is, I think I remember another time, that the team did something similar? In that instance, the extension included the current year. It is actually quite a big deal, if it includes 2026 or only 2025

21 minutes ago, cbear said:

In a worse case scenario, if things go sideways and he gets released, the cap hit would be the 26 million guaranteed money or is it the whole 42 million? 

It is likely not even the $26.5 we could get stuck with. It did not say Fully Guaranteed.

We will see what the signing bonus is and what money is Fully Guaranteed in year two. I would expect zero $$ Guaranteed in year 3.

I'll take a guess that JT was happy to sign for less than $20m fully guaranteed. This year's salary + $4m fully guaranteed in 24 so I say $16m fully guaranteed on this deal. 

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He was not still injured. The day training camp opened Ballard said that he was healthy and that there would be no need to put him on the PUP. He had surgery in March with a recovery time of 8 weeks. 8 weeks from March is June. If he was still recovering at the first of September he should probably be looking for a different line of work. 

He hid behind the “injury” to engineer this holdout because it gave him 4 extra weeks to entrench himself without facing any fines for doing so. 

💯

I’m not saying your wrong. But I also never heard Ballard say that but he could have. I’m just excited to have him back. I was 90% on Taylor’s side on this but I thought he might be faking his injury. I always thought he should  get what he deserves and he did. Could he go out and get a career ending injury now and Colts would be on the hook yes but you pay your best players and they did that. 

14 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

WR is in the process of being rebuilt, TE, CB, S, and LB is iffy.

What will be the evaluation of C, RG, and RT after the season.

Call it whatever you wish.

JT must produce consistently at a very high level and help make us SB relevant at some point. That should be the goal and expectation from the top down if they love what they are seeing from Steichen and AR. I can vision the possibility 😏 so it's time for yeah rah sis bomb boom Go Colts!

58 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Wow!

The #Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a massive 3-year, $42M extension, locking him in at the top of the RB market and mending fences after a tumultuous period. $26.5M guaranteed.

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1710691873759621438?s=61&t=pY1uS5n6JgnikELv7qQZPQ

Well I called for 3 years, 13 mil average, half guaranteed so I was very close. Not sure I’d done JT after his shenanigans but oh well

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

So in essence, 3 yr plus this year for total of 4 years, averages out to around $12M per year, with about half guaranteed.   Sounds about right.

Yeah, that's the way i interpreted it. 

3yr $42m starts next season.

Have 1yr $4.3m this season.

So a 4yr $46.3m deal over next 4 seasons. So about $11.58m AAV including this season.

Not sure if there is a signing bonus yet, but if so, I would anticipate Taylor's base to go to minimum this year 

So:

2023 - $4.3m SB - $813k cap hit $5.1m

2024 - $13.137m tag projection

2025 - $16.421m tag projection w/ 125% bump

2026 - $12.442m 

Franchise Tag projections based off OtC site. I think they will come in lower than that. Making that 26 season closer to $15-$16m.

Anyway that would be guaranteed money through 2024 and a little over half of 2025 number.

***Just my guess, not actual details.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

the reason I was asking is, I think I remember another time, that the team did something similar? In that instance, the extension included the current year. It is actually quite a big deal, if it includes 2026 or only 2025

It's certainly a relevant detail when comes to cap management, and one that's often overlooked. But usually these initial reports are based on information from the agents, and it's in their best interests to report the more favorable terms publicly. So this is reported as a $14m/year contract. But if it's actually covering 4 seasons, it's actually more like $11.6m/year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Your a tough critic of our current players that’s for sure. But every year you try to improve and every position is evaluated but I wouldn’t call it a rebuild. There is at least 20 to 30 percent turnover every year on about every team. 

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

TE one of our strengths we go 5 deep in quality. In fact too much and someone has to go likely MAC

Linebacker room is close to elite. Franklin a tackling machine,Speed gets better each season and Leonard while not the Leonard of old currently would start for all the other 31 clubs.

Corner we are young and with Rodgers suspension and Flowers injury younger then we had anticipated. Brents has looked good in limited time we have seen, have to see what Jones/Baker/Hall may bring.

Safety weakest spot,still say we need Nick Cross in the lineup asap.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well for starters, rookie QBs struggle. The oline was in question after no additions especially at depth. The weapons minus JT are Pittman and a lot of one to two year players. CB was completely inexperience with no vet additions. There were plenty of concern.

Yes, but there is no perfect so I agree with you. 

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

TE one of our strengths we go 5 deep in quality. In fact too much and someone has to go likely MAC

Linebacker room is close to elite. Franklin a tackling machine,Speed gets better each season and Leonard while not the Leonard of old currently would start for all the other 31 clubs.

Corner we are young and with Rodgers suspension and Flowers injury younger then we had anticipated. Brents has looked good in limited time we have seen, have to see what Jones/Baker/Hall may bring.

Safety weakest spot,still say we need Nick Cross in the lineup asap.

I agree. 

Just now, Superman said:

It's certainly a relevant detail when comes to cap management, and one that's often overlooked. But usually these initial reports are based on information from the agents, and it's in their best interests to report the more favorable terms publicly. So this is reported as a $14m/year contract. But if it's actually covering 4 seasons, it's actually more like $11.6m/year.

Colts don't have the money this year($6.1m) w/o back loading contract and or restructuring someone else, to have it be a 3yr deal replacing the old one.

It most certainly is 3yr additional(4 year total). I'm sure you expect that as well.

• Like 1

Just now, superrep1967 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But I also never heard Ballard say that but he could have. I’m just excited to have him back. I was 90% on Taylor’s side on this but I thought he might be faking his injury. I always thought he should  get what he deserves and he did. Could he go out and get a career ending injury now and Colts would be on the hook yes but you pay your best players and they did that. 

Ballard made those comments in his camp opening presser. Taylor reported to camp late. It wasn’t obscenely late, I want to say it was less than an hour, but he reported late, and then later that afternoon when he was officially placed on the PUP there was quite a hubub about it because it flew directly in the face of what we’d heard just a few hours before from Ballard himself. 

There was a legitimate injury, no one disputes that. But he should have been good to go by the first of July at the very latest. 

Remember, very early on in all of this there was allegedly an injury that took place away from the team. I’ve always kind of felt like they (JT and his agent,) concocted that story because they knew that saying it was still the ankle after all that time was silly. But once they found out that the Colts could void this year of his contract because of an injury that took place away from the team they had to pivot and go back to the ankle. Because the ankle had in fact been injured it gave them a faint shred of plausible deniability to hide behind and they took advantage of it. It allowed him to hold out all of camp and the first 4 weeks free of fines, which is a mighty convenient bonus for a holdout. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1