Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

1 hour ago, ShuteAt168 said:

So CB rewards JT for all his nonsense and pays a RB big money — a move he could have made a month ago. Decisions like this are why Ballard is 47-54-1. 

The Colts know much more about Taylor’s health and attitude than they did a month or two ago. 

And a decision this big is NOT Ballard’s alone.   This was done with full support of Irsay.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

So:

2023 - $4.3m SB - $813k cap hit $5.1m

2024 - $13.137m tag projection

2025 - $16.421m tag projection w/ 125% bump

2026 - $12.442m 

Actually changing projection. $12m SB

2023 - $1m base, $3.8m SB  - $4.8m cap hit

2024 - $3m base, $3m SB, $6m RB - 12m cap hit

2025 - $5m base, $3m SB, $6m RB - $14m cap hit

2026 - $13m base, $3m SB - $16 cap hit (can free up $13m  if we were to move on)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Bad contract in my opinion I would of let him walk and replace him in the draft for 1/8th the price. 

1/8th of 14 million would be like a day 3 round 5 or later pick...

I don't think Elite RBs would be easily available that late in the draft, it depends on the kind of draft class and then that guy will need to be all as advertised or much more. Usually you'll end up with RBs who would be good in committee, and wouldn't exactly replace someone like JT. 

The thing here is, when you've a franchise QB in his rookie deal, you get some luxury to lock in your best players.

I'll agree with your viewpoint, when Richardson gets paid 50 million a year, and the team would need to be really very creative to build a great roster around him while managing the cap pretty well. 

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Ballard made those comments in his camp opening presser. Taylor reported to camp late. It wasn’t obscenely late, I want to say it was less than an hour, but he reported late, and then later that afternoon when he was officially placed on the PUP there was quite a hubub about it because it flew directly in the face of what we’d heard just a few hours before from Ballard himself. 

There was a legitimate injury, no one disputes that. But he should have been good to go by the first of July at the very latest. 

Remember, very early on in all of this there was allegedly an injury that took place away from the team. I’ve always kind of felt like they (JT and his agent,) concocted that story because they knew that saying it was still the ankle after all that time was silly. But once they found out that the Colts could void this year of his contract because of an injury that took place away from the team they had to pivot and go back to the ankle. Because the ankle had in fact been injured it gave them a faint shred of plausible deniability to hide behind and they took advantage of it. It allowed him to hold out all of camp and the first 4 weeks free of fines, which is a mighty convenient bonus for a holdout. 

Give it up. He's a Colt whether you like it or not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

Fresh? Sure. But he hasn’t been hit in nearly a year. Is he in football shape? Well we are all going to find out and I’m sure the Titans will be ready.

I agree with you actually. But we really don’t know how things are going to play out. But he does need to get that first hit out the way. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts know much more about Taylor’s health and attitude than they did a month or two ago. 

And a decision this big is NOT Ballard’s alone.   This was done with full support of Irsay.   

Are you serious? JT has shown an attitude worth rewarding in the last month? Lol. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And Streichen and the whole team. The coaches and the team leaders have expressed how glad they are that he was coming back.

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I agree with you actually. But we really don’t know how things are going to play out. But he does need to get that first hit out the way. 

He's been hit quite a big and very hard on this board but I guess that doesn't count heh!haha

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

1/8th of 14 million would be like a day 3 round 5 or later pick...

I don't think Elite RBs would be easily available that late in the draft, it depends on the kind of draft class and then that guy will need to be all as advertised or much more. Usually you'll end up with RBs who would be good in committee, and wouldn't exactly replace someone like JT. 

The thing here is, when you've a franchise QB in his rookie deal, you get some luxury to lock in your best players.

I'll agree with your viewpoint, when Richardson gets paid 50 million a year, and the team would need to be really very creative to build a great roster around him while managing the cap pretty well. 

Draft a 5th rounder and resign Moss.  The extra money can be used to improve the rest of the roster. I’m in the philosophy that no RB is worth over 10 million except McCaffrey but he also is an amazing receiver. That money is better used at WR. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zoltan said:

Draft a 5th rounder and resign Moss.  The extra money can be used to improve the rest of the roster. I’m in the philosophy that no RB is worth over 10 million except McCaffrey but he also is an amazing receiver. That money is better used at WR. 

I don't disagree, but it seems like a debate for another day. The Colts signaled a long time ago that they'd be willing to pay JT, so they aren't on the same page philosophically. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think JT will get more recieving opportunities with Shane.   We will see

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It seems Colts should of waited until next week to have Taylor speak to the media lol.

Pittman and Grove need done. 

Don’t rule out Moore either.  Will be interesting to see if they can keep all four or if they even want to keep all four.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It seems Colts should of waited until next week to have Taylor speak to the media lol.

Pittman and Grove need done. 

Yea, I'm 50/50 on Kenny cause he's already asked for more, but we also don't need another hole in the secondary. 

• Like 1

Just now, Matabix said:

Yea, I'm 50/50 on Kenny cause he's already asked for more, but we also don't need another hole in the secondary. 

I could care about players asking for more.  I am more interested in how they play on the field and at least so far this year Kenny has been very good on the field.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Well that’s not what the Colts are doing so we will have to live with it.  

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The biggest downside of all this is this agent being involved. This dude seems insufferable.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. He’ll be more involved with the NFL now with this result. 

Yeah, the agent doesn't come across as a professional.

More like he lucked into doing his dad's business. 

3 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Anyone good with cap space figure out what our cap space would be if we resigned Kenny and Grove 15% increase and Pittman with 8th highest WR contract?

Remember we are paying Ryan still this year. Then don’t rule out Leonard not bring himself by end of season and they decide to part ways with him too. I remember seeing we have a ton of cap next year. Plus we have some DE that a decision will have to be made soon. 

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Worth mentioning they know more about their offense now than they did a few weeks ago too.  What we’ve seen are the big pass plays have followed effective running by Moss.  So I think that made the Colts feel more comfortable with extending Taylor because they need a good running back to make the offense work.  I also think they watched Moss’s runs and went he’s been good but man what would the offense be like if we had a back with the home run ability that Taylor gives you.

• Like 3

Just now, horseshoecrabs said:

I'm happier for Richardson, the man deserves more possible weapons on offense to get his lack of on field experience up to speed and also open up a better passing game with the running game threat now.

It also helps Richardson not have to run so much and play Superman too. Then add having Richardson will also help JT and extend his career too. Both will be able to share the running of the football.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Remember we are paying Ryan still this year. Then don’t rule out Leonard not bring himself by end of season and they decide to part ways with him too. I remember seeing we have a ton of cap next year. Plus we have some DE that a decision will have to be made soon. 

And other moves can be done to free up cap space if needed.  While the salary cap isn’t limitless teams have LOTS of tricks to make it work to pay players they want to pay.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

And other moves can be done to free up cap space if needed.  While the salary cap isn’t limitless teams have LOTS of tricks to make it work to pay players they want to pay.

I think if colts can just fix the secondary next year they will be in a good spot. Maybe add another WR but I will wait until the end of the season to see where we are at with that. Secondary is the major weakness right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Trying to figure out next year's cap, I know we got 55 mil next year before JTs signing.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think if colts can just fix the secondary next year they will be in a good spot. Maybe add another WR but I will wait until the end of the season to see where we are at with that. Secondary is the major weakness right now.

Secondary is also extremely young.  They SHOULD get better the more playing time they get.

30 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I'm not opposed to that philosophy.

But, I don't see such a Wide Receiver in this roster who's worth paying 20+ million. Unless you're hanging by the hope that it would be proved in the future. 

In the end, it seems like just paying WR position because it's more important will only waste the money you want to save here.

My philosophy is more relaxed about the position, but the player has to be Elite already if you're going to pay Elite money. Otherwise, it's a waste of money and cap hit and it would ruin any hope of building a quality roster. 

Just now, Matabix said:

Trying to figure out next year's cap, I know we got 55 mil next year before JTs signing.

I thought I remember something like 70 million but can’t remember exactly. It will go fast once they decide on extending current players but they should have some room for a FA or two.secondary maybe a young vet and draft to fix that.