Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can’t have a bunch of undrafted corners. They need to invest money or high draft capital there. Blackmon is A FA too. Need someone to go with Brent’s. 

They don’t.  Both Brents and Jones were drafted and in Brents case drafted high.  The safeties outside of Thomas have been higher end draft picks too.  Baker is a stop gap so I am not concerned about him long term.  Flowers undrafted or not played well before his injury and that’s the important part.  The other corners are Moore who is a former pro-bowler playing well this year and Brown who is a back up slot guy and I am fine with that guy being an undrafted free agent.

This is the weirdest thing ever. Why did we go through all this nonsense, if you are going to reward him for the stuff he pulled before he's even proven he's healthy and back to his top form? What does that tell every other player you refuse to give contract at the exact moment they decide they need it and at the exact terms they decide they want? It tells them - sit out, fake injury, miss games while being paid for them... and Ballard will pay you. 

I don't get the timing and the number and ... anything of this really. 

Ballard just took a big smelly dump on everything he's said this off-season. He wanted to see him healthy, he wanted to see him play for the new coach and system, he didn't want to reward anyone after 4 wins season. Scratch all of this... we just went through 4 months of nonsense for him to just give him the contract he could have given him in April.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stitches said:

This is the weirdest thing ever. Why did we go through all this nonsense, if you are going to reward him for the stuff he pulled before you he's even proven he's healthy and back to his top form? What does that tell every other player you refuse to give contract at the exact moment they decide they need it and at the exact terms they decide they want? It tells them - sit out, fake injury, miss games while being paid for them... and Ballard will pay you. 

I think the poster that said colts offered him a deal months ago and him and his agent messed it up might be correct. Colts just wanted to see him healthy first. So exaggerating a injury just prolonged the extension being done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is the weirdest thing ever. Why did we go through all this nonsense, if you are going to reward him for the stuff he pulled before you he's even proven he's healthy and back to his top form? What does that tell every other player you refuse to give contract at the exact moment they decide they need it and at the exact terms they decide they want? It tells them - sit out, fake injury, miss games while being paid for them... and Ballard will pay you. 

We’ll never know what we didn’t know and my guess in this case there will be a lot of that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Trying to figure out next year's cap, I know we got 55 mil next year before JTs signing.

It's actually closer to $70-$86m next year before JTs contract.

Spotrac  have the salary cap projected at $240m

Over the Cap has it at $256m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They don’t.  Both Brents and Jones were drafted and in Brents case drafted high.  The safeties outside of Thomas have been higher end draft picks too.  Baker is a stop gap so I am not concerned about him long term.  Flowers undrafted or not played well before his injury and that’s the important part.  The other corners are Moore who is a former pro-bowler playing well this year and Brown who is a back up slot guy and I am fine with that guy being an undrafted free agent.

Jones is a 7th round draft pick. I look for them to invest money and high picks in the secondary during the off-season. Maybe even a trade before deadline.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jones is a 7th round draft pick. I look for them to incest money and high picks in the secondary during the off-season. Maybe even a trade before deadline.

Doubt there is a trade this year but I could easily see another high pick next year in the secondary.  Jones played extremely well in the pre-season though and if he continues that play now that he’s play that might not be needed.  That’s my point these guys are young and should get better as the season goes along.  Gotta see what you have before you decide for sure you need to get one next year.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Doubt there is a trade this year but I could easily see another high pick next year in the secondary.  Jones played extremely well in the pre-season though and if he continues that play now that he’s play that might not be needed.  That’s my point these guys are young and should get better as the season goes along.  Gotta see what you have before you decide for sure you need to get one next year.

I would like to see a first round pick used on Safety or corner if there is one there worthy of that first  round pick. Then go pay a proven young FA if there is one.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ballard will no doubt talk about this soon and I think we will get a strong clue to why things suddenly turn from nasty to a massive extension.

I think the comeback (almost) play by Richardson against LA Rams made Shane/Ballard/Irsay go, ok this dude could be legit so let’s crank it up a notch and extend Taylor.

If they didn’t feel good about Richardson, they would need that memory in reserve for a QB plan B backup plan. Also, Irsay is a hopeless romantic and probably let his heart decide to fix the conflict and extend Taylor which he no doubt love despite what went down.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Ballard will no doubt talk about this soon and I think we will get a strong clue to why things suddenly turn from nasty to a massive extension.

I think the comeback (almost) play by Richardson against LA Rams made Shane/Ballard/Irsay go, ok this dude could be legit so let’s crank it up a notch and extend Taylor.

If they didn’t feel good about Richardson, they would need that memory in reserve for a QB plan B backup plan. Also, Irsay is a hopeless romantic and probably let his heart decide to fit the conflict and extend Taylor which he no doubt love despite what went down.

I think a lot of the nasty was media driven by people talking about the story and reporting what “sources” were saying who may or may not have known exactly what was going on.  We never heard from JT directly during it and Ballard never struck a nasty tone with Taylor when he talked.  Irsay had one miss step but even that miss step was blown out of proportion by the media that either had an axe to grind with Irsay or wanted a story.  

The Colts official message through the whole thing was they wanted Taylor back and wouldn’t rule out paying him and Taylor’s agent (closest we got to hearing from Taylor directly) pretty much kept saying Taylor deserves to be paid and that’s what happened.

• Like 2

As I've said all along - the Colts NEEDED TO KNOW that Jonathan Taylor was FULLY RECOVERED from his ankle injury & surgery.

I wish everyone involved would have practiced a little patience and "zipped their lips" until the "due diligence" was done.

Gregg Doyel can "kiss my grits" with his anti-JT rhetoric!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would like to see a first round pick used on Safety or corner if there is one there worthy of that first  round pick. Then go pay a proven young FA if there is one.

FWIW I saw a podcast suggesting a trade of Budda Baker to the Colts at the deadline.  They seem to think he would be the perfect addition to the secondary.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I always thought they wanted to extend him, based on their comments. But I wanted him to at least play before this was done.

But I also think the coincidences in this situation make it an outlier. JT is a RB, he was hurt last year, we hired a new HC, and drafted a new QB. And all those specifics factored in to the way this went. Especially the RB part, because the trend was favoring not paying RBs. Pittman, for example, doesn't have to worry about that trend as a WR, so he's less likely to be inclined to go as hard in a standoff.

I also don't think the Colts get caught up in contract disputes very often, partly because they tend to pay their good, young players early. For better or for worse. And that been established since the Polian days, and has been Ballard's MO as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let’s pretend Taylor was healthy for camp. All he had to do was show up for camp and show he was healthy and he would of had this extension done before the season started.

Either Ballard massively screwed up the initial talks and didn't convey to Taylor and his agent that we are willing to give him a contract as soon as he passes a physical... OR everything Ballard was saying this whole off-season about why we haven't offered contract was compelete and utter nonsense. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I always thought they wanted to extend him, based on their comments. But I wanted him to at least play before this was done.

But I also think the coincidences in this situation make it an outlier. JT is a RB, he was hurt last year, we hired a new HC, and drafted a new QB. And all those specifics factored in to the way this went. Especially the RB part, because the trend was favoring not paying RBs. Pittman, for example, doesn't have to worry about that trend as a WR, so he's less likely to be inclined to go as hard in a standoff.

I also don't think the Colts get caught up in contract disputes very often, partly because they tend to pay their good, young players early. For better or for worse. And that been established since the Polian days, and has been Ballard's MO as well. 

Yep that’s what I wanted as well as it made sense but I am not going to lose my mind over this (not that you are) because like I said before they do know what the offense looks like a little better than they did a few weeks ago.  The big pass plays have for the most part followed effective running by Moss so I think that told the Colts they need a running game from the running back in this offense.  I also think they watched Moss and while he’s been very good he’s not the home run threat Taylor is and thought man what could this offense be with Taylor’s home run threat and I think that might have been what pushed them over the edge on this and thought man let’s just get this done and get Taylor out there happy.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Either Ballard massively screwed up the initial talks and didn't convey to Taylor and his agent that we are willing to give him a contract as soon as he passes a physical... OR everything Ballard was saying this whole off-season about why we haven't offered contract was compelete and utter nonsense. 

It is also entirely possible that the Colts have had this offer on the table all along and that JT and his agent wanted more. And they held out for a trade as long as they could before finally caving. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Or Ballard and Irsay capitulated and agreed to an extension a little bit sooner than they initially intended. 

I doubt that they intended to extend him as soon as he passed a physical. And I don't think they should have indicated that in the first place. I also think that what Ballard said all along tracked logically. I just think the team made a concession in order to repair the relationship, and did the extension a few weeks before they were expecting to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Or Ballard and Irsay capitulated and agreed to an extension a little bit sooner than they initially intended. 

I doubt that they intended to extend him as soon as he passed a physical. And I don't think they should have indicated that in the first place. I also think that what Ballard said all along tracked logically. I just think the team made a concession in order to repair the relationship, and did the extension a few weeks before they were expecting to.

So what was the point of all this drama and negative PR FOR BOTH parties for 4 months? The Colts and especially Ballard look like amateurs who don't know how to do their business right now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep that’s what I wanted as well as it made sense but I am not going to lose my mind over this (not that you are) because like I said before they do know what the offense looks like a little better than they did a few weeks ago.  The big pass plays have for the most part followed effective running by Moss so I think that told the Colts they need a running game from the running back in this offense.  I also think they watched Moss and while he’s been very good he’s not the home run threat Taylor is and thought man what could this offense be with Taylor’s home run threat and I think that might have been what pushed them over the edge on man let’s just get this done and get Taylor out there happy.

I was looking for some old tweets about this situation yesterday, and came across a couple of highlight reels. I have to admit that I had the same thought. JT is one of the most dynamic RBs in the league. Moss seems reliable and productive, but he's nothing special as an athlete. Those 8, 10, 15 yard gains he's been getting could be TDs with Taylor's speed (assuming he still has it). 

And they've seen what it looks like with Richardson, Steichen's offense will work, he absolutely intends to use RBs every week despite Richardson being a dual threat QB, etc. 

So they compromised. And now the drama is over. Until the next thing happens...

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

All smiles 😎

This looks AI generated.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Give it up. He's a Colt like it or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

It's not that simple. Clearly the colts wanted to see the product on the field first before throwing big money. Obviously they like the steps AR has taken and their envisioning a win now mindset with the tandem of AR and JT instead of embracing a rebuild. I don't think this deal gets done if AR struggles and the colts are winless.

Yep.  Nailed it.  The situation is different than it was a month ago.  

Ballard said that we'll see.  He has seen that AR is coming along and there is a chance to win a decent amount of games.  If there were signs of needing a complete rebuild, you don't sign a start RB in that case.

• Like 1

BTW... that press-conference yesterday... WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?! It's even weirder now than it was yesterday. Why would you give those answers if him and the team were on the final stretch of a contract extension? Did this come about... like literally today? Did Ballard just decide to give him contract today(or yesterday after he talked???!?!?)?

• Like 3