Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Moss Appreciation

Scott Pennock

I was giddy when we traded Hines for him last year as we did not capitalize on Hines abilities when he was here. 

Moss arrived with very little fanfare and has done nothing but produce when asked too! 

I think most folks don’t realize that he left Utah as the all time leading rusher in school history and was also competent out of the backfield. He tested poorly at the combine so that dropped him to the third round.

Look at the running style in his highlights - it’s the same slow play hesitation and hit the hole hard style you see on Sundays right now - and a lot of RPO’s!

Sinorice and Santana Moss are his cousins as well as Patrick Peterson and they all ran between 4.31 and 4.40 40’s……so Zach’s 4.65 seems off to me! 

He finished his last three years at Utah going over 1000 yards, averaging like 5.7 per carry and 10 yards per reception as well.

While he is not as dynamic as JT I think he is good enough to be our lead back - maybe not 98% of the workload lead back, but definitely a solid 70% split with Sermon or Funk would be good enough for the Colts to run their offense.

I am not even remotely convinced that JT plays this year for us or anyone else for that matter. Time will tell. If he does play then the combo of him and Moss will be deadly for opposing defenses!

Anyway, I certainly appreciate what he brings to the team as a starter or a change of pace back!!!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I was giddy when we traded Hines for him last year as we did not capitalize on Hines abilities when he was here. 

Moss arrived with very little fanfare and has done nothing but produce when asked too! 

I think most folks don’t realize that he left Utah as the all time leading rusher in school history and was also competent out of the backfield. He tested poorly at the combine so that dropped him to the third round.

Look at the running style in his highlights - it’s the same slow play hesitation and hit the hole hard style you see on Sundays right now - and a lot of RPO’s!

Sinorice and Santana Moss are his cousins as well as Patrick Peterson and they all ran between 4.31 and 4.40 40’s……so Zach’s 4.65 seems off to me! 

He finished his last three years at Utah going over 1000 yards, averaging like 5.7 per carry and 10 yards per reception as well.

While he is not as dynamic as JT I think he is good enough to be our lead back - maybe not 98% of the workload lead back, but definitely a solid 70% split with Sermon or Funk would be good enough for the Colts to run their offense.

I am not even remotely convinced that JT plays this year for us or anyone else for that matter. Time will tell. If he does play then the combo of him and Moss will be deadly for opposing defenses!

Anyway, I certainly appreciate what he brings to the team as a starter or a change of pace back!!!!!

We also got Mallory ( who I think will also be very good eventually) in that trade.

• Like 1

Moss has been a life saver for this team….. so far. Will Taylor return? I think so. Only a desperate team would trade for him now. He can only cash in if he shows he still has the juice. And that means playing for the Colts. 
So I expect a shared backfield between Moss and Taylor once Taylor gets into playing shape. Will the Colts keep Moss as the lead back? So long as he keeps producing, I’ll bet they do. He’s earned it. The Colts’ backfield is gonna get interesting real fast after this week!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When used at BUF as their RB, I thought he was very good RB....couldn't figure why he wasn't on the field more than he was.  Small-ish and injury prone at BUF, but high quality when on the field.  I was happy to see the swap for Moss especially considering what we gave up.

I wish the Colts would find another RB just like him as our #1 RB, except bigger and more durable.  Then let Moss have the lighter work load.

• Like 1

Moss is a great number 2 back.  Glad we have him.  But I can’t wait for Taylor to return.  Then we’ll have a great running back room.  I’m expecting Taylor to be the bell cow back again with Moss spelling him when he needs it.  You play your playmakers.  And he’s our only bonafide one right now.  There are only so many plays in a game.  You want your playmakers out there for as many of them as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Honestly, Moss is basically a better Derrick Henry at this point. That sounds crazy, but he can get 30 carries in a game, and just dominate on the ground while being ok in the passing game. Henry generally gets around 4 ypc. Moss did yesterday what Henry did his whole career on the Titans every game.

33 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, Moss is basically a better Derrick Henry at this point. That sounds crazy, but he can get 30 carries in a game, and just dominate on the ground while being ok in the passing game. Henry generally gets around 4 ypc. Moss did yesterday what Henry did his whole career on the Titans every game.

It sounds crazy because it IS crazy.   Sorry.  

Moss gets 30 carries in a game once and you’re calling him a BETTER version of Derrick Henry who has been great pretty much his entire career.   

One game vs a career. 

Come on now…..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Kind words giving Moss his due.

Gotta get the pass blocking sharper but he can slow them down when he gets there.

I really appreciate his effort.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

i personally think we see JT play this season for us, and then he moves on to get his contract. with that being said, im very happy with moss, and ballard definitely wins that trade, hands down 

ballard really did have a good offseason if you look at what he did during last season, the offseason, and thus far with the draft and supplemental FA

• Like 2

I think Moss has done great, esp coming off a broken arm. He def fits behind this O-Line. 

I hope they get Sermon up to speed fast (shouldn't be too hard since he's played in Steichen Offense before) so they can give Moss a breather once in awhile. I think he will be even better once he gets less of a workload. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

Agreed - the Colts signed Hines to an extension - and - then failed to use him in a way that benefitted his skill set.

That's on the previous coaching staff - and - not GM Chris Ballard.

I think Zack Moss deserves some kudos for his performances in a Colts uniform.

He does.  Let’s hope fans don’t turn on him when he loses his first fumble or fails on an important play in the game.  Long season ahead.

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

He’s been pretty good , my concern is durability. I don’t think his body can sustain the amount of touches he’s getting. If he goes down we are looking pretty bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like what Zack Moss has done so far.

2 games, 48 attempts, 210 yards, 4.4 yards/attempt, catching 6 of 7 targets for 42 yards, and a TD.

He's doing what a RB needs to do:  convert the 1st down, keep the clock running, keep the defense off the field, and give the opposing linebackers a legitimate reason to respect the play action.

Yes, JT has the home run ability that Moss doesn't.  But I'm happy with what Moss is bringing to the table.

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I wasn't sold on the Hines and Moss trade either. When that trade happened I was like I are you fing kidding me!! Man I have been eating a ton of Crow over this team. I'm proud of it I don't care when I'm wrong. I hope I'm eating the largest bucket of Crow when AR proves me wrong. Finger licking good!! Go Colts!

Hungry Kentucky Fried Chicken GIF by KFC India

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Always said we won that trade minute it was made, watch a lot of Pac 12 ball and he was legit for Utah. Isnt going to have many 60-70 yard runs BUT he will get whats blocked for and fight for extra yards every time.

I love what he brings to the ground and pound game. I only worry he doesn't have JT speed so he going to take a lot of hard hits. He doesn't have the homerun runs to the house. But praying he can stay healthy.

In Moss's (5) starts for the Colts he has put up the following numbers.

93 carries, 463yds, 2 TDs, 4.98ypc, 29 first downs

Avg - 18.6 cpg, 92.6ypg, 5.8 first downs per game

10 rec, 54yds, 1 TD, 2 first downs

92.6 projected out for 17 games is 1574yds

Solid numbers, first 2 starts touches we're down a little too, to help drop these a little bit.

100 yards per game from scrimmage, almost 5ypc.

Not saying he would go for 1500, but not saying he wouldn't if given the opportunity and stayed healthy either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

In Moss's (5) starts for the Colts he has put up the following numbers.

93 carries, 463yds, 2 TDs, 4.98ypc, 29 first downs

Avg - 18.6 cpg, 92.6ypg, 5.8 first downs per game

10 rec, 54yds, 1 TD, 2 first downs

92.6 projected out for 17 games is 1574yds

Solid numbers, first 2 starts touches we're down a little too, to help drop these a little bit.

100 yards per game from scrimmage, almost 5ypc.

Not saying he would go for 1500, but not saying he wouldn't if given the opportunity and stayed healthy either.

I also think he played game one we would have won..JMO:default_20smile:

• Like 3

I'm not going to rub salt into the wound. I forgiven Jackson, but two fumbles geez:Cry:It's done and over. I am still upset but we gotta move on. We should be 3-0 what can we do? Nothing! We going to be 3-1 and still in first place after this weekend.. That's something we can do..:default_20smile:

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No doubt we probably win that game. Especially with that fumble Jackson had. If he hadnt fumbled we probably score and game is over. We would of had great field position. Still makes me mad because colts should be 3-0.

Two fumbles by Jackson ruined us

7 hours ago, EasyE said:

I wasn't sold on the Hines and Moss trade either. When that trade happened I was like I are you fing kidding me!! Man I have been eating a ton of Crow over this team. I'm proud of it I don't care when I'm wrong. I hope I'm eating the largest bucket of Crow when AR proves me wrong. Finger licking good!! Go Colts!

Hungry Kentucky Fried Chicken GIF by KFC India

Mmmmmm KFC Chicken Homer Drool GIF-must eat Chicken.

21 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think Moss has done great, esp coming off a broken arm. He def fits behind this O-Line. 

I hope they get Sermon up to speed fast (shouldn't be too hard since he's played in Steichen Offense before) so they can give Moss a breather once in awhile. I think he will be even better once he gets less of a workload. 

He sees things better with this OL. The saying used to be "if you have a very good OL, any RB can run behind it" and that is not the case. The RB still needs to be patient and have the vision and power when facing contact to get valuable yards. It seems like Zach Moss is a good fit for us. The % of snaps is obviously not sustainable but he is good enough to play 50% of the snaps, IMO. If Steichen's stint with Philly is any indication, where Sanders and Gainwell and Boston Scott were used with truly no bell cow in tandem with a QB that could run, Zach Moss definitely fits the bill. 

But then, if you see the upside, JT and Moss would make one heck of a tandem like Chubb and Hunt were for the Browns. It would increase both their longevity and mileage but unfortunately, the contract would have to be similar too, like Chubb's 3 year $36 mil. contract. That should be the ceiling for JT, whether he likes it or not. Ballard likes giving out 4 year contracts, so 4 years $48 mil. is likely JT's market value ceiling and JT should be happy if he gets that.

Shaq Leonard's is still a bad contract, IMO. They need to start converting some of his salary to signing bonuses soon. I see the Chiefs' LBs fly, and teams have been able to draft or get LBs cheaper playing specific roles.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:11 PM, John Hammonds said:

I like what Zack Moss has done so far.

2 games, 48 attempts, 210 yards, 4.4 yards/attempt, catching 6 of 7 targets for 42 yards, and a TD.

He's doing what a RB needs to do:  convert the 1st down, keep the clock running, keep the defense off the field, and give the opposing linebackers a legitimate reason to respect the play action.

Yes, JT has the home run ability that Moss doesn't.  But I'm happy with what Moss is bringing to the table.

And doesn’t put the Rock on the Ground!

I remember being upset with Chris Ballard when he traded away Nyheim Hines for Zack Moss. I didn't know about Nyheim wanting out of Indy at the time but either way, I was still heartbroken. Zack Moss has been phenomenal this season and has made me forget all about Nyheim Hines. Hopefully, he'll remain a member of the Colts for a very long time.