Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Ravens post game thread

GoColts8818

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Its happened for years. Remember NE last year?

It didn’t happen for years.  Just two years ago the Colts line one was one of the best in football.  Last year seemed to be more of an issue with philosophy which is why the oline coach was fired.  Kelly also said he was severally under weight last year and his struggles last year were more related to just not being big enough and getting pushed around.  This year he has his weight back and has played extremely well.  The New England game last year was guys just not making blocks that not the samething as not getting the protection set.  The whole line couldn’t pick up a stunt, again that’s not Kelly pointing out blitzers that appeared to be an issue with how they were being coached and thats why that coach isn’t back this year.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Random thoughts from the game:

• Moss showing that we really don't need to extend JT.
  • Pierce showing that he can be replaced.  (Dude, look what happened to Jackson and Baker.)
  • How in the world do you call Delay Of Game when the official is standing over the ball, not letting you snap it?
  • We weren't supposed to win this game.  Don't the Colts know that we're supposed to be tanking for Marvin 2.0?  I think we just took ourselves out of the Marvin sweepstakes.
  • This is the reason we paid so much for a kicker.  A top notch kicker will make a difference in 2 or 3 games a season.
  • I told my family I would take them to Dairy Queen if the Colts won.  (You get ice cream!  And you get ice cream!  And you get ice cream!)

Disagree completely about JT.  I don't know how or if we can work things out with him, but I hope we do.  I'm not saying we should break the bank and overpay him, but Moss had 30 carries today and is basically our only real choice at RB right now.  He's going to get worn down.  He's got like 98% of our carries since we benched and then released Jackson.  He's been good, but JT adds a home run threat that Moss doesn't have.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It didn’t happen for years.  Just two years ago the Colts line one was one of the best in football.  Last year seemed to be more of an issue with philosophy which is why the oline coach was fired.  Kelly also said he was severally under weight last year and his struggles last year were more related to just not being big enough and getting pushed around.  This year he has his weight back and has played extremely well.  The New England game last year was guys just not making blocks that not the samething as not getting the protection set.  The whole line couldn’t pick up a stunt, again that’s not Kelly pointing out blitzers that appeared to be an issue with how they were being coached and thats why that coach isn’t back this year.

Believe what you want. Kelly will be back this week or next. And I hope you are right, that then everything should be just fine with our stopping blitzes and stunts. Since now opposing DCs will watch this film and be licking their chops

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brents missed a lot of time in camp and looked bad in the pre-season so Baker kinda won it by default.

35 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Yeah. It makes me believe he was just the temporary starter lol. Keeping the seat warm until Brent’s got up speed. Colts still should’ve had better depth than that. He went from a starter to not even dressing. Wonder if he’ll get the Deon Jackson treatment.

At the beach and was  (kind of) watching the game on my phone by the pool.  Not quite the same but still got anxiety following along.  I thought sure it was going to end in a tie and I'm glad they proved me wrong.  

:applause:

We have a winning record.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kymd82222 said:

Disagree completely about JT.  I don't know how or if we can work things out with him, but I hope we do.  I'm not saying we should break the bank and overpay him, but Moss had 30 carries today and is basically our only real choice at RB right now.  He's going to get worn down.  He's got like 98% of our carries since we benched and then released Jackson.  He's been good, but JT adds a home run threat that Moss doesn't have.  

Yeah I was explaining this to someone the other day.  Moss is a good back and you can win with him and he will even be productive like he was today when he was over 100 yards.  However, what Taylor gives you that Moss doesn’t is that in the fourth quarter when the defense is tired he can hit that homerun on any carry to put the game away.  Think the New England game from a couple of years ago.  

I agree don’t break the bank for Taylor because you can win with a guy like Moss, but if you can have Taylor at a decent number you want him.  Think how tired other defenses are going to be if they have play the run hard every down between Richardson, Taylor, and, Moss.  

What the Colts offense is missing that home run hitter at WR.  Pittman is the Reggie Wayne of the offense.  He’s a good route runner, a good blocker, and is going to make catches for you to move the chains but isn’t running away from anyone.  What the Colts are missing is the guy like Marvin, then Garçon, and then Hilton that can stretch the field and burn teams deep.  That should be Pierce but so far it’s not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Random thoughts from the game:

• Moss showing that we really don't need to extend JT.
  • Pierce showing that he can be replaced.  (Dude, look what happened to Jackson and Baker.)
  • How in the world do you call Delay Of Game when the official is standing over the ball, not letting you snap it?
  • We weren't supposed to win this game.  Don't the Colts know that we're supposed to be tanking for Marvin 2.0?  I think we just took ourselves out of the Marvin sweepstakes.
  • This is the reason we paid so much for a kicker.  A top notch kicker will make a difference in 2 or 3 games a season.
  • I told my family I would take them to Dairy Queen if the Colts won.  (You get ice cream!  And you get ice cream!  And you get ice cream!)

Because we had to let D make subs since we did. Baltimore player wisely took his time subbing in.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I was explaining this to someone the other day.  Moss is a good back and you can win with him and he will even be productive like he was today when he was over 100 yards.  However, what Taylor gives you that Moss doesn’t is that in the fourth quarter when the defense is tired he can hit that homerun on any carry to put the game away.  Think the New England game from a couple of years ago.  

I agree don’t break the bank for Taylor because you can win with a guy like Moss, but if you can have Taylor at a decent number you want him.  Think how tired other defenses are going to be if they have play the run hard every down between Richardson, Taylor, and, Moss.  

What the Colts offense is missing that home run hitter at WR.  Pittman is the Reggie Wayne of the offense.  He’s a good route runner, a good blocker, and is going to make catches for you to move the chains but isn’t running away from anyone.  What the Colts are missing is the guy like Marvin, then Garçon, and then Hilton that can stretch the field and burn teams deep.  That should be Pierce but so far it’s not.

I like what I've seen from Downs early on.  Maybe he can become that guy.  

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah. It makes me believe he was just the temporary starter lol. Keeping the seat warm until Brent’s got up speed. Colts still should’ve had better depth than that. He went from a starter to not even dressing. Wonder if he’ll get the Deon Jackson treatment.

Do you bring back Rush?  I mean if you just want a body you aren’t going to dress and be the backup CB if someone gets hurt seems to me it would make sense for it to be the guy who you drafted and can try to develop.  

Just now, kymd82222 said:

I like what I've seen from Downs early on.  Maybe he can become that guy.  

I think Downs is your slot guy which can be that guy, Hilton was, but I think he’s more your Stokley or Collie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taylor can hit that home run at any time. That is very valuable. A tandem of moss and Taylor would be nice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

At the beach and was  (kind of) watching the game on my phone by the pool.  Not quite the same but still got anxiety following along.  I thought sure it was going to end in a tie and I'm glad they proved me wrong.  

:applause:

We have a winning record.  

When we won this game I actually thought of you because of when I first join here. I was thinking Gramz and @jvan1973 could appreciate a win like this. My mom's sister passed away on Friday, she loved the Colts. I told my mom that she would be the angel on my shoulder for today's game. No nonsense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When we won this game I actually thought of you because of when I first join here. I was thinking Gramz and @jvan1973 could appreciate a win like this. My mom's sister passed away on Friday, she loved the Colts. I told my mom that she would be the angel on my shoulder for today's game. No nonsense. 

Glad the Colts got a win today for ya! And sorry for your loss, prayers to you and yours!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Glad the Colts got a win today for ya! And sorry for your loss, prayers to you and yours!

Yeah, she had a lot of health issues for a while. Thanks for the condolences. I just brought her up because she was a huge Colts fan. Then I started to think about people in here. I am crazy like that. Gramz was here when I first joined and she to me is like family, same for Jvan.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something to keep a eye on next week. Rams are at Bengals. Short week have to fly all the way back home then another king plane ride yo Indy. It will be interesting if rams decide to not go home after the bengals game tomorrow night. They might be smart to take the short trip from Cincy to Indy for the week.

Yep.  Jet lag is a killer.  Rams are playing decent so far overall.  I'm hoping next week isn't a let down week after beating such a good team on the road.  Avoid the let down Colts!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I'm glad you noticed this too. After such a big win, I didn't want to come here and criticize. But Leonard has been bad, and he gets a lot of snap counts. I'm sure Stuard would have made more plays and tackles, had he been playing

Leonard couldn’t shed a block to save his life today.  I thought he was okay with showing signs of improving but he was flat out bad today. He picked up some assists falling onto Franklin’s tackles. He looked slow to react, weak, and timid. 

• Like 1

- our DL is good and it's deep. Great to see.

- It was great to see Juju out there and make an impact on the game. Wild that Baker played so badly last week that he got demoted from CB#1 to not playing.

- Our OL are doing a lot better this year.

- Moss is doing great. But he got dinged up already. A committee of Moss and Taylor would be fantastic if they can get the contract details figured out and would help keep both healthier.

- Minshew played like he was expected to play. He can win you games in the NFL as long as he doesn't have to carry the team himself. But, the overall offense was pretty disappointing in terms of how little value they got out of all the turnovers the Ravens gave them.

- Pierce please catch the ball.

35 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

This team has heart and to all those doomers and ballard haters, I’ve heard Denver is looking for new fans 👀

IMG_8780.jpeg

I wonder if there are any players we can get from either Denver or Chicago? Especially something at WR. If things keep going south for them maybe they have a fire sale.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Zaire has turned into a little beast out there. I'm telling u that man can ball! His old coach from Syracuse wasn't lying when he said he was almost impossible to cut.

So glad to see him becoming elite, I thought he hit his ceiling last year but the man keeps getting better

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wonder if there are any players we can get from either Denver or Chicago? Especially something at WR. If things keep going south for them maybe they have a fire sale.

The issue is as always with us, we need those players to want to be here too

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean he had seven tackles.

Thus far, he looks like a $7 or $8m per lb, not an $18m or whatever lb.

He was paid big $ for one reason' all the turnovers he created. So far, that 

aspect of his game is gone. We'll see if it returns....

• Like 2

I rewatched the game again. Very good overall. Our three critical errors didn't end up costing us the game this time like they always do. What critical errors? 1: Sermon dropping a pass on third down. 2: McKenzie not catching the punt and it being downed at the 2 yard line. 3: Minshew stepping out of bounds for the safety. The one thing that has stuck out to me during all the post game chatter from the media jacks is they ALL say Speed got away with a pass interference on that 4th down play late in overtime(ticky tack slight contact, really didn't look like he impeded the receiver to prevent him from catching the ball). The bigger question is how many penalties did the ravens get away with during the course of the game? We played 60 minutes and another 9 of overtime and the ravens had ONE penalty for 5 yards for the entire game!!!!!! How is that even possible? Come on refs, quit attacking us. 

High points of the game.

1: Moss looking good, Downs looking good, offense looking good overall.

2: Offensive line.

3: defensive line.

4: linebackers.

5: Brents hits people hard.

Side note, Nick Cross saved another touchdown on a long return again yesterday as he did in the Jags game, dude must be really fast. Overall the kick coverage has had some holes in it, needs to be better.

I see some people are still down on Pierce, I'm not. He gets open and makes catches, should have hung on to the ball at the 2 though, good play by the defense to punch it out. Pierce will have big days this season.

First place all alone in the afc south, let's stay there! Go Colts!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I rewatched the game again. Very good overall. Our three critical errors didn't end up costing us the game this time like they always do. What critical errors? 1: Sermon dropping a pass on third down. 2: McKenzie not catching the punt and it being downed at the 2 yard line. 3: Minshew stepping out of bounds for the safety. The one thing that has stuck out to me during all the post game chatter from the media jacks is they ALL say Speed got away with a pass interference on that 4th down play late in overtime(ticky tack slight contact, really didn't look like he impeded the receiver to prevent him from catching the ball). The bigger question is how many penalties did the ravens get away with during the course of the game? We played 60 minutes and another 9 of overtime and the ravens had ONE penalty for 5 yards for the entire game!!!!!! How is that even possible? Come on refs, quit attacking us. 

High points of the game.

1: Moss looking good, Downs looking good, offense looking good overall.

2: Offensive line.

3: defensive line.

4: linebackers.

5: Brents hits people hard.

Side note, Nick Cross saved another touchdown on a long return again yesterday as he did in the Jags game, dude must be really fast. Overall the kick coverage has had some holes in it, needs to be better.

I see some people are still down on Pierce, I'm not. He gets open and makes catches, should have hung on to the ball at the 2 though, good play by the defense to punch it out. Pierce will have big days this season.

First place all alone in the afc south, let's stay there! Go Colts!

agree on Pierce, people need to watch he replay. 

10 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Maybe the best from a Colts kicker I've seen

No not the best but it was up there, too 3 for sure.

AV vs the ravens in 07 to get us to the AFCCG is number one.

AV 3 kicks in a blizzard including the game winner a couple years after that

Matt Vs the Ravens yesterday is how I’d rank it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, r a y s k i said:

So glad to see him becoming elite, I thought he hit his ceiling last year but the man keeps getting better

The issue is as always with us, we need those players to want to be here too

If this team gets back to being a regular contender, that last part will take care of itself

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

No not the best but it was up there, too 3 for sure.

AV vs the ravens in 07 to get us to the AFCCG is number one.

AV 3 kicks in a blizzard including the game winner a couple years after that

Matt Vs the Ravens yesterday is how I’d rank it

AV at Baltimore 5-5, 2006/07 playoffs, Gay gets game ball for yesterday though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, she had a lot of health issues for a while. Thanks for the condolences. I just brought her up because she was a huge Colts fan. Then I started to think about people in here. I am crazy like that. Gramz was here when I first joined and she to me is like family, same for Jvan.

Sorry for your loss my friend

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If this team gets back to being a regular contender, that last part will take care of itself

I don't necessarily agree with that, it's a historical issue and more so geographic than anything else.

You can see in this media age how ex players carve out newer and newer possibilities for themselves after their career and Indy simply isn't that location. 

Simply put Indy has never been attractive enough as an athletic location, not even w Manning or Luck, you need to have a certain type of character and that's exactly what Ballard has been aiming at ever since he took over. I believe he understood from the beginning that the Colts need to overpay to attract players elite or average(like Funchess) and its better to self develop and add if an opportunities arises but it is rare.

Anyway, that's my view on it.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Zaire has turned into a little beast out there. I'm telling u that man can ball! His old coach from Syracuse wasn't lying when he said he was almost impossible to cut.

I'm most interested about where tackles occur rather than how many.

And how easy or difficult it is to pass into a LB'ers zone.

Zaire had difficulty getting off big chubby guys blocks yesterday and he is a little too easy to pass over and on. He certainly consistently plays hard.