Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I know it’s early

JediXMan

Colts offense and defense looks nothing like some of these AFC teams offenses and defenses. Also there’s only 2 AFC teams that are undefeated after two weeks. Watch the media still rank the Colts 30th this week though lmao

Also bigger disappointment Chargers or Bengals?

• JediXMan changed the title to I know it’s early

Well the Colts haven’t exactly plaid juggernauts in the Jags and Texans the first two weeks either.  Don’t get me wrong the Jags are a good team but they aren’t the cream of the AFC either.  Lucky for the Colts they only see one of those teams in the Bengals and they have been train wreck so far.  I do think we will get an idea of where the Colts stack up against better teams Sunday when they play the Ravens on the road.  That’s a big ask for any team.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Colts offense and defense looks nothing like some of these AFC teams offenses and defenses. Also there’s only 2 AFC teams that are undefeated after two weeks. Watch the media still rank the Colts 30th this week though lmao

Who cares how the media ranks them?  I don’t understand why that is important to anyone. It means literally nothing. 

• Thanks 4

With 17 games and 7 playoff spots, you're never really out of it.  The Bengals could be 6-8, win the final 3, get in at 9-8, and go on a run.  Teams can put it together quickly, like the Jags did last year.  If you're .500 going into December, you're in business.

56 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Am I wrong in thinking AR is likely to miss this game? It seems like it's a two-week thing for most concussions or am I just wrong on that? 

In my defense, its been a long time since last season.

I think if anyone is going to be ready the following week after a concussion it’s going to be AR. It didn’t look severe and nobody noticed anything, he called nfl personel himself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Am I wrong in thinking AR is likely to miss this game? It seems like it's a two-week thing for most concussions or am I just wrong on that? 

I think you just have to wait and see.  Concussions are tricky injuries on a lot levels and no two are really the same.  I’d say there is a good chance he misses the Ravens game but I don’t know if it’s trending that way yet or not.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think you just have to wait and see.  Concussions are tricky injuries on a lot levels and no two are really the same.  I’d say there is a good chance he misses the Ravens game but I don’t know if it’s trending that way yet or not.

They held out Ogletree and he was fine.  You could use the argument that AR is way more important to justify either decision.  

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

On the Kevin Bowen show this morning, he said that AR was out in public last night walking around and it appeared nothing was wrong with him. Bowen along with others on the show said, normally when someone gets concussed, they rest and lay in a dark room all day. That is our morning show here locally. Unless he has a major setback, he will play. I guess the coaches could hold him out for safety reasons but not sure why they would if AR is ready to go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JediXMan said:

yeah, we’re honestly a well coached team.  The defense I had confidence in but the offense is farther than what it should be, and that’s with a rookie hc and qb.

bigger disappointment, chargers.  Bengals get a pass because burrow was hurt and missed the offseason.  So he couldn’t really get his chemistry with his team.

but the chargers, I predicted them to be a disappointment.  Their coach sucks and I never been a herbert believer.  He can put up the stats but he hasn’t won anything.  I’ll reserve my final judgment on him when they get a better coach but right now, he’s Phillip rivers 2.0

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

They held out Ogletree and he was fine.  You could use the argument that AR is way more important to justify either decision.  

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Colts are deep at TE so that helped. I’m leaning towards AR not suiting up this week however.

I think having a "mild" concussion will factor into his playing status against the Ravens.  Ogletree's concussion was a bit more severe from what I saw.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Bigger disappointment is easy, it is the Chargers. Burrow is playing injured is why and that injury could end his season if he isn't careful. Burrow has been to a SB - everyone knows he is great, and Cincy has been very good 2 years in a row. Herbert has never won a playoff game and the Chargers have good talent around him. There are a lot of Herbert fans in here and I keep saying he isn't great. I get bashed for it but until he starts winning, the argument that he is great doesn't hold water. I think Herbert is good but not great - saying he is good/not great isn't a bash, I am just speaking the truth. Josh Allen has even won 4 playoff games with no run game. Herbert has had a lot of games where he has had a chance to win games on a final drive and he chokes. You can only blame coaching so much. Watch the last 3 games he played in. Ball was in hands to beat the Dolphins and Titans on final drives and he just looked bad. Last years playoff game, blowing a 27-0 lead is embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On the Kevin Bowen show this morning, he said that AR was out in public last night walking around and it appeared nothing was wrong with him. Bowen along with others on the show said, normally when someone gets concussed, they rest and lay in a dark room all day. That is our morning show here locally. Unless he has a major setback, he will play. I guess the coaches could hold him out for safety reasons but not sure why they would if AR is ready to go.

Glad to be wrong on this one. Thanks for the update and context. 

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

yeah, we’re honestly a well coached team.  The defense I had confidence in but the offense is farther than what it should be, and that’s with a rookie hc and qb.

bigger disappointment, chargers.  Bengals get a pass because burrow was hurt and missed the offseason.  So he couldn’t really get his chemistry with his team.

but the chargers, I predicted them to be a disappointment.  Their coach sucks and I never been a herbert believer.  He can put up the stats but he hasn’t won anything.  I’ll reserve my final judgment on him when they get a better coach but right now, he’s Phillip rivers 2.0

Chargers should’ve fired Staley after that embarrassing playoff loss how he survived that is a puzzling. As for Herbert he doesn’t get criticized enough for his team’s shortcomings. He’s the leader of that team and with all that talent and 0 playoff wins that the is something you can’t simply ignore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Bengals definitely, but they have been down this road before and restored their season towards the end. Just hope they don't dip into that deficit well too much over and over that they miss the playoffs.

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bigger disappointment is easy, it is the Chargers. Burrow is playing injured is why and that injury could end his season if he isn't careful. Burrow has been to a SB - everyone knows he is great, and Cincy has been very good 2 years in a row. Herbert has never won a playoff game and the Chargers have good talent around him. There are a lot of Herbert fans in here and I keep saying he isn't great. I get bashed for it but until he starts winning, the argument that he is great doesn't hold water. I think Herbert is good but not great - saying he is good/not great isn't a bash, I am just speaking the truth. Josh Allen has even won 4 playoff games with no run game. Herbert has had a lot of games where he has had a chance to win games on a final drive and he chokes. You can only blame coaching so much. Watch the last 3 games he played in. Ball was in hands to beat the Dolphins and Titans on final drives and he just looked bad. Last years playoff game, blowing a 27-0 lead is embarrassing. 

I didn't watch the 3 last three games he's in, but how does blowing a 27-0 lead fall on his shoulders.  Isn't that the defense?  I'll admit, I haven't watched much of his play, but I've liked what I've seen.  I'll have to watch more closely this year.

58 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Chargers should’ve fired Staley after that embarrassing playoff loss how he survived that is a puzzling. As for Herbert he doesn’t get criticized enough for his team’s shortcomings. He’s the leader of that team and with all that talent and 0 playoff wins that the is something you can’t simply ignore.

Herbert just doesn't have IT right now. He has all the tools. Staley should thank his lucky stars that the Chargers are cheap w.r.t getting high priced coaches, and as long as you play nice with the owner, you are good. That is what got Marty fired, he didn't get along well with the owner. 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We can beat the Ravens. Hopefully AR plays 

Not at Baltimore. If it was at home, I would say we have a chance. 

16 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I didn't watch the 3 last three games he's in, but how does blowing a 27-0 lead fall on his shoulders.  Isn't that the defense?  I'll admit, I haven't watched much of his play, but I've liked what I've seen.  I'll have to watch more closely this year.

It is partly the defense but once they got up 27-0, he played badly. Most people had no problem with blaming Matt Ryan for blowing a 33-0 lead last year or a 28-3 lead in the SB but when it comes to Herbert, his fans always have an excuse for him when they lose. It is never his fault according to some. Just strange how some QB's rarely get blamed for losses and other QB's get all the blame. Matt Ryan has even led his team to a SB and won an MVP. The last 2 games (this season), he had ball in hand and only needed a FG to win and was 3 and out on the final drive.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Herbert just doesn't have IT right now. He has all the tools. Staley should thank his lucky stars that the Chargers are cheap w.r.t getting high priced coaches, and as long as you play nice with the owner, you are good. That is what got Marty fired, he didn't get along well with the owner. 

Should have beat them with Wentz. Just saying 

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It’s the NFL almost all games come down to a handful of plays.  There isn’t the talent gap you see at other levels of football where one team honestly has no chance.  Is it going to be hard for the Colts to beat the Ravens?  Yes.  Will it be an upset?  Without question but we see that every week.  Remember last year the Colts beat the Chiefs and while that was at home I’d still say the gap between last years Colts and Chiefs is much greater than the Colts and Ravens.

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s the NFL almost all games come down to a handful of plays.  There isn’t the talent gap you see at other levels of football where one team honestly has no chance.  Is it going to be hard for the Colts to beat the Ravens?  Yes.  Will it be an upset?  Without question but we see that every week.  Remember last year the Colts beat the Chiefs and while that was at home I’d still say the gap between last years Colts and Chiefs is much greater than the Colts and Ravens.

The Chiefs game, is probably the only game I remember the last couple of years where a 4th qtr. comeback drive actually happened to win the game under Reich. Games are won and lost in the 4th qtr. in the NFL since, like you said, talent gaps aren't huge. Just that the odds of pulling away or coming back in the 4th qtr. favors the home team typically, that is what happened in our win vs the Chiefs, and the Ravens beating us with Wentz. I am just stating the odds. 

13 hours ago, JediXMan said:

The chargers not playing up to expectations should never be a Disappointment.... in fact it should be expected. :funny:

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It's at Baltimore  in the rain so may have to rely on running  game

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One problem.  The Chargers QB is not the problem.  The high priced D, Mack, Bosa, JC, and Derwin James are stinking up the joint bad.  

The offense has put up a ton of points and no turnovers.  The defense is not stopping anyone.  

Herbert is not the problem.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

One problem.  The Chargers QB is not the problem.  The high priced D, Mack, Bosa, JC, and Derwin James are stinking up the joint bad.  

The offense has put up a ton of points and no turnovers.  The defense is not stopping anyone.  

Herbert is not the problem.  

The Chargers offense is #4 in yardage, and #6 in points scored. The defense is #32 in yardage, and #3 in points scored.

But yeah, them being 0-2 is obviously proof that Justin Herbert isn't good enough... /s

It's shocking to me that people still refuse to separate team performance from QB evaluations.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After both of my bad concussions in high school, I had to spend a week in a dark room each time. Reading was limited as well as screen time (tv, computer, etc.). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well the Colts haven’t exactly plaid juggernauts in the Jags and Texans the first two weeks either.  Don’t get me wrong the Jags are a good team but they aren’t the cream of the AFC either.  Lucky for the Colts they only see one of those teams in the Bengals and they have been train wreck so far.  I do think we will get an idea of where the Colts stack up against better teams Sunday when they play the Ravens on the road.  That’s a big ask for any team.

The Jaguars are going to be a problem for teams this season, they lost to Mahomes but I think they're at the same level as the Bills this season. Lawrence is primed to take the next step

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

After both of my bad concussions in high school, I had to spend a week in a dark room each time. Reading was limited as well as screen time (tv, computer, etc.). 

The worst I had was from a bicycle wreck when I was 14. I hit a dog that darted in front of me and it sent over the handle bars.

I was still out when somebody found me and took me home. I puked and had a bad headache for a few days.  Couldn't do much for a week or so.

Had a couple during H.S. football years, but then it was just called getting your bell rung. Remember my ears ringing for a day or two, but didn't miss school or practice, so obviously not severe,

Maybe the above examples will help to explain some of my weird behavior.

2 hours ago, Dunk said:

The worst I had was from a bicycle wreck when I was 14. I hit a dog that darted in front of me and it sent over the handle bars.

I was still out when somebody found me and took me home. I puked and had a bad headache for a few days.  Couldn't do much for a week or so.

Had a couple during H.S. football years, but then it was just called getting your bell rung. Remember my ears ringing for a day or two, but didn't miss school or practice, so obviously not severe,

Maybe the above examples will help to explain some of my weird behavior.

My second one knocked me out cold. I was running along the sideline for a first down, and a linebacker clocked me on the side of the head. I didn’t even see him coming. I still have migraines to this day most likely because of that hit. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

My second one knocked me out cold. I was running along the sideline for a first down, and a linebacker clocked me on the side of the head. I didn’t even see him coming. I still have migraines to this day most likely because of that hit. 

Sorry you have lingering issues. So far I haven't noticed anything.

One of my friends had to retire at age 59, because of dementia type symptoms that were related to brain injuries. Can't say that he sustained all of em on the football field, but he was a 2 way starter for 4 years in high school.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Glad to be wrong on this one. Thanks for the update and context. 

As @MB-ColtsFan said, it depends on the severity of the concussion. Some players have come back within a week even after rule changes last year. One player, I think, Thielen even came out of blue tent after testing for concussion and continued to play the game even after the rule changes. 

Walking on streets doesn't make it worse or better. A man has to still walk and live his life while going through concussion protocol.

These Reporters and Podcasters are something else.

I think you could gain some knowledge from injury report and how concerned the coach seems to be this week in press meetings. It will take only 3 days for final injury report though. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is partly the defense but once they got up 27-0, he played badly. Most people had no problem with blaming Matt Ryan for blowing a 33-0 lead last year or a 28-3 lead in the SB but when it comes to Herbert, his fans always have an excuse for him when they lose. It is never his fault according to some. Just strange how some QB's rarely get blamed for losses and other QB's get all the blame. Matt Ryan has even led his team to a SB and won an MVP. The last 2 games (this season), he had ball in hand and only needed a FG to win and was 3 and out on the final drive.

Yeah, I'm at the point where I think Herbert is very good but he's to play well at clutch to win games on his own, as QBs getting Elite money are expected to do. (Just like they expect 50 million dollar a year contract once they play little well as rookies. Fair Deal)

However, I'd give it a pass this week as Ekeler was injured and the run game wasn't good enough. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

The Chargers offense is #4 in yardage, and #6 in points scored. The defense is #32 in yardage, and #3 in points scored.

But yeah, them being 0-2 is obviously proof that Justin Herbert isn't good enough... /s

It's shocking to me that people still refuse to separate team performance from QB evaluations.

It's not that to your 2nd paragraph. The Chargers had the ball with a chance to win at the end of each of the 1st 2 games and Herbert looked awful. How is that on the defense? For the money he makes and as great as everyone says he is, those 1st 2 games at the end didn't help his cause. You are one of biggest Herbert apologist in here. In your eyes, it is never his fault by the way you post about him.

I think he is good, but he has a ways to go before he is near Mahomes level. He isn't as good as Burrow, Allen, or Hurts, or Jackson either. When Luck played, Luck played better.

@Superman, you probably think I am Herbert hater. I am not, to clear things up. I know he isn't the entire problem. I think their head coach stinks to put it bluntly. Herbert is a great talent but he has had several bad moments with games on the line with the ball in his hands. I don't think saying the guy is good and not great is being hater. He is a top 10 QB in the league and I would love to have him with Shane.

I am not sure what your definition of very good and great is? Maybe it is different from mine. When I think of great, I think of Mahomes and Burrow. It is unfortunate that Burrow's injury may be a disaster this year. A calf is nothing to screw around with. That can turn into a torn Achilles. Burrow has made a SB and almost made another one last year, he has been great. He is a great leader, something stats don't measure. 

Very good, I think of

Allen, Hurts, Jackson.

Good

Herbert is in this tier with Lawrence, Tua, and Dak, that is JMO. I really should put Purdy in here, he has the stats and wins to deserve to be called good.

-QB's like Goff, Cousins, Geno, and Carr are borderline good.

-I didn't include Matt Stafford because he was injured last year but in 2021 he was very good.

-Aaron Rodgers is out for the season and Russell Wilson looks washed to me.

-I don't just go by wins to be clear, because it is a team game but the QB has a lot of control on whether a team wins or loses in a close game, especially if they have the ball last. I factor in stats, eye test, and talent as well like you do.