Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hosted OG Ike Boettger for free agent visit

1959Colts

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/9/5/23860745/colts-hosted-veteran-og-ike-boettger-for-free-agent-visit-on-tuesday

The Colts brought in reliable backup Ike Boettger for a look on Tuesday, who was a locker room favorite in Buffalo.

...The 6’6”, 313 pound former undrafted free agent out of Iowa has played for the Buffalo Bills, appearing in 34 career games (17 starts) during his five NFL seasons. He also had a short stint with the Kansas City Chiefs organization...

...It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Colts make another roster move to add depth to their interior offensive line before this weekend’s regular season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars—as it’s a pretty thin group right now.

Boettger was regarded as a reliable backup and locker room favorite in Buffalo.

• Like 8

We actually need a starter at RG......

Adding another backup to a starter that SHOULD be a backup .....doesnt seem like a good move

A RG that could actually start for most teams would seem to be very important

Too many times watching our MULTIPLE RGs get shoved back in to the pocket last year makes me think we need to try harder here

If the OL can run block.....  we can get by with a RB rotation.....

• Like 3

I’ve said this before, but I think it’s worth repeating…. 

When a poster expresses interest in filling a roster spot the Colts are showing almost no interest in filling the spot with a quality veteran.   They are filling the spot with some fringe young-ish player that is either a practice squad guy or a backup on the depth chart.   But not a starter.   

Whether it’s RG or CB or S or WR or RB, the Colts have not shown any interest in signing a quality veteran.   To me, the Colts are screaming and telegraphing that they’re fine finishing in the bottom-10 of the league, perhaps even the bottom-5.  

How clear do the Colts have to make it? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/9/5/23860745/colts-hosted-veteran-og-ike-boettger-for-free-agent-visit-on-tuesday

The Colts brought in reliable backup Ike Boettger for a look on Tuesday, who was a locker room favorite in Buffalo.

...The 6’6”, 313 pound former undrafted free agent out of Iowa has played for the Buffalo Bills, appearing in 34 career games (17 starts) during his five NFL seasons. He also had a short stint with the Kansas City Chiefs organization...

...It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Colts make another roster move to add depth to their interior offensive line before this weekend’s regular season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars—as it’s a pretty thin group right now.

Boettger was regarded as a reliable backup and locker room favorite in Buffalo.

Buffalo has an average at best offensive line. Don’t think they would let him get away if he could of helped them. 

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Maybe Buffalo is planning on tanking too haha

But seriously, I have a feeling the bills will take a step back this season. 

Was actually surprised. Was looking as season projections and Bills weren't in the playoffs in quite a few of them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Buffalo has an average at best offensive line. Don’t think they would let him get away if he could of helped them. 

At this stage, I would take average for an OL

We have put RGs on the field that are FAR less than average

The rest if the OL is coming around...... why would we start a season with a known weak link?

There ARE actually some FAs still available, that we need to look at ........

55 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

At this stage, I would take average for an OL

We have put RGs on the field that are FAR less than average

The rest if the OL is coming around...... why would we start a season with a known weak link?

There ARE actually some FAs still available, that we need to look at ........

I think that door has closed unless we get a major injury at guard.  

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think that door has closed unless we get a major injury at guard.  

Yes, I agree. Maybe here, we should just wait a few weeks, to see how all the O-line positions look first, before we jump to the conclusion, that RG is an absolute must position to upgrade.

I remember last year, many times, when the blocking protection failed, it was because two Colts would block the same defender, leaving another, unblocked player a free path to our QB... and also, when the opposition would run a stunt, our line seemed to have no idea who to block.

I believe, it was not all physical talent issues, but rather, a lot of the problem was scheme design and blocking assignments.

Hopefully, with this new coaching staff, they can correct those faults, and we get a better look at how skilled our linemen actually are?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Was actually surprised. Was looking as season projections and Bills weren't in the playoffs in quite a few of them.

...and I think the Jags were in the playoffs in every projection I saw.

Hopefully, after Jacksonville's surprisingly good 2022 season, they revert back to their old ways, of bringing up the bottom.

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Hopefully, after Jacksonville's surprisingly good 2022 season, they revert back to their old ways, of bringing up the bottom.

Not sure if you're referring to projections on here or national syndicate?

I was talking about national articles.

Either way it doesn't matter too much.(Just a tidbit, I should of probably put in my last post.

Jacksonville should be favored to be in the playoffs because of our division, and how they ended last year, so not surprised in that at all.

I was shocked that so many left the Bills out though. Yes it's a tough division/conference, but they have been one of the top teams the last few years.

13 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I’m pretty sure I read they have two new OT starting.  Could prove interesting.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not sure if you're referring to projections on here or national syndicate?

I was talking about national articles.

Either way it doesn't matter too much.(Just a tidbit, I should of probably put in my last post.

Jacksonville should be favored to be in the playoffs because of our division, and how they ended last year, so not surprised in that at all.

I was shocked that so many left the Bills out though. Yes it's a tough division/conference, but they have been one of the top teams the last few years.

Yes. I was talking about national predictions. Every one I saw picked the Jags. I am not surprised either, since our division leaves little to be desired. I'm certainly not convinced they are a sure thing to the division. Not really that sold on their roster.

As for the Bills predictions... I guess they are all jumping on the Dolphins or Jets? Who I predict will disappoint as well.

• Like 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Yes. I was talking about national predictions. Every one I saw picked the Jags. I am not surprised either, since our division leaves little to be desired. I'm certainly not convinced they are a sure thing to the division. Not really that sold on their roster.

Me either.

I'm hoping we pull out the division, until the moment we can't anymore.(if that moment comes? Lol)

Probably be a long season, but time will tell. A win week 1 would be a pretty big deal.

1-0 overall

1-0 against division

1-0 against division favorites 

1-0 against AFC

A loss will be just that, an expectation by most.

Just now, w87r said:

Me either.

I'm hoping we pull out the division, until the moment we can't anymore.(if that moment comes? Lol)

Probably be a long season, but time will tell. A win week 1 would be a pretty big deal.

1-0 overall

1-0 against division

1-0 against division favorites 

1-0 against AFC

A loss will be just that, an expectation by most.

As for the Colts... as I have said for the past year or so, I believe we will do just fine, and compete for the division, ONLY IF the line can block better.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve said this before, but I think it’s worth repeating…. 

When a poster expresses interest in filling a roster spot the Colts are showing almost no interest in filling the spot with a quality veteran.   They are filling the spot with some fringe young-ish player that is either a practice squad guy or a backup on the depth chart.   But not a starter.   

Whether it’s RG or CB or S or WR or RB, the Colts have not shown any interest in signing a quality veteran.   To me, the Colts are screaming and telegraphing that they’re fine finishing in the bottom-10 of the league, perhaps even the bottom-5.  

How clear do the Colts have to make it? 

But to what end? To get a better spot in the draft?

Who have we drafted that's a difference maker? Jonathan Taylor? That's about it and it's not going well.

Pittman is okay, not a star. Pierce? Anyone?

Really though. Who's been a difference maker where we can find comfort in this strategy? 

7 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

But to what end? To get a better spot in the draft?

Who have we drafted that's a difference maker? Jonathan Taylor? That's about it and it's not going well.

Pittman is okay, not a star. Pierce? Anyone?

Really though. Who's been a difference maker where we can find comfort in this strategy? 

Well….   First, the Colts rarely draft high.   Most of the difference makers are gone by the time they pick.   

Second….  When they did pick high, Nelson worked out fine.  (Understatement).   So did Leonard and Smith.   

Third, guys like Paye and Pittman and Taylor and Pierce  and Dayo and Woods and Raimann are still young and developing and/or coming off injuries.  All should be better this year.  

Fourth….   This appears to be a loaded draft.   It includes perhaps a half dozen players or more that might be ranked higher than anyone picked in last years draft.   If a team — any team — is going to get a top-10 pick, this would appear to be the year.   

Hope this answers your question…