Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Isaiah Rodgers being investigated for gambling policy infractions ((MERGE))

CR91

23 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i dont think he would do that the proof is just that someone who is friends with rogers placed small bets .  why would a guy who is a millionaire need to win 40 dollars .  i know he is on a cheap contract but he still made like 3 million dollars so far and was in line to get way more .      so if you are a nfl player you have to try and stop your friends from making bets ?   there better be real proof rogers handed money to his friend to bet on his behalf .  it should always be innocent until proven guilty i hate his name is being run through the mud when he is a high character player .

He had made about $2.4m through year 3 of his contract. Probably saw maybe half of that after taxes and agent fees. Sure he went through a good chunk of the remainder.

The worst part is he had earned performance escalators, which almost tripled his pay for 2023. $2.7m. Now he won't see a dime of that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well that pretty much confirms those reports. One year suspended possibly more. 

Now here’s the question I have, let’s say it’s a year suspension, and the colts don’t cut them. Do they hold his rights next season or ?? What about the salary cap hit for this year 

13 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Wow this is really dissapointing. 

With that said, I dont want this guy on the team anymore. Yeah hes had some good moments, but he is an atrocious tackler and apparently, a world class *. Hes also not good enough to overlook this.

This is a great opportunity for Darius Rush and Jaylon Jones.

The Colts need to get out there and sign a vet corner or 2, ASAP.

He's one of the best coverage guys on the team and he's not a world class * for betting on games, players have done far worse and received less punishment

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

With that said, I dont want this guy on the team anymore. Yeah hes had some good moments, but he is an atrocious tackler and apparently, a world class *. Hes also not good enough to overlook this.

We might sign 1, but this isn't a surprise to the Colts. They have known about this.for a while.

Probably since before the draft, hence (3) CBs being drafted.

So since they haven't signed one by now, just makes you wonder if they will?

Perhaps when punishment is laid down, but risk losing someone that is already on the short list of available CBs.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

We might sign 1, but this isn't a surprise to the Colts. They have known about this.for a while.

Perhaps when punishment is laid down, but risk losing someone that is already on the short list of available CBs.

They are still going to have to fill the roster spot. I doubt they roll with what they have.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

The only thing I don't like about his statement is he said he made an error in judgement.

Yeah, like 100 times.

There is no excuse. Just don’t gamble. It’s simple.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Now here’s the question I have, let’s say it’s a year suspension, and the colts don’t cut them. Do they hold his rights next season or ?? What about the salary cap hit for this year 

Does not count against the cap.

Still checking on if he loses a vesting year.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Legit question. Do you still get paid if you're suspended?

No

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

At least it’s only gambling. There’s far worse things he could have done. 

that said, besides if he did like they said. I’m fully expecting a life ban. One year minimums suspension 

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not only let his team down but most important his family. Who depends on him.

Stupidity. Lack of foresight or care. 

how to lose millions upon millions example 101. This dude was bound to be PAID this off season. 

im actually glad this all came out before the colts signed him to a massive deal. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m googling but I’m finding mixed answers 

I'm thinking he loses a vesting year, and his contract would pick up where it left off.

Haven't found the verbiage yet, but if Franchise tagged players don't report by a certain date they lose that year of service, so would think the same would apply in this instance 

https://nflpa.com/active-players/faq/what-is-a-credited-season-and-what-does-it-mean-to-be-vested

Not specifically listed here, but says you need to be active for 3 games, or on IR, PUP etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ouch. That means he'll lose over 2 mil. 

Yep, almost $3m.

Definition of crapping out...smh

Probably not a good time for a gambling joke, but it is what it is.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

At least it’s only gambling. There’s far worse things he could have done. 

that said, besides if he did like they said. I’m fully expecting a life ban. One year minimums suspension 

Its not about the gambling. Its about the stupidity. 

Throw away a lucrative career for low level bets? 

I just dont think I would invest in someone that stupid long term, so we might as well move on now.

I know I'm going against history here , but I hope the NFL lets him off with a 1-2 year ban if he didn't bet against the Colts.

Not defending his actions, but he didn't hurt anyone. He just something incredibly and outrageously stupid. But he's a young guy who might have had bad influences in his ear telling him stuff like they won't care if it's 25-50 dollar bets. We don't know all the context here yet.

I guess I'm in the minority with that opinion, but players have done a lot worse and gotten far less harsh punishments. I know the integrity of the game matters but if he didn't bet against his own team it's not like his bets influenced the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

They might have known, I dont know. But there is also a possibility this came up recently.

We needed corners and even tho Im not against playing rookies we need another vet with this news.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i dont think he would do that the proof is just that someone who is friends with rogers placed small bets .  why would a guy who is a millionaire need to win 40 dollars .  i know he is on a cheap contract but he still made like 3 million dollars so far and was in line to get way more .      so if you are a nfl player you have to try and stop your friends from making bets ?   there better be real proof rogers handed money to his friend to bet on his behalf .  it should always be innocent until proven guilty i hate his name is being run through the mud when he is a high character player .

I don't like blaming early either.....but the hero worship is insane at times.  Unless you know him personally, you have little to no idea who or how he is off the field.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

They might have known, I dont know. But there is also a possibility this came up recently.

We needed corners and even tho Im not against playing rookies we need another vet with this news.

Most likely.

There was a list posted earlier of a guys available, I will give another here instead of going back and looking.

Marcus Peters

Cameron Danzler

Ronald Darby

Byron Jones

Casey Hayward(used to play for Bradley)

Troy Hill

Anthony Brown

Eli Apple

Ahkello Witherspoon 

To name a few.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I know I'm going against history here , but I hope the NFL lets him off with a 1-2 year ban if he didn't bet against the Colts.

Not defending his actions, but he didn't hurt anyone. He just something incredibly and outrageously stupid. But he's a young guy who might have had bad influences in his ear telling him stuff like they won't care if it's 25-50 dollar bets. We don't know all the context here yet.

I guess I'm in the minority with that opinion, but players have done a lot worse and gotten far less harsh punishments. I know the integrity of the game matters but if he didn't bet against his own team it's not like his bets influenced the game.

He could have very easily placed bets for the Colts and still influenced the game — point spreads being the most obvious but many more. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

He could have very easily placed bets for the Colts and still influenced the game — point spreads being the most obvious but many more. 

Also, even if he did bet to win, someone could easily catch wind of it and blackmail him into covering the spread the other way. Losing his bet, but winning someone else a lot of money.

Where the integrity thing is huge.

Most these sports leagues already have certain perceived integrity issues. Whether it be officiating, Peds or whatever.

11 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Could've. That's for the investigation to determine what he bet on exactly.

2 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Even if he bet on the Colts to win, he could have done a myriad of things to sabotage the team for the spread. His actions could have easily affected results and even careers other than his own. If he bet on the Colts, he should be banned permanently. This is an easy call in my opinion. 

I don't understand your post . If he bet on the Colts , why would he do things on the field other than try to win a ball game. Give me an example of the "myriad of things to sabotage the team for the spread ." How would placing a bet on his team , possibly affect the careers of others ?" I'm not saying this is not a serious offense , I just think you're stating things that don't make total sense. So think it out and let me know how he would do things to "sabotage "the spread if he's betting on the Colts ?

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

Also, even if he did bet to win, someone could easily catch wind of it and blackmail him into covering the spread the other way. Losing his bet, but winning someone else a lot of money.

Where the integrity thing is huge.

Most these sports leagues already have certain perceived integrity issues. Whether it be officiating, Peds or whatever.

And there’s the reason why Rogers, if guilty of making multiple bets on other teams, will be made the poster child of deterrence by getting a long term ban. If he bet on the Colts, and especially if he bet on them to lose,  I think he gets a lifetime ban. The League needs to stomp hard here; if they don’t, the credibility of their product could be damaged. 
This is, unfortunately, a very big deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

if he bet on games he played in, he will never play again. 

• Like 2

I know the money is very different, but I used to work for a local cable company. I was in charge of the auditing department. Our job was to look for illegal hookups and prosecute the people who hooked people up. We found a couple of guys who worked for us who hooked up a couple of friends for beer and pizza. They both lost jobs that back in the early 80's were paying them $20K+ per year plus a great benefit program. They were both married with children and sole providers. One was the brother-in-law of the installation manager. My point is some people do stupid stuff because they just don't think about the consequences. I remember still today the conversation between the one guy and his boss/BIL. It was not going to be a fun Thanksgiving at the house.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I don't understand your post . If he bet on the Colts , why would he do things on the field other than try to win a ball game. Give me an example of the "myriad of things to sabotage the team for the spread ." How would placing a bet on his team , possibly affect the careers of others ?" I'm not saying this is not a serious offense , I just think you're stating things that don't make total sense. So think it out and let me know how he would do things to "sabotage "the spread if he's betting on the Colts ?

He could bet on the Colts but do things to hurt the team to keep the score within a certain point spread. Not being snarky but I don’t see how that’s hard to understand. Let’s say he drops a pick 6 on 3rd down to keep the Colts within the spread, but he can’t know that the opponent will score on the punt return. He purposely blows a coverage and puts added pressure on the other DBs and makes them look bad on a given play. He purposely commits a penalty and that makes the DB coach look bad. He allows TDs, and the Colts defensive numbers look worse so the DC looks worse. Honestly asking—you don’t see how betting on a game, even for the Colts, could affect other players/coaches like this? If you don’t, that’s cool, but it seems obvious. These are all hypotheticals of course but this is a discussion board.