Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

According to Will Brinson (CBS Sports)

Smonroe

We would end up with the second pick in the 2024 draft.

If AR5 shows continued improvement through the season, and our games were close… I would not be upset with MHJ as a draft pick.

Our weaknesses, besides AR learning on the job, are RG and a very inexperienced CB room.  But it’s a solid, if not great team.

I still think we’ll be better than that, even vying for the division.  But, at the very least, it’s good locker room fodder!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-playoff-predictions-for-2023-season-eagles-fall-falcons-rise-plus-full-division-and-wild-card-picks/

It's all about the O-line.  If the O-line rebounds, they can finish around. 500 and be in the mix.  They can play somewhat similar to the way they played in 2021, similar to how the Eagles played with Hurts the first year he started.  

15 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Will Brinson thanks the OP for promoting his guesses.

Eh, just something to talk about while we're waiting for OTAs.  

But I do love it when the media expects little to nothing from the Colts.

• Like 2

This is what I personally want. Might as well give AR the keys, be bad, but have him show a lot of growth. We get a generational WR who gets to follow in his father’s footsteps.

I’d much rather this than us go 8-9 and not have a chance for a SB.

Let the team be bad for one year, and then AR has a Joe Burrow type of second year with his rookie WR. haha

If we end up with one of the top two picks this time next year you take one of those two QBs.  But I seriously doubt that happens because the Colts have too good a roster to disintegrate.  It would require major injuries.  So possible but unlikely as even with a poor end result we're probably drafting around 10th at worst.

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

If we end up with one of the top two picks this time next year you take one of those two QBs.  But I seriously doubt that happens because the Colts have too good a roster to disintegrate.  It would require major injuries.  So possible but unlikely as even with a poor end result we're probably drafting around 10th at worst.

but just to add salt to the wound of a bad year... our front office would be too stubborn to pick one of the top QBs (Williams or Maye) even though i think they're way better than anyone in this class was... 

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

We would end up with the second pick in the 2024 draft.

If AR5 shows continued improvement through the season, and our games were close… I would not be upset with MHJ as a draft pick.

Our weaknesses, besides AR learning on the job, are RG and a very inexperienced CB room.  But it’s a solid, if not great team.

I still think we’ll be better than that, even vying for the division.  But, at the very least, it’s good locker room fodder!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-playoff-predictions-for-2023-season-eagles-fall-falcons-rise-plus-full-division-and-wild-card-picks/

This guys projection system has come up with roughly the same win number that ESPN, NFL.com and PFF came up with.   6 wins. 

Plenty of fans on this website have made roughly the same projection.    

But here’s a question:   Did you really write the Colts are a solid if not great team?   Really?     Great?    Seriously?      :peek:

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This guys projection system has come up with roughly the same win number that ESPN, NFL.com and PFF came up with.   6 wins. 

But here’s a question:   Did you really write the Colts are a solid if not great team?   Really?     Great?    Seriously?      :peek:

Yes, I do think they're a solid team.  I guess that depends on your definition of 'solid'.  I'm not seeing a lot of holes.  RG and the inexperience of the CBs are the weakest areas, IMHO.

Obviously, the play of the most important position in professional sports is still TBD.   But even with Minshew I think they can win at least 6 games.  They won 4 last year with some of the worst QB play in the league.

BTW, Brinson has the Colts with 4 wins.  Less than the Texans and Titans.  I'd say we're better than both of those teams.  On paper, at least.

But, as they say, opinions don't matter in the NFL.  Thank goodness.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yes, I do think they're a solid team.  I guess that depends on your definition of 'solid'.  I'm not seeing a lot of holes.  RG and the inexperience of the CBs are the weakest areas, IMHO.

Obviously, the play of the most important position in professional sports is still TBD.   But even with Minshew I think they can win at least 6 games.  They won 4 last year with some of the worst QB play in the league.

BTW, Brinson has the Colts with 4 wins.  Less than the Texans and Titans.  I'd say we're better than both of those teams.  On paper, at least.

But, as they say, opinions don't matter in the NFL.  Thank goodness.

I didn’t question you over the use of solid.  I questioned the use of the word great.  

Correction:   My bad.   I misread.   You’re correct, 4-13. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn’t question you over the use of solid.  I questioned the use of the word great.  

My grammar is bad when I said they're a "solid, if not great" team.  To me that meant, they're not great, but they're at least solid.  But I get how it would be interpreted as they're at least solid and maybe great.

In no way do I think it's a great team.  Too many "If's".  Besides AR, the defensive backfield is mostly unproven, we don't know if Kelly and Smith will revert back to their previous play.  RG speaks for itself.

I still think it's going to be a fun year watching the young guys develop.  And, as I said before, I won't be surprised if we're competing for the division or a playoff spot.

• Thanks 1

I don't care if it's seen as delusional or seeing thing through blue tinted glasses. It would not surprise me for this colts team to make it to the playoffs. While not the ultimate goal, it's an improvement. With this easy schedule, as long as AR dosnt absolutely stink, a playoff game is absolutely a possibility. Maybe not as #1 in the South, but as a wild card. Everything past that would just be interesting (maybe even painful) to see. We're gonna have a big jump in competition if we make it to that point.

45 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My grammar is bad when I said they're a "solid, if not great" team.  To me that meant, they're not great, but they're at least solid.  But I get how it would be interpreted as they're at least solid and maybe great.

In no way do I think it's a great team.  Too many "If's".  Besides AR, the defensive backfield is mostly unproven, we don't know if Kelly and Smith will revert back to their previous play.  RG speaks for itself.

I still think it's going to be a fun year watching the young guys develop.  And, as I said before, I won't be surprised if we're competing for the division or a playoff spot.

Appreciate the response.   I’m with you for the first two paragraphs.    But the last paragraph is where we part company.  

I don’t see us competing for the division.   I’d love to be wrong, but I just don’t see it.   Even if the Colts surprise to the upside and win 8 games, I expect Lawrence to take another step up and for the Jags to win 10. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

How did all of them think the Giants would fare last year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'll make a wager with you. If the Colts win total is 4 or under, I'll give you $40. For every win over 4, you give me $20. Deal?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Appreciate the response.   I’m with you for the first two paragraphs.    But the last paragraph is where we part company.  

I don’t see us competing for the division.   I’d love to be wrong, but I just don’t see it.   Even if the Colts surprise to the upside and win 8 games, I expect Lawrence to take another step up and for the Jags to win 10. 

As they say - that's why they play the games.  

Remember, you don't have to win the division to get into the playoffs.  Sure, it's a stretch (and I can hear Jim Mora now) but they said the same thing in 2012.   Here's my usual disclaimer - I'm not comparing AR to AL.  No way, shape, or form.

22 minutes ago, Bbswatching said:

In that scenario.  Cardinals would have the number 1 pick.  Which means they would probably take Harrison Jr.  

I think they’d trade it for a bunch.  Very rare that a WR goes #1 over all.  Keyshawn?

Every one - I mean - EVERY ONE - of us has an opinion.

The only difference is - they get paid $$$ for their opinions.

I don't really care what the media pundits say and/or predict - they were GROSSLY wrong about how the 2023 NFL Draft would go - from the git go!!

47 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'll make a wager with you. If the Colts win total is 4 or under, I'll give you $40. For every win over 4, you give me $20. Deal?

I’m already on record as saying I think we win 6-7 games.   I’ve said it many times.    I don’t think you understand my position.    No reason to do that deal. 

39 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Remember, you don't have to win the division to get into the playoffs.  Sure, it's a stretch (and I can hear Jim Mora now) but they said the same thing in 2012.   Here's my usual disclaimer - I'm not comparing AR to AL.  No way, shape, or form.

If the Colts don’t win the division it’s hard to imagine they’re making the playoffs as a wildcard.   The AFC is loaded like never before.    I think for the Colts, this year, it’s win the South or it’s go home.  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the Colts don’t win the division it’s hard to imagine they’re making the playoffs as a wildcard.   The AFC is loaded like never before.    I think for the Colts, this year, it’s win the South or it’s go home.  

It is loaded, which means everyone is beating up on each other.  The other three divisions all have pretty evenly matched teams.   The Jags are the best in our, but neither the Texans nor Titans are going to be very good.

A 9-8 record could get a wildcard spot.  

I’m not expecting it, but I won’t be shocked if it happens. All depends on how fast AR5 gets up to speed.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Same deal..I'll take the over 6

I have no interest in a bet that would have me rooting against my favorite team.   I’d always rather be wrong if it means the Colts are doing better than expected.   I’m guessing 6-7 wins.  But if the Colts surprise and win 8 or 9 I’m going to be as happy as everyone else.   

There’s no upside to your offer.    I don’t think you know me as you think you do. 

2 hours ago, Bbswatching said:

In that scenario.  Cardinals would have the number 1 pick.  Which means they would probably take Harrison Jr.  

If the Cards pick #1 next year, I’d have to imagine they’d be wanting a new QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

if we get number 1 we have to go qb , with mobile qbs they are more prone to injury, it does not hurt to have 2 top prospects

18 hours ago, Smonroe said:

This is your subjective opinion and one shared by a lot of Colts fans. I’ve yet to see anyone outside the Colts fanbase say we have a better team than the Titans though. I think we’re currently a little better than the Texans, but the Titans have consistently been better than us for a few seasons now. 

This is my subjective opinion too, but that’s backed up by a lot NFL experts. 

I think a lot of Colts fans are confusing potential with definite wins. We have an inexperienced CB room, a young WR room and a young TE room. We Just drafted a QB and have a rookie HC. We have questions at OL and possibly LB and S. We also have a pretty young team of athletic freaks and an easy schedule. I could see us winning anywhere between 4 and 9 games this season, but if I had to put money on it, I’d say 5-6 wins. It’ll take time to adjust to Steichen’s scheme - even for the veterans. The youngsters need coaching. Our overpaid Oline NEED to get their poop together. 

17 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

How did all of them think the Giants would fare last year?

Where’d they have the Texans? The Bears? The Lions? The Falcons? The Jets?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, C_Lew said:

If the Cards pick #1 next year, I’d have to imagine they’d be wanting a new QB.

I think the original poster reasoned that Cards have good chance to pick #1 because Kyler will be missing games due to ACL injury and it's easy to tank. 

But agreed, it will be a good opportunity to move on from Murray. 

18 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Every one - I mean - EVERY ONE - of us has an opinion.

The only difference is - they get paid $$$ for their opinions.

I don't really care what the media pundits say and/or predict - they were GROSSLY wrong about how the 2023 NFL Draft would go - from the git go!!

what was gross about how the pundits predicted Draft would go? 

Almost everyone predicted Young to be #1 pick from the offseason start, there were oscillations but they all thought Panthers would go with Young, especially on the eve of the draft. 

Daniel Jeremiah even predicted in his last mock draft that Texans would draft Stroud at #2 and move up to #3 for Anderson. You can't predict better than that as a pundit. 

Most thought Colts were going for Levis as they thought Colts will go for a QB who is more ready now but they also said it is what the league (other teams) were talking about, and they were not sure what Colts would do. 

Now, we can bring up all the predictions that were utterly wrong but that's how "Predictions" would usually work. It's a prediction, it is bound to go wrong. Not a single person in the world can have ears in all 32 teams draft rooms, and that would be a crime. 

There's nothing Gross about predictions going wrong, and it actually didn't go very wrong this time especially. 

If we give importance to random Twitter accounts and guys on predicting draft, that would be our mistake in believing them. 

But, if you read carefully final notes from the top experts and sources on the eve of the draft, they pretty clearly lay out what they hear from around the league on what all 32 teams are trying to do. While these insights don't necessarily tell which players would be drafted by teams but they give very good information and logic behind what they think each team would do. 

I cant really see the Colts doing that bad this year unless the OL plays as poorly as it did early last season. If that's the case, then Ballard should have a very toasty seat for not making the necessary changes there all offseason.

I expect a 6 win season more or less.

• Like 1

I have to be honest, I have never heard of this guy and I call into CBS radio a lot, talk to the hosts, etc.. Doesn't matter, most analysts/media think we will stink. I think if Taylor and Leonard come back at 100% and AR5 plays average to above average we can win 8 or 9 games. Another reason why I feel like this, I think Shane will be a good coach. Last season we lost so many close games in the strangest ways. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

This is your subjective opinion and one shared by a lot of Colts fans. I’ve yet to see anyone outside the Colts fanbase say we have a better team than the Titans though. I think we’re currently a little better than the Texans, but the Titans have consistently been better than us for a few seasons now. 

This is my subjective opinion too, but that’s backed up by a lot NFL experts. 

I think a lot of Colts fans are confusing potential with definite wins. We have an inexperienced CB room, a young WR room and a young TE room. We Just drafted a QB and have a rookie HC. We have questions at OL and possibly LB and S. We also have a pretty young team of athletic freaks and an easy schedule. I could see us winning anywhere between 4 and 9 games this season, but if I had to put money on it, I’d say 5-6 wins. It’ll take time to adjust to Steichen’s scheme - even for the veterans. The youngsters need coaching. Our overpaid Oline NEED to get their poop together. 

Where’d they have the Texans? The Bears? The Lions? The Falcons? The Jets?

Of course, every opinion is subjective, and way too early, as he said in the article.  Not that it really matters, but the consensus opinion on the Titans is that they’re in a rebuild mode.  Most of the respected analysts have said that.  Doesn’t mean that they still won’t beat us, I get that.

You’re spot on about potential vs actual performance.  And I may be overly optimistic.   But I think AR5 is going to come along faster than most expected.  The Oline (and the entire running game) will benefit from his mobility, and the X and Z receivers will have a lot more single coverage.  

I also expect the D backfield to take some lumps early, and I don’t have a lot of faith in the front four getting to the QB.

All that being said, I would not be surprised with anywhere from 5 to 11 wins.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

what was gross about how the pundits predicted Draft would go? 

Almost everyone predicted Young to be #1 pick from the offseason start, there were oscillations but they all thought Panthers would go with Young, especially on the eve of the draft. 

Daniel Jeremiah even predicted in his last mock draft that Texans would draft Stroud at #2 and move up to #3 for Anderson. You can't predict better than that as a pundit. 

Most thought Colts were going for Levis as they thought Colts will go for a QB who is more ready now but they also said it is what the league (other teams) were talking about, and they were not sure what Colts would do. 

Now, we can bring up all the predictions that were utterly wrong but that's how "Predictions" would usually work. It's a prediction, it is bound to go wrong. Not a single person in the world can have ears in all 32 teams draft rooms, and that would be a crime. 

There's nothing Gross about predictions going wrong, and it actually didn't go very wrong this time especially. 

If we give importance to random Twitter accounts and guys on predicting draft, that would be our mistake in believing them. 

But, if you read carefully final notes from the top experts and sources on the eve of the draft, they pretty clearly lay out what they hear from around the league on what all 32 teams are trying to do. While these insights don't necessarily tell which players would be drafted by teams but they give very good information and logic behind what they think each team would do. 

Thank you for sharing your insight.

However - opinions are opinions - and - everyone has one.

23 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think winning the south may require less wins than the third wild card will. I think 9 or maybe even  8 wins wins the division. I think ties and tie breakers may play heavily in the crowning of the AFC South Champion....Lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think winning the south may require less wins than the third wild card will. I think 9 or maybe even  8 wins wins the division. I think ties and tie breakers may play heavily in the crowning of the AFC South Champion....Lol.

It's very possible.  The Jags are obviously the favorites, but are they really that much better than us and the other teams in the division?  Matt Ryan torched them in our win...Matt Ryan!  I'd say we're at least as good as the other two teams.

With mostly the same opponents, I think our chances are decent assuming AR5 plays like we expect.  Not like a superstar, but a just as a guy who makes the defenses worry about the RPO, which opens up the receivers and gives JT that extra half second.

I understand that the D is going to be raw, but it's not much worse than the Titans or Texans.  Middle of the pack last year.

Like you said, maybe 8 or 9 wins takes the division.  Who knows...

• Like 1