Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What are the Colts "waiting" for?

nyyankeechris

Is it just me, or do others share their own concern as to why on earth we haven't signed a free agent veteran guard yet?

I really feel that protecting our new franchise QB should be plan 1 and 1A

Who is still left out there that could really help that void?

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Meh. We may have drafted our new RT. Move Smith to RG and call it good. Always time to pickup a vet this summer. 

it doesnt make sense money wise to pay smith 20 million to play guard .    nelson is a generational talent at guard and that is the only reason he makes that much .   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Meh. We may have drafted our new RT. Move Smith to RG and call it good. Always time to pickup a vet this summer. 

Posters on this board are obsessed with the idea of moving Smith to RG, I see it mentioned all the time. The Colts have given no indication that its something they are considering, and to move a good RT to guard for an unknown at RT would be a stupid risk to take. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Our new RT is KNOWN to have Superior athleticism, something that Smith has shown year after year that he is lacking. Smiths run blocking, in a confined space is excellent, out in space, it just doesn't get it. He has hurt our effectiveness running screens because of his mediocrity in getting good blocks out in space.

Wise fans understand these issues, and should be praying that we can improve the overall play at RT. And at RG.

Who do you see as our backup to Q?

Smith was briefly moved to guard last season, this is your clear indication. 

Steichen will get the best 5 on the field, and that will change as the season goes on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nyyankeechris said:

Is it just me, or do others share their own concern as to why on earth we haven't signed a free agent veteran guard yet?

Hopefully he’s learned from last seasons fiasco at RG (and LT), and they bring in some veteran competition.   At least he addressed T depth in the draft. 

Right now it’s Fries, Pinter (h*ll no) and Ekiyor.  But there’s so much money invested in 3 players, I can’t see Ballard bringing in a guy like Risner.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it doesnt make sense money wise to pay smith 20 million to play guard .    nelson is a generational talent at guard and that is the only reason he makes that much .   

Smiths salary is a fixed cost, and has NOTHING to do with what the best starting 5 will be this season. One thing is certain, our new RT was drafted to be the next RT for a reason, so you naysayers might as well get over it.

It is just a matter of when!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Smiths salary is a fixed cost, and has NOTHING to do with what the best starting 5 will be this season. One thing is certain, our new RT was drafted to be the next RT for a reason, so you naysayers might as well get over it.

Freeland was drafted to be the swing tackle this season.  But competition is a good thing.  

He may end up being our LT in the future, who knows.  

I just want to know who are all those sayers of nay that you refer to?  (Are they Knights?)

45 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

how do you know our 4th round pick is even starting you are making assumptions  he could just be depth .   fries played okay and i bet he starts this season

• Like 3

I agree with a couple of earlier posters...I don't get the obsession some have of moving Smith to RG. If things end up working out that way fine, but the fixation some seem to have with forcing it. Almost as bad as the posters who were determined to move Q to LT (maybe the same group,  don't remember who was in that camp).:hairout:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It seems the Colts brass are simply counting on the same players (from last year) to vastly improve in 2023

That, and new coaching.  The two rookie T's look promising but I wouldn't count on either of them playing much this year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

If moving Smith to RG improves the team why do you worry about the money. Contract is signed, only effects his next contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Freeland was drafted to be the swing tackle this season.  But competition is a good thing.  

I just want to know who are all those sayers of nay that you refer to?  (Are they Knights?)

Agreed, Freeland looks more athletic than Raimann. He may end up our LT, you got Q by him. Would rather see Raimann at RT than RG. If none of this happens I'm good, best 5 on the field. If I rate how I see our OL right now its:

Q

BSmith

RKelley

BRaimann

Pinter if playing C

Rookies

Fries 

French

Smith is a year away from being ranked the 14th best Tackle in the nfl by PFF. This year was a down but that was the whole offensive line and for most of the season had a revolving door at RG. It would be a mistake to move him to RG. As others have said this forum wants to move Smith to RG almost as much as they wanted to move Nelson to LT. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/5/12/23068878/pff-ranks-the-colts-braden-smith-as-the-nfls-14th-best-offensive-tackle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, pkbrux said:

Posters on this board are obsessed with the idea of moving Smith to RG, I see it mentioned all the time. The Colts have given no indication that it’s something they are considering, and to move a good RT to guard for an unknown at RT would be a stupid risk to take. 

Agree 100%.  If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  RG is the only presumed weak spot right now not RT.  There is plenty of time to evaluate the position and bring in help if need be.  They addressed that position group with new coaches too.  The team knows improvement is needed.  It will play out to the good I think in due course.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Agree 100%.  If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  RG is the only presumed weak spot right now not RT.  There is plenty of time to evaluate the position and bring in help if need be.  They addressed that position group with new coaches too.  The team knows improvement is needed.  It will play out to the good I think in due course.

The line was extremely "broke" last year and Braden was part of the problem at RT.

I'm not saying moving Braden to guard is necessarily the solution but when you draft a bunch of tackles, no guards, and RG being the biggest hole/weakness... it's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

The line was extremely "broke" last year and Braden was part of the problem at RT.

I'm not saying moving Braden to guard is necessarily the solution but when you draft a bunch of tackles, no guards, and RG being the biggest hole/weakness... it's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

True. It’s going to be a competition (I hope). If Freeland shows he’s a better RT than Smith, he should get the job.   I doubt it, at least not this year.

I don’t think anyone can argue that Smith would be the best RG we have on the team right now.  But that’s not saying much.  

37 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

True. It’s going to be a competition (I hope). If Freeland shows he’s a better RT than Smith, he should get the job.   I doubt it, at least not this year.

I don’t think anyone can argue that Smith would be the best RG we have on the team right now.  But that’s not saying much.  

No, the question is or will become, what is the best combination?

Smith-Freeland

Fries-Smith

For years, many have noted Smiths deficiencies at RT. It isn't some mirage, some myth. It's visible before the eyes.

We want a Better combination. That is all. I believe Saturday would have recommended it. And our draft spoke to it.

WHY would you pay a higher salary for a veteran guard that other teams have failed to sign since the start of free agency?

Chris Ballard made it a point to trade up and down in the draft - securing a total of 12 players - when he started with 8 picks.

Patience people - it takes time to determine you starters and the regular season is several months away.

There's no way to tell - at this point - who will and won't be with the team - AND - exactly what positions they will play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Maybe next year Freeland might show something.  Not this year not the way he got pushed around in the senior bowl.  Hopefully he can be an adequate swing tackle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

the line played much better towards the end of the year .  it was a down year for the whole line , one bad year doesnt mean give up on smith .     smith played a whole year before without giving up a sack he has been very good for most of his career so far .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, esmort said:

I agree with a couple of earlier posters...I don't get the obsession some have of moving Smith to RG. If things end up working out that way fine, but the fixation some seem to have with forcing it. Almost as bad as the posters who were determined to move Q to LT (maybe the same group,  don't remember who was in that camp).:hairout:

I've expected Smith to move back to guard almost since he was drafted. I never thought it would make sense to move Nelson though. It seems to me it makes a lot more sense to move from tackle to guard than the other way around.

10 hours ago, nyyankeechris said:

Probably because we not in win now mode so rather let the young guys battle it out and get better for the future 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, sb41champs said:

WHY would you pay a higher salary for a veteran guard that other teams have failed to sign since the start of free agency?

Chris Ballard made it a point to trade up and down in the draft - securing a total of 12 players - when he started with 8 picks.

Patience people - it takes time to determine you starters and the regular season is several months away.

There's no way to tell - at this point - who will and won't be with the team - AND - exactly what positions they will play.

Agreed.

Also, I'm still intrigued by what we got in Emil Ekiyor.  Lindy's Draft Guide had him projected as a 5th rounder.  Now, if we'd spent one of our many 5th rounders on him, there would have been cheering from these boards that we "addressed" the right guard position.  Yay!  But instead, we got him as an undrafted free agent.  Meh.  I supposed we didn't "address" it.

With what we've done in Freeland and Ekiyor, there are a lot of mix-and-match possibilities out there for our new OL coach to try.  I'm not unhappy with what we did.

• Like 4

I am ok having a young CB room and letting them play and learn. I am not ok though with this Oline because that directly impacts the young QB who needs stability around him to succeed. We need a vet or two on the Oline. I hate we are basically running it back with young draftees and what we had last year. That guy that went to Alabama with those 40 starts might end of being the future there though.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Probably because we not in win now mode so rather let the young guys battle it out and get better for the future 

But if you want the young QB to grow and succeed that is one area you need experience. There is not room to grow and learn with a Oline when it directly impacts your young QB. That QB needs to be set up to succeed.

7 hours ago, Matabix said:

If moving Smith to RG improves the team why do you worry about the money. Contract is signed, only effects his next contract. 

Yeah it wouldn’t matter because the other guy would be on a rookie contract and your paying smith the same no matter where he plays. I won’t be opposed of that happening of the other guy is good at RT. When Braden played guard last year he was a bull. But you don’t want to weaken RT because Smith is very good there.

11 hours ago, pkbrux said:

Posters on this board are obsessed with the idea of moving Smith to RG, I see it mentioned all the time. The Colts have given no indication that its something they are considering, and to move a good RT to guard for an unknown at RT would be a stupid risk to take. 

Funny how you forget he was drafted as a Guard and the Colts slid him back into Guard last year around week 5 in an attempt to “fix” the line…..so I wonder why you think they’d not considered it this offseason? I mean they drafted two highly talented and athletic Offensive Tackles - not guards, but Tackles. 

I would be careful who on this board you call stupid my friend…..

Blake Freeland started at RT his first two years at BYU and then LT the last two years and has given up 1 sack, 7 QB Hits and 18 hurries in that timeframe……I see no reason why he couldn’t be our starter at RT and slide Smith back into guard (large contract or not). 

The other option is Ekiyor at RG. In his three years as a starter at Bama he gave up 2 sacks, 9 QB hits and 34 hurries in the SEC. 

I don’t doubt that the front office is not not looking, but they aren’t looking for a starter anymore. Between Pinter, Fries, Smith, Ekiyor and Freeland our two starters are already on the roster!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Nice Monty Python reference for “Ni”sayers :) 

21 hours ago, nyyankeechris said:

This sounds like one of those "Why hasn't Ballard been agressive, move to #1 and sell the whole farm to go get our quarterback" arguments.  Turns out Ballard knew what he was doing when he stayed at #4.  And from that move he got the best player in the draft just like he said he would, and we drafted 12 players.  Why am I saying this?  Because maybe they've assessed the OL situation properly as well.  Jeff Saturdays whole purpose for being the interim head coach in my opinion was to give Irsay and Ballard a first hand assessment of what the OL issues were and tell them if it was schematic or personnel related.  He made moves to fix the issues.  One of those was to put in a consistent lineup of guys, build continuity and simplify things.  They started to play better as the season moved along.  I think whatever he recommended we moved along with that and have included that in whatever strategy we used in the draft.  Also for whatever we are doing right now.  Im saying all this to say Im sure Ballard is very in tune with why we have not signed a veteran guard like you want.  Just because there were problems last year doesn't mean Ballard is incompetent for not doing what we think is the solution for the problem.  They may feel we already have that answered.  Who knows, but it's not time to panic.

14 hours ago, coming on strong said:

the line played much better towards the end of the year .  it was a down year for the whole line , one bad year doesnt mean give up on smith .     smith played a whole year before without giving up a sack he has been very good for most of his career so far .  

The line hasn’t been good since the Covid year.  Godawful terrible last year and not very good at all particularly in pass pro the previous year.

• Like 2

Here's my $0.02 on the matter regarding moving Smith from RT to RG:  Braden was originally drafted to be our RG, every scouting report on him stated he was best suited to play RG, he was moved to RT as the Colts did not have better options at the time.  He has been good to serviceable at RT, he could be All-Pro at RG (IMO).  If there is a player who is a better fit at RT, why would you not want him to be our RG?  Freeland or Witt (or possibly a veteran RT) could push Smith to RG and solidify the OL.  The Colts need to Kelly to either get back to previous years level of play or replace him (Pinter?).  My ideal starting OL:

LT- Raimann

LG- Nelson

C - Kelly

RG- Smith

RT- Freeland

My ideal starting offense:

QB- Richardson

RB- Taylor, Moss

WR- Pittman, Pierce, Downs

TE- Woods, Granson, Ogletree, Mallory

I listed backups as different lineups are needed based on yards to go, score of the game, matchups.

Again, this is just my opinion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Funny how you forget he was drafted as a Guard and the Colts slid him back into Guard last year around week 5 in an attempt to “fix” the line…..so I wonder why you think they’d not considered it this offseason? I mean they drafted two highly talented and athletic Offensive Tackles - not guards, but Tackles. 

I would be careful who on this board you call stupid my friend…..

Blake Freeland started at RT his first two years at BYU and then LT the last two years and has given up 1 sack, 7 QB Hits and 18 hurries in that timeframe……I see no reason why he couldn’t be our starter at RT and slide Smith back into guard (large contract or not). 

The other option is Ekiyor at RG. In his three years as a starter at Bama he gave up 2 sacks, 9 QB hits and 34 hurries in the SEC. 

I don’t doubt that the front office is not not looking, but they aren’t looking for a starter anymore. Between Pinter, Fries, Smith, Ekiyor and Freeland our two starters are already on the roster!

I'll expand on it. He played RG for 2 days last training camp. Someone who was at camp pointed that out.

I don't know that there's a FA out there who is markedly better than what they have.  Risner is probably the best guy available and he's been marginal at best through that first contract.  Maybe he'd help us I suppose, or maybe not.  But do you go pay him to take that chance and is the need dire enough to drive that.  

• Like 1