Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Man, I was just about to say the same thing. I thought about that, the Levis stuff possibly being a smoke screen, but Ballard just really seems to not have any interest in deception. Especially with his whole “sidebar” rant in the post-pick presser. Which definitely seemed related to CJ Stroud, especially considering Stroud said Ballard checked in on him a lot.

Yeah, Ballard seems like he's really genuine person in general. Someone who has no time or patience for nonsense and games. And maybe that's why he's so liked in the league. I have my issues with some of his philosophies but on this I love how he handles himself. 

• Like 2

Just now, DattMavis said:

Steelers absolutely draft him. They’re crazy if they don’t, and their fans will riot.

Am I crazy that I kinda hope Mayer falls to us?…

No. We have a lot of options, but I’m hoping for Porter Jr or Mayer myself. 

Decent chance one of them is there at 35 too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Not watching, can you explain?

Just now, stitches said:

Did a mea culpa on pushing "The Colts love Levis" for the last few weeks. 

Yep Basically I listen to the wrong people and said there was NOTHING coming out of the Colts  The media was wrong 

4 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Yep Basically I listen to the wrong people and said there was NOTHING coming out of the Colts  The media was wrong 

One of the few people who said they have heard anything about Richardson to the Colts was Dane Brugler from the day before the draft. And he didn't use the nebulous "people around the league think this or that".... he was as specific as he could be - his source was a scout from the Chiefs that Ballard was scouting  with in the past. He said that source told him "If I had to guess, it's Richardson" 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There were local guys also saying the same thing.    And simply saying the national media is ridiculous.   There are literally dozens and dozens of NFL analysts at the national level.  

There’s a variety of opinion.   But all you can do is blast NATIONAL MEDIA.   You don’t know who so you blast everyone.   It’s the same nonsense that most media haters here do.   Blast the big group they don’t like.   It’s old and tired and wrong. 

Funny how I don’t see you blasting local media?   They got plenty wrong too.   But nothing from you. 

Funny how I don’t see you blast many posters here who also got it wrong. 

People here don’t know or understand media.    It’s entirely predictable.  

Unfortunately, it's a sign of the times. When in doubt, blame "the media" rather than dig deeper. "The media" can mean the TV, the radio, your aunt, your cousin, brother, neighbor, or anyone who disagrees with your opinion. It's all "the media" and don't you dare question or it's against their first amendment rights. I know you know all this bias, but just putting it out there that it bothers those of us who haven't been in the media before. It's extremely tiring (and not just in sports).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh don't get me wrong... I've blasted local media too... in fact I didn't include them because I don't have high expectations for them. JMV has been harping on his Levis info for like ... 5 months. Non stop, every day... every time he talks about the draft it was "I have this info that they love Levis" ... on and on and on... but I've given up on the local Indy media long ago... 

With that said a lot of the other local guys were much closer to the truth in this specific case. Especially Holder... 

Local media SHOULD be closer.   They have one team to cover.    National media has 32 teams to cover.   There’s just no comparison, especially for a small market team which imploded this past year.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

Honestly I doubt it... Ballard had a chance to let the Levis thing go and keep the illusion and the first chance he got to refute it, he did it... BEFORE THE DRAFT. If ONLY anyone wanted to listen... I feel like Ballard is incapable of releasing a smokescreen. He seems incredibly honest and forthright with everything he says. He won't tell you the exact pick... but he will give you all the information you need to get really close to it... 

You think Ballard is so honest he wouldn’t put out a smoke screen?    

The Colts sent everyone to the Levis workout.   They only sent Morocco Brown to AR’s pro day.   Total smoke screen.   And that was when they knew their interest was with AR and not Levis.   Ballard is incredibly honest.   But he’d lie to your face and my face if it suited his needs and he should.  Info is gold. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Ballard is so honest he wouldn’t put out a smoke screen?    

The Colts sent everyone to the Levis workout.   They only sent Morocco Brown to AR’s pro day.   Total smoke screen.   And that was when they knew their interest was with AR and not Levis.   Ballard is incredibly honest.   But he’d lie to your face and my face if it suited his needs and he should.  Info is gold. 

The Colts sent everyone to every of the big QB's workouts. They were on a trip with the team plane - starting from California on the Monday for Stroud and Young workouts, Utah on Tuesday(for Jaren Hall), Florida on Wednesday and Kentucky on Thursday - it was the same people on the same trip. 

On the pro-days they sent local area scouts to Ohio State, Alabama and Kentucky..... and they sent Marocco Brown to AR's pro-day. Is that a smoke screen or the opposite? 

40 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

It's right there..... he's gonna play early, more than most think.

Ballard also said let’s not crown him yet and some rookie QBs sit a year.  I do think he will play but I think Minshew starts day one and they will have packages for Richardson and slowly work him into the offense.  He has a lot to learn (more than any QB taken in the first round in a while) and that’s going to take time.  Like Ballard said they took him for what he CAN be.  It’s going to take a little while to develop that and the Colts know it.  The worst they can do is rush him and play him more than he should before he’s ready.  

12 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Unfortunately, it's a sign of the times. When in doubt, blame "the media" rather than dig deeper. "The media" can mean the TV, the radio, your aunt, your cousin, brother, neighbor, or anyone who disagrees with your opinion. It's all "the media" and don't you dare question or it's against their first amendment rights. I know you know all this bias, but just putting it out there that it bothers those of us who haven't been in the media before. It's extremely tiring (and not just in sports).

Media has literally crumbled in the more than 40 years since I first got in.    And on every level.   Local and national.   And it’s only getting worse.   How do you restore it?   How do you regain trust?   It takes decades to earn it, but can be lost in the blink of an eye these days.   

And it’s not just sports.   It’s politics, regular news, even entertainment.  

Sorry for getting up on my soap box,  but it’s hard to watch a once respected and badly needed profession steadily evaporate.  

Sigh….      :giveup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Media has literally crumbled in the more than 40 years since I first got in.    And on every level.   Local and national.   And it’s only getting worse.   How do you restore it?   How do you regain trust?   It takes decades to earn it, but can be lost in the blink of an eye these days.   

And it’s not just sports.   It’s politics, regular news, even entertainment.  

Sorry for getting up on my soap box,  but it’s hard to watch a once respected and badly needed profession steadily evaporate.  

Sigh….      :giveup:

I agree. I avoided the dreaded "P" word because that's where the "media goblin" is worst and most feared. We need the media. Hell, our lives revolve around social MEDIA where we get all our info whether it's vetted or legit or not and I think that's a big part of the problem. It's all the "media" or even worse the "main stream media" which simultaneously discriminates against your team, the other team, Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.

But on topic, I was about 50/50 between Stroud (who was my favorite early) and Richardson (who grew on me like a fungus lol) so once Houston took CJ I was all in on AR. Now I just have to hope the pressure problems CJ had stay with him while hoping that Anthony's potential is reached. Let's go, Colts!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I think a lot of people don’t understand the difference between a beat writer and a columnist and just lump them together as “the media” even they serve two very different and important roles.  

The beat writer just gives you the facts and is and is supposed to be boring but they are just telling you facts and is very rarely wrong and when they are they often provide a retraction to protect their credibility.  

The columnist gives you an opinion which is much more exciting but since it’s an opinion it can be and often is wrong.  It’s also, much more influenced by that columnist personal view of the world.  

We live in a society where most people get their “news” from columnist because that’s entertaining so that’s what gets put on the radio and tv and draws people in.  However, since it’s columnists they aren’t always correct or even trying to be correct and are paid to present their feelings with their personal biases.  When someone who doesn’t see the world like them sees them be wrong it’s really easy to say oh look the media was wrong and lied to me.  When someone says that to me I normally ask where did they get their news from and was it an opinion and was it fact.  If it was an opinion that means it came from a columnist isn’t necessarily “news” or even meant to be news but often is treated as such.

Predicting who a team is going to draft is by its very nature an opinion.  Yes the person giving you the opinion will use news items to tell you why they feel the team is going to draft someone but it’s still an opinion and not news.  

News is with the fourth pick the Colts selected Anthony Richardson, QB from Florida.  Very boring but very cut and dry factual.  

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

The Colts sent everyone to every of the big QB's workouts. They were on a trip with the team plane - starting from California on the Monday for Stroud and Young workouts, Utah on Tuesday(for Jaren Hall), Florida on Wednesday and Kentucky on Thursday - it was the same people on the same trip. 

On the pro-days they sent local area scouts to Ohio State, Alabama and Kentucky..... and they sent Marocco Brown to AR's pro-day. Is that a smoke screen or the opposite? 

And that was when they knew their target was Richardson.  

Look…   I’ve pretty much disagreed with you about most everything all off-season.   We see most things differently.   I elected not to get into long drawn-out back and forth exchanges with you.   I chalked it up to seeing the same thing differently.   That’s been happening for you and me more during the last few off-seasons.   So be it.  

But when I read your blast of the media on a good night for the Colts, it was a bridge too far for me.   And I don’t care about ripping the media, but as GoColts8818 said,  these media types weren’t wrong.   They’re offering opinions and giving out best info available.   At this time of year, it’s Lying Season.   There’s plenty of mis-information out there.  Blaming people for not being perfect seems badly misplaced.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Richardson is a big gamble, and it has to work out for Ballard.  Picking him at 4 looks like a desperation move on Ballard's part.  It seems more like a dart throw than a thoughtful pick.

I wonder how many times he could have traded down, got plenty of picks to build his 4-12 team back up, and still got Levis. 

It's pretty obvious nobody wanted Levis.   The teams know something average Joe's don't.     

Also the notion that it is actually dart throw of desperation is absurd.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I agree. I avoided the dreaded "P" word because that's where the "media goblin" is worst and most feared. We need the media. Hell, our lives revolve around social MEDIA where we get all our info whether it's vetted or legit or not and I think that's a big part of the problem. It's all the "media" or even worse the "main stream media" which simultaneously discriminates against your team, the other team, Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.

But on topic, I was about 50/50 between Stroud (who was my favorite early) and Richardson (who grew on me like a fungus lol) so once Houston took CJ I was all in on AR. Now I just have to hope the pressure problems CJ had stay with him while hoping that Anthony's potential is reached. Let's go, Colts!

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply.  Really appreciate it.    I was mostly with you.  

I thought Stroud was the safest, until the test scores leaked out. 

I thought Levis and his background had a higher floor than Richardson.   

But while AR’s Boom or Bust reputation scares me, I decided to strongly support the choice if it sounded like Steichen was the driving force.  And from the sound of the Colts news conference tonight, it sure sounds like SS fell in love at first sight.   Ballard loves the upside, the potential, and SS believes he can get it out of him.  

So, I’m officially on the AR Train.   4 months ago, I feared him as much as anyone.   I’ve come a long way baby!  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And that was when they knew their target was Richardson.  

Look…   I’ve pretty much disagreed with you about most everything all off-season.   We see most things differently.   I elected not to get into long drawn-out back and forth exchanges with you.   I chalked it up to seeing the same thing differently.   That’s been happening for you and me more during the last few off-seasons.   So be it.  

I don't mind disagreements. I disagree with a lot of people around here and I'm having good faith cordial discussions with them about it. At the end of the day we are here to share into the excitement of our team and we all ultimately want the best for the team.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But when I read your blast of the media on a good night for the Colts, it was a bridge too far for me.   And I don’t care about ripping the media, but as GoColts8818 said,  these media types weren’t wrong.   They’re offering opinions and giving out best info available.   At this time of year, it’s Lying Season.   There’s plenty of mis-information out there.  Blaming people for not being perfect seems badly misplaced.  

My biggest gripe is the certainty and smugness some of them operate with, accompanied with certain needling of the team. And then the next important decision comes and they again do the same thing, despite being completely wrong(or if you want to put it euphemistically - despite giving opinions based on clearly bad info) on the previous one. And it doesn't even enter into their mind to ask themselves "Should I actually believe what that person told me, when it's clear they had no idea what they were talking about the last time". But for them it's more important to be able to say or write "league sources told me this"(i.e. people from other teams that are NOT the Colts)...

Definitely was worth the risk. This kid is more talented than Luck was and thats saying something loud. With the tools he has i got no problems with taking some time to iron out the flaws. Flaws that i think wont take a huge effort to over come. Im glad he was the pick bc i worried for a second that we were going Levis. Im on record as saying i liked Levis but as you know i felt his problems were as serious or worse than AR. And this is after all that NFL training and NFL people being around him. And having less talent than AR.

• Like 5