Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN’s Matt Miller says Colts Have Decided on QB

Defjamz26

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/4/14/23682757/indianapolis-colts-will-levis-fourth-pick

Says that the Colts have Levis over Richardson and that’s who they would take over him because they need a day 1 starter. 

He also says he doesn’t expect them to trade up to secure their QB. Obviously it’s lying season, but this is another case linking the Colts to Levis. 

It’s either definitely Levis or they are pushing that hard to throw everyone off the fact that it’s actually Richardson. Given how people think he isn’t ready to play year 1, it seems weird to think that someone would trade up in front of them for Richardson. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/4/14/23682757/indianapolis-colts-will-levis-fourth-pick

Says that the Colts have Levis over Richardson and that’s who they would take over him because they need a day 1 starter. 

He also says he doesn’t expect them to trade up to secure their QB. Obviously it’s lying season, but this is another case linking the Colts to Levis. 

It’s either definitely Levis or they are pushing that hard to throw everyone off the fact that it’s actually Richardson. Given how people think he isn’t ready to play year 1, it seems weird to think that someone would trade up in front of them for Richardson. 

Defj….

Im guessing you didn’t read the Matt Miller story, nor did you see my post about this in another thread.   

This is just a headline from Stampede Blue.   Because the story doesn’t say the Colts have decided.   It literally says the Colts have Levis ahead of AR right now because they favor having a guy who is more ready year one.    But it does NOT say the Colts have decided.   

That was just the takeaway by the Stampede writer.   And as far as I can tell, not a single reader caught the error.   It’s false.   To be clear, I’m not saying the Colts won’t ultimately take Levis, TBH,  I’m guessing they will.   I’m only saying they haven’t yet decided.   Period.  

Please read it.   If it’s behind a paywall, them I’m sharing that’s NOT what Matt Miller wrote.  

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Defj….

Im guessing you didn’t read the Matt Miller story, nor did you see my post about this in another thread.   

This is just a headline from Stampede Blue.   Because the story doesn’t say the Colts have decided.   It literally says the Colts have Levis ahead of AR right now because they favor having a guy who is more ready year one.    But it does NOT say the Colts have decided.   

That was just the takeaway by the Stampede writer.   And as far as I can tell, not a single reader caught the error.   It’s false.   To be clear, I’m not saying the Colts won’t ultimately take Levis, TBH,  I’m guessing they will.   I’m only saying they haven’t yet decided.   Period.  

Please read it.   If it’s behind a paywall, them I’m sharing that’s NOT what Matt Miller wrote.  

I read in the article where it stated that Miller said the Colts have Levis ahead of Richardson. It was quoted as if it came directly from Miller. You’re saying that’s not the case?

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I read in the article where it stated that Miller said the Colts have Levis ahead of Richardson. It was quoted as if it came directly from Miller. You’re saying that’s not the case?

The Miller statement comes from Miller.   He does NOT say the Colts have decided.   He says between AR and WL, that the Colts, as of now,  favor Levis because he will be more advanced, more Pro Ready than AR in their first year.  

But it was stated (to me,  at least) as if a final decision has not been made.   I think the SB writer misinterpreted or misunderstood Miller’s comment. 

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's just clickbait. No one knows what the colts are doing. There are no sources or leaks from the colts because Ballard would never allow it 

I think three people know. Sreichen, Ballard and Irsay. So if it is leaked those three will know who leaked it. Remember the Buckner trade? No one knew a thing till it happened

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Miller statement comes from Miller.   He does NOT say the Colts have decided.   He says between AR and WL, that the Colts, as of now,  favor Levis because he will be more advanced, more Pro Ready than AR in their first year.  

But it was stated (to me,  at least) as if a final decision has not been made.   I think the SB writer misinterpreted or misunderstood Miller’s comment. 

Got you. That part I get. Stampede Blue for clicks posted it as “Colts have Decided”. I get that that part is kind of made up and an exaggeration of what Miller said.

Personally I do think they have a guy in mind. The draft is less than 2 weeks away. I don’t think it’ll be a draft day decision. They’ve met with and/or worked out Levis and Richardson. Pro days and all that other stuff are done as well. The Colts know but based on what Holder (trust his word more than most) said about the team being tight lipped, I don’t think anyone else does.

This whole predraft process has become too long for me.  I checked out right after the combine and will become more interested a few days before the draft.  I understand it’s setup to create a lot of discussion and keep people interested in the NFL during the offseason.  No other league can create this much hype.  I believe the league did say they purposely have scheduled the SB, combine, draft, OTAs and other stuff so there is something every month to talk about. It’s brilliant but mock season gets old fast for me.  Everyone has a different opinion and most don’t even get it half right.  We will find out soon enough

54 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Got you. That part I get. Stampede Blue for clicks posted it as “Colts have Decided”. I get that that part is kind of made up and an exaggeration of what Miller said.

Personally I do think they have a guy in mind. The draft is less than 2 weeks away. I don’t think it’ll be a draft day decision. They’ve met with and/or worked out Levis and Richardson. Pro days and all that other stuff are done as well. The Colts know but based on what Holder (trust his word more than most) said about the team being tight lipped, I don’t think anyone else does.

I agree for the most part.  I bet they have their board pretty well set.  What will be a draft day decision, imo, is whether or not to try to move up to 3.

49 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This whole predraft process has become too long for me.  I checked out right after the combine and will become more interested a few days before the draft.  I understand it’s setup to create a lot of discussion and keep people interested in the NFL during the offseason.  No other league can create this much hype.  I believe the league did say they purposely have scheduled the SB, combine, draft, OTAs and other stuff so there is something every month to talk about. It’s brilliant but mock season gets old fast for me.  Everyone has a different opinion and most don’t even get it half right.  We will find out soon enough

It usually isn’t this bad but there’s a lot going on this year. The Lamar Jackson situation (hated that talk more than anything else), the wild mix of 4 top QBs, the original draft position of the teams picking top 5, and the crazy amount of coaching vacancies and their search processes definitely made this offseason leading up the draft drag on. Constant rumors and speculation. Every day NFL media and talking heads had a flavor of the week topic. 

During the season it was all about how because of the infatuation with Caleb Williams that suddenly Bryce Young and CJ Stroud were overrated. Then the crazy coaching rumors led by if our own Colts would keep Saturday perfect and where would Sean Peyton end up. Then when the season ended it was what would the Bears do at number 1 even though they have Fields. Then it was where would Carr and Jimmy G land. Then there was the Lamar think that dominated Twitter talk yo until a week ago maybe. 

The Colts fans got caught in the crossfire of it all as we had a need for a new HC and starting QB, which linked us to almost every major story that dominated the headlines. I just want the draft to be over and the Colts to get their QB from the draft so we can be move on and not have to be refreshing Twitter for insight on to who our coach or QB will be.

36 minutes ago, J@son said:

I agree for the most part.  I bet they have their board pretty well set.  What will be a draft day decision, imo, is whether or not to try to move up to 3.

If I’m Ran Carthon, I think I’d at least try to force the Colts to trade up.  But obviously, what happens at 3 will be heavily influenced by what the Texans do.

45 minutes ago, J@son said:

I don’t even think the board is set, because they have prospects visiting next week. 

47 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It usually isn’t this bad but there’s a lot going on this year. The Lamar Jackson situation (hated that talk more than anything else), the wild mix of 4 top QBs, the original draft position of the teams picking top 5, and the crazy amount of coaching vacancies and their search processes definitely made this offseason leading up the draft drag on. Constant rumors and speculation. Every day NFL media and talking heads had a flavor of the week topic. 

During the season it was all about how because of the infatuation with Caleb Williams that suddenly Bryce Young and CJ Stroud were overrated. Then the crazy coaching rumors led by if our own Colts would keep Saturday perfect and where would Sean Peyton end up. Then when the season ended it was what would the Bears do at number 1 even though they have Fields. Then it was where would Carr and Jimmy G land. Then there was the Lamar think that dominated Twitter talk yo until a week ago maybe. 

The Colts fans got caught in the crossfire of it all as we had a need for a new HC and starting QB, which linked us to almost every major story that dominated the headlines. I just want the draft to be over and the Colts to get their QB from the draft so we can be move on and not have to be refreshing Twitter for insight on to who our coach or QB will be.

I totally get it.  We need a QB and have the 4th pick plus Lamar is available. They gotta talk about something and people enjoy it. They make a lot of money bc of it and I don’t blame them. Colts are typically extremely tight lipped so that only leads to more speculation.  I can only take so much guessing before I tune it out and wait for the results. We are getting close so it will all unfold soon enough. I’m excited to see what the Colts do. 

Im not so sure it's a lock that Texans take Young if Reich takes C.J. Stroud in pick #1.....if he falls to 3 what will the cards do?  Texans might want AR-15 or Levis due to height concerns.  If any of these things happen, I think the Draft gets turned on its ear.

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I don’t even think the board is set, because they have prospects visiting next week. 

It’s been reported from various different people who have been in front offices that the board is basically set by the time the combine comes. Guys will slide up and down the board slightly after the combine, but it’s usually only a medical flag that will significantly change things for a team. The rest of the visits they have are just them doing due diligence. If I’m mistaken, I remember an article a few years back saying that most top 30 visits for teams are for determining UDFA and late round guys. That’s why you see guys from small schools be brought in so frequently.

It makes no sense that the logical options of Levis and Richardson haven't already been separated.

And I would believe that what separates them would cause the losers draft grade to fall significantly down our board. 

If true, we will be bidding for the 3rd pick and Irsay will pay the price.

Ballard's vote won't count, and that will be fine with him.

25 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It makes no sense that the logical options of Levis and Richardson haven't already been separated.

And I would believe that what separates them would cause the losers draft grade to fall significantly down our board. 

If true, we will be bidding for the 3rd pick and Irsay will pay the price.

Ballard's vote won't count, and that will be fine with him.

Just buy your #7 jersey now before they’re all sold out.  

Fait accompli.  

This year's draft has to be the hardest for Ballard. I believe Irsay is breathing down his neck to win now. When I look at the qbs this year this is how I see it.

Young is a day 1 starter, with limited ceiling. I don't see his availability high. 

Stroud is a day 1 starter, love his accuracy, don't see him improving much, but he's awesome now, as long as he got the weapons. He can take hits, and has a high availability ceiling. I think Stroud has a long career.

Levis might start eventually year 1, he has a little higher ceiling than the previous 2, but not as good right now. 

Richardson will most likely sit year 1, he has an extremely high ceiling, his long ball is very accurate right now but his short and intermediate throwing kinda stinks. Idk if Irsay has the patience to wait on this guy. He'll be great if Shane is the QB whisperer. 

Hooker I think he's day 1 starter as well, with little upside. I have him 3rd for day 1 starter behind Young, and Stroud. 

McKee could start day 1 with limited playbook. Decent ceiling, should have long career, most likely someone's back up, but wouldn't be the end of the world if he has to play some downs.

That being said I think the sweet spot in this draft is 25-60, anyother year these players would go in the 1st. So I would like to get as many picks 25-60 as I could and pick up QB late. We may only win 5 next year, but if we pick a QB in this 1st this year I see us 8 or 9 wins for years to come.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To the Op's title, how can the Colts be decided on what QB they want if they have no idea who will be there at #4? What if they want Levis but he goes 2nd, then what? Irsay tweeted over a month ago, he loved that kid from Alabama, what if he goes 1 or 2?

Teams usually have a better idea of how the draft will play out than anyone else. The reason the Chiefs trade up to 10 in 2017 is that from talking with his agent, they knew the Saints really liked Mahomes, so he wouldn’t get past 10. I think they know who will be there.

On 4/15/2023 at 6:42 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Duh.  They did back in October.  LOL.  The rest of this stuff has been "due diligence".

And they will even continue to say how much they like the other QBs who get drafted before them.  Even though they don't really like them as well as Levis, they aren't trading up so they have no chance of getting them.  Why not publicly praise those other QBs as much as everybody else does, ...including Colts fans who wanted them.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To the Op's title, how can the Colts be decided on what QB they want if they have no idea who will be there at #4? What if they want Levis but he goes 2nd, then what? Irsay tweeted over a month ago, he loved that kid from Alabama, what if he goes 1 or 2?

Because they think that the player they want as their first choice at pick 4 won't be taken before they pick.  It works that way with all other draft slots in every draft.

On 4/16/2023 at 3:24 AM, chrisfarley said:

Im not so sure it's a lock that Texans take Young if Reich takes C.J. Stroud in pick #1.....if he falls to 3 what will the cards do?  Texans might want AR-15 or Levis due to height concerns.  If any of these things happen, I think the Draft gets turned on its ear.

I would think that if HOU passes on Young, the only problem Irsay has is if they take Levis.   It seems like if HOU trades out, its because another team wants Young (not sure why, but he seems to be the higher rated QB).   So we are still left with what happens with AZ.

I think what the Colts are saying at this point is that they think Levis is going to be there despite what other teams do and don't do ahead of them.

I still think there is a good chance Ballard does a surprise trade up to 3 when AZ is on the clock.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Because they think that the player they want as their first choice at pick 4 won't be taken before they pick.  It works that way with all other draft slots in every draft.

@Defjamz26basically said the same thing, that is a hell of a gamble. It is not like we are picking 1st and can't go wrong when we picked Peyton and Luck.

On 4/16/2023 at 4:04 AM, Defjamz26 said:

It’s been reported from various different people who have been in front offices that the board is basically set by the time the combine comes. Guys will slide up and down the board slightly after the combine, but it’s usually only a medical flag that will significantly change things for a team. The rest of the visits they have are just them doing due diligence. If I’m mistaken, I remember an article a few years back saying that most top 30 visits for teams are for determining UDFA and late round guys. That’s why you see guys from small schools be brought in so frequently.

Yep.  The Colts brought in all of the QBs for a top 30, including I think Jaren Hall and Aiden O'Connell.  Other than that, it was mostly small school players.

The combine season and workout/visit season is just to make sure your ranking doesn't get blown up by some really bad performance that makes you take a second look at the ranking.   Its not really to say that this guy runs a 4.45 and the other QB runs a 4.7, so we now want the faster guy.  

I could see the combine help somebody like Stetson Bennett, where teams probably profiled him as not having 4.67 speed, 10 inch hands, and a ball velocity of 59mph, which are traits that can be worked with at the NFL level.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Defjamz26basically said the same thing, that is a hell of a gamble. It is not like we are picking 1st and can't go wrong when we picked Peyton and Luck.

What is interesting is what the Colts would do if Levis is gone.  Is all of this interest/praise for AR real, or would they take Will Anderson or even trade out and build the rest of the team.  With Gilmore gone, we only have feisty Rogers at Corner, for example.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What is interesting is what the Colts would do if Levis is gone.  Is all of this interest/praise for AR real, or would they take Will Anderson or even trade out and build the rest of the team.  With Gilmore gone, we only have feisty Rogers at Corner, for example.

We may roll with Mustache this year and see where the chips fall. Load up on defense. I will say this, if we don't take a QB this forum will be brutal for a while lmao 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We may roll with Mustache this year and see where the chips fall. Load up on defense. I will say this, if we don't take a QB this forum will be brutal for a while lmao 

this forum is going to be brutal for a while no matter what :P 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think it matters much, really, if we get that QB his year or next, or the next, or the next.  The AFC is too stacked for us to punch through to the top, even with a highly graded rookie who will undoubtedly fall short in any play off game facing Allen or Mahomes for a few years.  JMO.

Maybe even have difficulties winning the South, with Pedersen/Lawrence.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think it matters much, really, if we get that QB his year or next, or the next, or the next.  The AFC is too stacked for us to punch through to the top, even with a highly graded rookie who will undoubtedly fall short in any play off game facing Allen or Mahomes for a few years.  JMO.

Maybe even have difficulties winning the South, with Pedersen/Lawrence.

This is why I wanted Lamar but I know that won't happen, at least with him and Taylor + a good defense we could maybe win the division and be an entertaining team to watch.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is why I wanted Lamar but I know that won't happen, at least with him and Taylor + a good defense we could maybe win the division and be an entertaining team to watch.

I put a tiny bet on Ravens to win the SB with Lamar betting on himself like Flacco, now that OBJ is in the fold and their D was coming along really well at the end of last year. If you bet $50, you get $1250 as of right now, and so I did. :) 

Just now, chad72 said:

I put a tiny bet on Ravens to win the SB with Lamar betting on himself like Flacco, now that OBJ is in the fold and their D was coming along really well at the end of last year. If you bet $50, you get $1250 as of right now, and so I did. :) 

If Lamar stays in Baltimore, they will make the playoffs easily. I would also bet he somehow miraculously stays healthy lmao 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Lamar would carry us passed Allen or Mahomes without a greatly improved defense and skill players, which would be nearly impossible to get after giving up the capital to get Lamar.  Lamar has a better chance going to an NFC team, like all QBs do for a few years.

Archived