Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minshew or Rookie.. Do we have a Left Tackle to PROTECT them?

Old Colt

52 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

We will have a new QB regardless this season.  Can Raimann Protect them and make the 2nd year leap or do we need to find another?  Can't afford to lose any QB to injury!  :thinking:

Raimann got better and better as the season went on. Hopefully he develops even more during the off-season and as a full time starter. Right side of the line is more of the issue currently. 

25 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Raimann got better and better as the season went on. Hopefully he develops even more during the off-season and as a full time starter. Right side of the line is more of the issue currently. 

im not betting on Raimann. My guess is we replace him in the next 2 years. 

Raimann graded out very well last year when he played the back half of the season.  Gotta let the kid play.  I remember Venturi last year on draft night wanted the Colts to take him over Pierce.  He slipped in the draft and the Colts might have gotten a steal in him.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Raimann graded out very well last year when he played the back half of the season.  Gotta let the kid play.  I remember Venturi last year on draft night wanted the Colts to take him over Pierce.  He slipped in the draft and the Colts might have gotten a steal in him.

something about it seems off to me. I hope im wrong, and he becomes a franchise LT, but right now,. im getting the vibes he is a short term answer

25 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

im not betting on Raimann. My guess is we replace him in the next 2 years. 

Can’t make a full assessment on someone that didn’t play an an entire season and was thrust into the position. Give the kid a full offseason as the starter and not bandaid QBs to see what he can do. 

7 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Can’t make a full assessment on someone that didn’t play an an entire season and was thrust into the position. Give the kid a full offseason as the starter and not bandaid QBs to see what he can do. 

not an assessment, just a guess

7 hours ago, Old Colt said:

We will have a new QB regardless this season.  Can Raimann Protect them and make the 2nd year leap or do we need to find another?  Can't afford to lose any QB to injury! 

Gee, i bet we trade back and take a LT.

Raimann should be good, and fun to watch as Steichen uses his power and mobility in the run game. 

And yes his pass blocking was ascending so year two should be good.

22 hours ago, Old Colt said:

We will have a new QB regardless this season.  Can Raimann Protect them and make the 2nd year leap or do we need to find another?  Can't afford to lose any QB to injury!  :thinking:

Did you actually watch any games? Raimann did well and graded out good as a first time starter at LT.  

Left Tackle is the last of the Colts offensive line issue to worry about. 

One the Colts STOPPED the "musical chairs" on the offensive line - Raimann showed improvement in each game.

I'm satisfied with Raimann as our starter at LT this season.

We should consider RG the most important O-Line position to be addressed in this draft.

The Colts have already decided to keep Ryan Kelly for 2023.

21 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

something about it seems off to me. I hope im wrong, and he becomes a franchise LT, but right now,. im getting the vibes he is a short term answer

He was 25 last year. He's already entering his physical prime. He's als going to be 29 when he starts a new contract. In theory, his age should limit his upside (ability to add strength for one) and possibly whether he would get a big contract from Ballard. Ryan Kelly is 29 and many fans think he's washed and want him gone.

So there are definitely real reasons to have those vibes. 

Guess we will see how Raimann does in his second season.  If he fails than we should have a good shot of selecting Joe Alt (ND) to replace him.  From what I have seen Alt is a better LT than this year's draft class options.  Unfortunately, next year's draft class is much weaker at RG and OC.  Really hoping we can draft O'Cyrus to play RG this year since we haven't addressed the issue in FA yet. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Raimann was a top-10 LT the second half of the season.    So says PFF.    Raimann had a better rookie season than Castanzo did.   

He’s the Colts LT.   

Comparing rookie seasons. AC allowed 6 sacks in 418 pass block snaps. Raimann allowed 5 in 239. Penalties were 6 for AC, 7 for Raimann. AC was a huge contributor with 693 offensive snaps compared to 376 for Raimann. I really hope Raimann is The Guy but to say he had “a better rookie season” like it’s gospel is questionable. (I know you profess to only deal in just the facts ma’am,  so I humbly offer these stats up, your grace.) 

37 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Comparing rookie seasons. AC allowed 6 sacks in 418 pass block snaps. Raimann allowed 5 in 239. Penalties were 6 for AC, 7 for Raimann. AC was a huge contributor with 693 offensive snaps compared to 376 for Raimann. I really hope Raimann is The Guy but to say he had “a better rookie season” like it’s gospel is questionable. (I know you profess to only deal in just the facts ma’am,  so I humbly offer these stats up, your grace.) 

You listed some of the stats, but not all of them.   

Each had an overall grade, made up of a pass blocking grade and a run blocking grade.  

AC’s pass blocking grade is about two points higher.   But Raimann’s run blocking grade was about 13 points higher, which gave him an overall grade that is 5 points higher….   Roughly 73+ for BR to 68+ for AC.   

I’m fine with my comment.   You’re free to disagree.    Good luck. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You listed some of the stats, but not all of them.   

Each had an overall grade, made up of a pass blocking grade and a run blocking grade.  

AC’s pass blocking grade is about two points higher.   But Raimann’s run blocking grade was about 13 points higher, which gave him an overall grade that is 5 points higher….   Roughly 73+ for BR to 68+ for AC.   

I’m fine with my comment.   You’re free to disagree.    Good luck. 

Good discussion. I didn’t know all that. Until next time, good sir! 

19 hours ago, sb41champs said:

One the Colts STOPPED the "musical chairs" on the offensive line - Raimann showed improvement in each game.

I'm satisfied with Raimann as our starter at LT this season.

We should consider RG the most important O-Line position to be addressed in this draft.

The Colts have already decided to keep Ryan Kelly for 2023.

I think that was the one positive thing that the Saturday stint accomplished.  He put an end to the round robin OL assignments every week.  You're going to play there.  And you're going to play there.  And we stay this way.  Done.

To the OP's statement -- I think the question can always be validly asked as long as we have a non-pro bowl LT.

So... You hear that, Raimann?  Get to the pro bowl so we don't have to ask the question anymore.

17 hours ago, shasta519 said:

He was 25 last year. He's already entering his physical prime. He's als going to be 29 when he starts a new contract. In theory, his age should limit his upside (ability to add strength for one) and possibly whether he would get a big contract from Ballard. Ryan Kelly is 29 and many fans think he's washed and want him gone.

thanks for putting the words to my vibe

On 4/12/2023 at 9:53 AM, tfunky14 said:

Did you actually watch any games? Raimann did well and graded out good as a first time starter at LT.  

Left Tackle is the last of the Colts offensive line issue to worry about. 

I was at them, and saw the many holding calls because he was beat, many at critical times.  He did better in the second half of the season, but has to grow a lot if it is a rookie or even a vet at QB.  the whole OL needs to make a big jump.

7 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Good discussion. I didn’t know all that. Until next time, good sir! 

Honestly, after Raimann’s terrible first half of the season I did not think his second half was even possible.   I thought there was no chance he could improve that much in the same season.   So when all was said and done and I looked at his final grades I was beyond stunned.    

I don’t think PFF is perfect and never wrong, but I believe the grades are enough to say the kid dramatically improved and should have a bright future. 

Appreciate the discussion.   

On 4/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, shasta519 said:

HUH? his ability to get stronger with an entire offseason, in year 2, with Professional team trainers, is now limited because of his age? If he were 7-10 years older, maybe, not now by any paranoid stretch.

Archived