Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm excited because I saw Minshew play on TV personally when Hurts was hurt and he did really well. This was with Steichen as the Eagles OC who is now our HC. He has improved heavily. There is also the hidden possibility if our QB we draft at 4 is a bust, Minshew is young enough where he could be our franchise QB.

Man if Minshew becomes our franchise QB, that would be something else!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I am not even a big Lamar fan and I agree with this. 

Putting Lamar in Steichens system along with Taylor?  

Whats the worst thing that can happen? It doesnt work? 

It has a far better chance of working than just drafting a QB just because you need one.

Worst that can happen is it doesn't work,   give up 2 firsts and have a 200 million fully guaranteed contract

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Worst that can happen is it doesn't work,   give up 2 firsts and have a 200 million fully guaranteed contract

Thats the cost of aquiring a QB who is 26 and has a track record of winning games and performing at a high level tho. He has an MVP at 26 years old. How many guys in the draft this year will accomplish that? Probably none. And how many times does a 26 year old QB with a league MVP even come available? Never.

Is that any worse than having a QB who cant win in the NFL and wasting a couple years trying to figure that out? 

I dont think it is.

Lamar Jackson is 45-16 as a starting QB and he has played in 86% of the games since he became a starter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Thats the cost of aquiring a QB who is 26 and has a track record of winning games and performing at a high level tho. He has an MVP at 26 years old. How many guys in the draft this year will accomplish that? Probably none. And how many times does a 26 year old QB with a league MVP even come available? Never.

Is that any worse than having a QB who cant win in the NFL and wasting a couple years trying to figure that out? 

I dont think it is.

I find your posts consistently very informative.

But I don't understand your defeatist attitude nor how you have lost all reason over that QB, who will most likely never play in another Conference championship game. He had his 15 minutes.

I wouldn't sign him for $35M per for 5 years if they gave us a 1st.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont think it is.

I'm convinced. 

Trade far enough back in the first to pick up a first next year. Trade some firsts to move up and get a QB next year and save 200m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

I find your posts consistently very informative.

But I don't understand your defeatist attitude nor how you have lost all reason over that QB, who will most likely never play in another Conference championship game. He had his 15 minutes.

I wouldn't sign him for $35M per for 5 years if they gave us a 1st.

Why do you have faith in these college QBs who almost never work out.

Ive seen Lamar in the NFL. I know what he is.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm convinced. 

Trade far enough back in the first to pick up a first next year. Trade some firsts to move up and get a QB next year and save 200m.

Yeah and then the season happens, youre picking 8th next year and you have to give up 5 really high future draft picks to move up, and thats IF the team with the pick even wants to trade it. And they most likely wont.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

Why do you have faith in these college QBs who almost never work out.

Ive seen Lamar in the NFL. I know what he is.

Micheal Vick 2.0, he is good but he can't win a championship on his own. So you can't pay him like he can. He isn't a Mahomes, the money he is asking for makes it unsustainable to build a competitive roster around him...he does strike as a guy who would restructure or take a pay cut to compete as a whole. He's not a team player and I don't believe he raises the talents of those around him. He is 30 mil QB per year guy IMHO. Giants are fools for the money they paid Jones. And Cleveland ain't going no where with DeShawn salary. Mahomes is the only QB I currently see winning titles with that type of contract. Guys take lower contracts to play with Mahomes because they believe in him. I don't think Lamar is on that level.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Micheal Vick 2.0, he is good but he can't win a championship on his own. So you can't pay him like he can. He isn't a Mahomes, the money he is asking for makes it unsustainable to build a competitive roster around him...he does strike as a guy who would restructure or take a pay cut to compete as a whole. He's not a team player and I don't believe he raises the talents of those around him. He is 30 mil QB per year guy IMHO. Giants are fools for the money they paid Jones. And Cleveland ain't going no where with DeShawn salary. Mahomes is the only QB I currently see winning titles with that type of contract. Guys take lower contracts to play with Mahomes because they believe in him. I don't think Lamar is on that level.

Thats all speculation.

He has a 75% winning percentage, and that matters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

If he earns it, I’d be thankful we have him, but I have my doubts!

For what we paid I think we can get that value out of him. I look at like player efficiency rating in Basketball per contract money. Yes we want the high reward guy but that's 1 in 50-60 odds at QB. It's bang for the buck Until you hit gold at QB. Or you have to build an Oline an Defense that makes Quality vet QBs at the end of their contracts say damn slide me in for the win. Rodgers is drooling at the Jets Oline and D.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

While he is not on Mahomes level. You do have to consider the structure of the team. 

Better Coaching-Mahomes

Better Talent on Offence-Mahomes

Better Defense-Mahomes may be. I will have to research that one,

Mahomes is the best QB in the league and I don't want to take that away from him. But he was set up for success from the beginning. 

Lamar is a top 10 QB. I would put him top 5 when healthy myself. But he is heads and shoulders above the likes of Carr, Geno, and Watson.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Thats all speculation.

He has a 75% winning percentage, and that matters.

Who wants to pay SB money to a a guy who has only won one playoff game and has been significantly injured the last two seasons...He is a damn good player but he isn't ever going to bring home a Lombardi with his 

1 minute ago, Aaron86 said:

While he is not on Mahomes level. You do have to consider the structure of the team. 

Better Coaching-Mahomes

Mahomes is the best QB in the league and I don't want to take that away from him. But he was set up for success from the beginning. 

Lamar is a top 10 QB. I would put him top 5 when healthy myself. But he is heads and shoulders above the likes of Carr, Geno, and Watson.

Definitely top 6-7 healthy, I think Watson was better. I just think he isn't worth 25percent of a cap. And a lot of players take cuts to play with Championship caliber QBs. Why hasn't nobody done that with Lamar???

3 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

Better Coaching-Mahomes

The most important part, for me, is that he fits EXACTLY what our new coach wants to do offensively. 

Like I said before, I am not even a big Lamar fan, I understand people suggesting he wouldnt be the ideal guy......he certainly isnt my ideal guy.

But that doesnt mean he isnt our best option.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Yeah and then the season happens, youre picking 8th next year and you have to give up 5 really high future draft picks to move up, and thats IF the team with the pick even wants to trade it. And they most likely wont.

Yep, all speculation. 

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Who wants to pay SB money to a a guy who has only won one playoff game and has been significantly injured the last two seasons...He is a damn good player but he isn't ever going to bring home a Lombardi with his 

Definitely top 6-7 healthy, I think Watson was better. I just think he isn't worth 25percent of a cap. And a lot of players take cuts to play with Championship caliber QBs. Why hasn't nobody done that with Lamar???

Well he has a better chance at a Lombardi than Will Levis.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If it comes down to us taking Richardson or Levis, I am taking Richardson. I think he would fit our coach well too. Minshew could even start to begin the season if Rich isn't ready. Rich is the far better athlete compared to Levis and to me he comes off being much more humble after hearing each talk. I want a leader and someone that can decision make + run like the wind.

You talk about Levis but when i look at Richardson i just. I keep trying to sell myself on Steichen having a good plan for his development but I honestly think he may be worse than Josh Allen was as a college passer. Especially the Georgia game where he was just air mailing throws and running around aimlessly. The NFL is like facing Georgia multiple time a month. He didnt really have a great grasp on what he was seeing out there.

To me he was even struggling against USF throwing at least 2 picks in that game that were pretty simple reads. Hes got some tools but man this guy is pretty far behind in the passing game. I think Cam may also be a better design type runner than Richardson.   You definitely dont want to throw this guy out there as a starter day 1. I saw Pacman Jones on Pat Mcafee show and he pretty much agreed about Richardson nor being ready to start.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

The most important part, for me, is that he fits EXACTLY what our new coach wants to do offensively. 

Like I said before, I am not even a big Lamar fan, I understand people suggesting he wouldnt be the ideal guy......he certainly isnt my ideal guy.

But that doesnt mean he isnt our best option.

I’m not sure anyone knows enough about Steichen to know that the offense he wants to run is EXACTLY the one Alexander thrives in.  

I thought the takeaway on Steichen is that the Colts believe he can win with almost ANY style of offense? 

Am I misunderstanding your viewpoint? 

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not sure anyone knows enough about Steichen to know that the offense he wants to run is EXACTLY the one Alexander thrives in.  

I thought the takeaway on Steichen is that the Colts believe he can win with almost ANY style of offense? 

Am I misunderstanding your viewpoint? 

We already have a team in place. They have strengths and weaknesses. So no, I dont think Shane Steichen can succeed in any type of offense just because we draft a QB who plays a certain style.

25 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yep, all speculation. 

Im willing to have a discussion but if you're just gonna troll you should just move on. Im not easy to bother.

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

You talk about Levis but when i look at Richardson i just. I keep trying to sell myself on Steichen having a good plan for his development but I honestly think he may be worse than Josh Allen was as a college passer. Especially the Georgia game where he was just air mailing throws and running around aimlessly. The NFL is like facing Georgia multiple time a month. He didnt really have a great grasp on what he was seeing out there.

To me he was even struggling against USF throwing at least 2 picks in that game that were pretty simple reads. Hes got some tools but man this guy is pretty far behind in the passing game. I think Cam may also be a better design type runner than Richardson.   You definitely dont want to throw this guy out there as a starter day 1. I saw Pacman Jones on Pat Mcafee show and he pretty much agreed about Richardson nor being ready to start.

Right, drafting him is basically saying "I need to give this kid 3 years"......and if he cant play we are gonna suck * for 3 entire years.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Burrow as well who's already justified that kind of contract and high level of play with lesser talents and injuries along the OL. 

One other guy who has proven is Lamar, though his skill set and the level of play could be up and down, and could have a short shelf life as QB but he'd still have next contract worth of years. 

We also need to look at how much average QBs are getting around the league. Jones as you said and Cousins has been living on market setting fully guaranteed, no-trade claused contracts for over half a decade now. 

Market price of top talented QBs have gone very high for a decade now. As for Lamar, he's asking the market price as it goes up more than salary cap rises. It is what it is. 

Colts can think he'll not be able to stay healthy to be available and play at high level and win championships, that's fair enough. Same is true for Cousins as well, except he'd be healthy and available and of not much use in January and February. Same for more than half QBs in the league. In the end, can't complain about the money QBs get, smart franchises try to get the best of the top QBs during their prime or draft a successful franchise QB and even that's not a given every time they try. But you've gotta try. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

Well he has a better chance at a Lombardi than Will Levis.

Unless you can see the future this is TBD.  Yes Jackson is a great talent but he does have very real injury concerns.  There is also the fact we have no idea what Will Levis will be like as a pro.  There is also the fact Levis would be on a rookie contract vs Jackson getting a huge contract plus costing two first round picks.  So in theory it would be easier to put a team together around Levis to contend for a Super Bowl.  I would say if you mean just this season then yeah I would jackson is more likely to win a Super Bowl than any of the rookies but I also don’t think Ballard’s plan is to contend for a Super Bowl this season.  

This is all moot anyway because there is nothing saying the Colts are even looking at Jackson beyond fan speculation.  All the signs point to the Colts drafting a rookie QB if they do anything else at QB.  You don’t sign Minshew if you are planning to bring in Jackson.  First Jackson doesn’t need a veteran mentor and second Minshew isn’t even close to being the same kind of QB Jackson is to be a back up for him.  You do sign Minshew is you need a bridge QB either for a year or to get to a rookie QB.

It wouldn’t be popular and I don’t think it would result in a great season but they could roll with Minshew, Foles, and Sam and try to go QB next year if Ballard doesn’t like the QBs there at 4.  For the record I don’t think that’s what they will do but it could be an option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont think it is.

Lamar Jackson is 45-16 as a starting QB and he has played in 86% of the games since he became a starter.

Ask yourself this.   Why are the Ravens willing to let him go?  Why are teams not lining up to trade for him?

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ask yourself this.   Why are the Ravens willing to let him go?  Why are teams not lining up to trade for him?

The Ravens aren’t willing to let him go or they wouldn’t have tagged him at all.  They have publicly said they want him back and have tried to get a contract done with him.  They want to keep him.  They also could very well match any contract his signs to keep him.  They just didn’t use the exclusive tag because it costs more and they don’t think any team will give up two firsts for him and even if they do they can match it.  Make no mistake the Ravens are not shopping Lamar and are not trying to get ride of him.  They want him but I also think they want him to see they aren’t being unreasonable in not wanting to give him a Watson like contract but protected themselves if someone does.

I think the main reason teams aren’t trying to get him is two first round picks is a lot to pay for any player.  They, like the Ravens, also probably don’t want to give him a Watson like contract because they don’t want to give any player a contract like that.  It’s just not wise unless you have too.  Also, a lot of the teams that need a QB are rebuilding and giving up two first round picks and giving a huge contract to any player is really going to hurt your rebuild mood.  

Are the injuries a factor?  Sure, but I don’t think they are the deal breaker.  I do think that’s something else teams look at but I think if Jackson was truly on the open market and the Watson contract hadn’t happened teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him injury concerns and all.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Ravens aren’t willing to let him go or they wouldn’t have tagged him at all.  They have publicly said they want him back and have tried to get a contract done with him.  They want to keep him.  They also could very well match any contract his signs to keep him.  They just didn’t use the exclusive tag because it costs more and they don’t think any team will give up two firsts for him and even if they do they can match it.  Make no mistake the Ravens are not shopping Lamar and are not trying to get ride of him.  They want him but I also think they want him to see they aren’t being unreasonable in not wanting to give him a Watson like contract but protected themselves if someone does.

I think the main reason teams aren’t trying to get him is two first round picks is a lot to pay for any player.  They, like the Ravens, also probably don’t want to give him a Watson like contract because they don’t want to give any player a contract like that.  It’s just not wise unless you have too.  Also, a lot of the teams that need a QB are rebuilding and giving up two first round picks and giving a huge contract to any player is really going to hurt your rebuild mood.  

Are the injuries a factor?  Sure, but I don’t think they are the deal break.  I do think that’s something else teams look at but I think if Jackson was truly on the open market and the Watson contract hadn’t happened teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him injury concerns and all.  

I agree.   If he wasn't looking for a 200 million fully guaranteed contract teams would be interested.    But that is a deal breaker everywhere for a guy that runs as much as he does coming of a knee injury 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Ask yourself this.   Why are the Ravens willing to let him go?  

Because Ravens are one of the very few franchises who have a different formula, a very solid defense every year, consistent special teams and can win with almost any and backup QBs and qualify for playoffs every year. Their head coach is one of the smartest and successful coaches in a tough, physical and difficult division.

He has shown he can win without Lamar, and he has leverage in contract talks but Ravens haven't let Lamar go either because they also know they can't win a Super Bowl with their formula and they may need Lamar for that in his prime. 

Ask yourself this.   Why are teams not lining up to trade for him?

Money, and the fact that they know they would be used by Ravens as Dices in their contract negotiation game. 

Ravens are going to match their contract offer, unless someone gives an offer that Ravens can't match. 

So, the correct question is Why are teams not lining up to give Lamar Jackson an offer that Ravens can't match? 

Maybe, teams will do if it's Mahomes, but Lamar is not that level for sure. However, that doesn't mean that teams will give him the contract he demands after he's become free agent next year without the Ravens having any leverage over the contract offers. 

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Im willing to have a discussion but if you're just gonna troll you should just move on. Im not easy to bother.

Right, drafting him is basically saying "I need to give this kid 3 years"......and if he cant play we are gonna suck * for 3 entire years.

Ballard said he goes off the tape more than anything else. I just have a problem believing  knowing my knowledge of Chris Ballard and how conservative and well thought out he is. And knowing that he doesnt have a lot of time that he would make this pick this high. Levis seems like more of the type of project Ballard would take on. Hes way ahead of Richardson in the passing game. And he can run as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Unless you can see the future this is TBD.  Yes Jackson is a great talent but he does have very real injury concerns.  There is also the fact we have no idea what Will Levis will be like as a pro.  There is also the fact Levis would be on a rookie contract vs Jackson getting a huge contract plus costing two first round picks.  So in theory it would be easier to put a team together around Levis to contend for a Super Bowl.  I would say if you mean just this season then yeah I would jackson is more likely to win a Super Bowl than any of the rookies but I also don’t think Ballard’s plan is to contend for a Super Bowl this season.  

This is all moot anyway because there is nothing saying the Colts are even looking at Jackson beyond fan speculation.  All the signs point to the Colts drafting a rookie QB if they do anything else at QB.  You don’t sign Minshew if you are planning to bring in Jackson.  First Jackson doesn’t need a veteran mentor and second Minshew isn’t even close to being the same kind of QB Jackson is to be a back up for him.  

It wouldn’t be popular and I don’t think it would result in a great season but they could role with Minshew, Foles, and Sam and try to go QB next year if Ballard doesn’t like the QBs there at 4.  

The idea of just rolling with Minshew makes me ill. And Im a very positive person. I think they are in a position where they have to do something, and if Ballard liked any of these guys very much he makes that trade with Chicago to ensure he gets his man. He didnt, and that tells me he doesnt like any of them very much. So taking one now almost seems like desperation.

I dont think they are that willing to let him go, but I think he could force his way out. This is more about Lamar being upset at the Ravens than anything else. You outlined all the reasons people are hesistant very well. I just dont see any great options and Lamar is easily the most attractive to me. Him and Taylor together would make us unique and formidable.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ballard said he goes off the tape more than anything else. I just have a problem believing  knowing my knowledge of Chris Ballard and how conservative and well thought out he is. And knowing that he doesnt have a lot of time that he would make this pick this high. Levis seems like more of the type of project Ballard would take on. Hes way ahead of Richardson in the passing game. And he can run as well.

I dont really disagree with you here. Im just not that impressed with either guy. Richardsons potential is intriguing but go watch his Kentucky tape and tell me thats an NFL QB......Its pretty bad.

And Im not sure what Levis' potential even is? People say Josh Allen, but I see a less talented Jay Cutler. I know he battled some injuries last year so maybe Im wrong, but I just find it hard to get excited about him.

All Im really saying is if I had to choose I think Id rather roll the dice on Lamar. Thats all. I dont think any of these options are great really. They all have downsides.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, krunk said:

While I agree with this basically, you’ve written an entire post about which QB the Colts might take without mentioning the person who ultimately might make the final decision — Shane Steichen.   Honestly, I think at the very least, Steichen gets a lot of input.   And he might get the final call.  

At the moment, none of us knows….   Just saying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

While I agree with this basically, you’ve written an entire post about which QB the Colts might take without mentioning the person who ultimately might make the final decision — Shane Steichen.   Honestly, I think at the very least, Steichen gets a lot of input.   And he might get the final call.  

At the moment, none of us knows….   Just saying. 

Yes this is my opinion of course.  When i was growing up on the game i remember the GM doing all the shopping and the coach had little input. Thats changed now but i wonder to what degree? Yes Ballard did say he wont force a player on his staff so i guess thats most of the answer but i bet he had a strong opinion against it if it is so.  Whether Steichen listened i dont know.  Usually with picks this high and honestly many of his picks Ballard goes with somebody from his back yard. The Big 10 and other places like Kentucky that arent that far away. I will see if it pans out that way.