Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mutual interest in Re-Signing Parris Campbell.

Lawrence Owen

I spoke with Indianapolis Colts Free Agent Wide Receiver Parris Campbell today, and he said he really wanted to come back to the Colts, and that he and Chris Ballard have had multiple meetings the past few weeks about it.  Apparently he feels that the interest is mutual, and he hopes something can get done soon.

One of, but not the only reason is he loves the organization, and especially the fanbase. He also discussed how much Reggie Wayne changed his outlook and the way he approaches his position.  So bringing Reggie back as the WR coach was a good thing for him as well.

Would you want Parris Campbell back in Blue&White?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I spoke with Indianapolis Colts Free Agent Wide Receiver Parris Campbell today, and he said he really wanted to come back to the Colts, and that he and Chris Ballard have had multiple meetings the past few weeks about it.  Apparently he feels that the interest is mutual, and he hopes something can get done soon.

One of, but not the only reason is he loves the organization, and especially the fanbase. He also discussed how much Reggie Wayne changed his outlook and the way he approaches his position.  So bringing Reggie back as the WR coach was a good thing for him as well.

Yes.  Between Campbell, Pittman, and Pierce, I think we have a solid core.  Maybe not elite, but solid enough to win if we find the right QB.

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

Give him a one or two year prove it deal. I think that’s beneficial for both sides. Let’s see if he can stack another healthy and productive year and we give him a shot at earning better money next year. 

Why should Parris sign a prove it deal? He is entering his prime and has the talent. I'm sure there are other teams that would be happy to sign him to a contract. 

40 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why should Parris sign a prove it deal? He is entering his prime and has the talent. I'm sure there are other teams that would be happy to sign him to a contract. 

He hasn’t done enough to really warrant anything else. Also 600 yards isn’t something that people roll the checkbook out for.

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Thank you, Lawrence.   This is the kind of info I expected to come out this week.   I wouldn’t be surprised if the Colts offer PC his choice of contracts….  1 year, 2 years, 3 years….  Get the money right, but let PC decide how many years.   

I hope this works out.   I’d like to see Parris back with the Colts.   I think the kid has barely scratched the surface of what he’s capable of.   

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because he hasn't proven he can stay healthy and his talent has maxed out at 600 yards in one healthy season. What contract do you think other teams would give him? What contract do you want us to give him? 

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because he hasn't proven he can stay healthy and his talent has maxed out at 600 yards in one healthy season. What contract do you think other teams would give him? What contract do you want us to give him? 

That wasn’t PC’s talent that maxed out.   That was a bad OL and quarterback play that kept Parris to 600 yards.  

How do I know this?   Look at Pittman.  His YPC dropped roughly 2.5 yards per catch.  PC’s YPC dropped too.   The offense badly hurt all the Colts playmakers last year. 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That wasn’t PC’s talent that maxed out.   That was a bad OL and quarterback play that kept Parris to 600 yards.  

How do I know this?   Look at Pittman.  His YPC dropped roughly 2.5 yards per catch.  PC’s YPC dropped too.   The offense badly hurt all the Colts playmakers last year. 

What kind of contract would you give him? 

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

What kind of contract would you give him? 

That’s a very good question.  

Im confident that the Spotrac projection of $4.6 for two years ($2.3 per) is a bad comp.    But PFF I think has Procter roughly 3/20 +/-.     Not sure about that, but I think it’s closer to reality.  

My fear is that Reich might make a big offer.   He’s the one who has loved PC the most.   I don’t know if the Colts have to be highest bid?   Or do we just have to match or come close?    It’s hard to know?  

I'm hoping the Colts can sign him to a deal at roughly 6 or 7 per.   But I fear it could go to 8 per and I think the Colts would bow out.  

Just thinking out loud. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im confident that the Spotrac projection of $4.6 for two years ($2.3 per) is a bad comp.    But PFF I think has Procter roughly 3/20 +/-.     Not sure about that, but I think it’s closer to reality.  

My fear is that Reich might make a big offer.   He’s the one who has loved PC the most.   I don’t know if the Colts have to be highest bid?   Or do we just have to match or come close?    It’s hard to know?  

I'm hoping the Colts can sign him to a deal at roughly 6 or 7 per.   But I fear it could go to 8 per and I think the Colts would bow out.  

Just thinking out loud. 

Yeah, I remember on the 2019 version of "with the next pick", Reich was the big advocate for Parris and absolutely loved him. So that is definitely a possibility that the Panthers try and sign him, especially with their WR core as weak as it is.

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just thinking out loud. 

If he gets paid enough by another team to give us a compensatory pick, I wouldn't mind it... Reich and Sirianni and Eberflus are all welcome to outbid eachother for him... 

Yea I’d like to have him back but also address the WR position in the draft or FA. Another small separation guy like a Dell or Downs in The draft.  I want as many weapons and protection for the rookie QB as possible. I think Paris still has some untapped potential if he can stay healthy again this year.   

4 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

Yea I’d like to have him back but also address the WR position in the draft or FA. Another small separation guy like a Dell or Downs in The draft.  I want as many weapons and protection for the rookie QB as possible. I think Paris still has some untapped potential if he can stay healthy again this year.   

It's a very strong draft for no2 and no3 type WRs. That fits perfectly for us as we are taking a QB in the 1st round, so some of those WRs could trickle down to the 35th pick where we could get a strong WR2. Think Pittman in 2020.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you, Lawrence.   This is the kind of info I expected to come out this week.   I wouldn’t be surprised if the Colts offer PC his choice of contracts….  1 year, 2 years, 3 years….  Get the money right, but let PC decide how many years.   

I hope this works out.   I’d like to see Parris back with the Colts.   I think the kid has barely scratched the surface of what he’s capable of.   

I agree. I hope we bring him back too, because there were times last season that he was the fastest guy on the field. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just thinking out loud. 

I think an Eric Ebron type deal for 2 years for $14 mil. that can be reached with incentives might get it done, IMO. Panthers' cap situation is worse than ours and after releasing Matt Ryan, we will look much better. Plus the Panthers' QB situation isn't any better and we have the familiarity advantage for Parris with Reggie Wayne too. I don't think teams are going to get into a bidding war for a WR that has shown only 1 year of good health. Better playoff teams would be expecting to get players like him on the cheap, but only after pursuing more proven free agents early on in free agency. Most advantages lie with us if we are fair with our offer.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

His  talent is not close to being maxed out. Last season QB was bad for all the receivers and all 3 had good seasons.  Give him a coach that knows how to use him and a QB and he is a 1k yard WR

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

His  talent is not close to being maxed out. Last season QB was bad for all the receivers and all 3 had good seasons.  Give him a coach that knows how to use him and a QB and he is a 1k yard WR

That narrative is kind of tired. There’s no way to prove that. Also everything that Parris can do, Pierce can do as well. He had 25 less receiving yards with less targets and catches.

I guess I’m fine with signing him to a contract or letting him walk. Good potential but with a new coaching staff, system familiarity is not a factor now. He isn’t an obvious difference maker but I understand he has speed and talent.  I wouldn’t mind an incentive based deal where we can cut ties if he doesn’t make the next step.  I also wouldn’t mind if he signed elsewhere and we got a comp pick.  Either are fine bc PC is the type of player that offers value but still is replaceable.  Will watch and see what happens and be fine with whatever the Colts choose. 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I guess I’m fine with signing him to a contract or letting him walk. Good potential but with a new coaching staff, system familiarity is not a factor now. He isn’t an obvious difference maker but I understand he has speed and talent.  I wouldn’t mind an incentive based deal where we can cut ties if he doesn’t make the next step.  I also wouldn’t mind if he signed elsewhere and we got a comp pick.  Either are fine bc PC is the type of player that offers value but still is replaceable.  Will watch and see what happens and be fine with whatever the Colts choose. 

Thing is, there is nobody on the roster with his skills/talent.  He has the most wiggle of any receiver we have, so we'd have to rely on the draft to find his replacement or overpay for another team's FA.

I think PC has more value to the Colts than what he probably showed last year...which was a horrible year for the passing game and anybody involved with it.

We all know Ballard wants to sign his own drafted players.  It’s a priority for him if he thinks they are deserving of a second contract.  It sounds like they both want to get this done.  Campbell is the only player we are hearing about.  I’m optimistic this gets done.  If he gets to FA I think he’s gone.  Hopefully he’s resigned in the next couple of days.

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

These receivers went through 3 quarterbacks. Yeah it hurt all of them what happened this season. 

QB play was awful for sure. But there’s no way to tell if Campbell would be a 1,000 yard receiver or not. I mean Pittman was a few yards short of 1,000 with those same QBs.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He hasn’t done enough to really warrant anything else. Also 600 yards isn’t something that people roll the checkbook out for.

Especially following his injury history before last year.  I am fine with bringing him back but I think Colts fans are over estimating how badly other teams will want him.

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thing is, there is nobody on the roster with his skills/talent.  He has the most wiggle of any receiver we have, so we'd have to rely on the draft to find his replacement or overpay for another team's FA.

I think PC has more value to the Colts than what he probably showed last year...which was a horrible year for the passing game and anybody involved with it.

This is true if he catches the ball. 

Right now he is good/decent but not great.  He has the potential to be great.  I think he will get there so 2 years is good for both player and team.

No interest in him honestly. IMO, he's still injury-prone at best, and at worst, he's injury-prone and a poor NFL WR. I'd rather sign a better WR in FA like Jacobi Myers, or draft someone on day 2 of the draft. Plenty of guys in the draft that will end up being no2 or no3 receivers in the NFL, which would both end up being better than Campbell IMO, and cheaper and younger.

Archived