Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts New OL Coach- Tony Sparano Jr

TomDiggs

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting….  The Colts win rate was last….  And the line gave up 60 sacks, which was 31st.    But the team’s OL ranking was 18th according to PFF.   I don’t see how that gets squared?   

I’ve read to take PFF with a grain of salt. Some value their rankings a lot more than others. I find them interesting but have always had that it the back in my mind that some pro teams find their rankings flawed. 

Coach Steichen has re-emphasized in his recent public statements how important accountability is to him and that he learned that early from Coach Siriani. I am guessing he pegged an OL coach with this in mind after the struggles that this team experienced last year at this position. He also knows that getting this right goes a long way towards allowing him to run the offense he wants with a young QB. Despite what coach Steichen has said about wanting to throw to score, I expect the Colts to run the ball a lot next year until the o-line and the expected rookie QB can get comfortable.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I guess since I did the Strausser numbers it's only fair to do the new guy's OL PFF ranking numbers:

2022 - Giants - 31st (after week 15)

2021 - Panthers - 31st 

2020 - Jaguars - 22nd

2019 - Jaguars - 26th

2018 - Jaguars - 22nd

2017 - Jaguars - 15th

Not very impressive, but kind of stripped from context too(quality of players, playcalling) and we don't know how much of it is on him... Lets hope he will have better success as the main guy than he did as an assistant. 

Ouch 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Kind of disappointed we didn't get the Eagles' guy... I wonder where the connection with Steichen comes from. They are about the same age(Steichen 37, Sparano 36) 

Wasnt his father Tony Sparano Sr a pretty good OL coach? I remember SR used to be head coach of the Dolphins. The guy who ran the wildcat all the time.

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Wasnt his father Tony Sparano Sr a pretty good OL coach? I remember SR used to be head coach of the Dolphins. The guy who ran the wildcat all the time.

Yep, that's his son... I was looking at Sparano Sr path to see if Steichen didn't cross paths with him somewhere, but no... I don't think there is any connection between them, either... It's a very peculiar hire... 

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Coach Steichen has re-emphasized in his recent public statements how important accountability is to him and that he learned that early from Coach Siriani. I am guessing he pegged an OL coach with this in mind after the struggles that this team experienced last year at this position. He also knows that getting this right goes a long way towards allowing him to run the offense he wants with a young QB. Despite what coach Steichen has said about wanting to throw to score, I expect the Colts to run the ball a lot next year until the o-line and the expected rookie QB can get comfortable.

Here we go again….

Now it’s Chris Strausser who didn’t hold the lineman accountable.   It used to be just Frank.  

Anyone else? 

Thank God, Jeff Saturday held them accountable.    That sure helped during melt downs like Minnesota and Dallas not to mention tight losses at the end like Houston or Philly.  

It couldn’t have been the bad players that Ballard provided him?    People here act as if the previous coaching staff didn’t even know what holding players accountable even meant.   Wow, who knew?!? 

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here we go again….

Now it’s Chris Strausser who didn’t hold the lineman accountable.   It used to be just Frank.  

Anyone else? 

Thank God, Jeff Saturday held them accountable.    That sure helped during melt downs like Minnesota and Dallas not to mention tight losses at the end like Houston or Philly.  

It couldn’t have been the bad players that Ballard provided him?    People here act as if the previous coaching staff didn’t even know what holding players accountable even meant.   Wow, who knew?!? 

Who said anything about Chris Strausser, Jeff Saturday, or Frank Reich? I made a general statement about coach Steichen wanting to bring accountability to the team. I don't think it was a secret how bad this o-line was last year especially to the new incoming coach. I could care less at this point who takes blame for it and I'm sure coach Steichen probably feels the same way. The important thing is can it be fixed? Coach Steichen knows he needs to get this right in order for him to implement his new offense with an expected rookie QB. Your extrapolations to all all of this is puzzling. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-colts-texans-titans-142/

I'm disappointed by the fact we weren't able to hire Istvan away from the Philadelphia Eagles.

I don't think that Tony Sparano Jr comes with enough credentials to be "the" offensive line coach.

Hope that Steichen will consider Jeff Saturday as the assistant offensive line coach.

7 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Admittedly was thinking for ahwile it would be Istvan from Philly.

Don't know a ton about Sparano Jr but will try to learn more.

He has at least been around a bit with Jax, Car and recently the NYG

Well if that Oline doesn't pick up their game, they may go MIA Mafioso style!!

41 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

I'm disappointed by the fact we weren't able to hire Istvan away from the Philadelphia Eagles.

I don't think that Tony Sparano Jr comes with enough credentials to be "the" offensive line coach.

Hope that Steichen will consider Jeff Saturday as the assistant offensive line coach.

I suspect our new coach got the guy he wanted. 

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

Same.

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

HIGHLY doubtful. I don't see how that dynamic could work. That's like making the previous CEO a middle manager. You're just asking for a constant awkwardness and weird power dynamic.

2 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Maybe Steichen doesn’t think that much of Istvan. Maybe Istvan had no desire to move to Indy.  Odds are Smith gave Sparano a glowing recommendation.  The coaches know who’s doing a good job and are good teachers. They aren’t making their decisions based solely on PFF rankings if at all. Lastly, Jeff Saturday is not going to be part of this staff. Neither Steichen or Saturday would want that. Time to let that go. 

2 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Both weee assistant line coaches last year.   What credentials did Istivan have that Sparano didn’t?   

Colts interviewed both Mike Kafka (Giants OC) and Don Martindale (Giants DC).  I'm wondering if they both had him on their respective lists for an offensive line coach if they had gotten the head coaching job. Ballard might have been impressed enough to recommend him to Steichen, who could have watched Kafka and Martindale's interviews with the Colts.

Just a thought.

4 hours ago, Shive said:

Same.

HIGHLY doubtful. I don't see how that dynamic could work. That's like making the previous CEO a middle manager. You're just asking for a constant awkwardness and weird power dynamic.

All of these men know exactly how the NFL works. Plus Jeff's personality wouldn't be a problem imo. I don't think Jeff would accept an assistant position nor should he.  

6 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Just wondering if you had ever heard of Istvan say two months ago?

Jeff said he was going to be a CEO type HC, but you think he would take a asst. POSITION job. 

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just wondering if you had ever heard of Istvan say two months ago?

Jeff said he was going to be a CEO type HC, but you think he would take a asst. POSITION job. 

No way to know - unless you ask him.

Besides - does anyone REALLY believe that Jeff Saturday would have succeeded in a full season as Colts coach?

He needs more experience in the coaching ranks - other than high school.

19 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Maybe Steichen doesn’t think that much of Istvan. Maybe Istvan had no desire to move to Indy.  Odds are Smith gave Sparano a glowing recommendation.  The coaches know who’s doing a good job and are good teachers. They aren’t making their decisions based solely on PFF rankings if at all. Lastly, Jeff Saturday is not going to be part of this staff. Neither Steichen or Saturday would want that. Time to let that go. 

I'm not counting on it - nor - am I pushing that matter.

I just thought it would be a great way for Jeff Saturday to get NFL coaching experience - PLUS - Jeff Saturday brings personal experience playing on an NFL offensive line - being a Pro Bowler - and - Super Bowl Champion.

Jeff Saturday is no threat to Shane Steichen - so why not consider bringing in a winning offensive lineman on his staff?

20 hours ago, Shive said:

Same.

Jeff Saturday is NOT a threat to Shane Steichen in any way - shape - or - form.

My suggestion was based on a clear need for Jeff Saturday to get NFL coaching experience - and - he brings an incredible personal resume as a Pro Bowl and Super Bowl champion offensive lineman.

11 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

I'm not counting on it - nor - am I pushing that matter.

I just thought it would be a great way for Jeff Saturday to get NFL coaching experience - PLUS - Jeff Saturday brings personal experience playing on an NFL offensive line - being a Pro Bowler - and - Super Bowl Champion.

Jeff Saturday is no threat to Shane Steichen - so why not consider bringing in a winning offensive lineman on his staff?

If I’m Steichen I don’t want a guy who’s in the owner’s ear on my staff.  Unfortunately, Jeff has stated it was HC or bust. It would be great if he felt differently but since that was his stance it may be to big of a blow to his pride to be an Assistant OL coach. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

If I’m Steichen I don’t want a guy who’s in the owner’s ear on my staff.  Unfortunately, Jeff has stated it was HC or bust. It would be great if he felt differently but since that was his stance it may be to big of a blow to his pride to be an Assistant OL coach. 

Thank you for the additional information regarding your opinion.

I hadn't heard the "HC or bust" quote.

His pride should realize that any NFL head coach - no matter how beloved - needs NFL coaching experience.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I actually agree with this 1000%

If Saturday truly wants to coach as an OL coach, it would be best for him to do it and earn his stripes with someone other than the Colts. 

On 2/27/2023 at 3:25 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Here we go again….

Anyone else? 

Yes, here we go again.... 

No one is claiming Jeff saved the day. 

It's completely possible someone wasn't exactly demanding excellence, and at least doing something about it, re the OL play.  

Poor players?  Outside of a crappy LT plan to bridge to a promising Rook, and a hole at RG.....  The OL talent wise is pretty stacked..... History would prove so.  Ryan regressed, but who knows mentally how he was.  I think they were injured some more than usual, but poor players?  Nah.  Not the majority.  

Bottom line, everyone underperformed badly.  From GM to backup OL.  The suckage doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

41 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Yes, here we go again.... 

No one is claiming Jeff saved the day. 

It's completely possible someone wasn't exactly demanding excellence, and at least doing something about it, re the OL play.  

Poor players?  Outside of a crappy LT plan to bridge to a promising Rook, and a hole at RG.....  The OL talent wise is pretty stacked..... History would prove so.  Ryan regressed, but who knows mentally how he was.  I think they were injured some more than usual, but poor players?  Nah.  Not the majority.  

Bottom line, everyone underperformed badly.  From GM to backup OL.  The suckage doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

I know it wasn’t about Jeff.   My sarcasm missed the mark.  

People here have over-reacted to the comment that Frank didn’t hold players to account.   Holding players accountable is coaching 101.   It’s nothing that’s unusual.  
So if Frank wasn’t getting in the faces of his players that some wanted then Frank had the assistants do that.  Frank would be the Good Cop while the assistants would be the Bad Cop.   To argue otherwise would say no one was holding the team accountable. 

And the poster I responded to was implying that Strausser wasn’t holding his players accountable.   Which makes no sense.  Holding players accountable is basic coaching.   The implication that it only happened when Saturday was there was overblown.  The OL got better because Rainmann learned on the job quicker than expected and Fries was acceptable when Pinter and Pryor failed.   People want simple answers so they give credit to Saturday and not Strausser.   And this fan base decided long ago that Strausser is bad and therefor he gets no credit. 

Once this fan base decides someone is bad this fan base refuses to give that person any credit for anything good they do.   People are either good, bad or meh.  
It’s been that way here since I joined here nearly 11 years ago. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know it wasn’t about Jeff.   My sarcasm missed the mark.  

People here have over-reacted to the comment that Frank didn’t hold players to account.   Holding players accountable is coaching 101.   It’s nothing that’s unusual.  
So if Frank wasn’t getting in the faces of his players that some wanted then Frank had the assistants do that.  Frank would be the Good Cop while the assistants would be the Bad Cop.   To argue otherwise would say no one was holding the team accountable. 

And the poster I responded to was implying that Strausser wasn’t holding his players accountable.   Which makes no sense.  Holding players accountable is basic coaching.   The implication that it only happened when Saturday was there was overblown.  The OL got better because Rainmann learned on the job quicker than expected and Fries was acceptable when Pinter and Pryor failed.   People want simple answers so they give credit to Saturday and not Strausser.   And this fan base decided long ago that Strausser is bad and therefor he gets no credit. 

Once this fan base decides someone is bad this fan base refuses to give that person any credit for anything good they do.   People are either good, bad or meh.  
It’s been that way here since I joined here nearly 11 years ago. 

Frank is a decent coach but you're spot on....he needs to hold his players accountable.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is interesting. Holder said on the radio this morning he heard  colts want a new fresh eyes on the Oline before they make wholesale changes. That could mean going through OTA ect and evaluate before making any big changes.

I could see that, but I can't imagine us not finding a different solution at RG in the draft or FA. OC too if Kelly retires.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

RG I think is a given. I expect this next season to be a big evaluation year. I don’t expect any big FA things until 24. 

I fully expect us to have another top 10 in the draft in '24 and I'm absolutely fine with that as long as the team makes changes at positions of need this year. I'm tired of the wait and see approach that's gotten us no where so far.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is interesting. Holder said on the radio this morning he heard  colts want a new fresh eyes on the Oline before they make wholesale changes. That could mean going through OTA ect and evaluate before making any big changes.

If true, what that MAY mean is that they’re considering keeping Kelly and want eyes on him before cutting/trading him and moving on.   That would be a big move that they won’t take lightly.   

On 2/27/2023 at 4:46 PM, sb41champs said:

Somewhere Nick siriani is yelling you arent hiring any more of my assistants because of Frank Reich

Coach Shane Steichen's Combine press conference shared some valuable information about WHY Istvan wasn't hired for the Offensive Line Coach position.

Steichen indicated that a lot of coaches that you would "like" to hire - are under contract to their current teams - and - as such - a new team isn't always able to hire the coach they would like to have.

He further indicated that it is Nick Sirianni's job to keep valuable coaches in the building - rather than allow them to walk.

That explains why Frank Reich wasn't able to "cherry pick" some of the Colts assistant coaches for the Panthers.

Archived