Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts New OL Coach- Tony Sparano Jr

TomDiggs

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.giants.com/team/coaches-roster/tony-sparano-jr

Tony Sparano, Jr., who has been an NFL coach since 2011, is in his first season as the Giants' assistant offensive line coach.

Sparano spent the 2021 season as the Carolina Panthers' assistant O-line coach.

Sparano previously spent four seasons (2017-20) as the assistant line coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. In his first season in Jacksonville, the Jaguars allowed only 24 sacks, led the NFL with 141.4 rushing yards a game and advanced to the AFC Championship Game, where they lost to New England. Quarterback Blake Bortles threw for 3,687 yards and 21 touchdowns.

In 2019, the line helped Leonard Fournette set a career high with 1,674 scrimmage yards and quarterback Gardner Minshew set franchise records for passing yards (3,271, broken last season by Trevor Lawrence's 3,641) and passing touchdowns (21) by a Jacksonville rookie.

Sparano was the Buffalo Bills' tight ends coach from 2015-16. In 2016, Sparano coached tight end Charles Clay, the team's leading receiver, who had 57 receptions for 552 yards, the third-best season by a tight end in team history. In 2015, the tight ends helped block for a Bills rushing attack that led the NFL with 2,432 yards.

Sparano entered the NFL in 2011 as the offensive quality control coach in Miami, where his late father, Tony, was the Dolphins' head coach. He was an intern with the Jets for two seasons before becoming an offensive assistant in 2014.

Before coaching in the NFL, Sparano spent one year in the UFL with the Hartford Colonials as their assistant defensive line coach.

Sparano was a three-year letterman at defensive end at the University at Albany. He and his wife, Rebecca, have four children, Tony Jr., Gabriella, Mia and Gianna.

SPARANO, JR. AT A GLANCE

2010 Hartford Colonials assistant defensive line

2011 Miami Dolphins offensive quality control

2012-13 New York Jets intern

2014 New York Jets offensive assistant

2015-16 Buffalo Bills tight ends

2017-20 Jacksonville Jaguars assistant offensive line

2021 Carolina Panthers assistant offensive line

2022 New York Giants assistant offensive line

Couple notes:

1. Andrew Thomas took a huge huge step forward this year under Sparano Jr and Bobby Johnson and became a top-5 OT

2. Giants interior OL did not grade out well at all. Basically, everyone outside of Thomas was pretty ugly

3. Giants graded out 14th in run blocking and 24th in pass blocking this past season (per PFF FWIW)

4. There should be some good connection/synergy with new RB coach DeAndre Smith since they worked together in NY last year

5. The Giants (despite their poorly ranked individual line play) as a team still finished top-5 in rushing yards and yards per carry

6. The Giants also finished top-5 in short yardage running as well 

Some other big things:

- Giants ran a very diverse set of blocking schemes. Power/Gap and Zone. They varied it based on opponent and on the front they were facing in the run game 

- Despite being diverse, Saquon actually ended up running the 2nd most power/gap runs amongst RBs behind only the Raiders and Josh Jacobs. So fair to say that is a favorite scheme-wise

- The other thing is in the NYG scheme they used a lot of pulling and movement from their Center in run blocking. Similiar to the Eagles and Kelce. So it might mean using Ryan Kelly in space and movement more. Which may be a better fit for his game overall and hopefully leads to a better year out of him than we have seen in the past. 

I guess since I did the Strausser numbers it's only fair to do the new guy's OL PFF ranking numbers:

2022 - Giants - 31st (after week 15)

2021 - Panthers - 31st 

2020 - Jaguars - 22nd

2019 - Jaguars - 26th

2018 - Jaguars - 22nd

2017 - Jaguars - 15th

Not very impressive, but kind of stripped from context too(quality of players, playcalling) and we don't know how much of it is on him... Lets hope he will have better success as the main guy than he did as an assistant. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess since I did the Strausser numbers it's only fair to do the new guy's OL PFF ranking numbers:

2021 - Panthers - 31st 

2020 - Jaguars - 22nd

2019 - Jaguars - 26th

2018 - Jaguars - 22nd

2017 - Jaguars - 15th

Not very impressive, but kind of stripped from context too(quality of players, playcalling) and we don't know how much of it is on him... Lets hope he will have better success as the main guy than he did as an assistant. 

Yes with him being the assistant it is hard to tell...he could have been thinking man some of this stuff I would do different, but didn't want to create a rift with the coach over him.  Hopefully with him having full control those numbers will be better....we will see.

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:    If you like coaches who are the son of a coach….   His late father, Tony Sporano, was widely considered one of the top OL coaches back in his day.   

His father was a very good teacher. This could be a very good thing for our young left tackle. 

12 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Couple notes:

1. Andrew Thomas took a huge huge step forward this year under Sparano Jr and Bobby Johnson and became a top-5 OT

2. Giants interior OL did not grade out well at all. Basically, everyone outside of Thomas was pretty ugly

3. Giants graded out 14th in run blocking and 24th in pass blocking this past season (per PFF FWIW)

4. There should be some good connection/synergy with new RB coach DeAndre Smith since they worked together in NY last year

5. The Giants (despite their poorly ranked individual line play) as a team still finished top-5 in rushing yards and yards per carry

6. The Giants also finished top-5 in short yardage running as well 

Some other big things:

- Giants ran a very diverse set of blocking schemes. Power/Gap and Zone. They varied it based on opponent and on the front they were facing in the run game 

- Despite being diverse, Saquon actually ended up running the 2nd most power/gap runs amongst RBs behind only the Raiders and Josh Jacobs. So fair to say that is a favorite scheme-wise

- The other thing is in the NYG scheme they used a lot of pulling and movement from their Center in run blocking. Similiar to the Eagles and Kelce. So it might mean using Ryan Kelly in space and movement more. Which may be a better fit for his game overall and hopefully leads to a better year out of him than we have seen in the past. 

My eyes told me Ryan lost his pulling, chasing people to block legs a few years back. I would think it will be a hard choice to go forward with him.  

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

2021 - Panthers - 31st 

2020 - Jaguars - 22nd

2019 - Jaguars - 26th

2018 - Jaguars - 22nd

2017 - Jaguars - 15th

Strausser was the head OL coach. 

Sparano was the ASSISTANT OL coach. This is not an apples to apples comparison.  

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Strausser was the head OL coach. 

Sparano was the ASSISTANT OL coach. This is not an apples to apples comparison.  

No it isn't.  But apples to apples doesn't exist in this case, so fruit to fruit is all you can compare and then try to opine from there.  What else is there to go by?

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes. Just like I said in my post, I believe... 

For what it’s worth…..  

The Colts OL final rank is 18.    Though I have no idea how it’s that high?   

The Giants final rank is 30. 

If you have a basic PFF account, and you want to check it out, go to the search window.    Key in…. 

2022 offensive line rankings

You'll find what you’re looking for. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth…..  

The Colts OL final rank is 18.    Though I have no idea how it’s that high. 

If you have a basic PFF account, and you want to check it out, go to the search window.    Key in…. 

That's kind of scary.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth…..  

The Colts OL final rank is 18.    Though I have no idea how it’s that high. 

Unfortunately my PFF subscription expired and I'm not 100% certain I will be renewing it this year... 

44 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

My eyes told me Ryan lost his pulling, chasing people to block legs a few years back. I would think it will be a hard choice to go forward with him.  

I admit that everything Ryan Kelly had to do the last year or two has looked pretty rough. Historically, i would have said a scheme relying on his movement and athleticism would have been a good thing. If he is really, truly washed than nothing is probably bringing that level of play back. If he is not, then it is possible the new scheme and nuances revives his play a bit.

All of that being said, if this scheme does look like some of the recent Giants concepts and Steichen's Philly concepts then having a mobile and athletic OC is quite important. 

It is part of why I really hope the QB we want is there at 1.04 and we can hang onto that 35th pick. 

He might be gone by then, but if he is not then i would absolutely love to add a guy like John Michael Schmitz to the mix. He was an absolute menace blocking in the open field in the Senior Bowl and basically checks all the boxes on things historically our draft picks would look like under Ballard and company. 

He very well could be gone by the time we pick in the second though. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So no connections to Steichen at first glance. Hopefully Jim wasn’t being cheap and that’s why we lost out on the eagles guy.

Connection probably is with RB coach DeAndre Smith, who must have recommended Tony Jr for the OL coach position. 

At least, they both would've developed chemistry, which is important for setting up the run game and prepare the OL for run blocking in New scheme. 

It doesn't look like a cheap move, more of a strategic and reasonable plan. 

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth…..  

The Colts OL final rank is 18.    Though I have no idea how it’s that high?   

The win rate % was last. That’s what tells the story. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So no connections to Steichen at first glance. Hopefully Jim wasn’t being cheap and that’s why we lost out on the eagles guy.

Im rarely concerned that Irsay is being cheap.   I don’t think that’s his way.  

But as owners go, I think he’s under tighter financial constraints than most NFL owners.   His wealth is the franchise.   He has no other known financial income.  

He’s not a tech guy.  Not a real estate guy. Not an oil guy.  Not a business guy.   Plenty of other owners were wealthy BEFORE they came to the NFL.   Not Irsay.   

So I think his spending is somewhat limited.   And if he’s going to pinch penny’s, I certainly don’t see it happening with a first year HC building his new staff and especially the key position of the OL coach.   That doesn’t strike me as something Irsay would do. 

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Scary?   Sorry, about what?   

Their OL was ranked considerably worse than ours.  I would think the goal is to bring over coaches who have had some form of success like Shane.  Not sure what we are seeing here.  There doesn’t appear to be any connection to Shane.  I guess we will find out.

41 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I admit that everything Ryan Kelly had to do the last year or two has looked pretty rough. Historically, i would have said a scheme relying on his movement and athleticism would have been a good thing. If he is really, truly washed than nothing is probably bringing that level of play back. If he is not, then it is possible the new scheme and nuances revives his play a bit.

All of that being said, if this scheme does look like some of the recent Giants concepts and Steichen's Philly concepts then having a mobile and athletic OC is quite important. 

It is part of why I really hope the QB we want is there at 1.04 and we can hang onto that 35th pick. 

He might be gone by then, but if he is not then i would absolutely love to add a guy like John Michael Schmitz to the mix. He was an absolute menace blocking in the open field in the Senior Bowl and basically checks all the boxes on things historically our draft picks would look like under Ballard and company. 

He very well could be gone by the time we pick in the second though. 

I’d like to see the Colts give Kelly a post June 1st release, sign a vet RG in free agency, and draft Schmitz in Rd 2. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Their OL was ranked considerably worse than ours.  I would think the goal is to bring over coaches who have had some form of success like Shane.  Not sure what we are seeing here.  There doesn’t appear to be any connection to Shane.  I guess we will find out.

Maybe Sparano has had success elsewhere?   Maybe the Giants lack of success had more to do with a lack of OL talent?    Or the lead OL coach?    I don’t pretend to know?   But if Steichen and Ballard are on board, then I’m fine until there’s reason to be concerned. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Sorry, the Colts win rate % was dead last is what I read last week. 

Interesting….  The Colts win rate was last….  And the line gave up 60 sacks, which was 31st.    But the team’s OL ranking was 18th according to PFF.   I don’t see how that gets squared?   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe Sparano has had success elsewhere?   Maybe the Giants lack of success had more to do with a lack of OL talent?    Or the lead OL coach?    I don’t pretend to know?   But if Steichen and Ballard are on board, then I’m fine until there’s reason to be concerned. 

Me too.  That’s why I said I guess we will find out.

Archived