Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bubba might be leaving

GoColts8818

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Curious why he would want to leave for a lateral move.

He played for the Browns, so in a way it is like going home.   The Browns are also several steps ahead of the Colts when we look at playoff possibilities.  

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Mike Chapell said they are trying to work something out with bubba. But if bubba wants to leave they won’t block it.

So it’s not a done deal after all.  So much for Holder’s and Hick’s reporting.  Maybe he doesn’t want to pull his kids out of school.  For some that’s a big deal.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So it’s not a done deal after all.  So much for Holder’s and Hick’s reporting.  Maybe he doesn’t want to pull his kids out of school.  For some that’s a big deal.

Well browns wouldn’t of fired their ST coordinator this morning unless they néw they could get bubba so we will see.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just when I was starting to feel good about this team and its future, this crap happens. That's why you always have to assume the worst until you get the good result. Don't ever give this team the benefit of the doubt. I've learned my lesson now. 

Like I posted above bubba was very good. But let’s not underestimate the job Ballard did late in the draft to get guys who were great special teams players. Ballard will continue to do that.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well browns wouldn’t of fired their ST coordinator this morning unless they néw they could get bubba so we will see.

Well the browns have also requested an interview with Giants Assistant ST coach Anthony Blevins.  

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Maybe Bubba's bitter he didn't get the interim job, but he should feel lucky.  Jeff was a beloved Colt, yet people were signing petitions and were ready to burn him in effigy.

He may or may not be bitter but probably realized his path to a HC job is not likely to happen with this team since he was passed over twice in six months. Plus going back to a team he once played for is not uncommon.

If I had to guess….  And it’s only a guess…. No inside info, no sources or stories….

But if there was any truth to the rumor that Ballard was hoping Steichen would not only keep Bubba, but also make Bubba the assistant head coach, then I think the reason Bubba might leave might be here….

That SS might like to retain Bubba as the ST coach, BUT may be wanting to save the title of assistant HC for another coach.   So Bubba would be retained at the same title, but no other promotion or benefit.   Bubba might be thinking why should he stay where he’s not fully appreciated or respected? 

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hicks never reported it was a done deal. He was responding to tweets that Bubba was leaving. 

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Like I posted above bubba was very good. But let’s not underestimate the job Ballard did late in the draft to get guys who were great special teams players. Ballard will continue to do that.

Ballard has worked closely with Bubba on roster cuts and late picks to maximize special teams.  Hopefully the Colts step up and do right by Bubba. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Hicks never reported it was a done deal. He was responding to tweets that Bubba was leaving. 

Ballard has worked closely with Bubba on roster cuts and late picks to maximize special teams.  Hopefully the Colts step up and do right by Bubba. 

I believe the call is with Steichen, not Ballard.   I think if it was Ballard’s call, it would have already happened by now.  

Like many of us, I would prefer to keep Bubba and would hate to see him go.

However, to some asking why he would just take a lateral move, etc-

Have you ever been passed up for a job you really wanted and felt qualified for and then they ask you to stay under the new boss?

I have. And it is super challenging. Not only are you then working for the person that beat you out for the job you truly wanted, but to top it all off, you are working within the same organization and under the same senior leadership that basically told you that you were not good enough for the higher-level job and that you are only good enough for what you are doing now.

So, you know in their eyes your upward mobility is thwarted and if you would be appreciated as much or more somewhere else you can see how someone would gladly jump ship.

Lost in all of this and something nobody seems to mention is that there were really 3 slaps in the face to Bubba here:

1) The Saturday interim HC fiasco over Bubba (everyone has touched on that repeatedly)

2) The Colts kept one internal candidate going throughout the process as a finalist (Saturday) where Bubba did not advance to the finals (as far as was reported). So, you now know even after the fiasco you were STILL not valued by some of your leadership as much as the guy who came in and went 1-7 and had no coaching experience.

3) (This one nobody is touching on at all) You cannot even use the excuse about looking for an offensive mind, etc as a reason why he was not in the final consideration. The Colts carried another team's ST coordinator into the finals in Rich Bisaccia (damn good candidate and deserved to be there in my opinion). So, you are telling Bubba in doing so that he is not even seen as favorably as another team's ST coordinator.

If it were me and i added all those things up, i would personally be looking to see if anyone out there would give me even a lateral move to take my talents elsewhere where they might be more appreciated seemingly.

I still hope there's a chance Bubba gets to stick around. But i do not fault him whatsoever for moving on anywhere whatsoever. Actually, if i were advising him i would probably recommend he do so. 

just my take. 

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe the call is with Steichen, not Ballard.   I think if it was Ballard’s call, it would have already happened by now.  

You most definitely could be right.  I’ve got the feeling that they were trying to announce the staff all at once and not individually.  It just impossible these days when guys like Cooter get hired away from other teams. 

28 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dang was hoping no news was good news. Should be blocking this interview since it's a lateral move. Irsay probably made him mad with the Saturday interim HC hiring, and Ballard isn't stopping him from leaving from what it looks like. Decker and Bubba are leaving in the span of a few days most likely, and although I hate Reich, Steichen is by no means an upgrade over Reich as a HC until we see it 100% on the field. Losing Bubba would only make that less likely IMO.

So, this is pretty terrible honestly. I'm going to assume we lose him until I hear otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Dang was hoping no news was good news. Should be blocking this interview since it's a lateral move. Irsay probably made him mad with the Saturday interim HC hiring, and Ballard isn't stopping him from leaving from what it looks like. Decker and Bubba are leaving in the span of a few days most likely, and although I hate Reich, Steichen is by no means an upgrade over Reich as a HC until we see it 100% on the field. Losing Bubba would only make that less likely IMO.

So, this is pretty terrible honestly. I'm going to assume we lose him until I hear otherwise. 

Wait, you hate Reich? Seems like an odd choice of words. 

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Yep. Him not giving up playcalling really screwed over the Colts. He also was the primary reason we had band-aid QBs like Wentz and Rivers when the obvious play was to draft a franchise QB and we never did so until probably this year after he got fired. Ballard and Irsay wanted a franchise QB from the draft, and Reich wanted guys he'd worked with before. Not only did they fail, but they cost us draft capital and multiple years of contending while the AFC built up numerous elite QBs on other teams. Those two reasons, combined with the fact that none of our players were ever held accountable, is a big reason the Colts are in the position they are in.

BTW, Reich has also recently announced that he will be doing the playcalling for the Panthers. So he is going to screw that team over as well.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard isnt going to block bubba if bubba wants to leave. That just creates animosity. Ballard is also responsible for the late draft picks that bubba has been so successful with on ST.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard isnt going to block bubba if bubba wants to leave. That just creates animosity.

I mean, from what I heard, he blocked Gus Bradley. Also, we have every right to block Bubba from lateral moves until his contract is up. Bubba doesn't have leverage here. Ballard is just giving in to him. Just feels like this team is falling apart, and it's due to a bad owner. We are now suffering for our sins with Saturday and feeling the side effects of Irsay's decision. 

I wonder if this tweet is about bubba?

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I mean, from what I heard, he blocked Gus Bradley. Also, we have every right to block Bubba from lateral moves until his contract is up. Bubba doesn't have leverage here. Ballard is just giving in to him. Just feels like this team is falling apart, and it's due to a bad owner. We are now suffering for our sins with Saturday and feeling the side effects of Irsay's decision. 

Making him angry not letting him leave if he wants is not going to do this team any good. This team has been crap. It’s time to make changes.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wonder if this tweet is about bubba?

Making him angry not letting him leave if he wants is not going to do this team any good. This team has been crap. It’s time to make changes.

Considering Zaire Franklin is the special teams captain, I'd assume so. 

Also, this team has been crap, but not because of Bubba. Reich was the issue and we got rid of him. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Considering Zaire Franklin is the special teams captain, I'd assume so. 

Also, this team has been crap, but not because of Bubba. Reich was the issue and we got rid of him. 

I wouldn’t assume that. Players tweet stuff like this all the time and people assume stuff it isn’t about.

12 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Have you ever been passed up for a job you really wanted and felt qualified for and then they ask you to stay under the new boss?

Yep and I was the one TRAINING THEM :(. It's not the best place to be in.  Alot of coaches know the "business side of things in the NFL. If there is animosity there it will come out, I doubt there is really but if could happen.  Like I have said if one doesn't know the reason for something they like to grasp at straws just to be right or to meet their agenda a lot of times.  

If Bubba is upset over the interm gig then thats his issue. Irsay did right IMO bringing an outsider in to get a true evaluation and have less shuffling. 

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just feels like this team is falling apart, and it's due to a bad owner. We are now suffering for our sins with Saturday and feeling the side effects of Irsay's decision. 

Jim is a great owner point blank. You can put the pitchfork and tin foil hat down. 

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Players wanted bubba as interim so it could even be about him not getting that job or about something else entirely. He had a tweet about being used before that. So who knows.

Which players? this is news to me. I mean that could be part of the issue and a good reason why Irsay did what he did. I am sure there probably was some just like there were players wanting Jeff as the head coach. 

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wouldn’t assume that. Players tweet stuff like this all the time and people assume stuff it isn’t about.

I agree it is funny to make cryptic posts, tweets ect and see peoples heads explode guessing what its supposed to mean.

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

Not if you follow Jared it’s not….

Jared blames Reich for many things…. Inflation, climate change,  Covid, and the bad playing field on this year’s Super Bowl!  

You name it,  they’re all Frank’s fault….

20 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That's not true in the least.  

They may hire Ventrone, but you don't wait to fire someone you want out, until you think you can hire a certain person for certain.  

We sure didn't wait to fire Frank until we knew Steichen was available to us.....

Archived