Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 NFL Draft: Simulated mock drafts

I didn't find a 2023 thread for those so... we are entering draft season for the Colts and I thought we might have some fun and post our own mock drafts at various sites on the webs. 

Here are some links in case you need a draft machine/simulator:

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock-nfl-mock-draft-simulator/

Here's my first attempt:

l6fT6iI.png

Post yours and you can include links to other simulators if you have any... 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

image.png.afba4a372bf33b5cb59646e4faad696b.png
image.png.d9c5c5b27b7ba98642618120ad2090e8.png

image.png.78303dedd867dbff7bd3b418e1e0e40e.png

image.png.e0836f0548f766d08d2bde76c2aaa257.png

Don’t crucify me for passing on Stroud but I thought I worked the draft really well :) 

I like it, I don’t see Chris Ballard drafting Bryce Young size does matter. If I was a betting man, it would be Anthony Richardson his RAS is probably great.

12 hours ago, ColtV said:

I didnt do trades because it's just a little too lenient on what it allows 

image.png.e6d0fcbbdb047c8458fe9faa2e27a99a.png

So far I really like Josh Downs. Tiny WR, but fast and he throttles his speed so well. He'd be slot only, but I'd love him in that role. I feel like Zay Flowers is a bit redundant since he fits a similar mold as a small fast WR. Both have problems with drops though.

14 hours ago, Moe said:

I like it, I don’t see Chris Ballard drafting Bryce Young size does matter. If I was a betting man, it would be Anthony Richardson his RAS is probably great.

Getting 4 players in the first 2 rounds gives us a better chance of getting better contributors, which is why I made the trades. Actually, all the trades were presented to me with appropriate value taken into account and with the Raiders at 7, Falcons at 8 and Panthers at 9, I wasn't willing to go past the Lions at 6 so that I could still get Richardson.

Cam Smith was a no brainer on value at No.22. Michael Mayer reminds me a bit of Gronk, to be honest with his hands and blocking ability as a complete TE, who was also drafted early Round 2. Darnell Wright kept Hendon Hooker upright vs Will Anderson, that was enough to get him on my radar. Ronnie Bell is the kind of guy who knows to read Ds and slips into open areas and is a QB friendly WR, IMO. Deuce Vaughn is what Nyheim Hines couldn't be for us, a solid #3 that can definitely catch screens and be elusive.

Max Duggan at the end could be a throw away pick because he doesn't offer that much more than a Sam Ehlinger that he is compared to. 

3 hours ago, Shive said:

So far I really like Josh Downs. Tiny WR, but fast and he throttles his speed so well. He'd be slot only, but I'd love him in that role. I feel like Zay Flowers is a bit redundant since he fits a similar mold as a small fast WR. Both have problems with drops though.

If we can get out of this draft with either of them it would be great. I love them both. I think I actually have slight preference for Flowers, but both are electric. 

Obviously spent a lot of thought on our OL as have Raimann, Nelson and Smith as our returning starters.  Not really expecting us to resign Dennis Kelly, Carter O'Donnell while Cut/trade Ryan Kelly.  In FA kind of hoping we acquire Calvin Anderson for LT, Aaron Brewer backup Nelson.  OC Joe Tippmann (Wisconsin)  had an PFF offensive grade 85.1 with 77.8 PBLK/ 82.5 RBLK in 2021.  LG Clark Barrington finished this season off with a 76.5 PFF grade while earning PFF Week 9 TOW honors.  Obviously Torrence and Christian Haynes proved to be capable starter earning 84.4 OFF, 90.1 PBLK, 85.8 RBLK grades while Torrence finished off with 90.5 OFF, 76.4 PBLK, 92.5 RBLK grades.  This should give a solid OL unit with upgraded backups and players we can move around.

On our defensive line Paye and Odeyingbo should create one team while Derick Hall and K.J. Henry for the other tandem.  With the assumption Stewart becomes a cap causality Mazi Smith should be a solid replacement.  Christopher Smith has moved around from FS to SS this year and graded out with a 77.2 PFF grade.  Neither Rodney can play forever while still some questions around Cross and Blackmon.  We did trade Kenny Moore and Leonard and hopefully can find replacements as this draft class will also have many UDFAs like last year.

image.png.f17f8eed6c8b55df7cb5b95f8a80893f.png

Another one I did. Apparently, I love Jalin Hyatt more than PFF, lol :) 

image.png.168e3ad56a040e741a1234f5913cea19.png

No. 6 (Received No. 6, 48 and 59 for No. 4 from Lions) - C J Stroud, QB, Ohio State

No. 39 (Received 39 and 71 for No.35 from Falcons) - Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

No. 49 - Blake Freeland, T, BYU

No. 59 - Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee

No. 71 - Derrick Hall, EDGE, Auburn

No. 83 (Received No. 83 and No.115 for No. 79 from Seahawks) - DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

No. 99 - Matthew Bergeron, T/G, Syracuse

No. 115 - Tyler Davis, DL, Clemson

No. 131 - Jake Haener, QB, Fresno State

No. 163 - R J Moten, S, Michigan

No. 195 - Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

From Profootballnetwork.com's site:

4. Jalen Carter, DT Georgia
35. Josh Downs, WR North Carolina
79. Cameron Ward, QB Washington State
103. Jordan Morgan, OT Arizona
135. Carter Warren, OT Pittsburgh
193. Hunter Luepke, RB North Dakota State
199. Jadon Haselwood, WR Arkansas
214. Doug Nester, OG West Virginia

Carter to eventually replace Buckner, too talented not to take him.  Downs is a speedy WR the Colts are missing right now.  Ward, I think will be better than most believe, I really like his completion %, TD-INT ratio, I know vs lesser talent, JMO.  2 OT's that are big and good at pulling on a run.  Got the RB to be a FB.  Replenish the OL, get another QB to take over, but RUN THE DAMN BALL!!  JT with a FB leading the way?  Yes, please!  Haselwood just screams team guy, developmental, ST player.  And another big boy for the OL.

xE6MI19.png

While I don't exactly think that trade is likely, I figured why not.

1. CJ Stroud - We get our QB of the future.

2. Andrew Vorhees - Really solid G with position flexibility, but could lock down the RG position as a rookie.

2. Andre Carter - 1st round talent that falls due to concerns about his military obligation, since there's no guarantee he gets the deferment of his service.

3. Tyrique Stevenson - Prototypical CB build. Struggles a little in zone, but great in press man.

4. Zay Flowers - Playmaker in the slot.

5. Tony Grimes - Another CB, great length and speed. Scheme versatile. A plus that we're from the same city.

6. Sedrick Van Pran - I doubt he falls this far, but PFF seems to think so. Could be our future C.

7. Ochaun Mathis - Double down on pass rush. An insane spin move already. Great bend and strength. Still a bit raw in pass rush moves, but I think he'd be an absolute steal in the 7th.

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

How did you post your draft from PFN? I tried but it acted like it was too large an image or file to attach. 

I cropped different images (3) on to phone while editing the post simultaneously by copying each image separately lined up. :) 

Here's my simulation on Fanspeak (dated 1/19/23) - hard to copy and paste, so I'm using a plain text format. In addition to listing the pick, round, position, player, and school...I'm also subjectively listing their closest pro comparison that I can think of immediately off top of my head.

Pick - Round - Position - Player - School - Pro Comparison

4 (1) - QB - CJ Stroud - Ohio State - the franchise QB, with the blend of right age for development, size, scrambling ability. Proven playmaker. High floor, high ceiling. - Carson Wentz (in his prime)

35 (2) - WR - Jordan Addison - USC - speedy slot receiver, proven playmaker - Devonta Smith

79 (3) - DT - Gervon Dexter - Florida - 6'6'' 315 lbs interior DL, ability to stop the run/rush the passer/bat down passes - poor man's Marcus Stroud

106 (4) - OG - TJ Bass - Oregon - good guard that can be had in later rounds, mauler in run game, instant upgrade at RG - Richie Incognito (without the issues)

139 (5) - CB - Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson - TCU - slot CB, proven playmaker with production at the college level - Kenny Moore / Antoine Winfield Jr.

205 (6) - FB - Hunter Leupke - North Dakota State - finally add a FB to complement our RBs - can block/run/catch the ball a little - Kyle Juszczyk

219 (7)  - P - Michael Turk - Oklahoma - 6'0'' 240 lbs punter with strong leg, high average per punt 51.2 yards in college - Shane Lechler/Matt Araiza but bigger

234 (7) - LB - Bumper Pool - Arkansas - LB depth, ST depth - Mr. Irrelevant for just his name. :)

I traded down several times.  If we sign a QB we can trust for couple years (Derek Carr), then we can accumulate an abundance of 2024 picks and get great QB prospect in 2024.  This was PFF mock but I didn't know how to copy. Not too hard to get first rounders when starting at pick #4

35.  Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame

78.  Emil Ekiyor Jr. OG Alabama

79.  Warren McClendon OT Georgia

101.  Cameron Ward  QB Washington State

104. Calijah Kancey  DT Pittsburgh

106.  Dontayvion Wicks  WR Virginia

108.  Myles Brooks  CB Louisiana Tech

114. Trey Dean III  S Florida

2024 ATL 1st

2024 GB 1st

2024 SF 1st

2024 SF 2nd

2024 ATL 2nd

2024 SF 3rd

2024 ATL 3rd

2024 GB 3rd

2024 MIA 4th

2024 ATL 5th

2024 CHI 5th

pff_mock_results.jpeg.8f078d6c815460eb514f25b015608a4d.jpeg

Just for fun. Say we wanted Hooker. Trade back a few times, get Flowers in the 1st (PFF has givin him a 1st round grade now). Then get at least a DE and a CB in the 2nd. I really like Washington as well because he would be a beast with JT. Then Hooker and Tippman and maybe a guard and a WR late.

By far one of my favorite draft that fills a lot of current needs.  If O'Cyrus makes it to the Giants at pick 25 I would make this trade locking down our RG.  Next not knowing if we resign Okereke we take the best WLB to replace him with Simpson (Denver via SF trade).  Yes we future off next years first rounder and Denver gets well compensated with a R1P6 like trade valve in the end.  We need a blocking TE and Spann-Ford is high on my list.  Round 5 I am looking at LS Robert Soderhold III (VMI) that isn't even listed in PFF system.  Combination of adding both LG Zavala and RG Ekiyor are proven players that add quality depth.  The last few picks are players that I am coming around to and adding such as LB Dennis,, CB Brooks and SS Merriweather.  Dante Stills remains on my wish list from last year and still finds himself a quality depth addition.

image.png.dbd6a2b4b4b0bc3d56b58c88ec8f7bbc.png

Still have lingering questions about what the Colts can do to fix our RG situation.  Not many in FA except maybe Aaron Brewer or somehow affording Mcglinchey but again that is overpaying our OL for 4 top players.  Honestly would be shocked to see Torrence fall this late in Round 1 but this mock I had to do multiple trades in the correct order to accomplish what needed done.  

First the late R4P127 is actually for LS Robert Soderhold III (VMI).  Luke Rhodes will be a FA in 2023.  Only two other LS currently in the NFL that are older that Rhodes, Chiefs LS James Winchester and Bucs Zach Triner.  The Eagles Rick Lovato is the same age as Rhodes. In order to leapfrog the Chiefs the first trade has to be with the Jaguars trading back in Round 3.  Next to come up with the trade capital needed to move back into late Round 1 the Colts would have to trade with the Rams (R5P and R7P for LAR R5P and R6P).  Finally the Colts can trade with the Giants to grab our long-term starting RG with Torrence under this assumption.

Merriweather am hoping ends up like Josh Metellus (Vikings) or our own Rodney Thomas.  SirVocea would add a strong cog behind future HOF Okereke.  I really don't want to trade away our 2024 first rounder knowing that the Buckeyes will have three top talented players that we should be interested in early.  A Stroud-Harrison Jr reunion would be a legacy.    The Buckeye's are known for turning out NFL caliber DL so am excited about DI Michael Hall Jr and Edge Jack Sawyer.

image.png.d9f01a877f2a0b6e3ec87054b9e9d1bb.png

Just did a mock draft on https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/, but missed being able to screenshot just my draft, so I'll type it out. No trades on this one.

1. CJ Stroud, QB - He's my favorite at this spot at the moment. Our HC/OC hire could impact this pick, but for now, this is my guy.
  2. O'Cyrus Torrence, OG - I've seen him pop up in the 1st round some, so I don't know if he'd be here, but if he is, he would give another absolute mauler opposite Nelson.
  3. Byron Young, DT - Just a powerhouse, especially for his size (6'3", 292lb). At the moment, he's an elite run defender, but has traits to be a good pass rusher as well.
  4. Zach Harrison, DE - Absolute freak athlete, who just hasn't lived up to his hype coming out of HS. He's awkwardly stiff, so at the moment a much more linear rusher than bendy, but has way too much upside to pass on at this point.
  5. Joe Tippmann, C - Another mauler to add to the OL. 6'6" 312lbs, but extremely quick off the snap and plays with surprisingly good leverage for his height. Bonus that he's also an IN native.
  6. Jayden Reed, WR - Reminds me of a smaller, poor-man's AJ Brown. Doesn't have elite speed, but good acceleration and contact balance. Generates YAC out of the slot and brings return ability as well.
  7. Riley Moss, CB - Productive CB in college. Has a strong athletic profile with a great vertical jump (was also a collegiate hurdler). Has sufficient long speed, does well in zone coverage, and is quick to break on passes, so he may be an ideal fit in the slot. Doesn't meet the arm length threshold, but plays like he has longer arms than he does, so I don't think it's an issue.
  8. (7th) YaYa Diaby, EDGE - Would be a designated pass rusher to start, but has the size and length to be at least quality depth. A speed to power rusher that uses his long arms well, but needs to develop better lateral counters and needs to get better in run defense.

29 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Bears get 23 1 23 3 24 1 and MPJ

Seahawks get 23 1 24 2

Eagles get 23 1 23 3

Packers get 23 1 23 4 24 1 

Jets get Aaron Rodgers 

Lions get 23 1 23 3

Broncos get 23 1 23 5

Chiefs get 23 2 24 2

Colts draft Rashee Rice 35th

Dan….   Odd question for you….

Is your avatar Richardson or Hooker?

Just curious….

Wild, but plausible, three-team trade option to get the Colts to #2.  Colts get #2 and Houston's #65, but give up #4, #35, and next year's 1st rounder.  Houston gives up their #65 and next year's 2nd rounder to move up to #1 and select Bryce Young.  Chicago nets Indy's 1st next year, Indy's #35 pick this year, and Houston's 2nd rounder next year to move down 3 spots.   I also threw in a draft day trade that sends Kenny Moore somewhere for a 5th round choice.  Then Indy drafts:

image.png.62ae24c58a84db09ffa82d8dfef1aaa0.png

I traded with Detroit swapping our 4th and Mo-Allie Cox for their 6th and Jameson Williams

at pick 6 I took Stroud QB OSU

Then I traded with the Bucs sending Kenny Moore, our pick 35 and a 2024 3rd rounder for pick 19

Then I traded pick 19 and Ryan Kelly to the Bolts for pick 21 and pick 85 

Then I took Broderick Jones T GA at 21

Then I traded pick 79, 85, Michael Pittman, and a 4th rounder in 2024 for pick 23

At 23 I took Cam Smith CB SC

at 106 I took Hooker QB Tenn

Then I traded Zakk Moss to the rams for pick 142 and 172

At 140 I took McBride HB UAB

at 142 I took Hutchenson WR Iowa State

at 172 I took Mallory TE from the U

at 181 Jones WR from Purdue

at 223 Murphy C from IU

Overall Grade according to PFF ................. A-

Archived