Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 NFL Draft: Simulated mock drafts

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Post Senior Bowl...It's official PFF simulator is a joke

Best draft with future star players without worrying about a QB issue and earn an F grade

image.png.8321cdc029b38ad610741a8b4aa526ee.png

Wowza….   That’s pretty brutal and pretty ridiculous.   

I know I say this every year but these simulators won’t look like anything realistic until April.   But until then, lots of craziness like you experienced here. 

I did this mock with the intention of trading back for draft picks for next year.  I think I got a good haul as well as addressing needs. 

27. Michael Mayer, TE Notre Dame

33. Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

35. Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee

79. Mekhi Garner, CB LSU

106. Xavier Hutchinson, WR Iowa State

140. Joe Tippmann, OC Wisconsin

164. Nick Broeker, OG Ole Miss

223. Braeden Daniels, OT Utah

238. Kenderick Duncan, S Louisville

2024 CLE 1st

2024 HOU 1st

2024 BUF 1st

2024 BUF 2nd

Traded #4 for #5 and a 2024 1st rd pick from Seattle, what do you guys think?

5. C.J. Stroud, QB Ohio State
35. Dawand Jones, OT Ohio State
79. Rashee Rice, WR SMU
106. Tyler Steen, OT Alabama
140. Mekhi Garner, CB LSU
164. Jay Ward, S LSU
223. PJ Mustipher, DT Penn State
238. Viliami Fehoko, EDGE San Jose State
2024 SEA 1st

3 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

79. Rashee Rice, WR SMU
164. Jay Ward, S LSU
2024 SEA 1st

Can't imagine WHY they would do that trade????

4 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

79. Rashee Rice, WR SMU
164. Jay Ward, S LSU
2024 SEA 1st

For 1 thing I highly doubt that Stroud will be there at #5. He will probably go 2nd or 3rd. 

Plus exactly why would Seattle make that trade?

8 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

79. Rashee Rice, WR SMU
164. Jay Ward, S LSU
2024 SEA 1st

I don’t think anyone is trading a one from next year to move up just one spot. 

So, for example,  Chicago traded up one spot from 3 to w in 2017 to take QB Mitch Trubisky.   The Bears paid a 3 and a 4 that year and another 3 in 18.    But that’s it.   And Chicago got ripped for paying that much.   Then they blew the pick taking MT, when a short time later KC traded up to 10 to take Pat Mahomes and Houston traded up to take DeShaun Watson. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

TDN - The Draft Network finally has their mock draft simulator online, so I had to do one:

4. Anthony Richardson QB, Florida - We all know about Richardson. I'd prefer Stroud, but he didn't fall to 4.

36. Kelee Ringo CB, Georgia - An absolute steal that would immediately bolster our CB room. He checks every box of a Ballard CB and would fit our scheme perfectly.

80. Daiyan Henley LB, Washington State - Physically fits the Ballard mold for LBs. He's extremely athletic and explosive, which has allowed him to be very productive despite being pretty raw at LB. He's a former WR and DB, so he has great coverage skills and can run sideline to sideline.

107. Thomas Incoom EDGE, Central Michigan - Small school, but looks the part of an NFL DE. Explosive off the ball, already has a solid pass rush repertoire, and has shown great instincts. He's always around the ball, so even if he's not getting sacks, he's impacting the game. He's also been insanely productive throughout his college career. It'll take a couple of years to get used to the speed and strength of the NFL game, but he could be an absolute monster if he even comes close to reaching his potential.

140. Payne Durham TE, Purdue - Really good blocking TE with some pass catching ability. An average athlete, but can still be productive. Jack Doyle 2.0

164. Tyler Scott WR, Cincinnati - Explosive athlete with elite speed. He has the ability to win at all levels of the field, create after the catch, and attack a defense vertically. Adds one trait that we seem to struggle with, separation. He's small (height and weight) and will most likely be working out of the slot, but shockingly played mostly on the outside in college.

178. Anthony Bradford IOL, LSU - I've seen him graded at so many different spots and technically this was "early" based of TDN's ranking, but I think any later and it wouldn't be realistic. Bradford played T at LSU, but has experience at G and projects best to that in the NFL. Positional flexibility is a plus. 6'5" 365lbs, so a massive guy. His power makes him a great fit in a man blocking scheme, but he does struggle with lateral agility.

223. Rakim Jarrett WR, Maryland - I feel like Maryland tragically mis-uses their WRs and that Jarrett has much more to show than he did in college. 6' 200lbs. He's alignment versatile, has a very high football IQ, and is best creating YAC. I feel like he's a poor man's AJ Brown.

238. Yasir Abdullah LB/EDGE, Louisville - An edge prospect on the small size, so not someone you'd think would be a starter, but definitely a situational pass rusher. He uses his athleticism well as a pass rusher, plays with good leverage, and can string together pass rush moves to get the best of Olinemen. If we go up against any tackles that struggle with speed rushers, Abdullah could eat them alive. Can't hurt as a late round flier.

I really wanted to double up on CBs, but after Ringo, I didn't have one that was BPA or close to it. Like most Ballard drafts, there's a lot of high upside, traitsy guys. Most wouldn't have an immediate impact, but in a year or 2, they could all be major contributors.

Used TDN mock draft machine, which I noticed had a good upgrade since last season, for trades and such. anyways this is my roll with Minshew Mock draft where Steichen and Ballard don't like Levis or Richardson and Stroud/Young go 1 and 2. Only did 5 rounds because it gets pretty random after that.

1.4 Trade with Raiders Colts get pick 7 and 2024 1st round pick. Raiders pick Anthony Richardson

1.7 Trade with Washington Commanders. Colts get pick 48 and 2024 1st round and 2nd round pick. Commanders draft Will Levis and get pick 140 and a 7th rounder.

2.36 Colts pick: Kelee Ringo CB Georgia (Weakest position on Defense, hence the double dip and more flexibility to move on from Moore and move Rodgers to slot if needed)

2.48 Colts pick: Julius Brents CB Kansas State (See above)

3.80 Colts pick: Andrew Vorhees, IOL USC (Starting Guard, with possible move to Center if we move away from Kelly)

4.107 Colts pick: Tyler Scott, WR Cincinnati (In the mold of Tyler Lockett/Devonte Smith speedy small WR that gives the WR group something different)

5.164 Colts pick: Dee Winters, LB TCU (Depth WIL and special teamer)

5.178 Colts pick: Nick Saldiveri, OT Old Dominion (Depth/swing OT)

Overall defense is getting reinforced at CB with cheap deals next 4 years, the OL gets a starter and some depth, Steichen gets some variety in the WR room and Ballard gets his late round LB that can play special teams and develop.

We also leave with 2 1st rounders in 2024 from Commanders and Raiders and a 2nd rounder from the Commanders. Setting us up nicely for the 2024 draft.

My realistic Draft will follow

Here's my QB Draft with TDN Draft some similarities to the one above but no trades.

1.4 Colts: Anthony Richardson QB (Enough has been said about QB)

2.36 Colts pick: Kelee Ringo CB Georgia (Weakest position on Defense, hence the double dip)

3.80 Colts pick: Joe Tippmann IOL, Wisconsin (Starting Guard)

4.107 Colts pick: Thomas Incoom EDGE, Central Michigan (Developmental Pass rusher that needs development but can add depth for now)

5.140 Colts pick: Tyler Scott: WR Cincinnati (In the mold of Tyler Lockett/Devonte Smith speedy small WR that gives the WR group something different)

5.164 Colts pick: Rejzohn Wright CB, Oregon State (Colts may like Dallis Flowers, but I still like double downing at this position in the draft and why not a Beaver [Go Beavs!])

5.178 Colts pick: Nick Saldiveri, OT Old Dominion (Depth/swing OT)

25) Darnell Wright OT Tennessee 

30) Darnell Washington TE Georgia 

35) Mazi Smith DT Michigan 

58) Marvin Mims Jr. WR Oklahoma 

106) Tanner McKee QB Stanford 

135) DeMarvion Overshown LB Texas

165) Garrett Williams CB Syracuse 

192) Ali Gaye Edge LSU

221) Evan Hull RB Northwestern 

227) Anthony Bradford OG LSU 

236) Chamarri Conner CB Virginia Tech

Through trades added Tampa's round 1 and 2 next year. 

Thought it was important to fix the running game we broke last off-season first.

Tanner may only be a back up but he did have quickest release of all qbs in this draft. Mims separation was also top 3 this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another TDN mock draft with a trade.

Trade

IND 35 for PHI 63, 95, 250, and 2024 6th

4. C.J. Stroud QB, Ohio State - He somehow falls and we get our QB of the future.

63. Zach Harrison EDGE, Ohio State - An absolute physical freak and exactly the type of pass rusher Ballard looks for. He underperformed expectations in college, but has every physical tool you could ask for in a pass rusher. If he can develop further to reach anywhere near his ceiling, he'll be an absolute menace.

80. Daiyan Henley LB, Washington State - I've mocked him before. Another traits-based pick that would give us a converted WR/DB at LB that has great movement and coverage skills. He's just a little raw when it comes to the LB specific skills and will need some refinement.

95 Tyrique Stevenson CB, Miami - A Ballard CB build to a T. Great in press-man, but struggles a bit in zone. Will take some time to develop into a starting CB, but I think he has a high ceiling and we have a coaching staff that I think could really help him develop.

107 Atonio Mafi G, UCLA - One of our top 30 visits. An absolute unit at OG, 6'4" 344lbs and is a converted NT. He's powerful, has a good anchor, and can move guys in the run game. A little bit lacking on the lateral agility, so stunts can give him trouble, but he's also fairly new to the position (converted to OG in 2020). He'll absolutely thrive in a power-run scheme at RG. 

140 Tyler Scott WR, Cincinnati - I absolutely love the prospect of Scott in our offense. He's a bit on the small side, but would be a weapon out of the slot.

164 Owen Pappoe LB, Auburn - Another Ballard-type LB. A bit undersized with long arms and athletic. At the very least, he would be solid depth and a great ST addition.

178 Tyjae Spears RB, Tulane - Just BPA at this point. Had a great showing at the Senior Bowl, which we know Ballard covets. A nice change of pace back to add to our depth.

223 Nick Saldiveri OT, Old Dominion - Can't pass up the chance to bring in a solid depth piece from ODU (local to me). Athletic OT, who could play just about anywhere along the line. Could definitely use some work in the weight room and overall development, but very solid depth.

238 Yasir Abdullah LB, Louisville - I still don't see him falling this far, but I see Abdullah as more of a designated pass rusher early in his career vs off-line LB. Undersized as an edge rusher, but explosive and has amazing bend.

250 Ricky Stromberg IOL, Arkansas - Just late round depth at C. Not a high ceiling guy, which is usually what Ballard goes for with later picks, but I panicked.

• 2 weeks later...

Trade -

Pick 4 - Jalen Carter & Pick 79 - Warren McClendon to Raiders

Pick 7, Pick 38, & Pick 70 to Colts

7. Christian Gonzalez, CB Oregon
35. O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida
38. Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee
70. Marvin Mims Jr., WR Oklahoma
106. Ivan Pace Jr., LB Cincinnati
138. Ronnie Hickman, S Ohio State
162. Isaiah McGuire, EDGE Missouri
169. Clayton Tune, QB Houston
221. Deneric Prince, RB Tulsa
236. Spencer Anderson, OC Maryland

In this mock, Young, Stroud, & Anderson are gone, so trade back and get the top rated CB in the draft, and pick up some extra picks.  Doubled up on QB to create competition and as insurance if Hooker isn't ready mid-season.  

On 1/25/2023 at 12:34 PM, Shive said:

Just did a mock draft on https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/, but missed being able to screenshot just my draft, so I'll type it out. No trades on this one.

1. CJ Stroud, QB - He's my favorite at this spot at the moment. Our HC/OC hire could impact this pick, but for now, this is my guy.
  2. O'Cyrus Torrence, OG - I've seen him pop up in the 1st round some, so I don't know if he'd be here, but if he is, he would give another absolute mauler opposite Nelson.
  3. Byron Young, DT - Just a powerhouse, especially for his size (6'3", 292lb). At the moment, he's an elite run defender, but has traits to be a good pass rusher as well.
  4. Zach Harrison, DE - Absolute freak athlete, who just hasn't lived up to his hype coming out of HS. He's awkwardly stiff, so at the moment a much more linear rusher than bendy, but has way too much upside to pass on at this point.
  5. Joe Tippmann, C - Another mauler to add to the OL. 6'6" 312lbs, but extremely quick off the snap and plays with surprisingly good leverage for his height. Bonus that he's also an IN native.
  6. Jayden Reed, WR - Reminds me of a smaller, poor-man's AJ Brown. Doesn't have elite speed, but good acceleration and contact balance. Generates YAC out of the slot and brings return ability as well.
  7. Riley Moss, CB - Productive CB in college. Has a strong athletic profile with a great vertical jump (was also a collegiate hurdler). Has sufficient long speed, does well in zone coverage, and is quick to break on passes, so he may be an ideal fit in the slot. Doesn't meet the arm length threshold, but plays like he has longer arms than he does, so I don't think it's an issue.
  8. (7th) YaYa Diaby, EDGE - Would be a designated pass rusher to start, but has the size and length to be at least quality depth. A speed to power rusher that uses his long arms well, but needs to develop better lateral counters and needs to get better in run defense.

Could be close… 

Archived